Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-05-2001, 10:42 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start off by saying that I never got the whole big deal about Keith Van Horn. Never did like him or his game so I may be overlooking something but...WHAT ARE THE JAZZ THINKING?

There talking to the Nets about trading Donyell Marshall and Bryon Russell for Van Horn

Old 06-05-2001, 10:53 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Van Horn's a good player but considering how Marshall broke out this year and that Russell has been a good solid player for the Jazz, I agree with you. What are they thinking [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 10:54 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Jazz plan on re-signing Marshall and/or Russell after their contracts are up next year? They both have one year left on their contracts I think.

I agree with you though..Van Horn's a decent player but the trade seems mighty unbalanced in favor of the Nets. Not only have they been looking to unload Van Horn, but now they not only have the chance to do so, but they can also plug in some gaping holes in their roster with Russell and Marshall. Maybe the Jazz know something we don't? It seems they've been interested in him for a couple years now. Perhaps they think he can thrive within their system, since it's obvious he hasn't played well alongside Marbury.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 10:55 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

He had a stellar rookie year but has been on the decline ever since the team acquired Marbury (that and the injuries). A change in scenery could do him a world of good.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 10:57 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess a change of scenery could be the thing. His injury problem is something I'd look into carefully before giving up Marshall and Russell.
Old 06-05-2001, 11:01 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Maybe they think he'll flourish playing back in Utah, where he played his college ball.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 09:43 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I believe it probably has more to do with that Utah thing too. Also as you said DJ, he played well when he was on the Nets before Marbury so that could be part of the problem too, maybe they feel if he gets to Utah and plays with a player such as Stockton he'll do fine.
Old 06-06-2001, 02:19 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Van Horn is a big-time scorer that doesn't get touches because Marbury monopolizes the offense. In Marbury's offense, you have worthless nothings like Evan Eschmeyer and Lucious Harris getting points while Van Horn's game suffers. This makes Van Horn about as underrated as they come- he is still easily a 20+ player on the Jazz or another team, plus he is still very young at 25 or 26. Then consider that in the next two years or so, the Jazz will have NO real big-time scorers on their team. Malone can hardly create his own shot any more, and he is virtually gone anyway. Without Stockton's eyes and passing ability, Malone is barely a 14 ppg player, if that much. Donyell Marshall is an extremely overrated player whose ability has also been inflated this year as a result of playing alongside Stockton- he is not a scorer by any means. Bryon Russel is a nice spot-up shooter, but nothing more as far as the offense is concerned. The Jazz need young talent, badly, and Vaughn and Marshall and crew are disappointments in that category...
Old 06-09-2001, 08:13 AM   #9
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

Van Horn is a great player
but Duncan was always better than him when he was a member of the Running Utes.
Now Duncan is always better than Dirk.
I think Dirk and Keith have lots of things in common.
Keith would be the perfect fit for the Jazz.
But he needs Andre Miller NOT Jacque Vaughn.
Dirk has to be careful not to be bitten by any injury bugs.
Some injury could kill your career you know ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:01 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

they do have similarities, but dirk is the better pure shooter, more athletic, a better ball handler and a better rebounder.
besides that, they are similar
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 06:36 AM   #11
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

I know, Murphy3, you don't have to remind me that ...
Abovel all, Dirk's much younger and he has the guts, I should say "some BALLS".
He's a BALLER now !!!!! I said before, He is our next Messiah !!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
yeah, Van Horn did show some guts in the NCAA tournament tho ...
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 01:26 PM   #12
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

That's a great description, Murph... Van Horn is a poor man's Dirk...
Old 06-20-2001, 06:08 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Utah would be making a poor trade here. The Jazz would have to be getting more than just Van Horn.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:20 PM   #14
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Poor isn't the word. If I were the Jazz I would have to get someone pretty big in exchange for Marshall...he was so vital to them last season. Also...if I were the Jazz I would already start the rebuilding process cause they're done.