Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-28-2002, 09:52 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if he does, could this be the inside weapon he needs to average 28-30 a game?

a skyhook is virtually unstoppable... if he can develop a nice touch with that shot..to go along with his already good low post game.. added with his driving ability and outside shooting prowess... he will be perhaps the 2nd most dominating offensive force in the NBA
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk tried a hook shot the other night against Minnesota. Thought to myself "where did that come from?"

Dirk has already tinkering with the up and under... the hook could be next.

If Dirk could gain that shot... it's virtually unblockable.

Makes you wonder why no one in the league uses it.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 11:34 AM   #3
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I wonder if he takes the next step and embraces the Muslim faith and becomes Dirk Abdul Jabbar. (ouch)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I don't know about an actual skyhook, but I hope he develops a nice jump hook.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 12:23 PM   #5
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

What if Dirk develops a skyhook? That'd be sweet, and Dirk will be
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #6
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

I believe the best part of the Sky Hook is what it would do to the rest of his repetoire.

If he can successfully include that move into his game then the respect that gives him as he nears the basket opens up the other moves, such as the up and under.

Old 04-28-2002, 05:33 PM   #7
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I doubt he'd develop a skyhook. That seems to be a tool of centers only. hakeem and Kareem were the only ones who did it really well. Forwards have different post games than Centers do. Dirk needs start watching footage of old celtics games, NOT to study anything by Larry Bird, but instead began taking notes on the great kevin Mchale.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:44 PM   #8
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Magic Johnson used to do a sky hook later in his career and he played the point.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:46 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry epitome..but any tool a player can pick up is worth picking up.

and he probably will develop it..he's already working alot on it..and with his touch and height, it's probably only a matter of time
Old 04-28-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

He would be the best in the league if he could hit it consistently.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:09 AM   #11
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

That is the one shot that I don't understand why ALL big man don't incorporate it into their game. It's virtually unstoppable and when these centers get older, it can make them serviceable well into their "old age". Just look at Kareem, his last few years when he could barely get up the court, he still managed to get that sky hook off that NO ONE could block.

I would LOVE if Dirk got this shot in his aresenal of moves. It would make him even more of a NIGHTMARE... Actually, Stern would make that illegal, it wouldn't even be fair to tell you the truth.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:14 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i agree thekid..it will be scary
Old 04-29-2002, 01:52 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< That is the one shot that I don't understand why ALL big man don't incorporate it into their game. It's virtually unstoppable. >>

Kid, you would get along well with my Dad. hahaha.. he is one of those sports fans that just simply says the same thing year after year.... and that is one of them, along with &quot;The Mavs have never had a dominant big man&quot; and &quot;The Rangers don't have the pitching.&quot; He's got about two others. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dirk's touch is too good NOT to try and work on a sky hook. If he could get it going -- the possibilities are scary.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

most big men simply don't have the touch..
big men that have enough touch to shoot that shot are few and far in between..
if dirk develops it.. i think we'll see the sky hook like never before.. deeper than before..
Old 04-29-2002, 02:32 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You're right about the touch, but even most of them when they're around the basket should do it. For instance, even bradley, if it gets blocked, 9 times out of 10 it will probably be called goal tending.

As far as Dirk, I personally don't think he needs it, but really if he were to develop a sky hook, people may disagree with me on this one but could anyone picture a more offensively challenging person to stop?
Old 04-29-2002, 03:26 PM   #16
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

I live in Norway, anyway, once i watched dirk play in germany, he actually made a sky hook 3 in a blowout game!
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

if it improves his low post game, he needs it then
Old 04-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #18
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< I live in Norway, anyway, once i watched dirk play in germany, he actually made a sky hook 3 in a blowout game! >>

You mean a skyhook three-pointer??

Would love to see that shot!
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 05:07 PM   #19
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

It was a cross between a sky hook and a running hook, but very nice!
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:00 PM   #20
SeomanSnowlock

SeomanSnowlock is on a distinguished road

That is a bit of a weird combination. I would like to see Dirk Nowitzki add this weapon to his arsenal. Any offensive weapons you add to your arsenal are always welcome. I'd like to see him become more consistent with using his pump fake. This allows him to break move in a couple of feet for the open shot or take it to the basket.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:52 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

a skyhook three.....wow.

Dirk would be the most unstoppable player in the league if he could develop a consistent skyhook and the mavs would commit to posting him up. The latter part would be more difficult it seems. As for the most difficult to stop statement...yes, I include shaq in my thoughts...Dirk would be the league's most unstoppable player.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote