Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-31-2003, 12:43 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Top 10 SportsCenter Video you'll probably hate me for...

kg, it is good to hear you say that he is not dominant but "damn good" rebounder...no that is not confusing at all..

also thank you for making it personal with the highlight comment....your right, I only watch highlights....good point.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] mature bro, good comment

I never said anything about minutes...i think he should play when he can make a positive impact on the game...and that is only proven by putting him out there....so put him out THERE!....but don't buy the hype that he'll be consistant...cuz he is not that kind of player....

also kg with your shawn plays and we win minutes stat: bro, they won sixty last year....lets be honest you could probably do the same with Eddie or any other guy on the team...because they won 73% of their games!

Listen, I never said I don't want to play him...if that is what ya'll think go read my posts...he should play when he is making a positive impact..is that fair..play him as many minutes as helps the team....just like anyother guy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2003, 12:46 PM   #42
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Sike, I'm with on this all the way.

Bradley will help this team. And I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he contributes more than 15 to 20 minutes this year.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:51 PM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
kg, it is good to hear you say that he is not dominant but "damn good" rebounder...no that is not confusing at all..
It sure sounds like we agree.

Quote:
also thank you for making it personal with the highlight comment....your right, I only watch highlights....good point.
Making it personal? How so? Questioning your knowledge of Bradley's game? Well, yeah, I was doing that.

Quote:
I never said anything about minutes...i think he should play when he can make a positive impact on the game...and that is only proven by putting him out there....so put him out THERE!....but don't buy the hype that he'll be consistant...cuz he is not that kind of player....
The hype that he'll be consistent? Who's spreading that hype? I've repeatedly said Shawn's biggest problem is his inconsistency. However, one thing remains true: When Shawn plays significant minutes, the Mavericks win.

Quote:
also kg with your shawn plays and we win minutes stat: bro, they won sixty last year....lets be honest you could probably do the same with Eddie or any other guy on the team...because they won 73% of their games!
The stats simply don't suggest that, sike. When Shawn didn't play at least 22 mpg, the Mavericks were 25-17. Extrapolating that out for 82 games, that would have equaled 48 wins. The Mavericks simply don't come close to 60 wins last year without Shawn Bradley.

Quote:
Listen, I never said I don't want to play him...if that is what ya'll think go read my posts...he should play when he is making a positive impact..is that fair..play him as many minutes as helps the team....just like anyother guy
He should play at least half the game -- the stats make that clear.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:53 PM   #44
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Bradley will do nothing to significantly alter the fortunes of this team, in crunch time Bradley will never be on the floor, and Bradley rarely has good games against other decent centers, making playing him 2nd string type minutes even more pointless because when we play teams w/o a good center, we can simple trot out the fab 5.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:57 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike

what the stats show is this..when the Mavs go away from small ball and give more minutes another guard or swingman (mostly NVE)..the Mavs are ultimately more successful. Obviously, with no Raef on the roster, Bradley should be even more valuable (especially considering that their additions aren't exactly positive impact players on defense.

AND, winning 87.5% of your games when bradley plays 22 mpg or more IS a significant improvement over the mavs regular season wining percentage of 73.1%...and there's no comparison to the mavs winning percentage when bradley doesn't log 22 minutes....59.5%

let's look at that:

With bradley playing 22 MPG or more - 87.5% winning percentage
With bradley playing less than 22 mpg - 59.5% winning percentage
Overall Mavs winning % - 73.1%
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:59 PM   #46
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
Bradley will do nothing to significantly alter the fortunes of this team
FCC, he already has done something to significantly alter the fortunes of this team. Without him, the Mavericks would not have even had homecourt in the first round last year.

Quote:
in crunch time Bradley will never be on the floor
That's NOT Bradley's fault.

Quote:
and Bradley rarely has good games against other decent centers, making playing him 2nd string type minutes even more pointless because when we play teams w/o a good center, we can simple trot out the fab 5.
Bradley has trouble stopping Shaq. He has trouble stopping Duncan. He sometimes has trouble with Yao.

That hardly makes him different from every other player in the league, nor is it any compelling justification not to play him significant minutes.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:59 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good posts kg...
you better not even try to hate on Bradley at anytime of this season...because stats don't lie...no, stats never make a player look better than he actually is....because even if Bradley is inconsistant as you say...he should play half the game....because of stats that don't lie....and now you had better stick with this argument of half a game based on last years stats.... or you look inconsistant.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #48
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

You're right. I would be inconsistent if I suddenly started arguing that Bradley shouldn't play half the game. Please call me on it if I do.

However, if by "hate on Bradley" you mean criticize Bradley and/or call him inconsistent, well, I've done that periodically for the past couple of years, so I don't know why you'd expect that to change.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #49
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
You're right. I would be inconsistent if I suddenly started arguing that Bradley shouldn't play half the game. Please call me on it if I do.
good enough...being consistent is all you need...you dont need to be right.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:53 PM   #50
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

The nice thing for me is that I get to be both.

Old 10-31-2003, 04:17 PM   #51
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Bradley is picked on so much because of his height and how goofy he looks even when making a terrrific play sometimes. It's a matter of putting image over substance. Most people judge Bradley mostly on his image and not on the overall net of the good and bad that he does on the court. A lot of people judge him just on his image. While you can have image and win championships, it's substance that does the winning. Image only makes you look good doin it.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:32 PM   #52
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Last year, when Shawn Bradley played 22 or more minutes per game, the Mavericks were 35-5, and they held opponents to 42.2% FG shooting. When Shawn Bradley played fewer than 22 minutes per game, the Mavericks were 25-17 and allowed 45.2% FG shooting.
I think that's a pretty damn good argument to put Shawn in for at least half the game.
Quote:
With bradley playing 22 MPG or more - 87.5% winning percentage
With bradley playing less than 22 mpg - 59.5% winning percentage
Overall Mavs winning % - 73.1%
a more accurate pic:

among the regular season games shawn played 22 or more mins, when playing east playoff teams (7 times), mavs had 71% winning%, playing east non-playoff team(8 times), 100% winning, playing west playoff teams (11 times), 72% winning, playing west nonplayoff teams (16 times) 100% winning.

during playoff, shawn play 5 games 22 mins or more, all against blazer, with a record of 4-1.

my conclusion: play shawn when playing blazers and rockets.
and heck, play shawn more regardless (opponents east or west, strong or weak).

btw, kg, how did u come up with the number 22 min?

Old 10-31-2003, 04:39 PM   #53
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

SHC, I'm not trying to speak for KG..but, my guess is that he came up with 22 minutes because it's right about his average minutes played last season (since bradley averaged between 21 and 22 minutes per game last year).

SHC, I believe that Shawn's probably had a little more luck than most any other mav at slowing down TD just a bit...and hasn't been bad vs j o'neal/b.miller either.

I'd expect Bradley to have more success vs. sacramento than he has in the past. Divac can give him fits with his little scoop shots and up and unders, but Bradley should be able to log significant PT vs. Miller.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:49 PM   #54
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Top 10 SportsCenter Video you'll probably hate me for...

sniiff... look at this. A thread where bradley detractors get ruthlessly smashed without any of my contributions. It's enough to make an ape proud to be an ape. You guys are the best.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:12 PM   #55
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
i think the reason shawn isnt playing is that they are trying to rest up his knee and use him for spot minutes until its fully healed. i remember nellie saying shawn was only about 75% heading into the regular season.

i dont think its indicative that shawn isnt going to get minutes this year.
I just emailed Cuban and asked him whether Shawn was still recovering from the knee injury or whether Nelson was just choosing to play other players. His response was to the point:

"Still recovering."

Old 10-31-2003, 06:16 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

that'll buy nellie a little more time
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 06:16 PM   #57
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Here's to trusting Mark's answer.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #58
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'll say this much. Mark Cuban is the coolest owner in the world. Whether or not you buy his response (which I do), what other team has an owner that responds to emails posing random questions about the team?

Mark Cuban rules.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:37 PM   #59
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

nellie just talked in 103.3 fm, saying, among others, he wants to play shawn "20-25 mins", mavs need a shot blocker, but his knee rite now made him "play terrible".

edit: i don't worry as much about nellie not playing shawn as about shawn's attitude becoming negative again.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:40 PM   #60
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll say this much. Mark Cuban is the coolest owner in the world. Whether or not you buy his response (which I do), what other team has an owner that responds to emails posing random questions about the team?

Mark Cuban rules.
Amen!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:24 PM   #61
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Mark Cuban rules.
see yeah, that would be really cool, but he NEVER answers any of my emails. not a single one. ever.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #62
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

The worst ones on that video were Robert Pack and Ed OBannon..........both of thoses were absolutely disgusting......

keon clark must have 8 foot arms to have made that dunk

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:07 PM   #63
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think I CAN make an argument for him to get more than 15 minutes per game.

Last year, when Shawn Bradley played 22 or more minutes per game, the Mavericks were 35-5, and they held opponents to 42.2% FG shooting. When Shawn Bradley played fewer than 22 minutes per game, the Mavericks were 25-17 and allowed 45.2% FG shooting.

I think that's a pretty damn good argument to put Shawn in for at least half the game.
This sounds like the old "when Emmit gets 20 carries the Cowboys win" argument. Of course the driving force behind that stat was the fact that Emmit getting 20+ carries usually meant we were running the ball well, winning or both.

By the same token, when Shawn is into the game, he plays more. When Bradley plays well he's a good NBA center. Those rare moments when he's at his best, he's an all-star caliber center. What this stat is probably saying is that the Mavs are a great team when we have a good center, not that we need to play him half the game. I can question Nellie with the best of them but I don't think he's an idiot. If it were that simple he'd play Shaw 38 minutes and we'd win the title.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:24 PM   #64
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
I think I CAN make an argument for him to get more than 15 minutes per game.

This sounds like the old "when Emmit gets 20 carries the Cowboys win" argument. Of course the driving force behind that stat was the fact that Emmit getting 20+ carries usually meant we were running the ball well, winning or both.

By the same token, when Shawn is into the game, he plays more. When Bradley plays well he's a good NBA center. Those rare moments when he's at his best, he's an all-star caliber center. What this stat is probably saying is that the Mavs are a great team when we have a good center, not that we need to play him half the game. I can question Nellie with the best of them but I don't think he's an idiot. If it were that simple he'd play Shaw 38 minutes and we'd win the title.
Big difference there Dirno. When Emmit had a bad game the coach didn't sit him for the next 3 and refuse to play him and then when he finally did play him jerk him if he had one run for less than 5 yards that wasn't a TD in his 1st 5 carries. In other words, you got to give the man a chance and Nellie took that away from Shawn last year. It's not that he didn't play well, it's that Nellie didn't give him a chance to play well. No one can play well when sitting on the bench. Yes some games, Shawn just stinks it up. But often Nellie just pulls Shawn after the 1st mistake or give him a DNP or a 19 second stint or only garbage minutes.

Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 PM   #65
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Top 10 SportsCenter Video you'll probably hate me for...

I'm just saying that the Cowboys winning was not soley tied to Emmit's carries as that stat would indicate. Similarly, the Mavs winning is not soley tied to Shawn's minutes. It's tied to his play. In my opinion he simply does not bring it every night. On those nights there is no reason to play him.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:43 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

sure, you can do the same analysis with more players than just bradley..
oddly enough, the one person you can't do that with that played significant minutes is NVE

what does that tell you?
Old 10-31-2003, 11:46 PM   #67
LRB
Guru

Quote:
I'm just saying that the Cowboys winning was not soley tied to Emmit's carries as that stat would indicate. Similarly, the Mavs winning is not soley tied to Shawn's minutes. It's tied to his play. In my opinion he simply does not bring it every night. On those nights there is no reason to play him.
And Shawn and most players don't always start off great, he needs at least a few minutes to see if he will bring it or not. And just because he doesn't bring it one night doesn't mean that he won't the next night, just as when he does bring it doen't mean he will the next night. I don't have a problem when Nellie gives Shawn a few minutes and if he's ineffective then sitting Shawn. It's when he either doesn't give Shawn a chance or only gives him a minute or two.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:47 PM   #68
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
oddly enough, the one person you can't do that with that played significant minutes is NVE

what does that tell you?

Murphy [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img] NVE

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #69
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:

what does that tell you?
What does Nick have to do with this thread?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:13 AM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:

what does that tell you?
What does Nick have to do with this thread?
It's pretty simple. NVE was the player often used instead of Bradley last year.. Nellie often opted to go small instead of utilizing a PF or a Center in certain situations.... the last time i checked, Bradley was a center..
so, it's pretty easy to see what NVE has to do with this thread
Old 11-01-2003, 12:23 AM   #71
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: giantbenmav
The worst ones on that video were Robert Pack and Ed OBannon..........both of thoses were absolutely disgusting......

Something else that would be a riot is if someone would put the highlights of Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant crying like little girls when they were blown out in an elimination game.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 AM   #72
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Something else that would be a riot is if someone would put the highlights of Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant crying like little girls when they were blown out in an elimination game.
Ouch!
Old 11-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #73
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: giantbenmav

How about video interview highlights of Shaq and Kobe's 7 year pissing match as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]