Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result be?
Mavs by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs by 1-9 3 75.00%
Wolves by 1-9 0 0%
Wolves by 10-19 0 0%
Wolves by 20+ 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying he's not a nice player-- I'm just saying it's silly to talk about him

1) We could not have gotten him. We had no cap space. We had a 9.3 million dollar MLE. Wood got 14 million. We literally couldn't have afforded him unless he took a discount to come here and there's zero evidence he would have, particularly with Houston making a bigger offer at the beginning of FA. You could say that we'd have done an SnT, but again, it's hard to match salaries, BAE is really hard to match, and it would probably take some positive assets like picks, which we just don't have. In the meantime, Wood got a fat offer sheet within an hour of free-agency being opened and he was a UFA, meaning he'd have probably just signed that offer sheet anyway. We could not have gotten him without moving heaven and earth and...

2) We had more pressing needs with four centers on the roster (KP, Boban, Powell, Kleber) one of whom was getting the max and a decent PF lineup (DFS, Johnson, Kleber)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-18-2020 at 11:09 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm not saying he's not a nice player-- I'm just saying it's silly to talk about him

1) We could not have gotten him. We had no cap space. We had a 9.3 million dollar MLE. Wood got 14 million. We literally couldn't have afforded him unless he took a discount to come here and there's zero evidence he would have, particularly with Houston making a bigger offer at the beginning of FA. You could say that we'd have done an SnT, but again, it's hard to match salaries, BAE is really hard to match, and it would probably take some positive assets like picks, which we just don't have. In the meantime, Wood got a fat offer sheet within an hour of free-agency being opened and he was a UFA, meaning he'd have probably just signed that offer sheet anyway. We could not have gotten him without moving heaven and earth and...

2) We had more pressing needs with four centers on the roster (KP, Boban, Powell, Kleber) one of whom was getting the max and a decent PF lineup (DFS, Johnson, Kleber)
Man you edited that a lot, lol. I don't think it was silly to talk about him. I AM going to say that a SNT was possible. We can wonder if salaries would be hard to match but if you are offering the same amount Hou offered I think it would at least make a little sense for him to consider us since we are closer to competing. I don't consider his 13mil a fat payday given what he can do. Who knows if they even reached out about him to anyone. Didn't Delon just go to Detroit and they start him in preseason games? There is a large chunk of the salary match to the team Wood left.

We do have 4 or 5 centers, and only 1 of which should be played as a starter. KP is a stud and behind him everyone drops off the face of the earth in comparison. Maxi is solid but I like him at the 4 more often because he can defend well away from the paint. I would have happily moved any of them and only been slightly upset about Maxi.

I mean, I all but guaranteed Wood was going to be a stud many months ago, and after 1 preseason showing I think it's a lock . MBT didn't listen and I have no idea why they aren't scouring this site for hot takes. That's on them.

I'd like to close this with they missed 2 guys I wanted and half the damn city can't watch the games legally. weak rant end/

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-18-2020 at 11:31 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I mean in theory we could have done a SNT, but

1) You'd have to give Detroit something they'd want (young talent, picks, etc. and can't just give them Powell's albatross)
2) You'd have to find a third team that also gets something they want to facilitate (BYC)
3) In the meantime Wood just takes 14 million from Houston unless
4) You offer him way more than 14million
5) which means he's taking up a huge chunk of the cap and
6) the trade is less likely to happen because then Detroit has to take more salary and the third team as well. Costs rise and we don't have the contracts to make that work.
7) We don't have a lot to offer in terms of picks, cash, talent in the first place.
8) Even if 1-7 are possible, then we end up with less talent and fewer trade assets, which I'm not sure is worth it.

Even an SnT for Wood is crazy.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-18-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean in theory we could have done a SNT, but

1) You'd have to give Detroit something they'd want (young talent, picks, etc. and can't just give them Powell's albatross)
2) You'd have to find a third team that also gets something they want to facilitate (BYC)
3) In the meantime Wood just takes 14 million from Houston unless
4) You offer him way more than 14million
5) which means he's taking up a huge chunk of the cap and
6) the trade is less likely to happen because then Detroit has to take more salary and the third team as well. Costs rise and we don't have the contracts to make that work.
7) We don't have a lot to offer in terms of picks, cash, talent in the first place.
8) Even if 1-7 are possible, then we end up with less talent and fewer trade assets, which I'm not sure is worth it.

Even an SnT for Wood is crazy.
Fair enough. Ill leave it at in theory.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Anybody else think that this has gone on long enough with Luka and he needs to dial it back for once?

Luka Doncic had two technical fouls in three games
With all due respect to the leading man in Dallas, but Luka needs to get it together. His constant chatter and whining ro referees bled over into what they deemed disrespect in the final preseason game where he picked up his second technical foul.

That’s just not needed. He should tighten the emotion up, leave the complaining to coach Rick Carlisle and the front office, and try getting back on defense once in a while.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Anybody else think that this has gone on long enough with Luka and he needs to dial it back for once?

Luka Doncic had two technical fouls in three games
With all due respect to the leading man in Dallas, but Luka needs to get it together. His constant chatter and whining ro referees bled over into what they deemed disrespect in the final preseason game where he picked up his second technical foul.

That’s just not needed. He should tighten the emotion up, leave the complaining to coach Rick Carlisle and the front office, and try getting back on defense once in a while.
I think its a problem and hopefully he finds a balance where he doesn't have to shit it down completely and doesn't flip out every no call.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think its a problem and hopefully he finds a balance where he doesn't have to shit it down completely and doesn't flip out every no call.
I think he's gotten lucky as the wonderboy and he has such a fun and dynamic game, but even if he doesn't get techs, the fans of other teams are going to lose their patience with him.

If he can settle in, he can honestly be the face of the NBA, but not if he complains at every single call.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I think he's gotten lucky as the wonderboy and he has such a fun and dynamic game, but even if he doesn't get techs, the fans of other teams are going to lose their patience with him.

If he can settle in, he can honestly be the face of the NBA, but not if he complains at every single call.
Nobody likes a complainer. Well an over complainer at least. When he misses defensive assignments because he's back bitching about a call is what really annoys me.

I think he will settle in at some point.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:10 PM   #9
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
When he misses defensive assignments because he's back bitching about a call is what really annoys me.
Yeah this - it's one thing to complain, it's another to let that distract you from getting the job done. Play on and complain later if you want. I think the best thing for him would be to get mandated by Rick to not complain at all for the first half of the year. I don't think anything short of Rick telling him to can it will do this.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Lebron complains on every single call, and he's been the face of the NBA for well over decade.

I don't like the complaining either, but I think we're overblowing the effect that it will have on his perception or his career. I mean, every single player does it. Nobody complained more than Duncan, and I've never once heard anyone call him out on it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Lebron complains on every single call, and he's been the face of the NBA for well over decade.

I don't like the complaining either, but I think we're overblowing the effect that it will have on his perception or his career. I mean, every single player does it. Nobody complained more than Duncan, and I've never once heard anyone call him out on it.
I was going to mention Duncan....but going the other way. I don't know anyone outside of San Antonio who didnt see his incessant whining as extreme.ely annoying. A great PF is first thing you think of but a terrible whiner is the second.