Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default What is the best way to support the troops?

Living in San Antonio, we have a number of military installations.

If we truly want to do something in a tangible way to actually help our servicemen and women who are wounded and in military hospitals--as well as the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan--give some ideas of things that we could do to show our support to the troops.

Discuss.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter said the best thing that the soldiers in the field want is letters and stuff from home. We used to send goody boxes of jerkey, magazines, dvds. But I think just hearing from home was appreciated more than anything.

Talking about the lawn, the dogs, aunt suzy...all of the things that are normal. It takes them back to home and they read and re-read it.

It depends however on where they are stationed. If they have a bases nearby they get movies/games stuff all of the time. But cards and letters are always appreciated.

There is always cubans fallen heroes fund and contributions to uso.

I believe they still do the arrival greetings at airports if that is something you like.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll share what I do....
1. Pray for them.
2. Send them emails.
3. Contribute to package drives that send gift boxes etc to them. Your local VFW should have contact info.
4. Buy uniformed soldiers here locally lunch about 2-3 times a week (I see them and anonymously ask for their check from my waiter/waitress) with a note that simply says "Thank you from a grateful nation. God bless."
5. Tell every soldier I see thank you as often as possible.

Last edited by Drbio; 01-15-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Send Pre-Paid Calling Cards, so they can call home. This is something you can do without even know the troop. Even if you're too busy, Just stop by your local recruiting office with some and they can take care of the rest for you.
Also this may seem stupid, but Carpool. Be conscious of your use of gas, and oil.
The less dependent you are on fossil fuels the less time we have to spend in countries rich with them. Some may argue this isn't a war for oil, and for the most part I agree. But there is some element of that. Everyday we spend over here wasting fuel is another day someone has to spend over there ensuring insurgents don't blow up refineries. It may seem far reaching but I like to think that to really honor the sacrifices made, I can do my part to end our need to rely on their exports. Diplomacy can go further if we can embargo and put trade restrictions on these nations. If we rely to much on their exports this is not an option. It may not make a difference now, but maybe someday.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'll share what I do....
1. Pray for them.
2. Send them emails.
3. Contribute to package drives that send gift boxes etc to them. Your local VFW should have contact info.
4. Buy uniformed soldiers here locally lunch about 2-3 times a week (I see them and anonymously ask for their check from my waiter/waitress) with a note that simply says "Thank you from a grateful nation. God bless."
6. Vote Republican
Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
6. Vote Republican
damn.. I wish I'd said that!!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Sorry guys--

I've voted Republican for most of my adult life.

I did not want this to become a debate on Rep v. Dem.

I wanted a precise set of options to help our troops--

Regardless of how you feel about the war, the surge or the next phase...

These men and women need our support--

Thanks, Doc, for your ideas.

I have a family of young nephews who I intend to enlist in our own series of coming to the aid of our country--to support our true American heroes--

Our troops.

God bless our troops.

Please do not allow this thread to become hijacked--to morph into another set of shrill political rantings from the left or the right. We have threads which accomplish that already.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
Sorry guys--

I've voted Republican for most of my adult life.

I did not want this to become a debate on Rep v. Dem.

I wanted a precise set of options to help our troops--

Regardless of how you feel about the war, the surge or the next phase...

These men and women need our support--

Thanks, Doc, for your ideas.

I have a family of young nephews who I intend to enlist in our own series of coming to the aid of our country--to support our true American heroes--

Our troops.

God bless our troops.

Please do not allow this thread to become hijacked--to morph into another set of shrill political rantings from the left or the right. We have threads which accomplish that already.
On the contrary.... You asked for solutions and I was just adding to Doc's almost complete list. You can just sit back and watch as the Democrats slowly but most assuredly will put a choke hold on the lifeline of support the previous Congress gave them. But we asked for it. Well, I didn't... but the American public did.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Big Shot Rob

Fine.

This will only engender a response by members of this message board which do not support Bush and the Repubs.

Then we have another series of bomb throwing rantings by both the left and the right.

I was trying to elicit concrete, precise steps that we as American citizens can do to show our support for the troops by giving them tangible aid and comfort--a laundry list of things that these folks honestly need.

I know--I know--

They need Republican votes,.

Okay--your point is taken.

Now can we get back to the purpose of this thread?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
On the contrary.... You asked for solutions and I was just adding to Doc's almost complete list. You can just sit back and watch as the Democrats slowly but most assuredly will put a choke hold on the lifeline of support the previous Congress gave them. But we asked for it. Well, I didn't... but the American public did.
with all due respect U2....

it is incorrect to issue a blanket "republicans support our troops" and "democrats do not support our troops" statement.

there are honest disagreements between our elected representitives on how best to support our troops.

a republican can call for disengagement from iraq. does that mean he does not support our troops? no, it doesn't.

likewise a democrat may call for the troops to stay. does that mean they support the troops more than the republican who calls for the troops to come home? no, it doesn't.

it only means the dem supports the president and his iraq policy. it does NOT mean they do or do not support the troops.

a better measure (IMHO) is: does the elected representitive provide to our troops the materials they need to do their mission? do the representitives provide them sufficient wage to provide for their families, families that asked to sacrifice by not having their loved ones around while they serve our country? does the representitive vote to provide the best in medical services to our armed forces?

these questions, much more than party affiliation, best determine if an elected representitive supports our troops.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is the best way to support the troops?
Speaking as a guy who has been there.
Most of the male troops want three things, after prayer (there are no atheists in foxholes when the bullets are flying).

1) Women -- I don't think you really want to send any over there though
2) Alcohol -- Can never get enough to make you forget the mental and physical pain

Of course -- most men 20-30 want #1 and #2 in amounts of "more than they can handle" whether they are soldiers or not.

3) News from the "real world" -- everyone wants to know that they have a place to go back to where they are loved, where peace can be found, a place where they can find fun and peacefulness.

So send cookies, local newspapers, letters, pictures, videos, disposable cameras, local food, cash never hurts (cool to find it with some care package) -- just anything to remind them of why they are fighting and dealing with the situation they are in.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Speaking as a guy who has been there.
Most of the male troops want three things, after prayer (there are no atheists in foxholes when the bullets are flying).

1) Women -- I don't think you really want to send any over there though
2) Alcohol -- Can never get enough to make you forget the mental and physical pain

Of course -- most men 20-30 want #1 and #2 in amounts of "more than they can handle" whether they are soldiers or not.

3) News from the "real world" -- everyone wants to know that they have a place to go back to where they are loved, where peace can be found, a place where they can find fun and peacefulness.

So send cookies, local newspapers, letters, pictures, videos, disposable cameras, local food, cash never hurts (cool to find it with some care package) -- just anything to remind them of why they are fighting and dealing with the situation they are in.
In all seriousness....this may be the best post ever in this forum.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Where do the atheists go when the bullets are flying?
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

they quit being atheists.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #16
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Ah, got it. Never recall hearing that before.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
Where do the atheists go when the bullets are flying?
I guess I should answer this one from this point.

When anyone is put in a position that they think they might die any second, and they are watching people die around them, then they will think about the "future". They will pray to something/someone. It may be their own strength, God, satan, ala, or various other entities, but everyone there realizes that you might not leave there, and that something out there controls your destiny after death.

If you have no destiny after death, then why do you want to live because your life can have NO meaning. You just live, then die -- and the desire to live is within all of us.

So Five-0 is correct --- you quit being an atheist, and believe in a higher power.

Now, for Christians, if they have a personal relationship with Jesus, then they know where they are going, and can get a sense of peacefulness. Yes they are scared, and want to live, but they know if they die, what lies ahead for them. I'm not talking guts, or stupidity, but a peacefulness.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Send Pre-Paid Calling Cards, so they can call home. This is something you can do without even know the troop. Even if you're too busy, Just stop by your local recruiting office with some and they can take care of the rest for you.
Don't they have to be special calling cards though? On ship, and in many (Most? All?) foreign countries, you have to get calling cards that work from those "locations". I was under the impression that most of the ones we buy in the states only work from within North America. Has the military set up a way to use American-based calling cards from some military installations? I had not heard that, but it makes sense that they would set up that option.

There are some neat stories and stuff about how phone cards make a difference. You can even make a donation for calling cards online:
www.operationuplink.org

Quote:
Be conscious of your use of gas, and oil.
Good thoughts! I'm with you.

Last edited by Smiles; 01-25-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I'll share what I do....
1. Pray for them.
2. Send them emails.
Doc and I may not agree on the politics, but he is dead on with his list. My dad was in Vietnam, and when he came back he was treated like crap. Regardless of what you think about the politics and people who are doing this or that, the men and women who are fighting deserve your respect and admiration.

-Oh, and a thing to add is see if there is anything you can do for your local VA hospital or facilities. It is a shame how badly run the VA is. My father and father-in-law both constantly complain about it. It is a huge bureaucracy that needs to be more focused on helping the veterans. I am a strong supporter of VA reform and huge increases in VA funding (that and schools).
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Doc and I may not agree on the politics, but he is dead on with his list. My dad was in Vietnam, and when he came back he was treated like crap. Regardless of what you think about the politics and people who are doing this or that, the men and women who are fighting deserve your respect and admiration.

-Oh, and a thing to add is see if there is anything you can do for your local VA hospital or facilities. It is a shame how badly run the VA is. My father and father-in-law both constantly complain about it. It is a huge bureaucracy that needs to be more focused on helping the veterans. I am a strong supporter of VA reform and huge increases in VA funding (that and schools).
I agree with the VA assesment. My dad uses the one here in Dallas, and it's usually an all-day (at least a half-day) routine. I don't go with him much now that he has a girlfriend.

The pharmacy alone is a nightmare, and it can take hours to get out of there with your correct meds.

If you need to see a VA doctor, you pretty much have no choice but to wait AT LEAST a month to get the appointment. Lets hope they don't screw up on sending your appt notification to you either because that just means another long delay.

So, let's say you think you have bronchitis. You think that you'll be better in a month, so why bother making the appt? Then a couple weeks later, you're flat on your back in the nearest emergency room with pneumonia. In the ER, they have to discuss whether to treat you (and gambe the VA pays them) or to transfer you by ambulance to the VA hospital to be admitted.

Then you finally get your "bronchitis" appointment, and the blood work indicates that your white blood cell count is through the roof. Your bronchitis is either unbelievably bad, or your lymphoma has returned.

So you get to make an appoinment, with a month-long wait, to see the oncologist and run more tests - to see if you need to chemo and bone marrow transplant... both of which will be scheduled to begin another month out. That is, unless you are clearly on your deathbed - in which case you can go to the emergency room where they are obligated to at least stabilize you.

(Please God, Make Feb 5th come fast, and please let everything be okay...)

So, big_pth: Where can I learn about the proposed VA reforms? I didn't know anyone with real power was actually doing something...

Last edited by Smiles; 01-26-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #21
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Smiles

I would think writing your congressman, and the senators would be a way to start. I don't know anyone who is putting VA reform front and center, though I imagine the amount of casualties (and by that I mean wounded, along with those who are just messed up from the experience of people trying to kill them) that these conflicts will generate, it will become more of an issue.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pth

Sounds like the best thing to do is close them all down and give the vets comprehensive health insurance vouchers or stipends. Those places will never reform, there's no money in it.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
big_pth
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Sounds like the best thing to do is close them all down and give the vets comprehensive health insurance vouchers or stipends. Those places will never reform, there's no money in it.
Not gonna happen. Too big of a bureaucracy and too many civilian administrators who are just clock punchers who don't give a rats ass about the troops would lose their jobs.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Not gonna happen. Too big of a bureaucracy and too many civilian administrators who are just clock punchers who don't give a rats ass about the troops would lose their jobs.
Hmmm...sounds like the school systems.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Unfortunately Smiles, my great uncle, the WWII vet with the Bronze star and Purple Heart, has the same problems as well. He moved to College Station this last fall by his daughter, so he could get away from the Dallas VA Hosp who he says is awful. He is less than 10 min away now, and says that the one down there is much better.

Last edited by dalmations202; 01-27-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #26
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Smiles

I would think writing your congressman, and the senators would be a way to start. I don't know anyone who is putting VA reform front and center, though I imagine the amount of casualties (and by that I mean wounded, along with those who are just messed up from the experience of people trying to kill them) that these conflicts will generate, it will become more of an issue.
I was afriad you were going to say that.

Dalmation: I'll tell him about the College Station VA hosp. His dad and brother (and his family) live down there, so I guess he could move, if things get too bad here. He has a girlfriend out in east Texas where he lives though, and her kids go to school there. I doubt he'll move. He wouldn't even go to MD Anderson back when he had regular insurance during the first 2 rounds with the cancer. Oh well, there's still hope his WBC count was high due to having bronchitis for so long.

Last edited by Smiles; 01-27-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #27
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

It's important we take a stand on this issue and stand up to support our soldiers.

http://www.thenrscpledge.com/index.php

Go to www.hughhewitt.com for more information
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

those who seek disengagement from Iraq also support our armed forces.

one does not need to agree with the increase in troop levels to be a supporter of our soldiers.

Last edited by Mavdog; 01-27-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
Big Shot Rob

I was thinking--

It would really be nice if we, as members of this great website, could do something as a group and then maybe keep track.

Like set a goal--see how many packages we can send, etc.

Just something to chew on.

It breaks my heart to see the wounded come in to our local military bases. I keep thinking--there has to be something that I can do as one person to reach out and let them know in a tangible way that we care about them, that we pray for them, that they-are important to us.

And I agree--we must never forget the vets from Viet Name, Korea, and WWII.

God bless the troops.