Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default job hunting advice?

So I just graduated from college (whoo HOO!) & I'm in the midst of the Great Job Hunt From Hell. Anyone have advice as to where to look? I've already been looking regularly at all the obvious places--my school's career center, Monster, Hot Jobs, etc, plus pretty much every major PR agency in the country--but so far, I'm not having much luck. Specifically, there doesn't seem to be much for entry level out there (I'm looking for public relations, communications or marketing).

Oh & I've heard the "it's all about networking" speech already & tragically, my previous experience doesn't really help much in that department & coming right out of school, I just don't have a lot of contacts. I don't feel like I'm going to be able to depend on that.

Help, anyone?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE: job hunting advice?

For your sake I'd say get the hell outta Austin. We got so many college educated 20-somethings here slicing bagels and selling shoes it aint even funny.

Of course, I should practice what I'm preaching....

Good luck on your search. You might wanna try standing outside GSD&M with a sign that says "HIRE ME!"
Old 05-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: job hunting advice?

The best advise ever: start your own company. Very small if you can't more, but in 10 years it won't be small. Not money, fear, and inexperience? in 10 years you'll have money, guts, and experience, and it is going to be ALL YOURS.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE:job hunting advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
So I just graduated from college (whoo HOO!) & I'm in the midst of the Great Job Hunt From Hell. Anyone have advice as to where to look? I've already been looking regularly at all the obvious places--my school's career center, Monster, Hot Jobs, etc, plus pretty much every major PR agency in the country--but so far, I'm not having much luck. Specifically, there doesn't seem to be much for entry level out there (I'm looking for public relations, communications or marketing).

Oh & I've heard the "it's all about networking" speech already & tragically, my previous experience doesn't really help much in that department & coming right out of school, I just don't have a lot of contacts. I don't feel like I'm going to be able to depend on that.

Help, anyone?

what kind of job are you looking for? the company i work for is currently hiring for some business analyst positions. PM me if you are interested in that type of work.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:job hunting advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
what kind of job are you looking for? the company i work for is currently hiring for some business analyst positions. PM me if you are interested in that type of work.
Thanks for the thought, but that's probably way out of my skills set. I'm looking for a PR position or something in a marketing department. Ideally, I'd like to work in sports PR (like in the Communications Department of a sports team), but right now I'm looking at everything.