Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default 2008

Now, I thought I would be burned out on politics, but 3 days of rest was more than enough.

2008 is already becoming an interesting year. No incumbent VP.

Republicans
Who will run?
Are there any all stars? Guilliani? George Pataki? Bill Owens?
Will the Bush presidency produce an “incumbent” from the cabinet (Rice, Powell)?

I think it would be interesting to see Hillary Clinton vs. Condoleeza Rice. I don’t see this as the matchup Hillary wants.

If Guilliani or Pataki run, they may take NY, which would end any democrat hopes of victory.

Democrats
Hillary will probably run, unless the Democratic party changes direction (which I doubt will happen without a landslide this year). Personally, I think Hillary is easy to beat in 2008. She is off-the-map liberal. She will have to be anti-war, even though she voted for the war (shall I quote Kerry?). And she is naggy. I can't see many men putting her in charge.

I also expect John Edwards to run in the primary. I don’t see any other standout democrats from this far out. Obama is a few terms away.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2008

Maybe Al Gore will throw his hat in the ring again...
Old 11-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I expect to see John McCain run again
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE:2008

My early prediction is that Guliani will be the candidate, Frist is already setting up a staff so it won't be without competition. McCain has made too many enemies due to his proclivity to speak his mind and not be a party loyalist. Romney is a young energetic Gov. who can be a bright, new face.

I don't expect Hillary to run, she sees the national polls which have an almost 40% hardline opposition to her. Those who believe that she is "too liberal" should look at her record which is very centrist, and her job approval is over 60%, with the number of those who see her negatively down below 30% (in NY). A wide open field that will start to get focus in '06. Will there be a return to the centrist old faces like Lieberman? Edwards will not be a factor, he didn't show much during his time in the spotlight.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Guilliani, Pataki, Romney and McCain are all pro-choice and considering that the Christian vote and the concern for morals values won this election, It's a bad strategy to put in a pro-choice candidate, though I don't doubt it could happen. When a party no longer matches the people, that is when the platform needs to change, not when you swept the last 3 major elections.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to Hillary in '06 will have a major impact on her prospects for '08. If Pataki runs against her, we should see some things shake out.

In my opinion, it would take a colossally poor second Bush term for Hillary to have any chance in '08.

If it's a strong Bush second term, my money would be on Jeb in '08. Rice and Powell would be other interesting "incumbents." Though Powell will probably not be part of the cabinet at that time.

Bill Richardson might be a likely Democrat. I tend to agree that Obama is a few terms away. It will also be interesting to see who comes forward first, Obama or Ford. Ford actually probably stands a better chance, given that he would seem to have an advantage in the South.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Give me the venerable Rice for the Republicans in 2008.

You heard it here first. Write it down, take it to your bookie and bank on it.

Rice/Bush vs. Clinton/Obama

edit: The Bush vice Pres. pick was really just pulled out of my you-know-what... so you can replace that with any other prominent Republican figure if you want to. Like Rice/Giuliani or Rice/McCain... or whatever.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

Rice/Rumsfeld!

Ok, not likely, but can you imagine the VP debate?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

With any luck at all it will be Powell\Rice vs Clinton\Obama

or possibly Powell\Bush.

My other choice would be The Terminator\Powell, but I don't think that Arnie can run because he isn't a natural-born citizen.
Arnie\Powell would win an amazing amount of votes.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

We should make the push for Kay Baily to run against Hillary
Old 11-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Kay Bailey is money.

I still think the next repub comes from Rudy G, Jeb Bush, Colin Powell, and maybe Rice. I'd put McCain, but I doubt the repubs would allow him to make it due to his propensity to break with the party.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Kay Bailey... how bitter would the Dems be if there were a Texas President for 16 years in a row. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
jacktruth
Golden Member

I like Kay Bailey pretty well, but If I would head in with a Female Candidate, I would go with Condi way before KB. It would be difficult to get a Woman elected, but Condi would destroy her opposition rhetorically and would put to rest the gender questions. I can't imagine who would want to debate her. She would probably also carry the female vote and the African-America vote.

Kay-Bailey would probably do about as well as Elizabeth Dole.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #14
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know enough to speculate, but I have to agree with Mavdog on Edwards. I thought he demonstrated possession of a great big empty bag this year.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #15
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Rice? The lady hasn't run for office EVER. Not very likely.
Powell? I don't know if he is "republican" enough.

Kay Bailey Hutchinson? She's going to run for TX Governor in '06 (and that race will be fun! Who has the better hair, Kay Bailey or Perry?), I'm not so sure that she wants anything to do with the Washington scene anymore.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Rice at best might make a decent choice for running mate if she does well over the next 4 years. I see her as a serious contender for a perrenial cabinet spot however, although I have heard rumors that she desires to return to academia. I seriosuly doubt she would ever be a candidate for President.

Giulliani, Powell and Jeb Bush have to be todays front runners, with McCain getting some lateral consideration.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #17
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

A McCain/ Giuliani ticket would be TOUGH to beat on the Republican side.

On the Democratic side....how about Gore/Hillary.

That would be a fun race.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:58 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Hillary for the Big One. You heard here first. It won't be a harder time than with Thatcher, I assure you.

Man, this is gonna be good.

Edit. To relax the moment, a classic:

Old 11-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #19
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

ahahahaha, genius!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
Hillary for the Big One. You heard here first. It won't be a harder time than with Thatcher, I assure you.

Man, this is gonna be good.

Edit. To relax the moment, a classic:

For those of you who don't know the greatness of this picture....the soldier is giving the sign that indicates that he is being forced to do this. U.S. soldiers have various signs to indicate when they are being forced to say or do things against their will.

The Hildebeast must have arranged this somehow because this soldier wants absolutely NO PART of her.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #21
jacktruth
Golden Member

Today, I'm thinking Bill Frist as the 2008 Republican nominee.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
I like Kay Bailey pretty well, but If I would head in with a Female Candidate, I would go with Condi way before KB. It would be difficult to get a Woman elected, but Condi would destroy her opposition rhetorically and would put to rest the gender questions. I can't imagine who would want to debate her. She would probably also carry the female vote and the African-America vote.

Kay-Bailey would probably do about as well as Elizabeth Dole.
Condi has never run for public office and would get killed in a national election. The strategy that got Eisenhower elected was to keep him as far away from people as possible. That won't work for Condi Rice.

Supposedly somebody on TV asked KBH if she was entertaining a run for the presidency. Her answer was apparently a stare. Which can be interpreted two ways: (i) "I am not saying right now"; or (ii) "Are you on dope?"

I keep hearing she's running for Governor so she can spend more time with her kid.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see condi or kay bailey getting it done. Rudi, McCain and some unknown as of yet republican governor. I don't know about frist or hillary, senators just don't make very good candidates.

I'd put rudi as the front-runner.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:35 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

Kay Baily for 2016!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #25
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Am I reading that John Kerry has announced his intention to run again for president in 2008?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Am I reading that John Kerry has announced his intention to run again for president in 2008?
It depends on which hour of which day you ask him.