Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Grizzlies offer orally accepted by James Posey

Houston has 15 days to match offer for forward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets forward James Posey has agreed to a four-year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, according to broadcast reports Tuesday.

Houston stations KRIV-TV and KILT radio reported Posey has not signed the offer but has approved it orally and is pleased with it.

"I think I made the best decision for myself and for my future," Posey said, not disclosing financial details. "It was more than what the Rockets put on the table."

The Rockets have 15 days to match the Memphis offer once Posey signs it if they wish to keep the 6-8, 215-pound forward. He has averaged 9.4 points, five rebounds and 1.29 steals in 319 games with Denver and Houston in a six-year NBA career.

"It's really in their court right now," Posey said of the Rockets.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis said the team first learned of the offer Tuesday afternoon and had no other response.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Grizzlies offer orally accepted by James Posey

Another guy on my list that the Mavs couldn't land. Or maybe they didn't bother, but why would they when the player would fill a need on the team?

I doubt Houston matches.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

houston probably matches. it has to be under the MLE and posey at this stage of his career unless its a complete max MLE deal, should be re-inked.

i dont think he fits really well into the dallas scheme though, and is going to turn out to be just a slightly above average player.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
asola

asola is on a distinguished road

Excuse me, i'm a grizzlies fan and I haven't seen much of Posey. Could someone please tell me more about him? I'd like to know how he compares with Shane Battier also. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: asola
Excuse me, i'm a grizzlies fan and I haven't seen much of Posey. Could someone please tell me more about him? I'd like to know how he compares with Shane Battier also. Thanks in advance!

More athletic. Jumps out of the gym. He is a good defender, can get the RB, and is getting more consistent offensively.

A couple of years ago Nellie was quoted as saying Posey was the kind of player he wanted to add to the Mavs.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
asola

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan

More athletic. Jumps out of the gym. He is a good defender, can get the RB, and is getting more consistent offensively.

A couple of years ago Nellie was quoted as saying Posey was the kind of player he wanted to add to the Mavs.
Really? I haven't seen many people talking about him in this forum. I don't think the Mavs would mind adding a defensive-minded small forward. So, what's the problem with him? why so little interest (both by the Mavs and around the league)?

People are beginning to joke on Jerry West ("...play his weekly canasta game with Hubie Brown" hahaha) and, while I don't want to hasten my judgement on him, it's difficult to think Posey can be a Jerry-West-like hidden gem. Granted, it mustn't be easy turning the Grizz around but his calls till now can hardly be called succesful.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Grizzlies offer orally accepted by James Posey

Well don't go off of what the Mavs are doing. If it was up to me, we would have tried to go after a Small forward this offseason, but the Mavs are trying to go after the Centers that can't be had for the 4.9 exception.

Don't be so hard on West. He's working his ass off as a GM, something that all GM's should be doing, but Don Nelson would rather spend his time in Maui.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Quote:
Originally posted by: asola

Yes, Posey is an extreme underated jumper, last year i played with him a little bit. He dunked and his head accidently hit the rim. He is also very hard working, i wouldn't be suprised to see his FG% go up alot this next season. Good move West!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:31 PM   #9
asola

Not being a Mavs fan -although it's my 3rd favourite team-, I must say that I think Cuban&Nellie might be right after all. True, Dallas must improve in order to win the championship but the question is how. Overpaying for mediocre talent might be worse than not doing anything. As a fan it's difficult to see your team not signing anyone -plus we're all longing to talk about the newcomers- but in the long run that might be the best thing they could've done.