Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default You're the new owner of the Mavs. What would you do?

If you are now the new owner of the Mavs, What would you do to fix this heaping pile of dogshit?

Most of us have similar outlooks, but I'm interested in some details.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2023, 10:53 PM   #2
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1.

I'd start off by firing Kidd in the morning and meet with all the assistants and offer the most impressive one an interim HC role to buy some time. I would have a ton of coaches globally, college coaches and assistants elsehere wanting a meeting.

I'd plan to be at every single practice. I'd be in every scout meeting. I'd be meeting with Nico every day for a while.

Old 11-26-2023, 11:12 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Step 1.

I'd start off by firing Kidd in the morning and meet with all the assistants and offer the most impressive one an interim HC role to buy some time. I would have a ton of coaches globally, college coaches and assistants elsehere wanting a meeting.

I'd plan to be at every single practice. I'd be in every scout meeting. I'd be meeting with Nico every day for a while.
Honestly think Kidd is at least part of the problem.

Rick was all about xs and os and tenacity, grit, and determination

Luka and co weren?t that professional so they clashed and instead of the whole franchise saying Rick was right, they canned him and grabbed a coach the players liked. A real laid back dude.

Now we have Kidd who fancies himself a Phil Jackson type but Luka isn?t Kobe. Kobe was all about nutrition, spending hours in the gym, and hours watching tape on opponents. Luka just isn?t. Players may like Kidd but this team needs to get its ass beat.

There hasn?t been a single game this year where we?ve come in like pros ready to take care of business. Early this season we sucked in the first half and then fixed it in the second. Now teams are whomping us from min 1 to min 48. This team just isnt professional because our coach isn?t and our star isn?t.

Mavs had two days to prepare for the Clips and Clips came in barely rested and yet the Clips looked like the pros who had watched tape and the Mavs looked like the undisciplined novices on a B2B.

Disgraceful

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-26-2023 at 11:57 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 11:27 PM   #4
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Fire Kidd. Need a coach that?s going to hold the team accountable and also take accountability themselves.

Package Green THJ and/or Hardy and get Drummond/Vooch

Capela would set back Lively and both deserve starter minutes. .

Last edited by Melonhead; 11-26-2023 at 11:28 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:33 AM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Fire Kidd. Need a coach that?s going to hold the team accountable and also take accountability themselves.

Package Green THJ and/or Hardy and get Drummond/Vooch

Capela would set back Lively and both deserve starter minutes. .
The only problem I'd have with that deal would be the center pecking order:
1. Lively
2. Powell
3. Vuc
4. Drummond
5. Holmes
6. Maxi

As owner I'd have to waive Powell too because that guy finds starter minutes no matter who the coach is.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:42 AM   #6
sig

sig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the roughsig is a jewel in the rough

Encouraged with the team overall. 20% into the season now. They just went thru a tough travels stretch with a lot of games in few days and look tired. Would be easy to let Kidd go but I like that he relates to the players and the roster really lacks size for most coaches to succeed.

Is Stotts available? Kidd could use a vet assistant like him on the bench. A lot of young asst. coaches on that bench. He'd be a solid replacement if it comes to that.

Get a PF even if it means Green is the trade chip. Or start playing Omax and live with some of his mistakes. A healthy Maxi would be nice but when is the last time he was able to be relied on to stay healthy. GW is not a full time PF. He gets exposed defensively unless guarding them on the perimeter.

Last edited by sig; 11-27-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add more content.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:51 AM   #7
R28J

R28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the rough

1. Fire Kidd and Nico. They were hired by the previous owner as a package deal.

2. Hire Dennis Lindsey as the new GM of my team. Instruct him to clean out the FO of all the old owner's buddies. Lindsey will have the power to hire any and all FO personal and new head coach.

3. I would give the new GM a list of players I would like to see traded, looking for draft picks in doing so. Yes, Luka is on that list, (EL posted above that Luka is not professional). That is a nice way of saying it. I also am not a fan of Luka/Harden ball.

Others on the trade list are Hardaway, Powell and Kleber. I'm not a fan and they have been here way to long due to the previous owner's buddy system.

If Kyrie is not happy with the Kidd firing and the Luka trade, we can trade him as well.

4. Break the TV deal with Bally Sports and put the Mavs on TV locally for every game of the season. And replace Harp as Follows side kick.*Also, Demerse has to go as well (old owners buddy).

5. What I won't do as the new owner: A. Sit on the bench or stand on the court. B. Travel with the team. C. Conduct interviews or go on pod casts. D. Interfere with the GM or new Coach on basketball decisions or playing time.
R28J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R28J View Post

2. Hire Dennis Lindsey as the new GM of my team. Instruct him to clean out the FO of all the old owner's buddies. Lindsey will have the power to hire any and all FO personal and new head coach.

3. I would give the new GM a list of players I would like to see traded, looking for draft picks in doing so. Yes, Luka is on that list, (EL posted above that Luka is not professional). That is a nice way of saying it. I also am not a fan of Luka/Harden ball.

Others on the trade list are Hardaway, Powell and Kleber. I'm not a fan and they have been here way to long due to the previous owner's buddy system.

If Kyrie is not happy with the Kidd firing and the Luka trade, we can trade him as well.

4. Break the TV deal with Bally Sports and put the Mavs on TV locally for every game of the season. And replace Harp as Follows side kick.*Also, Demerse has to go as well (old owners buddy).

5. What I won't do as the new owner: A. Sit on the bench or stand on the court. B. Travel with the team. C. Conduct interviews or go on pod casts. D. Interfere with the GM or new Coach on basketball decisions or playing time.
I like some of this. I personally would disagree with 5, aside from not accepting any interviews. I would be very selective with interviews I give though.

My trading block would be a long list of available players.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:44 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post
Encouraged with the team overall. 20% into the season now. They just went thru a tough travels stretch with a lot of games in few days and look tired. Would be easy to let Kidd go but I like that he relates to the players and the roster really lacks size for most coaches to succeed.

Is Stotts available? Kidd could use a vet assistant like him on the bench. A lot of young asst. coaches on that bench. He'd be a solid replacement if it comes to that.

Get a PF even if it means Green is the trade chip. Or start playing Omax and live with some of his mistakes. A healthy Maxi would be nice but when is the last time he was able to be relied on to stay healthy. GW is not a full time PF. He gets exposed defensively unless guarding them on the perimeter.
For Kidd to succeed, he would need an incredible roster. I wouldn't waste any time trying to give him assistants.

Maxi is never going to get better than he was. I dont like any of his game. He would be right next to DP at the top of the list of availables. Maxi is a good stop gap 4 or 5 who can fill in on occasion and maybe help a team through grooming the eventual starter.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #10
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I would come to dallas-mavs.com for all my decision making.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:21 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
That would be the best decision an owner has made in a while.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:26 AM   #12
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I'd throw out the "Only one 7 footer allowed on the roster" policy.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #13
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

1. Meet with Nico and ask for his vision of the team with him highlighting the obstacles he has faced since taking over as GM as well his assessment of JKidd. This is critical. In my mind, Kidd is already gone, so if Nico doesn't see him as an obstacle to the future then they are both out the door.

2. Next up is his assessment of all other personnel including assistant coaches and players. Why did we re-sign Dwight Powell? Were there any options to trade THJ where we decided the return package was not good enough. He needs to defend his decisions adequately or, again, he is fired.

3. If Nico is fired, then the search for a new GM must begin, Micheal Finley will serve as Interim. Kidd is fired, and one of the assistant coaches is given an interim tag to lead the team for the remainder of the season. If Nico is retained, then the new Head Coach search starts immediately with an Assistant Coach as the interim.

4. I sit down with Luka and Kyrie (separately) and get their assessment of the current roster. What do they see as the greatest need(s)?

5. I direct Nico or Finley to build a more physical front line with an emphasis on defense. Assuming we keep Luka and Kyrie, the frontcourt must be feared by opposing teams. In other words, you might get by Luke and Kyrie but you will be met with physicality when you move into the paint.

6. If a rebuilding of the roster is not possible with our current assets, then we see what return we can get by trading Luka and/or Kyrie.

7. The new GM (or Nico if he is retained) will assume full control over personnel decisions and I step back to observe and evaluate the decision-making. I attend games but rather than being behind the bench looking for air time, I sit in a luxury suite and drink Manhattans with Dirk.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think Nico is worth saving. Every move he's made has been neutral or positive. A lot of the problems he's had were with a FO that was divided (Bob and Donnie) or just Donnie/Cuban thinking they could win the game with a bunch of failed run plays and a few bad hail marys.

Cant get rid of Cuban's influence, but you can respect that Nico has done a good job considering what he's been given.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:19 PM   #15
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think Nico is worth saving. Every move he's made has been neutral or positive. A lot of the problems he's had were with a FO that was divided (Bob and Donnie) or just Donnie/Cuban thinking they could win the game with a bunch of failed run plays and a few bad hail marys.

Cant get rid of Cuban's influence, but you can respect that Nico has done a good job considering what he's been given.
Kidd is the one obvious obstacle to a better Mavs team. If Nico doesn't see it that way, then he needs to pack his bags. I agree his moves as GM with player personnel have been much better than the previous regime. But I do not know his opinion on Kidd. Would he attempt to save him or let him go?

My memory is that Kidd and Nico were hired right around the same time and that they had some relationship prior to joining the Mavs. Did he have any influence on the Kidd decision?

Last edited by purplefrog; 11-28-2023 at 04:20 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #16
R28J

R28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If you are now the new owner of the Mavs, What would you do to fix this heaping pile of dogshit?

Most of us have similar outlooks, but I'm interested in some details.
With the news today of the sale of the team - nice timing...

You are you and what else do you know?
Old 11-28-2023, 09:29 PM   #17
R28J

Quote:

I would like to update my #1 action to read as - Not Keep Cuban on as Controlling Partner.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:21 AM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
1. Meet with Nico and ask for his vision of the team with him highlighting the obstacles he has faced since taking over as GM as well his assessment of JKidd. This is critical. In my mind, Kidd is already gone, so if Nico doesn't see him as an obstacle to the future then they are both out the door.

2. Next up is his assessment of all other personnel including assistant coaches and players. Why did we re-sign Dwight Powell? Were there any options to trade THJ where we decided the return package was not good enough. He needs to defend his decisions adequately or, again, he is fired.

3. If Nico is fired, then the search for a new GM must begin, Micheal Finley will serve as Interim. Kidd is fired, and one of the assistant coaches is given an interim tag to lead the team for the remainder of the season. If Nico is retained, then the new Head Coach search starts immediately with an Assistant Coach as the interim.

4. I sit down with Luka and Kyrie (separately) and get their assessment of the current roster. What do they see as the greatest need(s)?

5. I direct Nico or Finley to build a more physical front line with an emphasis on defense. Assuming we keep Luka and Kyrie, the frontcourt must be feared by opposing teams. In other words, you might get by Luke and Kyrie but you will be met with physicality when you move into the paint.

6. If a rebuilding of the roster is not possible with our current assets, then we see what return we can get by trading Luka and/or Kyrie.

7. The new GM (or Nico if he is retained) will assume full control over personnel decisions and I step back to observe and evaluate the decision-making. I attend games but rather than being behind the bench looking for air time, I sit in a luxury suite and drink Manhattans with Dirk.
👍👍👍

Old 11-29-2023, 01:24 AM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
With the news today of the sale of the team - nice timing...

You are you and what else do you know?
I know nothing. All luck

Old 11-29-2023, 08:34 AM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Heaping pile of dogshit? Am I the only one here who actually thinks the team is pretty good? I think were one quality 4 and a quality backup 4-5 away from being a serious title contender. Trade some of our guard depth and/or picks for those missing pieces.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rick was all about xs and os and tenacity, grit, and determination

Luka and co weren?t that professional so they clashed and instead of the whole franchise saying Rick was right, they canned and grabbed a coach the players liked. A real laid back dude.
Eh, I don't agree with this at all. I mean, maybe the part about grabbing a coach the players liked. I'm by no means the biggest fan of Kidd. But I think Rick's time had come and gone. I don't think it had much of anything to do with Luka not being professional. Rick Carlisle is plainly and simply an asshole. He has alienated people his entire career. Not just young, "unprofessional" players. Front office, media, and older, veteran players as well as younger ones. It's the reason he got fired by the Pistons out of nowhere after an extremely successful season where they had the #1 seed in the East and went to the conference finals. The entire organization there just did not like him. And I can't prove this, but I do think that Carlisle's presence was at least partially responsible for our complete inability to sign quality free agents. To say that Carlisle is known for not playing a "player's coach" is an understatement. He's downright infamous.

Luka did not like Rick at all, true. But I remember reading multiple reports to the effect that it had nothing to do with the way Rick treated Luka himself, rather that Luka was thoroughly disgusted with the way Rick treated other people. In fact, supposedly Rick coddled Luka quite a bit, while still treating others poorly, which Luka found distasteful. Specifically there was the story during Luka's rookie year where, in front of the entire team, he accused DSJ of being jealous of Luka- when in reality Luka and DSJ liked each other very much, and DSJ was doing his best to adjust to being the #2 option. Supposedly Luka was disgusted by that incident and never forgot it. If I can find a link, I'll post it.

That's the only specific anecdote that I know of, but I get the impression that it wasn't an isolated incident. There's being a hardass disciplinarian, which all good coaches should be. And then there's just being an asshole. Rick Carlisle is both. You can get away with being an asshole when the team is winning. But after a second straight first round loss (choking a 2-0 lead to boot), I think the Donnie Nelson/Rick Carlisle era had run its course and it was time to make a change.

I do not think the answer after that Clippers loss was for the whole franchise to say "Rick is right."

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-29-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:09 AM   #22
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The team is good at offense, but allowing Houston to shoot nearly 50% from the field is something that has to be fixed. Out defense needs to be at least in the 15 range for this offensive thing to work.

I'd eye Chicago for Caruso and Drummond.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:15 AM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The team is good at offense, but allowing Houston to shoot nearly 50% from the field is something that has to be fixed. Out defense needs to be at least in the 15 range for this offensive thing to work.

Agreed. It needs to be fixed. I just think the doom and gloom is a bit much. I think we're a mid-tier playoff team. I think that's miles away from being a "heaping pile of dogshit," but that's just me. Like I said, I think we need a quality starting 4 and another quality big off the bench. I think we have probably the best guard depth in the league, but the worst frontcourt depth.

And I'd take Caruso and Drummond in a heartbeat. It won't fix our fontcourt defense, but Drummond is at least still serviceable and can still rebound.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:46 AM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Both Kidd and Rick said it well: if we aren't top 10-15 in both offense and defense, we aren't going anywhere.

We're 3rd in offense and 24th in defense (up from 27th earlier in the season)

Considering we have the best rebounding PG in the game, being 28th in rebounding %, is surprising and also a huge problem.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-29-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:58 AM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Both Kidd and Rick said it well: if we aren't top 10-15 in both offense and defense, we aren't going anywhere.

We're 3rd in offense and 24th in defense (up from 27th earlier in the season)
No arguments here. Again, I think we have the best guard depth in the league, but probably the worst frontcourt depth. If your only even serviceable big is a 19 year old rookie, that's a problem.

Quote:
Considering we have the best rebounding PG in the game, being 28th in rebounding %, is surprising and also a huge problem.
Is it surprising? I don't think it's surprising at all. I think it's self explanatory. If your best rebounder is your point guard, that's a problem- even if he is the best rebounding point guard in the league, it still speaks to how bad your big men are.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-29-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:28 PM   #26
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Quote:

Mavs receive: Drummond, Caruso, and DeRozan (last year of his contract; doubtful to re-sign?)
Bulls receive: Hardy, Green, Hardaway, and Holmes

or

Mavs Receive Caruso, Drummond, and Williams
Bulls Receive: Hardy, Green, and Holmes

Good in theory, but I bet the Bulls could get a better offer if they are shopping any of their veteran players.

Would you be willing to give up Green + Hardy for Caruso + Drummond?

Last edited by purplefrog; 11-29-2023 at 12:30 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #27
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Heaping pile of dogshit? Am I the only one here who actually thinks the team is pretty good? I think were one quality 4 and a quality backup 4-5 away from being a serious title contender. Trade some of our guard depth and/or picks for those missing pieces.
This right here. Insane to look at this team versus last year and claim is at that bad...

Need better big depth, potentially a high-end starter at the 4. But I just want one quality big backup, anything else is a bonus.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #28
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Mavs receive: Drummond, Caruso, and DeRozan (last year of his contract; doubtful to re-sign?)
Bulls receive: Hardy, Green, Hardaway, and Holmes

or

Mavs Receive Caruso, Drummond, and Williams
Bulls Receive: Hardy, Green, and Holmes

Good in theory, but I bet the Bulls could get a better offer if they are shopping any of their veteran players.

Would you be willing to give up Green + Hardy for Caruso + Drummond?
I think I've made it to the point where Hardy is easily tradeable for me. Green looks to be finding hit footing, but if he can be used to upgrade the roster? I'd look at moving him.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
This right here. Insane to look at this team versus last year and claim is at that bad...

Need better big depth, potentially a high-end starter at the 4. But I just want one quality big backup, anything else is a bonus.
Yes, exactly. Last year, for sure, the team was in absolute shambles. I was about to give up hope completely. But then they went and had a solid offseason and righted the ship. Lively in particular is so far ahead of schedule, it's astounding.

For anyone who's not paying attention, the Mavs currently the 3rd seed in the west, and only 2 games behind the 1 seed. They're 11-6, which is on pace to finish with 53 wins. Not a title contender, no, but hardly the dumpster fire you'd think if you were just going by this forum.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #30
SMC0007
Guru

