Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #41
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Always? I'm not sure. I haven't mapped out my posting behavior for the rest of eternity just yet. I'll let you know when I do.
I am sorry. That's my fault. That's not really what I meant or was interested in. I'm sure no one is interested in the mapping out of your future postings.

My apologies for not being forthright. What I meant was: Are all future moves or non-moves going to be viewed by you through the prism of the championship?

It would be a nice default, of course. But I'm not sure it would be all that productive. In fact, I think it would be trivial.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #42
haCORErdMav

haCORErdMav has a spectacular aura abouthaCORErdMav has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Whom is the top college players this year? I smell a lottery pick
Andre Drummond? Best big by a fairly safe margin. Draws comparison to Amare Stoudemire. So in my opinion a PF/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
so when we have a big 3 of howard, williams, and dirk next year will cuban still suck?
Assuming the above phantasy comes to fruition, and assuming we get Howard and Williams, you have a "potential allstar" to backup Dirk and Howard. Also you have a future replacement for Dirk at the PF position.... Also assuming Drummonds skill set doesn't clash with Howards, See Shaq-Amare.

But as far as i am concerned this year is the ONLY year where having a shot at a top 5 pick would be good considering if you do get Howard and/or Williams next year i cant imagine them wanting to play for a team that is ever a lottery team while they are on it.

All in all though i still say championship or bust. Im sure having the #1 pick is exciting for some teams fans, mabey even euphoric during the Draft.
However as per last years playoffs, watching the whole team play like a group who refused to be denied series after series, and not to mention a whole months worth of Dirk playing out of his mind to a level ive only seen from other greats. It really was absolute bliss watching Dirk and the Mavs march through the playoffs. I would love to have Howard and/or Williams... Even the 1st over all pick would be nice, but every year after this point the chances of seeing Dirk perform to such a level again decreases exponentially.
haCORErdMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about all of what I've seen in the last two weeks, I'm actually excited to see how this all turns out. Sure, people will be freaking out right now, but would you seriously want the team to look like they're on top of the world right now? That's a hell of a long time to maintain that pace. I'd rather them going through the growing pains now and be ready when it actually matters.

Carlisle has been preaching about the team needing to be on edge, be uncomfortable. He talked tonight about loving pressure and being able to respond. If this were easy, there would be a ton of teams that repeat all of the time. Teams are flat out gunning to take out the Mavs now. It's a totally different mindset that the team has to embrace. They have to know that they're getting the best shot every team has to offer on that given night.

This is going to take some time. There's quite a bit of talent on this roster, just like there was last season. There were some problems that were going on at scattered points of the season: injuries, JJ not being able to hit a three, Haywood looking lost, Kidd looking old and losing his shooting touch, Jet looking like he's on his own world. They found a way to work through that. If it can happen once, it can certainly happen again.

It's a different team, but there are vital pieces that still remain. The new pieces can be integrated into the fold and give this team what it needs. This won't be the same team from last year, a new identity will have to be created. It's going to take time and a lot of hard work. With the people that are involved, I'm expecting them to look forward to getting their hands dirty and getting down to work.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #44
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

This thread smells like shit.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #45
haCORErdMav

haCORErdMav has a spectacular aura abouthaCORErdMav has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Thinking about all of what I've seen in the last two weeks, I'm actually excited to see how this all turns out. Sure, people will be freaking out right now, but would you seriously want the team to look like they're on top of the world right now? That's a hell of a long time to maintain that pace. I'd rather them going through the growing pains now and be ready when it actually matters.

Carlisle has been preaching about the team needing to be on edge, be uncomfortable. He talked tonight about loving pressure and being able to respond. If this were easy, there would be a ton of teams that repeat all of the time. Teams are flat out gunning to take out the Mavs now. It's a totally different mindset that the team has to embrace. They have to know that they're getting the best shot every team has to offer on that given night.

This is going to take some time. There's quite a bit of talent on this roster, just like there was last season. There were some problems that were going on at scattered points of the season: injuries, JJ not being able to hit a three, Haywood looking lost, Kidd looking old and losing his shooting touch, Jet looking like he's on his own world. They found a way to work through that. If it can happen once, it can certainly happen again.

It's a different team, but there are vital pieces that still remain. The new pieces can be integrated into the fold and give this team what it needs. This won't be the same team from last year, a new identity will have to be created. It's going to take time and a lot of hard work. With the people that are involved, I'm expecting them to look forward to getting their hands dirty and getting down to work.
We know what the core vets can do or should be able to, minus any decline in athletic ability due to age. But i want to know what the new additions and young bucks are capable of, Oh and if Haywood can play up to his contract. Considering the compressed schedule we really need those guys to be able to play up to or exceed their potential.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #46
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

The mavs aren't nearing a lottery pick and Anthony Davis is hands down better than Andre Drummond. Drummond's a lot more similar to Cousins that STAT
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #47
haCORErdMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The mavs aren't nearing a lottery pick and Anthony Davis is hands down better than Andre Drummond. Drummond's a lot more similar to Cousins that STAT
Having Dirk on your team you should be no where near a lottery pick, but with the shortened season you never know. Aside from tanking which i think is nothing but Bad juju for most teams.

You might be right but i still think most teams will covet the interior presence of Drummond over Davis at this point regardless of potential. Not until march will teams really be able to put a value on these players.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #48
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
That's exactly what happened really. The new CBA really limits roster flexibility when a team is over the cap, and luxury tax threshold. The Mavs FO is doing their best to put the best product on the court this year without completely dismantling any hope of future improvements with this team beyond this year. The Mavs tried to bring both players back on 1 year deals (Chandler being offered 20 million, in fact) but they are not going to give anybody outside an absolute superstar guaranteed money over multiple years, it's just not gonna happen heading into an offseason with a rich FA crop.

The Mavs have a chance next offseason to surround Dirk's last few great years with really, really, really talented players.
Thats correct. Cuban basically stated as such between the lines. He is just getting an early start on getting this team adjusted to the new cap rules. I am glad he learned his lesson on being limited in signing new talent by being over the cap. Chandler basically fell into the Mavs lap last year too. With out him they don't win. I think Cuban is trying to get this francise to the point where they can act proactively instead of waiting for those lucky breaks which don't happen that often.

This will be a good year to get the youngsters Roddy? Jones etc either ready or recognize that they need to be replaced. I think people also forget that RC is not a quick study and it takes him quite a long time to evaluate the talent he has and the best way to use them. By next year that should be accomplished and all he will have to do ins integrate the few new peices that they surley will acquire in free agency.

People don't be so immidiate gradification obsessed. Last year was a gift for us a perfect storm. The team needed to be restructured for the future any way. What seems bad is actually good. It is the very thing that is needed to assure that the future is secured. For too many years what kept this team from winning was the stupid belief that they were just a good ( not super ) player from winning it all. The front office is finally thinking long term and thats a good sign for the future success of this francise.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #49
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav4ever View Post
if i was dirk i'd ask to be traded.

how can you not at least sign jj or tyson? and give dirk at least a chance at another one.

you found the formula and you throw it away?
Do you honestly think this level of play has anything to do with Chandler? We're horrible on both ends of the court. Do you really think JJ would have made a difference, when we were down by 30, again 30 in both games? The team is clearly completely out of sync, which i wouldn't have a problem with, but honestly, in both games we showed piss poor effort, and that i hate.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #50
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Are we really talking about lottery picks guys?

lmao.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM   #51
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

F*ck this thread.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs and Lakers are tied for last place in the NBA while the Toronto Raptors are the 5th-ranked team in the league...

We're only 2 days into the season, folks.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-27-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #53
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I am sorry. That's my fault. That's not really what I meant or was interested in. I'm sure no one is interested in the mapping out of your future postings.

My apologies for not being forthright. What I meant was: Are all future moves or non-moves going to be viewed by you through the prism of the championship?

It would be a nice default, of course. But I'm not sure it would be all that productive. In fact, I think it would be trivial.
Sounded a lot like Jerry Jones to me...

"You liked that championship, didn't you!"

Fallacious reasoning, then and now.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post

This sounds pretty good, and I understand (and agree) with the notion that it's going to take a while to try and form a cohesive unit. The two things that annoy me right now are: 1)the lack of effort until the team is down about 25, and 2) the absolute refusal of anyone to acknowledge that the team was already a cohesive unit until a bunch of parts were added and subtracted.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #55
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Are we really talking about lottery picks guys?

lmao.
They'd actually be better off since Cuban gutted the team anyways. Right now the mavs will fight for a 7/8 seed and get swept in the first round and then end up with a mid first pick which basically will amount to nothing. At least if they tanked they could seriously improve through the draft.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #56
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

I think the team lost their heart when Cuban gutted the team. He pretty much said "thanks guys it was fun time to move on". Most of the guys on the team are on their last year. Cuban has made it pretty clear that they'll all be gone loyalty be damned. How did he really expect the guys to respond. I mean six months ago they hoisted the Larry O for the Mavs for the first time in 31 years and basically are awarded with a boot in the ass.
Someone please tell me how that's fair for a guy like JT. He's been the heart of the team for years. Gives back to the community and is a fan favorite and he's basically being Steve Nash'ed. I really felt Nash deserved to retire a Mav too.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #57
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

When we gonna sign Walter Whom?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #58
CATCH-17

CATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the rough

It sucks that we couldn't get the band back together but Cuban will find a way to get this team back in the Finals in the next few years.

If Dwight and Deron make it to Free Agency I expect both to be Mavs.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #59
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

shesh, this thread should be renamed "The Entitled Mavs Fan Thread" - Nothing in here but people whining that the mavs arent going to go 66-0 this year. Low basketball IQ remarks. I expect better, especially after the crazy season last year. Did you people even WATCH the games? Dallas was outmatched physically in each series, but found a way to win.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #60
Mark0815

Mark0815 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They'd actually be better off since Cuban gutted the team anyways. Right now the mavs will fight for a 7/8 seed and get swept in the first round and then end up with a mid first pick which basically will amount to nothing. At least if they tanked they could seriously improve through the draft.
That Lamar Odom trade for the Mavs' 2012 1st round draft pick looks a lot better for the Lakers now . At least it's protected.
Mark0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #61
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately we traded our 2012 first round, unprotected, to LA for Lamar Odom...So tanking will be done for LA, so I think we should pull that idea out of our heads.
t
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #62
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

LOL this thread

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #63
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Remember when we started 1-4 and finished with 67 wins?

Or when we started 2-7 and finished with 50 wins?

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #64
nowhereman
Diamond Member

At the start of Rick's first year, I said something kneejerk like "we've wasted Dirk's prime" - please learn from my past dumbassery and don't humiliate yourselves in the first week of a season.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #65
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Remember when we started 1-4 and finished with 67 wins?
Actually, we started 0-4.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #67
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:
I think the team lost their heart when Cuban gutted the team. He pretty much said "thanks guys it was fun time to move on". Most of the guys on the team are on their last year. Cuban has made it pretty clear that they'll all be gone loyalty be damned. How did he really expect the guys to respond. I mean six months ago they hoisted the Larry O for the Mavs for the first time in 31 years and basically are awarded with a boot in the ass...
100% dead-on balls accurate.

How can you expect this team to be hungry, when the owner has made clear that the number 1 goal for this year is to create cap flexibility for future years, especially, as noted abover, when none of those guys will be here next year. It's hard enough for the Dirk/Kidd/Terry/Marion core to stay truly hungry and passionate after finally getting their title towards the end of their long career, but almost impossible when you're chasing nothing but future-year cap space. That may make business since with a 5-7 year plan, but creates a disastrous environment for THIS year, that I think MC misjudged.

Plus:

Lamar - looks like he could not care less anymore, which has to make you wonder if LA know what they were doing in axing him. I mean, LA is one of the smartest and best-run orgz in all of sports, and yet they gave away the reigning 6th-man to a top rival for virtually nothing.

Haywood - will have ZERO motivation this year, b/c he knows he's getting cut next year, but while still getting paid big $$. Imagine if your employer told you would be fired in a year, but that you'd still get paid top $ for several more years to come. How motivated would you be?

Vince - Once it becomes clear this team is not a contender, what in the world does he have to play for. He's a good guy who will dutifully do his job, but don't expect elite level-intensity from him now.

So the Core-4 will play hard like the professionals they are, but not with that title-seeking edge/itensity like before, with the rest of the crew having no real reason to put forth any sincere effort at all.

Sad to see the defending champs look this way.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #68
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Actually, we started 0-4.
Yeah well we ALSO started 1-4

(i.e. I stand corrected!)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...007_games.html

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #69
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Also, that year Phoenix started 1-6 and finished with 61 wins.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #70
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

What would have been really terrible is if we brought back Chandler and Barea with those grossly overpaid contracts and still lost so profoundly. There is absolutely no guarantee this team would be any less lethargic had we brought back the entire roster. At that point you'd be all in with those guys for the next 4-5 years with very little room for improvement or change. I say count your blessings because, imo, Chandler and Barea alone do not transform these massacres into wins.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #71
yingyangyung
Banned

yingyangyung is infamous around these parts

This is happening because you all betrayed barea. Barea was a lot better in the playoffs than the guy who likes to hit women.
yingyangyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #72
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs win last season was a triumph of total team basketball... OKC and Miami has superior parts, but Dallas' parts fit together better. It was also a triumph of inspried basketball, because, lets face it, Kidd never defended Kobe or Lebron that well before. JJB never shot or defended that well before. Jet never really defended at all before.

Can they do it again remains an open question, but to have a chance, they must play as a team. The offense last season thrived on the extra pass...thats going to be very hard to accomplish until the players actually know each other. With so many new players, the lockout makes it very hard for them to mesh. We have to look at these games as an extension of training camp. Teams that brought back all of their starters have a clear advantage, and so far, we've faced 3 of the best teams that made no major changes.

We might get it together in time...we may not. I'm already on record as saying we should have tried to keep Chandler, because he was the perfect fit, and all we had to do to keep him was pay him. Cuban instead decided to gamble that he can hit the free agent lottery next year. I think its a bad bet, but its too late to change it.

At this point, they are still my Mavs. I survived the 14 win season...I can survive this. But it won't be pretty...not for a long time.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #73
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Is the 2012 pick lottery protected? does anyone know for sure?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #74
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
What would have been really terrible is if we brought back Chandler and Barea with those grossly overpaid contracts and still lost so profoundly. There is absolutely no guarantee this team would be any less lethargic had we brought back the entire roster. At that point you'd be all in with those guys for the next 4-5 years with very little room for improvement or change. I say count your blessings because, imo, Chandler and Barea alone do not transform these massacres into wins.
Bingo.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #75
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Is the 2012 pick lottery protected? does anyone know for sure?
The first round pick to the Lakers is top 20 protected for the next 6 years and can be conferred to the Lakers at the Mavs choosing.

Bottom line is if for some reason the Mavs go winless for the next 6 years, the pick is the Mavs.

As an aside, I wish everyone would tap the breaks a bit.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #76
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Nor any guarantee that they would not have been as lethargic. I would expect they would not as both of those guys typically ( and currently) are showing a lot more energy than the bunch out there now.

In fact even using the word guarantee about anything we are talking about is kinda bull. There is no guarantee for anything in sport.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 12-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #77
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quit whining shawn. You don't need chandler back there.

"Forward Shawn Marion said rebuilding trust on the defensive end begins in the middle where the demonstrative Chandler took charge during his one season in Dallas. Starting center Brendan Haywood and a collection of power forwards new to the team are trying to fill the void.

"He was our big presence inside and we need that," Marion said of Chandler, a free agent who joined the New York Knicks via sign-and-trade. "We all collectively got to help each other and get it. Somebody's got to be barking back there on that back line. We've all got to communicate with each other and you've got to have that presence."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #78
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

"Forward Shawn Marion said rebuilding trust on the defensive end begins in the middle where the demonstrative Chandler took charge during his one season in Dallas. Starting center Brendan Haywood and a collection of power forwards new to the team are trying to fill the void.

"He was our big presence inside and we need that," Marion said of Chandler, a free agent who joined the New York Knicks via sign-and-trade. "We all collectively got to help each other and get it. Somebody's got to be barking back there on that back line. We've all got to communicate with each other and you've got to have that presence."
I saw that too. That's a little alarming.

Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #79
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

"He was our big presence inside and we need that[/B]," Marion said of Chandler, a free agent who joined the New York Knicks via sign-and-trade. "[B]We all collectively got to help each other and get it. Somebody's got to be barking back there on that back line. We've all got to communicate with each other and you've got to have that presence."
This just means that whoever is back there needs to be talking, needs to have that presence. This isn't omg Chandler isn't there, we can't function until he comes back.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #80
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Cuban's goal is to retain cap flexibility. I mean look at the first chip he was able to add in this new CBA.....freaking Lamar Odom at next to nothing. What did Dirk say last year, after the finals win, this was a win for team basketball. The start of TC to opening day is normally what, 30 days? 8 preseason games? NIcely spread out to include practices? We had 16 days, 2 squished in preseason games? This team unfortunately will need time to gel.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote