Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I grabbed this off Fish's dallas-basketball.com discussion boards. It looks like his farewell address:

Well,
I’m nursing my 18th beer, starting at the Tap-In in Grapevine at 1:30
p.m. Monday, and ending. … um, I dunno.

The good news is that DallasBasketball.com and Dallas Mavericks Weekly are thriving – thanks in large part to the contributions of y’all (that’s Texas Talk).

The bad news is that change is sometimes uncomfortable, and these are uncomfortable times over at the radio station.

So shrouded in some mystery – as you may have noticed Monday, when nobody really addressed much of anything – the station is going in “a different direction’’ and that direction does not include my work from 2-6.

Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean an end to anything. My people … alright, honestly, I don’t have “people’’; so I might as well just say me and The Lovely Stephi … are “exploring options.’’

Because how else can Ray From Allen have his way with me? Where else can Buck and Stymie preach the Stars gospel? How can Geno sip his Hamm’s in peace? And Jay and Mike and Joseph and Chris and Cnote and Freeman and G-Money and Andre and Dan and Steve and Monte and Sean and Smart Aleck Joey and Bob and King James and Al and Ron Hall and Justin
and Dr. B and David and Dennis Grundy and Pnutz and JD and Paul and LarryLegend and WyattDuck and Rodzilla and A-Train and MavCowboy85 and … even Chef Ed!

(My apologies. The above was a mistake. By naming a few I leave out a skillion. Sorry about that).

Whatever project I’ve associated myself with – in radio, in print, on the net – I’ve always been blessed with the most loyal, most intellectual, most generous customers in the business. You guys make it work.

What to do with “fake-deep’’ and “The Fired Board’’ and “Skiiiiiiiip’’ and “The Fish Hook of The Day’’ and “idiocrity’’ and “Life With Tooz’’ and “Rack yourself’’ and “I almost had a stroke’’ and “Freeman’s Forum’’ and “Duke is Duke’’ and “Steve Superior’’ and “Race Talk’’ and “The 75-Member Staff’’?

What to do with Daryl Johnston, Mike Zimmer, Doug Armstrong, Jerry Jones, Bob Ortegel, Matt Pinto, Mark Followill, Derek Harper, Butch Davis, Dave Wannstedt, Norv Turner, Nick Van Exel, Jason Garrett, Dale Hansen, Brad Sham, Denny Green, Joe Avezzano, Chad Hutchinson, LeRoi
Glover, Joey Galloway, Avery Johnson, Donnie Nelson, Mark Cuban, Don Nelson, Del Harris, Carmen Policy, Terry Bradshaw, Pat Summerall, Brad Davis, Ro Blackman, Mark Aguirre, Darren Woodson, Brandon Noble, Spencer Tillman, Craig James, Leon Simon, Lang Whitaker and Roy Williams and Eric Bjornson and David Moore and Clark Judge and Clarence Hill, Chris Yates, Eddie Gossage, Chuck Morgan, Michael
Cramer, Mike Modano, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Marty Turco and a cast of celebrity thousands who have become regular contributors to our show?

Well, the old station won’t get its hands on my “Big-Shot Rolodex,’’ I’ll say that.

I’ve nothing but good things to say about Tooz and the rest of the 75. I’ve also, by the way, got a lot of good things to say about Uncle Norm, Newy, Coop, Sturm, Gordo, Dunham, G. Williams, Dave Shore, Jamey Newberg, Wendell Barnhouse, Tommy Kramer, Scott Mastellar., Richie Whitt, Kevin Sherrington, Ben, Skin, Tim McDarby, Wally Lynn, Tim
Cowlishaw, Dale, Ric Renner, Tony Martinez, Mike Doocy, Babe, Randy Galloway (seriously) and dozens of other guys in this business who understand that since they get to criticize others, they have to be able to take it, too – and they’ve all taken it from me, in a barroom-debate sort of way that I hope they all know is never personal.

Stay tuned. There is some talk about us simply picking up stakes and moving. ( I promise that wherever that is, I won’t let them shut off the live streaming!) Good things are happening. (Fingers crossed.) Unless they don’t happen fast enough, in which case, if any of you listeners, callers or posters have a job opening (featuring enough
health insurance to cover three football-playing kids) for a slightly acerbic, sometimes-overly-cerebral, fact-based-opinionated increasingly-less-liberal sports-talk-show host who knows his Cowboys, knows his Mavericks, knows his Stars, tries to know his NASCAR and might even someday give baseball a second chance, hook me up at fish@dallasbasketball.com.

Or else I’ll just tour water coolers and barber shops and tell people old Jimmy-Jerry stories, pontificate on the Mavs’ ability to win a title with this style, detail Mike Modano’s dating life, and convince the world that NASCAR is a sport.

I’m not much for the political game – not that I wouldn’t be a political-game ######, I just don’t know how to play – so while “blame the suits’’ is a nice theme, I am now going to consider fitting into one of the suits! (Not really.)

So Screw Zhi and F.Adams and hang with me.

More than ever, please spread the word about Dallas Mavericks Weekly and DallasBasketball.com. Your continued support is a connection I really savor, and when there is more news to share, we’ll have it here.

In summary, it’s all kind of like what the station did to Frank Sinatra (a sign I should’ve read months ago): You can unplug the stereo that plays him, but Sinatra never dies.

Same with me. I’ll never stop. I’ll never die. Unless I’m, like, 85 or something.

fish

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i kinda feel bad about being right
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

In the afternoon, when I got in the car to drive the 45 minutes home from work, I would turn the radio on and the Hardline would be talking about boobs or baseball, Coop and Newy would be talking about those exciting, 5-11 Cowboys and Fish would be talking Mavs and NBA. I'm going to miss him.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

in the afternoon, when i would turn on the radio..and if the ticket was in the middle of a commercial break..i'd flip it to the fish to hear him patting himself on the back or playing some stupid name drop game with one of his 75 member staff...and, i'd become completely annoyed.

so, i'd turn it to the ticket and listen to a commercial... any random commercial was more informative and entertaining than listening to the fish...
it's time to flush the fish down the toilet and bid him a fond bye bye.

to be honest, i was amazed to find out that anyone was stupid enough to put him back on the air.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I liked listening to someone talking about basketball when the rest were on some inane subject that I cared nothing about. If a person would rather listen to commercials than to basketball talk then I can understand where that person is coming from a little better. Fish has never been my favorite person but he was only guilty of screwing around a little bit, just like the Ticket people screw around, certainly no worse.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Wow Murph sounds like you're trying to hide a serious case of Man-Love for the Fish. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 08:29 AM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I hope they don't get rid of Bruno, I love his show.

Fish was a dedicated Maverick insider. He provided the best basketball coverage on the readio, period. I guess I'm going to have to finally check out Newy and Coop, because I can't stand listening to the Hard line. I know I'm pretty immature at times, but skits like the overcusser, obvious man, and the redundant man make me want to puke... It would be one thing if Corby was funny. But he isn't. And any time a station goes on for an hour about a show I don't watch (the Sopranos), it makes me change the channel instantly. They have no guests, they have no class, they have no clue about any other sport but baseball. And I don't really like baseball. I'm going to miss Fish. Maybe Norm will want to leave the Ticket bad enough to take a drive time job at one of the other stations. hmmm.. we can only dream.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Murph, you can not like Fish's show (I didn't either) and be a little nicer about it. A guy with 3 kids did get fired after all.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

<< ..i'd flip it to the fish to hear him patting himself on the back >>

No one around here ever does that. No one on this board thinks they are The Source, and the preeminent authority on anything. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

<< or playing some stupid name drop game with one of his 75 member staff... >>

I like it when people name drop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I mean, share the wealth!! Don't hoard that kind of cool news. I'm going to be a big time name dropper when I get a name to drop. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'm going to have T-shirts made, so that I can name drop walking down the street, or in my sleep, or while I'm eating.

Fish, I wish you all the best. I hope that the optimism you write with is reflected in your heart, and that you will find the perfect place to work and share your Mavs-Love. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Fish wasn't my kind of guy, but I hope he lands on his feet.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

fish will be fine..he doesn't need me to be nice to him.

i'm sure that with all of the jobs he has had...that he should be just about set unless he just did a poor job of investing and that sort of thing
Old 01-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

and i do feel sorry for the kids..it's not their fault that fish is their father
Old 01-19-2003, 06:47 PM   #13
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Murph,

Fish at least gives caller's respect instead of hanging up on them and making jokes.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:45 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

apparently fish didn't have many callers..
for some reason, he no longer has a job..probably because he pretty much sucked.
why did he get a job in the first place?..well, i guess there was someone stupid enough to hire him...but hell, carrot-top has a job..so it proves that idiots get jobs too
Old 01-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I don´t know much the guy, only from his articles in DallasBasketball, but I have to have some respect for one who writes like this:

<< pontificate on the Mavs’ ability to win a title with this style, detail Mike Modano’s dating life, and convince the world that NASCAR is a sport. >>

Old 01-19-2003, 11:44 PM   #16
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

That sucks. Fisher's my favourite basketball writer; his style is easy to read. It's not as pretentious as ESPN and not boring like NBA.com, and I always love the inside-the-Mavs-practices notes. Best of luck to him.