I dont care about projected record at this point unless we were winning in totally different fashion than previous years. We have 3 talented players and the rest range from filler to decent depending on the night.
We are 2 wins better than last season at this point. Its not like we are on some clear path to contention as built. IMO, Its fair to compare it to last season because aside from Lively we are still winning and losing in the same ways, no defense and live and die by the 3. If we add a high level starting PF and a decent back up big, then of course we are better and I'd have to think we would be built to contend, and thats if you can look past Kidd.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:57 PM   #31
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ha! Except for the game day threads.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:47 PM   #32
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The team would be Dennis Smith Jr and 11 seven foot plus spares.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 01:20 AM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I dont care about projected record at this point unless we were winning in totally different fashion than previous years. We have 3 talented players and the rest range from filler to decent depending on the night.
We are 2 wins better than last season at this point. Its not like we are on some clear path to contention as built. IMO, Its fair to compare it to last season because aside from Lively we are still winning and losing in the same ways, no defense and live and die by the 3. If we add a high level starting PF and a decent back up big, then of course we are better and I'd have to think we would be built to contend, and thats if you can look past Kidd.
We're two wins better than last year at this point. We had a decent start last year. The wheels fell off in the second half of the season.

Either way, if you really think it's a "heaping pile of dogshit," then honestly, why even bother follow the team? You don't seem to get any joy out of this.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:28 AM   #34
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Honestly, on the note of not getting joy out of the Mavs... I think I might finally be done here. I've stayed on long, long after there were any real signs of life, because I occasionally enjoyed exchanging insights from the last few die-hards, but all I ever see here is bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch. The team sucks, and Luka Doncic (you know, our generational superstar who in 5 years has already put of a Hall of Fame worthy career, is easily one of the top five players in the league, and is basically a walking 30 point triple double) is a fat, lazy, selfish, unprofessional loser.

If all I had to go by was this forum, not only would I have stopped following the Dallas Mavericks, I'd blow my fucking brains out.

But thankfully I have functioning eyeballs, and I can see that the Mavs are actually a relevant playoff team. Flawed, yes, but still a team that wins plenty more than it loses, and one that is quite fun to watch at that. I think some of you people need fucking therapy. Professional therapy. I hope you get it. Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying watching the Mavs in the playoffs- even if it is a second round or even first round exit.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:24 AM   #35
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Honestly, on the note of not getting joy out of the Mavs... I think I might finally be done here. I've stayed on long, long after there were any real signs of life, because I occasionally enjoyed exchanging insights from the last few die-hards, but all I ever see here is bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch. The team sucks, and Luka Doncic (you know, our generational superstar who in 5 years has already put of a Hall of Fame worthy career, is easily one of the top five players in the league, and is basically a walking 30 point triple double) is a fat, lazy, selfish, unprofessional loser.

If all I had to go by was this forum, not only would I have stopped following the Dallas Mavericks, I'd blow my fucking brains out.

But thankfully I have functioning eyeballs, and I can see that the Mavs are actually a relevant playoff team. Flawed, yes, but still a team that wins plenty more than it loses, and one that is quite fun to watch at that. I think some of you people need fucking therapy. Professional therapy. I hope you get it. Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying watching the Mavs in the playoffs- even if it is a second round or even first round exit.
I have a suggestion. Start a fn thread and ask for roses. I asked for details on how you would improve the team in this one. All youve done is bitch about peoples opinion, word choice and threaten to leave. If you have such a positive outlook and your eyeballs are superior to everyone elses, then make a thread for it and hopefully you can pop in there everyday and get what you need to stay here. Or.. As the saying goes, this is not an airport, theres no need to announce your departure. Good luck on Twitter lol.

I follow the team because I have done so since early 90s. Its what I know. Ive put in my time with this organization and Ive been around this forum about as long as you. This is my "therapy", Talking shit with many of the same people since 2008. I prefer this place over others because no one is selling sht or farming clicks and follows etc. It may be raw and harsh at times but thats part of being a fan.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:34 AM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, I said the Mavs were fun to watch this year because of their offense so...

That doesn't negate the fact that not playing defense or rebounding will doom them come playoff time. If all you are looking for is a fun regular season, then have at it. But it's early and we've had wins against mostly crappy teams. This "fun" can turn around really fast when you aren't taking defense seriously.

And if you don't like negativity, then I'd steer clear of twitter and reddit...and basically all other social media.

Like SMC said, people are on here because they are true fans. They aren't looking for clicks.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #37
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean, I said the Mavs were fun to watch this year because of their offense so...

That doesn't negate the fact that not playing defense or rebounding will doom them come playoff time. If all you are looking for is a fun regular season, then have at it. But it's early and we've had wins against mostly crappy teams. This "fun" can turn around really fast when you aren't taking defense seriously.
We will know alot by the end of december...they have 12 or 13 games the last 3 weeks of the year. Couple b2bs, some playoff contenders etc.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:01 AM   #38
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I'm just glad that we found our future center. The team is not good, but it's not terrible either, I agree with most of you that we would definitely need a new coach though.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote