Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
Dirks Hair

Dirks Hair is on a distinguished road
Default Why not just start Jamison?!

i mean why not?! hes an awesome player and really needs minutes to keep his confidence up...i think delk or najera would be perfect to serve as the sixth man role. mavs need to score as many points to start games off so they can be in ryhtym as an offensive machine. i think fortson should start only againts, yao, duncan, and shaq. nellie is so weird! what do yall think?

go mavs!
Dirks Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2003, 12:23 AM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Why not just start Jamison?!

The issue with starting Jamison is that in order to do so we would need to start Dirk at center. I don't know how much we want to do that. However, when we do start Dirk at C (as we did last night), I see no reason not to start AJ as long as he's hustling and playing well. After last night I think it'd be a good idea for Nellie to throw AJ some kind of a bone.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:28 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
The issue with starting Jamison is that in order to do so we would need to start Dirk at center. I don't know how much we want to do that. However, when we do start Dirk at C (as we did last night), I see no reason not to start AJ as long as he's hustling and playing well. After last night I think it'd be a good idea for Nellie to throw AJ some kind of a bone.
Please don't mention AJ, Nellie, and bone in the same sentence. The last thing we need is AJ in Nellie's doghouse. It's crowded enough in there with Bradley.

AJ will usually get starters minutes even if he doesn't start. The advantage of having him on the bench is that he provides instance offence coming off the bench and has a good chance to start out against the other teams 2nd team players. AJ will eat any team's 2nd team players up 90% of the time or more. We don't need 5 scorers on the floor at once. 4 and a Bradley or Najera will do. Need someone to take the fouls, play tough D and do the dirty work.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree that we need to have some defense and hustle on the floor to start the game. I just think that if AJ's working on that part of his game enough to be respectable it would be kind of a nice thing to give him some starts, especially coming off his first game against his old team in which he barely saw any time (and also if the fifth starter is going to be either him or Delk).
Old 10-31-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

If the choice is Delk or AJ, then it's no choice AJ all the way. At this point, I'd choose AJ over the potato starting as well if I only had those 2 options. But I'm not worried about AJ's psyche, I'd rather this team focus on geling and learning their roles. I also think some easy points against 2nd teamers is better than 4th or 5th option starting.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:02 AM   #6
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Why not just start Jamison?!

It's been said here before. he will get big minutes, and it doesn't matter who starts the game, odds are that AJ will be on the court to end it.
Now he's in a position where he can torch opposing benches and inflate his numbers. That, more than anything, will keep his confidence up.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:24 AM   #7
Dirks Hair

Dirks Hair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now he's in a position where he can torch opposing benches
yea, but its not like its gonna be all the mavs bench and jamison vs the oppsing teams bench. i see it like this:

game start: fin, nash, dirk, AJ, AW

first man off bench: delk with fin, nash, or AJ to the bench

now: delk, AW, dirk, and either fin, nash, or AJ in game

theres nothing to lose only gain! points that is! cause the mavs are always on the offense, delk is an explosive player that can thrive as the sixth man, if its a defensive situation bring in a hustler/ rebounder. so just start AJ already.

GO MAVS!
Dirks Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:59 AM   #8
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

That scheme is not good for Dirk . . . he is a p/f not a center . . . and it shows on defensive zone schemes and man to man D. Najera did a superior job to Dirk manning the middle, and Dirk thrived slidding to the wing on D.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
That scheme is not good for Dirk . . . he is a p/f not a center . . . and it shows on defensive zone schemes and man to man D. Najera did a superior job to Dirk manning the middle, and Dirk thrived slidding to the wing on D.
He is not a PF, is a SF, in the Nelson scheme -when he isn't centre-, that's why Jamison isn't the starting SF. Jamison is the backup of Dirk on the SF.

When Jamison and Dirk are on the court at the same time, Dirk is playing center.

Our PF is Walker. And he is playing almost the entire game. As I saw it in the last game.

My opinion.

Old 10-31-2003, 02:53 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Dirk, Walker & Jamison are all interchangeable parts in this offense. Each does some things better than others, but the greatness of this team is how those 3 forwards can be used in multiple combinations all in an effort to create mismatches.

Jamison can be a starter, but for now they need him to provide instant offense off the bench. I trust Nellie on this and we'll see how well that will work in this stretch of patsy teams.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:00 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Confidence shmonfidence. He looked horrible against golden state. One of the top 5 will have to come off the bench, he should be able to eat up the second stringers, if he can't... Trade him.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:03 PM   #12
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Confidence shmonfidence. He looked horrible against golden state. One of the top 5 will have to come off the bench, he should be able to eat up the second stringers, if he can't... Trade him.
Slightly knee-jerking. Give the dude some time adjust to his new role on this team.

Now I agree if he doesn't produce eventually, then get rid of him, but let's give him a break.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Slightly knee-jerking. Give the dude some time adjust to his new role on this team.

Now I agree if he doesn't produce eventually, then get rid of him, but let's give him a break.
how's that a knee jerk reaction?
Dude didn't say that Jamison couldn't play. He simply said that he played poorly against GS. He didn't say that Jamison can't handle coming off the bench and dominating second stringers, he said that if he can't..'trade him'.

where's the knee jerk reaction?

You need to actually read what he's saying before accusing someone of knee jerking. That crap gets old.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

I stand corrected. I guess the whole trade thing just threw me off. My apologies to dude.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

Ok

i know this sound wrong but what if jamison start instead of finley(yes the ironman, the captain), he seems out of shape and out of it(i know new position, a little injured, bla bla) but since finley is a SF wouln't be AJ the same, mavs can win a player who goest to the post and is really strong, he doesn't shoot that well but you don't need another 3 pointer with 3 is more than enough.

Yes, AJ is not tha fast but neither is MF and AJ is way more younger than Finley

Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Cybertx
Ok

i know this sound wrong but what if jamison start instead of finley(yes the ironman, the captain), he seems out of shape and out of it(i know new position, a little injured, bla bla) but since finley is a SF wouln't be AJ the same, mavs can win a player who goest to the post and is really strong, he doesn't shoot that well but you don't need another 3 pointer with 3 is more than enough.

Yes, AJ is not tha fast but neither is MF and AJ is way more younger than Finley

If AJ is starting at SF instead of Finley, then I'd assume that Delk would be the starting 2 guard.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose that lineup over: nash, fin, aw, dirk and bradley..

Hell, I'm still trying to find out why Nellie started Fin at the SF last game.

Is Fin a SF? I guess he can play some SF, but it's definitely not his best position by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
kingrex
Platinum Member

I think that was just Nellie trying to tinker and finding the right combinations. I agree, finley is strongest at the shooting guard spot. Which leaves the 2 forward spots to Dirk for sure and I'd be okay if they played with either AJ or AW at small forward to start.

Personally, I would prefer Jamison off the bench as the 6th man just as Nellie mentioned at the beginnin of the season. In Nellie we trust.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:12 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately finley couldn't make his own shot nearly like jamison can. That's one of the reasons that nellie wants him off the bench. Like nick last year he can just about get his shot off against anyone.

Finley as we all know doesn't have the low-post moves or the handles to take on that chore. It looks like fin really needs to practice his jump-shot a WHOLE lot this year as that will be most of his offense.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 10-31-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
I stand corrected. I guess the whole trade thing just threw me off. My apologies to dude.

Most graciously provided and accepted with no lingering ugly malice....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 04:20 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Why not start Jamison? Because starting him would put Dirk out of postion and even Jamison for that matter. You guys are really putting to much into one game. The Lakers game Jamison played fine. THe Mavs haven't played up to there potential yet. It will come. They have to find each other. It's going to come just be patient.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:46 PM   #21
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

I don't think anybody got what i mean.

Look nash is your PG that man you can't replace Dirk any position except SG and PG.

Now here start becoming interesting you can use DN at C but it's not a good pos. for DN since it's too physical for DN(it means less minutes in court) and DN doesn't have that much of post players against big centers.

If you use AW you have less height but more contact and you can get AW out of the post and the center will have to follow him, which opens a big space to be used like in the lakers game.

DN can play a PW he has the height and it plays well that pos. now if you put it like a SF he is the best, but like a PW he does the same and is faster than any other PW in the league.

DN can play SF or PW and bring JH or EN to play PW or SF and play AW in a SG.

I think AW will be right now better SG than MF, Finley is not well he has health problems and is too old to keep with youngers SG.

Delk is ok like a replace SG but it's not that good like NV was.

AJ is perfect to shoot in the FG area and he can dunk and he rebuond pretty well, since mavs will be playing small it's good that your SG can fight the boards.

The reality it's Mavs only has 1 natural SG and that is MF but if he is not healthy and not scoring you have to bench him.

TD and TB will be crushed in that pos. against bigger SG like TM, KB, etc.

If you have a player that can make 20 ppg in the bench and one of you starters is 5 of 16 FG, 1 of 3pts you have to bench him, at least until your works well and you can give him a chance.

right now mavs needs points, since they can't defend against big teams they need to score .

Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:52 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

I'm pretty much sure that it's a bad idea to have Walker at SG.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #23
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I'm pretty much sure that it's a bad idea to have Walker at SG.
Gee, ya think? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote