Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-28-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default NBA preview: Southwest (Kerr)

Link

NBA preview: Southwest

by Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
October 27, 2004

When Don Nelson took over the Knicks in 1994, he vowed to turn the Patrick Ewing-led team into an entertaining, up-tempo unit. Ewing, however, wasn't so enthralled with the plan, and he never felt comfortable playing Nellie's style. He wanted to do what he'd always done – slow the game down, get the ball on the low post and dominate the action.

The two butted heads. Gone after just 34 games into the season, Nellie was replaced by Jeff Van Gundy.

I raise the issue because while Nellie always has longed for a big man, he never has felt totally comfortable coaching one. He always has loved to play "small ball," and the Mavericks have thrived as a running team for the past five seasons.

But with Steve Nash gone and Erick Dampier wearing a Dallas uniform, Nelson is confronted with a dilemma: Change the up-tempo style that he loves and instead play a defensive, plodding game, or get Dampier to adapt and get out and run.

Neither style sounds like it will come naturally. But if the Mavericks are to compete in the NBA's toughest division – the Southwest – Nelson and Dampier will have to be comfortable together.

1. San Antonio Spurs

Tim Duncan is the best player in the game. Kevin Garnett may be more versatile and definitely deserved the MVP last season, but Duncan is much stronger and dominates games on the low post, forcing teams to alter their defensive strategies.

With Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the backcourt, the Spurs have two daring, athletic guards who attack the basket. Bruce Bowen sets the tone for the defense with his lockdown, aggressive style. Brent Barry gives the Spurs great versatility and outside shooting in the backcourt, and he'll see a lot of open shots playing with Duncan.

2. Houston Rockets

The Rockets spent a week this month in China, where Yao Ming is more popular than Michael Jordan. If Yao continues to improve at such a rapid rate, he might eventually enjoy similar success to MJ as well.

The Rockets are a team on the rise, and with Yao teaming with Tracy McGrady, Jeff Van Gundy has the half-court weapons he needs in his patient (read: slow) attack. The big question for Houston is who will step in at point guard. Charlie Ward? Tyronn Lue? Bobby Sura?

3. Memphis Grizzlies

What a fantastic season the Grizzlies had last season. Now the expectations are high, of course, and the Grizzlies must respond. With Hubie Brown running the show, it's tough to see this team not succeeding.

Memphis added tough shooter Brian Cardinal to an already deep rotation, and they'll rely on defense, running and hard work to wear the opposition down. Pau Gasol is the big gun for the Grizzlies, and if he can dominate in the low post, they won't have as difficult of a time scoring against the better defenses as they did last season.

4. Dallas Mavericks

Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley return, but their former running mate Steve Nash is not there to lead them.

Can this team continue to thrive on running and sharing the ball with the new additions of Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse? Both would much rather shoot than pass, and when you throw Dampier into the mix, you wonder how this group will blend together. Nellie has his hands full.

5. New Orleans Hornets

Realignment was not kind to the Hornets. Last season, they were a popular pick to win the Eastern Conference. Now they're a unanimous pick for last place in the Southwest Division.

With Jamal Mashburn out for the season with a knee injury, it figures to be a tough season for New Orleans. Baron Davis will run the offense, and he and David Wesley will cast away from the perimeter. Rookie J.R. Smith also has deep range, and he has scored in bunches in the preseason. P.J. Brown anchors the defense and provides veteran leadership.

The Hornets aren't that bad, but they're in the wrong division.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:NBA preview: Southwest (Kerr)

Just about what I expect from Kerr. I have precious little respect for him as a basketball analyst anymore.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: NBA preview: Southwest (Kerr)

San Antonio
Dallas
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans

Houston and Memphis could go the other way... but Memphis had a great season last year because of their lack of injuries. Things just went their way... that won't always happen.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

the feared and dreaded dp

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the backcourt, the Spurs have two daring, athletic guards who attack the basket.
just the other day I was wonder where have all the DARING players gone....now I know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
The big question for Houston is who will step in at point guard. Charlie Ward? Tyronn Lue? Bobby Sura?
but this is just a little detail....I mean point guard isnt that important....so they can still finish ahead of the Grizz and Mavs....I am sounding the idiot alert...save the woman and children...especially the cute women!!!

Old 10-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i think 4th may be quite acurate. The Nellie regime will fail not playing small ball.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #8
bricklayer

bricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the roughbricklayer is a jewel in the rough

Good job Seal, makes Kerr look like an idiot. Couldn't find the season predictions though. I know I was way off on Seattle but would like to see where my picks are.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

wow thanks for the heads up. I don't think the order will deviate from that, but if anybody the Mavs could make a run at the Spurs.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: bricklayer
Good job Seal, makes Kerr look like an idiot.
Ridiculous. Kerr simply over-estimated what Nash's loss would mean to the Mavs.

Truth be told, so did I, and so did most of you. Go back and read the board comments during that summer. Many were completely aghast that Nash left, and fretted over Harris being thrust into the starting position. With Nash, Walker and Jamison gone, and Dampier, Terry and Stack-cancer in, the Mavs were a pretty big question mark.

But Dirk has played wonderfully, and Terry is doing a good job now that he's a starter.

So...simply push the under-valued Mavs into second place, and Kerr is dead-on.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: TVI
Quote:
Originally posted by: bricklayer
Good job Seal, makes Kerr look like an idiot.
Ridiculous. Kerr simply over-estimated what Nash's loss would mean to the Mavs.

Truth be told, so did I, and so did most of you. Go back and read the board comments during that summer. Many were completely aghast that Nash left, and fretted over Harris being thrust into the starting position. With Nash, Walker and Jamison gone, and Dampier, Terry and Stack-cancer in, the Mavs were a pretty big question mark.

But Dirk has played wonderfully, and Terry is doing a good job now that he's a starter.

Kerr has had plenty of times this season where he ends up sticking his foot in his mouth. Not to mention everytime he broadcasts a Spurs game he's homer to the max.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kerr also picked the Kings to miss the playoffs.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

just so we all are on the same page without bumping another Kerr article, he predicted the West to come out this way.

1) Spurs
2) Wolves
3) Nuggets
4) Jazz
5) Rockets
6) Grizzlies
7) Lakers
8) Suns
==================
9) Mavs
10) Kings
11) Blazers
12) Clippers
13) Hornets
14) Warriors
15) Supersonics

BTW: Nuggets couldnt be 3rd anyway could they with Minnesota second. Maybe he was talking record and not seeding.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #14
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Kerr has had plenty of times this season where he ends up sticking his foot in his mouth. Not to mention everytime he broadcasts a Spurs game he's homer to the max.
Last night's game was almost unwatchable. I found myself dry-heaving after every comment.

Steve Kerr is a major tool.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Steve Kerr is a major tool.
...and a bad broadcaster...there's some really awkward chemistry between him and Albert with the Czar gone.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #16
veryclueless

veryclueless is on a distinguished road

i respected him as a player but after browsing through the forum i think this guy i so sad...
i just followed nba for a year or two..did the mavs release him? trade him away? look over him in the draft?
It seems like the mavs insulted his mother or something......
veryclueless is offline   Reply With Quote