Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Maybe so but this teams offense is still geared around Dirk. And Golden State had the answer for Dirk. Our bigs (Haywood and Dampier) would still find it difficult to deal with small ball as well.
Wow. So any team with Dirk on it is susceptible to a GS collapse? Are you a Spurs troll in disguise or something?

As for the rest... the argument was that teams could take our centers out of the game entirely by going small. This argument doesn't appear to hold much water because

1) The opposing team would have to be good enough at small ball to force our centers out of the game. I can't think of anyone who can do that.
2) We have since proven that we can be a very good small ball team.
3) If it was really that simple to force big men out of the game, why hasn't anyone tried it against the Lakers?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Wow. So any team with Dirk on it is susceptible to a GS collapse? Are you a Spurs troll in disguise or something?

As for the rest... the argument was that teams could take our centers out of the game entirely by going small. This argument doesn't appear to hold much water because

1) The opposing team would have to be good enough at small ball to force our centers out of the game. I can't think of anyone who can do that.
2) We have since proven that we can be a very good small ball team.
3) If it was really that simple to force big men out of the game, why hasn't anyone tried it against the Lakers?
I wouldn't call it a collapse as GS had our number all season. And the way to stop small ball is to have a post player. We don't have one. Utah did it with Boozer along with Okur being more active on the perimeter than our centers. As for your points.
1. I just said this if you paid attention.
2. Oh yeah beating some of the worst teams (Chicago without Noah) in the league really proved we can have success in the playoffs with that lineup.
3. Lakers bigs are more active similar to Utah. Especially when Odom is in the game. And Gasol and/or Bynum is their low post player.
Dirk is a great player but his inability to back his way to the basket like a low post player makes us vulnerable if a small ball lineup appeared.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a collapse as GS had our number all season. And the way to stop small ball is to have a post player. We don't have one. Utah did it with Boozer along with Okur being more active on the perimeter than our centers. As for your points.
1. I just said this if you paid attention.
2. Oh yeah beating some of the worst teams (Chicago without Noah) in the league really proved we can have success in the playoffs with that lineup.
3. Lakers bigs are more active similar to Utah. Especially when Odom is in the game. And Gasol and/or Bynum is their low post player.
Dirk is a great player but his inability to back his way to the basket like a low post player makes us vulnerable if a small ball lineup appeared.
Here we go, round and round.

1) GS is #14 in the West? Again, I don't see a team that would do this.
2) If you want to throw in Noah, throw in Damp/Haywood and we kill 'em while playing big.
3) Dirk has some serious post moves. Troll.

Who is going to FORCE playing small ball on us? The first time we played it, it was our own idea as a gimmick in Atlanta and it worked. Now we're doing out of necessity due to injuries. I can't think of any playoff team that's just going to rip their own centers out of the game, force our centers out because of it, then beat us to death with midget ball anyway.

Oh wait, we have Dirk. Ah crap, then I guess it's GS all over again.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 03-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Here we go, round and round.

1) GS is #14 in the West? Again, I don't see a team that would do this.
2) If you want to throw in Noah, throw in Damp/Haywood and we kill 'em while playing big.
3) Dirk has some serious post moves. Troll.

Who is going to FORCE playing small ball on us? The first time we played it, it was our own idea as a gimmick in Atlanta and it worked. Now we're doing out of necessity due to injuries. I can't think of any playoff team that's just going to rip their own centers out of the game, force our centers out because of it, then beat us to death with midget ball anyway.

Oh wait, we have Dirk. Ah crap, then I guess it's GS all over again.
1. Did you listen to my point? I just said I didn't see it happening. You need to listen before typing.
2. Yes we would kill Chicago with that lineup but it still doesn't say anything that we could succeed in the playoffs without them if somehow a team was using small ball.
3. Low post moves? When do you see Dirk back his way to the basket? They are all midrange shots. He is best at exploiting slower players or players that fall for the pump fake too easily. Which he can totally dominate that way but putting SF's is not going to make it easier for Dirk due to them usually being more athletic. T-Mac, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Sean Marion, Bruce Bowen, James Posey, and etc. have had success in the playoffs against Dirk. Without Dirk, we are going nowhere. That's what makes us vulnverable to small ball. Pressuring Dirk more and causing matchup problems on the other side is the best way to go. I'm just calling like it is based on history. History can be the biggest troll. lol
Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
3. Low post moves? When do you see Dirk back his way to the basket? They are all midrange shots.
Are you f*cking kidding me? He can get to the damn rim. After backing his defender down, he can spin baseline or to the front of the rim, and finish with either hand. Do you even pay attention?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you f*cking kidding me? He can get to the damn rim. After backing his defender down, he can spin baseline or to the front of the rim, and finish with either hand. Do you even pay attention?
Where was that in the Warriors series? Maybe he can do it but just not effective enough move to use often enough. He was basically on the perimeter which angered me against a small ball lineup. You gotta post up.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Where was that in the Warriors series? Maybe he can do it but just not effective enough move to use often enough. He was basically on the perimeter which angered me against a small ball lineup. You gotta post up.
Argg....this infuriates me. So he's supposed to post up and watch his point guard try in vain to get a pass to him? Are you saying he should just tell the coach FU and go down to the blocks and watch while Jet can't get the ball over the 10 second line and devin can't throw an entry pass.

If Avery wants to get the ball to dirk in the post then he needs to pull out his crayon coloring book and see if someone has left a play for him, showing him how to get the ball to his guy in the post.

Dirk was having to come out to the 3second line half of the time to get the damn thing.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1000thingsihateaboutyou, awww now he´s gone :d, epic thread, hedoesn'tlikeithere:-(, mavsban1000, mavsfan1000 should die., mavsxpert1000, thread police