Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #281
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Young and tex need to stay. Everyone else is expendable based on the deal. Hell either of them could go if it involved getting liriano or king felix but i dont see that happening.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 04:41 PM   #282
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Young and Tex are expendable as far as I'm concerned. Tex's production (since the scandal's) has mysteriously degenerated. I'd miss Michael Young, but that man deserves to play for a team that doesn't repeat the same mistakes year after year.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #283
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Tex would have been tradeable if we hadnt traded gonzalez. BTW who woulda thunk it that gonzalez would hit more homers than tex this year?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #284
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Young and Tex are expendable as far as I'm concerned. Tex's production (since the scandal's) has mysteriously degenerated. I'd miss Michael Young, but that man deserves to play for a team that doesn't repeat the same mistakes year after year.
Yeah, Tex's production was REALLY down last year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #285
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Newberg just sent a flash that we've sent cash for Miquel Ojeda, your prototypical backup catcher.

I have to assume this means we've traded Barajas, or that we're very close to doing so. All we can do now is wait and see what for. There were a lot of rumors that JD was shopping Wilk and Barajas together for pitching.

It could mean they traded Laird, obviously, but you'd have to think that be a pretty big deal if Laird was involved, since JD showed this offseason that he was more willing to give up Chris Young than Laird.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-30-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #286
Five-ofan
Guru

Could it be that he is trading barajas simply to force buck to play laird? I think barajas is over criticized and an above average major league catcher but good lord man, Laird is hitting 350 and is better defensively. The avg would probably come down with more playing time but until it does, you have to keep playing him.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #287
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Could it be that he is trading barajas simply to force buck to play laird? I think barajas is over criticized and an above average major league catcher but good lord man, Laird is hitting 350 and is better defensively. The avg would probably come down with more playing time but until it does, you have to keep playing him.
No, I don't think he'd dump Barajas for nothing, just to force Buck's hand. Barajas probably has a bit of value, as he is playing a bit above average, although his defense has been iffy lately.

Anything we got for Barajas would be gravy, as simply inserting Laird into the everyday lineup would be like adding another bat. Laird's at bats are getting high enough that his sample size is starting to look like he could actually maintain a pace somewhere close to what he's doing now.

On a side note, how great is it to have a catcher that can bunt for a base hit practically whenever he decides to, unless they honor it?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #288
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, Mench with all four of Mil's RBI today.

I'll be very interested to see if Mench starts to turn it on a little with the change of scenery.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #289
Five-ofan
Guru

I wish him well, but it doesnt bother me either way, he wasnt gonna do a whole lot here. Does anyone have any clue who we might have traded Barajas to? If its laird could it be part of the tejada trade and we added bedard to the deal? Is there anyone here who WOULDNT do a blalock, laird, Danks, hurley and arias for Bedard and Tejada?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-30-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #290
Five-ofan
Guru

btw, mike young has said if the rangers get tejada that he would be willing to be the one to move to third. man what an awesome guy he is.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #291
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I wish him well, but it doesnt bother me either way, he wasnt gonna do a whole lot here. Does anyone have any clue who we might have traded Barajas to? If its laird could it be part of the tejada trade and we added bedard to the deal? Is there anyone here who WOULDNT do a blalock, laird, Danks, hurley and arias for Bedard and Tejada?
I don't think I'd do it with Laird in there. You're already taking on a huge contract, and giving up your two of your top three pitchign prospects, maybe even top two, and your best position prospect. I'd have to think you could get that done by including, say Botts, instead of Laird.

Adam Morris raised a pretty good point on his blog. Ojeda's played the majority of the season in the minors, and isn't even on the 25 man roster. So it isn't out of the question at all that JD did this just in case he traded one of our catchers, not because he already had or was very close to doing so. We did only send cash, no players of any kind, for Ojeda.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-30-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #292
Five-ofan
Guru

Thats true about the maybe not having a trade idea but as for the trade i mentioned, its not really a slam dunk but i would do it i think. Tejadas contract isnt that huge(its less than what lee wants) and you are getting bedard who is more than likely better than what either of the pitching prospects will ever be
Old 07-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #293
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Thats true about the maybe not having a trade idea but as for the trade i mentioned, its not really a slam dunk but i would do it i think. Tejadas contract isnt that huge(its less than what lee wants) and you are getting bedard who is more than likely better than what either of the pitching prospects will ever be
But remember, JD valued Laird over Chris Young this offseason. He views Laird as a "special player" at the position. You're already giving Baltimore your best position prospect and a young (albeit disappointing) third baseman. I'm just not sure you'd also have to give them your two best arms in the minors, and a potential all star catcher (according to the GM).

If they let me take Danks out of the deal, they can have Laird. Otherwise, I'm putting Nelson Cruz, or Botts, or Webster, someone like that in the deal, but not Laird.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-30-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #294
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Barajas and Laird are not in the lineup tonight. We're facing a lefty, so that's most likely the reason, but Wilk did DH against a lefty last night.

Take it for what it's worth.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #295
Five-ofan
Guru

Ok im all for that though i would be a whole lot more inclined to give up laird than danks.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #296
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Texas has dealt RHP Bryan Corey to Boston for 22-year-old RHP Luis Mendoza, who has split the season between High A and AA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #297
Five-ofan
Guru

Its not a big deal but we werent gonna keep him anyway as we had dfa him so its a decent enough move.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #298
Drbio
Banned

ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Rangers have set the bar for Miguel Tejada with a four-player offer centered around Hank Blalock, but the Orioles are "unhappy with the pitching coming back" in the Texas offer. Nonetheless, the offer itself has upped the ante for the Angels, Dodgers and Astros. Is Daniels actually hoping to get Tejeda, or is he merely bidding up the pot?
Even more interesting. Stark writes that the Rangers have offered Brad Wilkerson, sometimes as a tag team with Rod Barajas, for pitching and that he’s made offers to Houston (for Brad Lidge), Cleveland (for Jake Westbrook). Daniels has also "kicked the tires" on one of the White Sox starters (the slumping Mark Buehrle?). No takers as of yet.

Good thing there's virtually no chance that Texas will have to face the mighty Royals in the playoffs, huh?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #299
Five-ofan
Guru

Nice hit Derosa.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #300
Five-ofan
Guru

If we got lidge for that i would have laughed so hard.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #301
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
btw, mike young has said if the rangers get tejada that he would be willing to be the one to move to third. man what an awesome guy he is.
Michael Young is simply the best clubhouse guy in all of baseball period. AND he is arguably the best player. If I am starting a team from scratch and have the first pick he is it over everybody else in mlb.

Last edited by Drbio; 07-30-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #302
Drbio
Banned

Here is the official notice on the Ojeda trade.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers acquired catcher Miguel Ojeda from the Colorado Rockies for cash on Sunday and assigned him to Triple-A Oklahoma.
Ojeda has played in parts of four major league seasons with San Diego, Seattle and Colorado. He has a .222 average with 15 home runs in 207 career games. Signed by Pittsburgh in 1993, Ojeda spent most of 1995-2002 playing in his native Mexico.

In 25 games this season for the Rockies, Ojeda hit .230 with two home runs and 11 RBI. He was sent to the minors June 2, and Colorado later loaned him to the New Mexico City Reds, where he hit .316 with two homers and 10 RBI in 26 games.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #303
Five-ofan
Guru

Just finished my own deadline deal, Mike Young, Ibanez, Durham and cameron for Manny ramirez and David Wright. Pleasure dealing with you Ninko.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-30-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #304
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Michael Young IS the best clubhouse guy in the league...there's just no denying that. That guy has a NEGATIVE ego.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #305
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Michael Young is simply the best clubhouse guy in all of baseball period. AND he is arguably the best player. If I am starting a team from scratch and have the first pick he is it over everybody else in mlb.
I love Mikey Young, but that's going a bit far. There's at least 5 guys that would be more valuable for you from a position player standpoint, and there's quite a few pitchers.

But, I do love him, and he is a great guy, and he better retire a Ranger.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #306
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

From John Carroll at Baseball Prospectus:

The source tells me that the Rangers would send Brad Wilkerson and Rod Barajas to Houston for Brad Lidge, Morgan Ensberg and Fernando Nieve.

Now, I'm a Wilkerson apologist. I think he's hurt, and once he has surgery he'd be a really nice player in our outfield. He works pitchers really well, and is underrated defensively.

All that said, I have a hard time believing that can actually be real proposed trade. That would seem to be absolute thievery, unless Ensberg has a contract they're trying to unload. Even then, that seems ridiculously one-sided. Carroll said later in that article that that is the package the Astrols offered for Tejada. Surely it would take more than Wilkerson and Barajas to get that same package....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #307
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just finished my own deadline deal, Mike Young, Ibanez, Durham and cameron for Manny ramirez and David Wright. Pleasure dealing with you Ninko.
You gave up a lot, didn't you? Durham has been ripping the cover off it. (I was happy to claim him off waivers a couple weeks ago.) I have Manny, so I appreciate what he can bring to the table. But I hope your other infielders are stout!

I would love to see that proposed Rangers trade go down.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #308
Drbio
Banned

Thiggy- that Astros trade has been shot down. Newberg and others are reporting it as dead.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #309
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Thiggy- that Astros trade has been shot down. Newberg and others are reporting it as dead.
Yeah, I know. I mainly posted it because I had such a hard time believing that particular package was even discussed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #310
Drbio
Banned

Even more stupid was Steve Phillips saying the Rangers just offered Blalock for Lidge straight up.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #311
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

And RotoWorld is saying that the Astros offered Roy Oswalt plus others for Tejada. Ummm, wouldn't it have to be Oswalt for Tejada plus others? In whose mind is Tejada a more valuable commodity than Roy freaking Oswalt?

These rumors are ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #312
Drbio
Banned

From FOX....Roy Oswalt was almost a Ranger. *Sigh*

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 minutes ago // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.displa y = 'none';
if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[i][4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[i][0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } The Astros are out of the Miguel Tejada sweepstakes.

"It's over," an Astros official told FOXSports.com Sunday night. "We told them we're not dealing with them anymore."
The Astros' frustration apparently stemmed from their belief that they had a Tejada blockbuster in place Friday night, only to have that deal and later proposals quashed by Orioles owner Peter Angelos.
But there may have been another issue.
The Astros, according to a major-league official with knowledge of the discussions, feared that the Orioles would flip their most prized acquisition for Tejada — Astros right-hander Roy Oswalt — to Houston's cross-state rival, the Texas Rangers.
The Orioles, according to the official, intended to trade Oswalt to the Rangers for a package of three players — third baseman Hank Blalock, Triple-A shortstop Joaquin Arias and one of the Rangers' top pitching prospects.
They also would have ended up with two other players from the Astros — third baseman Morgan Ensberg and shortstop Adam Everett — effectively making the deal a 5-for-1 for Tejada.
Presumably, the Orioles then would have spun one of the third basemen, Blalock or Ensberg, or shifted one of them to first, while moving their current third baseman, Melvin Mora, to the outfield.
For the Astros, losing Oswalt to the Rangers would have been a public-relations nightmare, evoking memories of when Nolan Ryan went from Houston to Texas. The Astros had similar concerns when Roger Clemens was courted by the Rangers as a free agent last spring.
The Orioles still have a chance to make a similar deal with the Rangers by substituting Tejada for Oswalt, the official says. But barring an unexpected twist, that might be their only chance to complete a Tejada blockbuster.
The Angels, who offered the Orioles a package of right-hander Ervin Santana and Triple-A shortstop Erick Aybar for Tejada, also have pulled out of the Tejada discussions, the official says. The Dodgers are not actively pursuing Tejada, other sources say.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5831512

Last edited by Drbio; 07-30-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #313
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Holy crap that would have been sweet. I don't care who the pitching prospect was, Danks included, that would have been one hell of a trade.

I still fail to see what the Astros are doing here, or were trying to do. I undertand they need offense in a bad way, but Oswalt, PLUS OTHERS for Tejada? That's insane.

I would still do Blalock, Arias and Diamond for Tejada in an instant.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-30-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #314
Drbio
Banned

I would have crapped my pants. And I agree about the trade you proposed.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM   #315
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

nice to see the bats awaken last night...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 AM   #316
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You gave up a lot, didn't you? Durham has been ripping the cover off it. (I was happy to claim him off waivers a couple weeks ago.) I have Manny, so I appreciate what he can bring to the table. But I hope your other infielders are stout!

I would love to see that proposed Rangers trade go down.
I dont really believe in what Durham is doing and i have Uggla and sanchez(leading the nl in hitting) so yeah im still solid at second and i still have jose reyes at ss. My lineup is now
Joe Mauer
Ryan Howard
Uggla
Reyes
Wright
Bay
Ramirez
GMJ
Giles
Rolen

Pitchers
Zambrano
Verlander
Bonderman
Harang
Weaver(Jered)
Johnson (Josh)
Padilla

relievers
Nathan
Putz

I gave up 2 starters and got back 2 starters while trading away a large part of my depth. I can find people to make up the depth.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #317
Drbio
Banned

It's appropriate that you have Putz on your roster.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #318
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

Man if the rangers had got Oswalt , that would have been insane!, i think there's a reason for getting that catcher from Colorado. Hopefully the Rangers can get some pitching out of Barajas/Blalock

Last edited by TomThaMavsFan; 07-31-2006 at 09:10 AM.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #319
Drbio
Banned

ESPN's Rob Neyer and Jayson Stark are reporting the A's are close to a deal for Soriano.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #320
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
ESPN's Rob Neyer and Jayson Stark are reporting the A's are close to a deal for Soriano.
Wow...that's unexpected.