Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-27-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to say I am a college basketball nut. I am so excited because the season is only about 3 weeks away. Anyway, I wanted to get opinions on who they think is going to be numero uno this season. And you can throw in POY, FOY, etc. if you'd like.

#1 - Gotta be Arizona. They really surprised me (and I think a whole of others) when they started the season on fire after losing every starter from their 2001 Final Four team except Jason Gardner. They ended the season with a 23-10 record with a core nucleus of 3 juniors and 5 freshmen. Well, this year they return everyone, and those 5 freshmen are now sophmores with an extra year of experience. They are talented, have great senior leadership, and have a great coach. They seem poised to win it.

#2 - Kansas. They would be an easy number one had Gooden returned. But they still return one of the top posts in the country in Collison, and a really good point in Heinrich. Miles and that sophmore from FW Dunbar (I think that is where he is from) will be good with a year of experience. Somehow, they always seem to manage to choke come tourney time.

#3 - Oklahoma. Hollis Price is awesome. He is one of those quick, light you up, explosive type. Ere is a blossoming scorer. Quannas White isn't an All-American, but he still is a steady point guard, who plays excellent D, and will get the job done. Their freshman wing DeAngelo Alexander from what I have seen is a really explosive scorer. They have a great team, but with McGhee graduating, might be a little lacking in the post.

#4 - Texas. Can their basketball team actually put together season than their football team? This year they are poised to do so. They almost made elite 8 last year with a young team that returns everyone this year (except for Owens, who was out most of last year anyway). So they don't really lose anything. T.J. had a spectatular freshman season, and did everything except shoot the 3. He returns as arguably the best PG in the nation. If his shot has improved he will be virtually unstoppable because he already has the drive and dish part down. And James Thomas is a beast on the boards. I remember seeing him here in Dallas at the tourney and being really impressed by his relentless work on the boards. Mouton and Ivey are also very solid players.

#5 - Xavier. It's been a while since Xavier has gotten so much hype and for good reason. David West is phenomenol in the post. Also I remember watching them play in the tourney last year and seeing some wing for them light up Oklahoma in the second round. I later found out that this kid's name was Romain Sato. He really impressed me, and I think he will give Xavier some scoring on the wings. Plus, I have to say I like their little chant ( X - A - V - IER).

Most Improved Team - It may be a little biased, but I go with my Heels. I believe the 8-20 season last year was a bit of a fluke, and that we should rebound this year. The 8-20 was a culmination of a lot of things: namely poor recruiting that lead to a lack of talent, Doherty's inexperience, and a couple of early losses which killed our confidence. But the swagger is back in Chapel Hill. Last years freshman class are sophmores last year and are ready to put last year behind them. They really underachieved last year, and all three are looking to have bust out years, particularly Jawad. He put on around 15 pounds in the offseason, and early reports say he is taking lead in practices, and he is looking like he will really will step up this season to a whole new level. Melvin Scott makes a transition to his natural spot - the 2. He will be allowed to do what he does best and that is shoot. So far he has looked great shooting the ball. Jackie Manuel came in very hyped as a freshman, but did not play well at all. But it is said he has added muscle and worked on his shooting a bit, and he should play well as defender coming off the bench or possibly starting. But the main reason for excitement is the fantastic recruiting class coming in, which includes 3 McD's All-Americans. The first is Raymond Felton. He is a sensational point guard from the small town of Latta, SC. I have never seen him play, but all accounts say he is the real deal and that he will end our point guard troubles. I heard some say that we haven't had a point guard this good since Phil Ford and the Jet. Also coming in is Rashad McCants, one of the loud, confident leader types. Reports of him say he is a mini Stackhouse (being he is very athletic, strong, and skilled). He also brings defense and tenacity to the table as well as scoring. Then there is Sean May, who is the son of Indiana legend Scott May (for those who remember the '76 undefeated Hoosiers). He is a very skilled post players, who helps the heels need for a post player. The other freshman all have potential, but they aren't going to be big contributors this season. Their time is in a few seasons. Okay, I know with all my rambling, I make the Heels sound like they are going to be undefeated this season, which I do not really think will happen. I really think we will win about 16 games this year and come on strong during ACC play. If they win 16 games, it will be a much welcomed improvement over last year. Overall, I think our inexperience as well as lack of good post players (other than May, we have no real post players who are ready to play) will hurt us. But from what I have heard this team will be fun to watch, and I can't wait (for those of you who could tell.

POY - Jason Gardner. Last year he really lead the Wildcats, when no one believed they would do much of anything. Now, he has a chance to lead them to the promised land. Other Candidates: Luke Walton, Hollis Price, and Nick Collison.

FOY - Raymond Felton. Well, I know it could be a tad biased, but he is probably the best incoming freshman. He has been hailed as the savior ever since his junior year when he committed to UNC. He will be in control at UNC from Day 1. Other candidates: Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Sean May, Shelden Williams, and Rashad McCants.

Okay to sum it up for those of you who got tired head from all my rambling -
#1 Arizona
#2 Kansas
#3 Oklahoma
#4 Texas
#5 Xavier

Most Improved Team - North Carolina Tar Heels

POY - Jason Gardner
FOY - Raymond Felton

Your thoughts?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2002, 07:02 AM   #2
MavsRich

MavsRich is on a distinguished road

I am glad you mentioned my boy JT from UT, I think he will be 1 of the top players in the country this year. Ro Iv and TJ will also have great years too IMO. I really like the Longhorns, it also helps that JT is 1 of my best friends but still I love their team.
MavsRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I thought both Ivey and Thomas did really well in the tourney. Ivey seems like a really nice shooter and scorer. I hardly knew who Thomas was before the tounrey, but afterwards I was a big fan of his.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-27-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I agree...Arizona #1 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Come on let's see some love for College B-ball. By the way mods, should the thread be here? I didn't really want to put it in the Around the NBA room just because it wasn't really NBA, eventhough it was non-Mavs basketball. Hopefully, I didn't commit some crime by putting it in here.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-27-2002, 02:14 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Fintastic- This is exactly the place for this thread. Not bad at all! I am a huge Big 12 fan so I like seeing those three Big 12 teams up that high. I hope you are right.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Wow, I didn't really even realize I had 3 Big XII teams in the top 5. I am more of an ACC guy myself, but the Big XII should be strong, probably the best conference this year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 10-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

I think Texas has a chance to go to the final four[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #9
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I wanted to bring this back up to the top for another topic to discuss since I am so depressed about the Cowboys and the fact that College B-ball is so close. Plus UNC just played their Blue and White game and everyone who saw it brought back really good reports. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Plus the Coaches poll came out. It had in the top 5:

1. Arizona
2. Kansas
3. Oklahoma
4. Pittsburgh
5. Texas

Anybody have any new opinions now that the season is oh so close.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson