Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-12-2002, 01:34 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Sean Deveney, The Sporting News.

HOW do I get to be a sportswriter? SERIOUSLY. I like Fin as much as the next guy, but I'm not so sure that Senor Deveney has watched a lot of basketball in the last three years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/columns/...valuablem.html
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

ehhh Who Cares. It's nice to know each individual player has his own "This guy rocks!" Faction. Props to athe excellent and circumstantially somewhat underappreciated guard: Michael Finley. We love you Fin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I love Finley also, and that is still a ludicrous quote. This guy just doesn't watch much basketball.

I'm not saying Mike's a terrible defender. I'm just saying that defense has never been his calling card. And anyone who has followed his career would know that.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:59 PM   #4
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Yah I'm not sure where he got that either.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:04 PM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

If Finley can continue to play the 2 most of the time, he will do well defensively. His defensive liability is guarding SF that are usually a bit taller and heaview. I think this is the common sentiment amoung NBA coaches.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:02 PM   #6
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Is Deveney a crackhead?
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:22 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember saying once on this board that 'Sean Deveney' sounded like a stage name for some punk-ass actor that we should all admire on the Emmys red carpet being interviewed by Joan Rivers or something. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2002, 06:32 PM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< If Finley can continue to play the 2 most of the time, he will do well defensively. >>

Agreed. But there is a difference between doing 'well' and being 'one of the best'--which is why Deveney looks so stupid saying this. He picks a few of Mike's quotes about encouraging defense and apparently ignored all the others not only from his coaches but from Finley himself, that Finley has had to put in the work to improve defensively just like everyone else.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

check out this gem from deveney...

Link

midway through the page you'll find:

As someone who puts a lot of faith in statistics, I'd take Dirk Nowitzki over Michael Finley, and it's not even close in my book.

Benton McCune

*** Ben: Dump the stats, man. Nowitzki is, A) a great shooter; B) a good ballhandler; C) an average rebounder; and D) an absolutely horrible defender.

His offensive contributions obviously outweigh his defensive liability, but that liability has been pretty costly in the past. He is one of the best scorers in the league, but one of the worst defeensive starters in the league If this team is going to advance its cause in the postseason, it'll need Finley to be on top of his game.

why in the name of all that is holy to people still think dirk is a &quot;horrible defender?&quot; &quot;one of the worst defensive starters in the league?&quot; that was like 3 years ago, man. and &quot;average rebounder?&quot; I guess nightly double-doubles are &quot;average.&quot; get a clue, deveney.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:22 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< check out this gem from deveney...

Link

midway through the page you'll find:

As someone who puts a lot of faith in statistics, I'd take Dirk Nowitzki over Michael Finley, and it's not even close in my book.

Benton McCune

*** Ben: Dump the stats, man. Nowitzki is, A) a great shooter; B) a good ballhandler; C) an average rebounder; and D) an absolutely horrible defender.

His offensive contributions obviously outweigh his defensive liability, but that liability has been pretty costly in the past. He is one of the best scorers in the league, but one of the worst defeensive starters in the league If this team is going to advance its cause in the postseason, it'll need Finley to be on top of his game.

why in the name of all that is holy to people still think dirk is a &quot;horrible defender?&quot; &quot;one of the worst defensive starters in the league?&quot; that was like 3 years ago, man. and &quot;average rebounder?&quot; I guess nightly double-doubles are &quot;average.&quot; get a clue, deveney.
>>

I wouldn't get too riled about it. Anyone who says that fin is one of the best defensive guards in the game doesn't have much credibility. But then again a lot of the eastern media doesn't have a lot of credibility, (e.g. NYTimes)...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #11
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

dude, with all due respect, get a clue about these things. the NYtimes has no credibility? c'mon.

i think you're confusing the times with the NYPost...
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Trade rumors from the NY press have no credibility, no matter what paper they're printed in.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:29 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< dude, with all due respect, get a clue about these things. the NYtimes has no credibility? c'mon.

i think you're confusing the times with the NYPost...
>>

I'm Sorry NYMavsFan, but if you have been reading the NYTimes editorial section you would agree with me. I'm sorry I let my politics mix with my sports, but they get no respect from myself. I'd go with the WashingtonPost anyday..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote