Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harrington Up for Grabs

Where will Al Harrington end up? What is your take (A minor distraction from the "P-Pod is waived" thread)?

New agent opens options for Atlanta's Harrington
CLIFF BRUNT
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - Al Harrington's new agent said he is willing to listen to offers from all teams, making what looked like a done deal for the Indiana Pacers to acquire the free agent now seem uncertain.

The Atlanta forward, who had played six years for the Pacers, dumped agent Andy Miller and chose Arn Tellem of Wasserman Media Group. Tellem, a heavy hitter who also represents Houston's Tracy McGrady and Memphis' Pau Gasol, will officially become Harrington's agent on Monday.

"We will explore the entire range of options available to Al," Tellem said. "We consider every team in the mix until there is a deal."

Harrington is considered the top remaining free agent on the market. He averaged 18.6 points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Hawks last season.

The Pacers have made numerous offseason moves and have said they would like Harrington to play a key role in their change to a sleeker, faster-paced style.

But Golden State and Denver have reportedly expressed renewed interest in recent weeks.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh and president Larry Bird did not immediately respond to phone messages for comment.

Tellem is looking forward to representing the versatile 26-year-old.

"Al is going to be an extremely valuable addition wherever he lands," Tellem said. "He has already cemented himself as one of the NBA's up-and-coming young stars."

Tellem said Harrington is much like Utah's Andrei Kirilenko - someone who can play multiple positions and is effective on both ends of the court.

Harrington played two seasons with the Hawks after six years with the Pacers and has family members who never left Indianapolis.

The Pacers have worked with Tellem before, as he's the agent who worked out Jermaine O'Neal's seven-year, $126 million deal in 2003. He also was Reggie Miller's agent.

Speed is not Tellem's concern, though he'd like to give his client enough time to get comfortable in his new surroundings.

"The quality of the deal is the most important element," he said. "We will review and exhaust all meaningful options until a fair deal is reached. A lot hinges on Atlanta, but the period ranges from very soon to a couple of weeks or more."
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

How much is Al goin' for anyway?
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I think Indiana was offering a $7.5 mill trade exception to Atlanta, but something went wrong with the deal. Not sure if that means he is looking for a higher 2006-07 salary.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I still think he'll go to Indy.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Man, Indy will be.... pretty much loaded if that goes down.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Harrington is a nice little player. He's definitely a poor man's Richard Jefferson and a talented little player. Not what we need with Howard around, but still a decent small forward with a little of everything.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

nvm

Last edited by Drbio; 08-09-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Harrington is a nice little player. He's definitely a poor man's Richard Jefferson and a talented little player. Not what we need with Howard around, but still a decent small forward with a little of everything.
Richard Jefferson is a poor man's Richard Jefferson. I cant stand him. Al can play the 4, and would be a nice pick-up for anyone. A little to expensive for us though.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

RJ >>> Al Harrington

Harrington is solid, but not as good as RJ.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-09-2006, 02:21 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

20 points, 7rebounds, 4assists, on 49% Fg, 32% on three, and 81% on FTs...that sounds like a solid player to me, samoan.

19points, 7rebounds, 3assists, on 45% FG, 35% on three, and 70% on FTs for Harrington last year...

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-09-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 AM   #11
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's much of a significant difference between RJ and Al stats wise that can determine which is the more talented player.. that being said.. RJ showed this year (and when K-Mart was still in town) that he isn't a lot more than a pretty good third banana player. When Kidd was hurt at the beginning of the season a couple of years ago, he put up some pretty nice numbers, but was inefficient as hell. That's telltale enough for me to realize that the guy needs to be surrounded by stars to be an effective player on a championship level team.

Al Harrington, on the other hand, has played with teams that are far inferior to most of the Nets squads that RJ has had, and been able to put up just about the same numbers whilst being the 2nd (or at the very worst, 2a) option and is much better on the block, and seems like a much hungrier player to me. Maybe it's because he wants to get **paid** this year, but he seems to me like he's a guy with an incredible will to win, that I'd take on my team anyday. He's unselfish almost to a fault, but is also able to take over a game without freezing out his team mates.

I think Harrington is the better player at this stage in both of their careers. I'm not sure if he's ever going to be THE MAN wherever he plays, but he's certainly a very skilled, team-oriented player, and I'd love to see him in a Mavs uni if we could put him to good enough use. There aren't enough minutes here for him (because he's a little too big to play the 2 and probably wouldn't take any minutes from Josh, although I feel like Al would be the starter over Josh if I were coaching). If he would be happy playing 22-25 minutes a game as the backup for Josh and Dirk at the 3 and 4, I'd ship out Stack and lots of picks to get him. Doesn't look like that's a viable option though.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
20 points, 7rebounds, 4assists, on 49% Fg, 32% on three, and 81% on FTs...that sounds like a solid player to me, samoan.

19points, 7rebounds, 3assists, on 45% FG, 35% on three, and 70% on FTs for Harrington last year...
Right. RJ is a very solid player. Al is too, but not as good. Plus, I think RJ can be a great go to player when needed, while Al is just a side kick for the go to player.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

go to Indy where they really want you, young man.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

As a former Atlanta resident who went to more than a few Hawks games (to see the opponents), I will tell you that Al Harrington is soooooo overrated. he is not really that good and whoever signs him will be extremely dissapointed.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

different playing styles

al's post game >>>>> rj

rj's transition game >>>>> al

but al just needs tyrone lue to feed him the ball in the post
while rj needs jason kidd to lead the fast break =]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
As a former Atlanta resident who went to more than a few Hawks games (to see the opponents), I will tell you that Al Harrington is soooooo overrated. he is not really that good and whoever signs him will be extremely dissapointed.
Indiana has seen him play firsthand and they seem to really want him. Are you saying that they are incredibly dumb?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Indiana has seen him play firsthand and they seem to really want him. Are you saying that they are incredibly dumb?

Well they wanted Quisy didnt they....
Old 08-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

Quote:

With Jason Kidd. Besides that's just my opinion, RJ just doesnt seem as good of a player as people think.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #19
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Not a poor mans Richard Jefferson, a mini Richard Jefferson

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah-vit-ski
Not a poor mans Richard Jefferson, a mini Richard Jefferson
Harrington 6'9" 245
Jefferson 6'7" 225

?!?!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac
Man, Indy will be.... pretty much loaded if that goes down.

Indy is always loaded, they just never go anywhere with it.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Well they wanted Quisy didnt they....
That's pretty harsh, especially directed towards a former Mav.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Indy is always loaded, they just never go anywhere with it.
Indy is always loaded when the season starts. Then they are plagued like no other team (save Houston last year) with injuries, or in the case of 04-05, suspensions. At least now Artest isn't around to screw up their season. Still, even if they grab Harrington, I have my doubts about how far they can go. They still have a roster full of injury-prone players.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

If Indy gets Harrington, they'll have a solid team. I still don't see them beating Detroit or Miami, maybe not even the Cavs.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #25
craggmac
Golden Member

Quote:
If Indy gets Harrington, they'll have a solid team. I still don't see them beating Detroit or Miami, maybe not even the Cavs.
I think, with the addition of a really awsome point gard, one that can really feed Bron, NO One will stop the Calvs in the East. That or another clutch shooter.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #26
craggmac
Golden Member

Hey, Imagine Al playing for the Cavs!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #27
nah-vit-ski

nah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura aboutnah-vit-ski has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Harrington 6'9" 245
Jefferson 6'7" 225

?!?!

I meant mini as in skills, not size. He's to good to be a poors man's RJ, but mini is the perfect word.

- Conrad Burns
nah-vit-ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #28
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
yes. Indiana is a poorly run franchise.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac
I think, with the addition of a really awsome point gard, one that can really feed Bron, NO One will stop the Calvs in the East. That or another clutch shooter.
I agree, but they don't have that yet. And AI going to the Cavs would be interesting, but both him and Lebron wouldn't be satisfied with the amount of touches they'd get.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
yes. Indiana is a poorly run franchise.
I couldn't disagree more. I think Bird is easily a top-level GM, and Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the game. The only dumb thing they ever did was holding onto Artest for so long, and can you really blame them? I mean, he WAS Defensive Player of the Year, and arguably their best player in their 61-win season.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #31
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that is kind of awry about Indiana's management is that JO has such a huge contract.. it restricts them quite a bit on the free agent market.. but they'd be MUCH worse off without him than with him. How can they be poorly run if they've had a legitimate shot at leading the league in wins EVERY season? Carlisle is the best defensive coach in the league and really gets alot out of some pretty limited rosters (due to injuries, suspensions, etc). I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see them win the East if they get Harrington, because they are such a hard-working defensive club.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 AM   #32
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Harrington deal up to Pacers

By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The Hawks could finally complete their long-anticipated sign-and-trade for Al Harrington Monday if the Indiana Pacers agree to the deal, a person familiar with the situation said Sunday.

The Hawks have agreed to sign Harrington to a six-year, $57 million deal and then send him and third-year center John Edwards to the Pacers for a future first-round draft pick, the person said.

Gone from the deal is the $3 million in cash the Hawks were seeking in addition to the draft pick before Harrington fired his agent.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight could not be reached for comment.

The Pacers have a $7.5 million trade exception they acquired last month in a sign-and-trade deal with New Orleans for Peja Stojakovic that allows them to complete the deal. The Hawks don't want to take back lengthy contracts that would put a stranglehold on the salary cap flexibility they've built up the past three years.

If the Pacers decline to complete the deal Monday, Harrington's list of options will grow at the same time Arn Tellem officially becomes his recognized agent. League rules stipulate a 15-day period between the time a player fires one agent and hires another.

As many as six other teams are waiting in the wings if the Hawks and Pacers can't complete the deal. The options for the Hawks and Harrington would multiply in that scenario, though the Hawks would have to agree to take players in return in order for any sign-and-trade deal not involving the Pacers. Those options include Harrington taking something other than a five- or six-year contract, perhaps something as short as three years, in order to make a deal work.

Another option that has remained a possibility since the free-agent negotiating period began July 1 is a multiple-team deal where Harrington gets the lucrative, long-term contract he desires and the Hawks maintain their salary flexibility by not taking on an unwanted contract. But that option requires at least one more team, and maybe more, to become reality.

The completion of the Harrington deal will allow the Hawks to finally sign Lorenzen Wright to the two-year, $6 million deal the former Hawks player and free agent center has agreed to sign.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote