Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else. Butler has a blog...here's what he's got!
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/but...-break-for-me/
Quote:
Hi everybody!

It’s been a while since my last blog, but as you know I’ve been pretty busy. As in moving-to-another-city busy.

I’m loving my new situation. Getting traded to the Dallas Mavericks gives me a shot at the ring while I’m in my prime, so I’m obviously very happy about it.

That said, I’m going to miss Washington. That city was great for me in so many ways.

I want to make one thing clear first… I never asked to be traded out of Washington or anything like that. I was always professional with the team and I have to say the organization was very classy about the whole trade thing. They told me in advance the day of the trade deadline that something was going to happen. Although at the end of the day this is a business, they handled me well. They were very respectful and didn’t treat me like an ordinary player. That goes a long way with me. I’m grateful with the front office for that.

I’m grateful to a lot other people in Washington, in fact. That’s the thing I’m going to miss the most – the people. The relationships and the bonds that I created there are going to last a lifetime. I was very involved in the community and leaving all that behind was kind of hard.

As far as the team, it’s sad that we didn’t get an opportunity to finish what we started. We had a good thing going with Antawn Jamison, Gilbert Arenas and the rest of the guys. I was thrilled to be part of the foundation of the team there. In the end, it didn’t work for some reason and it made sense for the Wizards to trade many of us.

Gilbert is one of the few players remaining. I’ve been in touch with him to see if he’s doing well. He’s in good spirits. I wanted to let him know that me, my mom and the rest of my family are praying so that everything works ut well for him. We’ll always have his back.

They often ask me to compare how’s playing with Jason Kidd now as opposed to doing it with Gilbert. Well, they are both great players. Gilbert has always been a scoring guard and can do so many things with the ball in his hands. His thing is scoring. Meanwhile, Jason has a special gift… And that is making people better. I’m fortunate to be playing with a guy like him. I remember before my first game with Dallas, we had just one practice and I was already able to pick up some plays because of his knowledge of the game and his ability to teach us where we should be on the floor. He’s making the game and the adjustment to a new system a lot easier for DeShawn Stevenson, Brendan Haywood and myself.

We’re on a 13-game winning streak and we’re a threat to all teams in the NBA right now. We can compete against anybody. I’m looking forward to this challenge of trying to win the championship and feel truly blessed and thankful to God for giving me all these opportunities. I’m a lucky man.

Talk to you soon. Bye.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice sig...

Quote:
We’re on a 13-game winning streak and we’re a threat to all teams in the NBA right now. We can compete against anybody. I’m looking forward to this challenge of trying to win the championship and feel truly blessed and thankful to God for giving me all these opportunities. I’m a lucky man.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Caron seems to be such a great guy on and off the court. I'm glad he's a Maverick.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Nice sig...
gosh, I LOVE this team.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

I have noticed in the last few games that when the mavs are inbouding, Kidd directs everyone to their correct positions before the actual inbound takes place. It has two advantages: first, obviously they are better prepared to run a halfcourt set and secondly, there is rarely a possibility of a 5-second violation.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i'm excited to see what this team will be like at 100 percent health.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

jet on wearing a mask:

Although his conditioning felt good during Friday's practice, Terry admitted that he struggled to see while wearing a protective mask.

He planned to pick up a custom mask later in the day. He hopes to use the mask only during practices and the first couple of games after his return.

"This mask they had me wearing was like a hockey mask," Terry said. "It was terrible."

Terry, the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year who is averaging 17.0 points per game, went through full contact Friday despite still lacking feeling on the left side of his face. His vision made shooting difficult.

"Oh, man, he better get used to that mask quick because that was ugly whatever he put out there," Dirk Nowitzki said, cracking a smile. "But he's a warrior. I knew he was going to come back quick."
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Jets a warrior.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Game 3 2001 mavs v jazz is on espn classics. Let the comeback begin.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

the mavs where never in the jason terry race to begin with
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

could a moderator please move the Jason Terry's injury stuff to it's own thread? Thats gotta be worth it's own discussion, right?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...lly&id=4996633

What's not to like about Mavs' Haywood

Quote:

There's no doubt that Dallas Mavericks fans are enjoying the arrival of Brendan Haywood, Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson. Since the trade with the Washington Wizards at the All-Star break, all three contributed to a 13-game win streak that propelled the Mavs into a fight for the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

Five free throws: Brendan Haywood

1. Are you a fan of any other sport?
"I'm a huge football fan." That includes college and pro. He's a huge fan of the Miami Hurricanes. He almost played basketball at Miami because he loved their football program so much. As for the NFL, he's a Colts fan.

2. What's your pregame ritual?
"A lot of people have their different superstitions. I'll eat whatever I feel like eating that day. I might take a nap. I might not. It just depends on what's going on. I might catch a good episode of 'Law & Order.' I don't have anything I feel like I have to do every day. I don't believe in superstitions."

3. Did you play a musical instrument?
He played alto and baritone saxophone from 7th through 9th grade. "I could play songs and read sheet music. But I can't remember any of that stuff now." Any chance he'll play a duet with Mavs coach Rick Carlisle accompanying him on the piano? "Uh, no."

4. What did you call your mom, Barbara?
Great name, right? So many variations: Babs, Barb, Bar-Bar, Bab-O. I thought maybe one of those nicknames had crept in there at some point. Nope. "I just call her mom. I don't think she'd take too kindly to Babs."

5. Can I give you a new nickname?
His previous nicknames include: B-Hay, Big Wood and Wood. The most popular, and the one most of his friends use, is B-Wood. After a good 12 minutes of thought (while I was waiting on towels to dry), a flash of brilliance: What about Hay-fever?! I've got it. You've got it. We've all got Hay-fever! Except Haywood: "No." How about if we let it simmer and check on it in a couple of days? "Okay, we'll let it simmer."

I thought fans might want to know more about the players who've so seamlessly transitioned to our city and our team. I started with Haywood, the 7-foot center, who has perhaps made one of the biggest impacts on the team so far.

As I prepared for our interview, I searched the internet for some personal information, but there's not much to be found. He's never been in legal trouble -- he's apparently never brought a gun to a card game in the Wizards' locker room -- and he's never been married, nor does he have any little Haywoods running around.

Throughout our interview, he seemed perplexed that anyone would want to know anything personal about him. When I asked if he'd ever dated anyone famous, his response was, "Even if I had, I wouldn't put that out there. Who would want that out there?" Oh, I don't know ... about the half the NBA doesn't seem to mind having that out there. So I got the impression that Haywood was somewhat private which is an automatic invitation to pry.

Childhood

We all have our favorite things from childhood that we carried with us into adulthood. Some of us still drink Kool-Aid, love push-up popsicles, will watch Scooby-Doo if we can find it, or secretly hope tube-socks make a comeback.

Haywood was forever playing video games when he was a little kid. His favorites: "Early, early Nintendo with Tecmo Bowl. And then when I got the Sega Genesis, it was John Madden Football. I'm still a big John Madden fan to this day."

He and his close friends spent hours playing. He admits, to this day, when Madden is released, he and his friends buy it the first day it's available and compete all year long.

I asked him about his favorite Halloween costume. I could easily picture him dressing up as a skyscraper, the Incredible Hulk or the Central Time Zone. But he never celebrated Halloween. His mom, Barbara, was very religious and she felt it was a pagan holiday, so he was never allowed to go out trick-or-treating. But he didn't completely miss out on the sugar highs and the possibility of a cavity. "I did have one friend who would give me a little bit of his candy because he knew I didn't get to go out."

And how about growing up? I mean literally growing up, up and up. Can you imagine Miss Barbara trying to keep him in clothes and shoes? His biggest growth spurt came during the 9th grade. "I believe I was 6-4 and by the time I was measured for 10th grade, I was 6-8."

And how about those cruise ships he calls feet? His size-17 feet stopped growing by his senior year in high school. To her credit, his mom never yelled at him or pleaded with him to stop growing.

[+] EnlargeMavericks center Brendan Haywood and Kelly Webster
ESPNDallas.comMavericks 7-footer Brendan Haywood spurted from 6-4 to 6-8 before his sophomore year of high school. He also wears size-17 shoes.
College

Haywood spent all four years at the University of North Carolina. He says he loved it. "I just enjoyed the school, the fans, made a lot of good friends who are still friends to this day, so I enjoyed everything there."

He graduated with a degree in Interpersonal Communications, which includes classes on rhetoric, debate, public speaking, mass media, etc. His favorite classes were speech and debate class because "I'm an arguer. I love sports debates and political debates, what's the best music. I love to debate that."

Senior Citizen

Haywood has made sure his career will continue once his time in the NBA comes to an end. "When I'm 40, I think I will be doing something along the lines of broadcasting -- that has to do with basketball, be it college or pro." And this isn't just a hopeful wish.

When he was with the Wizards, he worked the broadcasts for the WNBA's Washington Mystics. When he was injured last season, he was an in-studio co-host for the Wizards' games. This past summer, he had one of the most popular blogs on yardbarker.com, a site that hosts blogs by fans and celebrity athletes. He's also done a radio show.

"I think I've covered all facets of the media game because I wanted to make sure I had everything covered so I knew what I wanted to do," Haywood said. "I like the broadcast work I did for the Mystics because it was live work and I got a lot of adrenaline out of that. I actually liked the radio show because you get to talk about whatever; be it basketball related, or something going on in the world. I like that because a good radio show is very entertaining."

And who doesn't like going to work in jeans and a ponytail? Or, uh, sweats and a headband? "I could go in with a bathrobe if I wanted," Haywood said.

Now that's my kind of thinking. (Note to staff at 103.3 FM ESPN: Please shield your eyes on Friday ... I'll be sporting a new "look.")

Mavs fans, if you're looking to add a new favorite player to your list, be sure and include Haywood. He's your all-around good guy. He's extremely nice, easy to talk to, intelligent, thoughtful, outgoing and hard working. On the court, he's brought a little something-something that could keep the Mavs around until early summer.

Kelly Webster is an on-air personality for ESPN 103.3 FM and will continue Living The Dream for ESPNDallas.com.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Lay Wood
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[+] EnlargeMavericks center Brendan Haywood and Kelly Webster
Yes, please, make him 7'5" and be done with it. Yao Ming Size without the T-Rex arms = Win.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

http://www.nba.com/video/mavericks/

Jason Terry interview

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
DULLAH

DULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the roughDULLAH is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Excellent news.
I thaught one of my students was BS'ing me when he said Terry was coming back tonite.
DULLAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
Excellent news.
I thaught one of my students was BS'ing me when he said Terry was coming back tonite.
....and you would let them out early tomorrow if Terry plays......
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I found this gem from a poster named "mavsfan1000" on SpursTalk.

"Yep no doubt Dirk chokes under pressure. Hopefully other players will put up big numbers in case of this and pick up the slack."

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=148947&page=2

Don't we have a "mavsfan1000" here who says things of questionable intelligence....
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #19
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
I found this gem from a poster named "mavsfan1000" on SpursTalk.

"Yep no doubt Dirk chokes under pressure. Hopefully other players will put up big numbers in case of this and pick up the slack."

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...=148947&page=2

Don't we have a "mavsfan1000" here who says things of questionable intelligence....
I don't feel at ease in the playoffs due to his streakiness to be generous. Mavs vs Rockets (shouldn't have gone 7), Mavs vs. Heat (missed free throws and poor shooting percentage), and Mavs vs. Warriors (Couldn't post up smalls) are 3 times he failed us. Yes every year is a new year and with the right chemistry blend, he may find a comfort zone in the playoffs. We'll find out. But this is really off topic. You really have it in for me.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-18-2010 at 12:29 AM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
I don't feel at ease in the playoffs due to his streakiness to be generous. Mavs vs Rockets (shouldn't have gone 7), Mavs vs. Heat (missed free throws and poor shooting percentage), and Mavs vs. Warriors (Couldn't post up smalls) are 3 times he failed us. Yes every year is a new year and with the right chemistry blend, he may find a comfort zone in the playoffs. We'll find out. But this is really off topic. You really have it in for me.
He pretty much found his comfort zone against Denver. Perhaps if the other players had been able to do something in that series; that would have helped. I remember Terry doing nothing, Damp being ineffective against Denver's bigs, the overall bench not doing much-Wright was unable to foul Melo enough to where the refs would call it. Howard wasn't able to do anything due to his constant ankle issues, so he couldn't help out at all.
Dirk was terrible in the Finals-the team in general was very ineffective. He was dreadful against GS. Don't recall anyone outside of Howard playing well against the Warriors. Maybe if an actual center had been used for that series, considering the centers had helped with that 67 wins season and all.
But I am curious, did you hold the other players accountable for their failures in the playoffs or just the one guy?
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 AM   #21
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
He pretty much found his comfort zone against Denver. Perhaps if the other players had been able to do something in that series; that would have helped. I remember Terry doing nothing, Damp being ineffective against Denver's bigs, the overall bench not doing much-Wright was unable to foul Melo enough to where the refs would call it. Howard wasn't able to do anything due to his constant ankle issues, so he couldn't help out at all.
Dirk was terrible in the Finals-the team in general was very ineffective. He was dreadful against GS. Don't recall anyone outside of Howard playing well against the Warriors. Maybe if an actual center had been used for that series, considering the centers had helped with that 67 wins season and all.
But I am curious, did you hold the other players accountable for their failures in the playoffs or just the one guy?
No doubt that other players are held responsible to but being the star player, you gotta do well or at least close to average for the team to succeed in the playoffs. And yeah Terry was the one that let us down last year. He is streaky and fell into a slump at the worst time. Kidd's defense against Billups hurt us to though Billups abuses a lot of players. So yeah Dirk has to continue the way he played last year and maybe the help will be there now.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #22
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is 23/8 in the regular season, 25/11 in the playoffs, and 30/13 in elimination games. Real Mavs fans don't need this kind of stuff explained to them.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #23
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Dirk is 23/8 in the regular season, 25/11 in the playoffs, and 30/13 in elimination games. Real Mavs fans don't need this kind of stuff explained to them.
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs? And of course your total stats look better in the playoffs as you get more minutes. 04-05 Dirk shot 40.2% in 13 games. In 06-07 Dirk shot 38.3% in 5 games. Dirk did do well in 05-06 and 08-09 but I remember him struggling against Miami the whole series. Which would've won us a title if he played up to his statndards. He lit up Miami in the regular season I remember to. I don't want to be annoyingly blunt so I thought it was better said on spurstalk than here. But Cadbane wanted to start trouble.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-18-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #24
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs? And of course your total stats look better in the playoffs as you get more minutes. 04-05 Dirk shot 40.2% in 13 games. In 06-07 Dirk shot 38.3% in 5 games. Dirk did do well in 05-06 and 08-09 but I remember him struggling against Miami the whole series. Which would've won us a title if he played up to his statndards. He lit up Miami in the regular season I remember to. I don't want to be annoyingly blunt so I thought it was better said on spurstalk than here. But Cadbane wanted to start trouble.
*busts out Orville Redenbacher*
*watches attentively*
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #25
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
*busts out Orville Redenbacher*
*watches attentively*
Sounds good. I don't have any more to say on that subject though. Playoffs are unpredictable and matchups are very important. Dirk has high standards to live up to though by his regular season achievements and offensive efficiency. We'll see if this is his year.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-18-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #26
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Quote:
Real Mavs fans deny that Dirk ever struggled in the playoffs?

Could a mod please change this troll's screen name to something else?

EDIT: (I happen to see a wonderful suggestion down in the tags!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-18-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #27
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Career playoff averages:

25.7 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 2.7 APG

He's one of FIVE NBA players to average 25 and 10 in the playoffs. Here's the list:

Shaq
Hakeem
Wilt
Baylor
Dirk

No McHale, Russell, Jabbar, Garnett, Bird, Pippen, Johnson, Ewing, Duncan, Robinson, Barkley, Malone, etc, etc.
================================================== ==============================

Dirk's career playoff averages (in 87 games, basically an NBA season) is higher than his regular season averages. So he plays better in the playoffs against the tougher competition. He rebounds mores, he scores more, he passes and blocks more. His FG%, 3P%, FT% is almost identical.

Regular season career averages:

22.9 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 2.7 APG, 0.8 APG, 1 BPG

Playoff career averages:

25.7 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 2.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, 1.5 BPG
================================================== ==============================

Dirk's teams are undefeated in double elimination games.

4-0 in Game 7 of a 7-game series
1-0 in Game 5 of a 5-game series

I'm so sick of Dirk being labeled as a choker, or non-performer in the playoffs. It's sickening that after everything this guy has accomplished people (including some Mavs fans apparently) still label him as such. Dirk is the greatest thing to ever happen to this franchise. For you to use a blanket statement that he "chokes under pressure" is a complete fallacy and is ignorant to what he's done as a Mav IN big spots.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 03-18-2010 at 06:22 AM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post

Dirk's teams are undefeated in double elimination games.

4-0 in Game 7 of a 7-game series
1-0 in Game 5 of a 5-game series

^This (sorry, Dan)
Old 03-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm temporarily lifting my embargo against responding to terrible posters here:

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge of the historical context of the NBA.

But what else should anyone expect from you, really?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-18-2010 at 11:06 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge for the historical context of the NBA.

Flacolaco likes this
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #31
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you are talking about. No one ever said Dirk hasn't struggled in the playoffs. But struggling at times does not make you streaky. You can cherry pick Miami if you want, but the reality is that Dirk carried an inferior team past both the Spurs and the Suns that year. He's one of the best playoff performers of all time, and to say that he chokes under pressure shows a complete lack of comprehension for the game of basketball and a complete lack of knowledge of the historical context of the NBA.

Having a few bad playoff series does make you streaky. It's alright to have a bad game here and then but you usually bounce back the next game. That's what Jordan and Kobe did. I mentioned 3 playoff series where he shot poorly. Dirk's had times in the playoffs where he was remarkable. Expectations are high on him due to being our franchise players. This team sure won a lot in the regular season to be considered inferior. Suns were without Amare Stoudemire. Dirk's best ever playoff moments were against the Spurs for sure. We all got our tunnel vision on how the playoffs were really like. I don't think it is fair for you to criticize my knowledge for seeing it differently than you.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Having a few bad playoff series does make you streaky. It's alright to have a bad game here and then but you usually bounce back the next game. That's what Jordan and Kobe did.
Riiight. Kobe's never had a terrible series? Give me a break dude.

Go read about the 2008 NBA Finals. Educate yourself a little. You're embarrassing yourself.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #33
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Over 1,600 posts. Wow. How do you have a single green box right now? You seem to pick fights with every poster who disagrees with you and even ones who haven't, and your posts, although more elegant in prose than say, jamyoa, or basketballgirl, are packed with a heaping load of douchery. I've never seen a poster here who more aggressively defends completely inane points like his life depended on it. Go back to spurstalk. That's where you belong.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #34
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Over 1,600 posts. Wow. How do you have a single green box right now?
Good question...

(oops, he has one less now!)

Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #35
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Good question...

(oops, he has one less now!)
Tee-Hee.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #36
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Over 1,600 posts. Wow. How do you have a single green box right now? You seem to pick fights with every poster who disagrees with you and even ones who haven't, and your posts, although more elegant in prose than say, jamyoa, or basketballgirl, are packed with a heaping load of douchery. I've never seen a poster here who more aggressively defends completely inane points like his life depended on it. Go back to spurstalk. That's where you belong.
"jamoya and basketballgirl aren't walking through that door!"
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't opened this thread in a long time. I wish I hadn't opened it today. Some people are just incapable of sports common sense. Some people are incapable of looking at the numbers or even watching a dang game and understanding anything that they have seen. Dirk is one of the all time great playoff performers. When his team is on the brink of elimination, his game goes from an All-NBA level to one of the top playoff performers in the history of the game. His playoff numbers are nothing short of astounding.

Usually, the game gets more difficult in the playoffs. But not for Dirk. He has stepped his game up in the playoffs like very few in the history of the NBA. It's astounding to see such absolute stupidity come from the mouths/hands of some of you.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

wow keep arguing a point you already lost badly. You should listen when even mods have to take off their gloves.

Are you just going to use anecodal arguments and two series to argue against raw stats that say you are wrong and then attribute it to merely differing opinions? Its one thing to have a differing opinion. Its another to handpick a couple of outlying stats and pack them full of BS and then offer it as an alternative to the accepted, fact-based truth.

Its as if you wanted to argue that Beaubois was a terrible 3pt shooter and choose the couple of games where he went 0-4 or something while completely ignoring the season %. Its all pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-18-2010 at 12:11 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #39
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
wow keep arguing a point you already lost badly. You should listen when even mods have to take off their gloves.

Are you just going to use anecodal arguments and two series to argue against raw stats that say you are wrong and then attribute it to merely differing opinions? Its one thing to have a differing opinion. Its another to handpick a couple of outlying stats and pack them full of BS and then offer it as an alternative to the accepted, fact-based truth.
Did you even read my post? It sounds like you were just mad by seeing my name in this thread and decided to respond. I said 3 playoff series that I could recall and there could be more. They were all considered Dirk's prime as well. The truth is we would probably have a championship if Dirk found his swagger at key parts of the playoffs. 2 crucial free throw misses against Miami. I didn't find my comments so bad but some tend to overreact and act like I said something horrible. I know they are bad memories and I hate talking about them now. I'm going to ignore this thread now no matter what the hate.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #40
Underdog

Quote:
The truth is we would probably have a championship if Dirk found his swagger at key parts of the playoffs.
You'll never win a pissing contest with a penis that small...

Dirk dares you to come up with another explanation.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
1000thingsihateaboutyou, awww now he´s gone :d, epic thread, hedoesn'tlikeithere:-(, mavsban1000, mavsfan1000 should die., mavsxpert1000, thread police