Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Cuban hiring Dan Rather to investigate the NBA?

Looks like it to me from his blog entry. Funny since Dan Rather's career of uncovering the "truth" is now a national joke... but then again, so now is Mark Cuban. Fitting pairing...

Right is its own defense
Posted Jun 19, 2006, 3:05 PM ET

Sorry for the lack of posts recently. Laptop died in Miami and sitting in an internet cafe didnt appeal to me.

I have this saying that Right is its own Defense. I actually got it off a tshirt i bought about 20 years ago.

In this day and age, every one wants to categorize you and then make you defend yourself.

Im <fill in the blank> owner of the Dallas Mavericks. How can I be <fill in the blank> Why cant I be like <fill in the blank>

We are starting a website that focuses on uncovering corporate crime. I have every intention of trading on the information uncover, and disclosing exactly what i do. The ultimate transparency.
A journalism professor was quoted as “not being able to get his mind around it ” Others have criticized me for having a good idea but “ruining” it by trading on the information.

HDNet is talking to Dan Rather and we hope to do a deal where he produces a show that uncovers news. Information with a payoff. Some people have already decided that working with Dan alone defines positions we will take in our programming. Of course we have a 5 year history of news features already with World Report, but why let that get in the way.

For some reason the thousands of people send me emails and many others are writing stories about any or all of these things. Its as if they expect something to change. That they have a lock and key on what is right.

Well lets be clear. Right is its own defense. Im going to do what I think is right. Period end of story.

You may not like that i want the officiating in the NBA to get better. I think its the right thing to do.

You may not like that I will trade on information we uncover and then publish it. I think reporting what we find is better than not reporting it. If we can uncover fraud. Thats a good thing. That profiting on the information we find is the smart thing to do. It beats the hell out of trying to remake the site every year to maximize advertising or subscriptions. It changes the newsenomics, which need to be changed.

You may think you know what Dan Rather and HDNet will do together. But you dont. You have no idea. I will tell you that there wont be any corporate considerations. No earnings per share issues. No worries about advertisers and what they might think.

Right is its own defense.

-----------------------------

Right is its own defense.
hmmm... I think those was Dan Rather's last words before getting canned from CBS.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Flashman

Flashman is on a distinguished road

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060620/..._cbs_rather_21

He left CBS officially now. They also mention him weighing an offer to do a weekly show at the "tiny" HDNet.

Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Rather's blatant attempt to swing the election to the Democrats by reporting forged documents as if they were real is right in line with Mark Cuban's progressive left-wing ideoligy. It sounds like Cuban's hired his attack dog. Watch out Republicans! Watch out american soldiers! Watch out capitalism! Watch out David Stern!

----------------------------------------

NEW YORK (Reuters) - CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves said on Wednesday he was sorry about the bitter departure of newsman Dan Rather, who left the broadcaster after protracted talks to renew his contract fell apart.

Rather left CBS News on Monday, capping a distinguished 44-year career as senior statesman of the U.S. news media.

But despite his longstanding role as the face of the CBS newscast, media watchers said Rather appeared to have been slowly pushed off the air since a reporting scandal over President George W. Bush's military record in 2004.

"I'm sorry it ended the way it did," Moonves told executives at a PricewaterhouseCoopers media event.

"There was no bigger role for him to play anymore," Moonves said. "He had a very distinguished career. I'm sorry he's leaving us."

Reports of CBS and Rather failing to reach an agreement to renew his contract before a November expiration were first leaked to the Washington Post last week.

"It just isn't in me to sit around doing nothing," Rather said this week.

Rather, 74, had presided over the daily CBS evening news for 24 years. He stepped down as anchor in March 2005 and has since worked for the weekly news program "60 Minutes".

Moonves said that after canceling the "60 Minutes II" midweek program, air time became scarce for special reports at the network.

Rather's career spanned historic milestones such as his coverage of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the Watergate scandal that brought down President Richard Nixon in 1974.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Where's your evidence that Cuban is a "progressive left-winger?" The guy actually understands economics, so I find it hard to believe that he's a progressive left anything. A Democrat in the general sense? Certainly possible.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Where's your evidence that Cuban is a "progressive left-winger?" The guy actually understands economics, so I find it hard to believe that he's a progressive left anything. A Democrat in the general sense? Certainly possible.
To the best of my knowledge, Cuban is a libertarian, or at least a person with strong libertarian tendencies.

here we go....from Wikpedia:

Cuban is an admirer of the novel The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and its objectivist philosophy. He was quoted in Slate as saying, "The Fountainhead was incredibly motivating to me. It encouraged me to think as an individual, take risks to reach my goals, and responsibility for my successes and failures. I loved it. I don't know how many times I have read it, but it got to a point where I had to stop because I would get too fired up."

He considers himself libertarian, and treats his relationships to the major political parties pragmatically, but chooses not to become directly involved with them.

He has not yet established a major philanthropic effort, but after 9/11 founded the Fallen Patriot Fund.

Last edited by alexamenos; 06-22-2006 at 10:38 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban from what I have seen is as "middle of the road" as they come. He is middle of the road, and really looks at issues from his own personal perspective and his version of right.

This usually PO's both sides, which is where he really want to be anyway.

I don't think it is good to be "middle of the road", but there is evidence that Cuban pretty well stays very near there.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If he liked The Fountainhead then there's no way he's any sort of progressive.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

If Cuban is thinking he can beat David Stern by going up against him, he is dead wrong and will suffer more heartbreak than good. Cuban needs to do a 180 degree turn and try to beat Stern at his own game. Give him teams that are so good and so marketable that Stern has no choice but to want these teams to represent the NBA... As ugly as this sounds Cuban has to make the Dallas Mavericks into basketball's Yankees, and it will be a hard task given the fact that the Lakers already hold that mantle.

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 06-22-2006 at 05:06 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
sly
Banned

sly can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Rather's blatant attempt to swing the election to the Democrats by reporting forged documents as if they were real is right in line with Mark Cuban's progressive left-wing ideoligy. It sounds like Cuban's hired his attack dog.
(plop).

That was your credibility dropping into the toilet.

Did you suck those words right out of Karl Rove's butt? You're great with the talking points!

Dude, nobody buys that shit anymore. That's so four years ago.

FEAR! TERRORISTS! MUSHROOM COULDS! GAYS! SATAN! DEMOCRATS!

Go read the Bible or something, and this time UNDERSTAND IT.

Last edited by sly; 06-22-2006 at 06:44 PM.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

nobody believes what? That the documents were forged? That Dan Rather reported them as though they were true? That Cuban hired Dan Rather?

What exactly are you talking about?

What about the Bible, of all things, have I misrepresented? Are you OK? You sound drunk. Maybe stupid.

Last edited by madape; 06-22-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
sly
Banned

sly can only hope to improve

Quote:
Well they are the ones that have to fix the economy that Republicans break so he's probably a Democrat.

However, he is very rich so he could be a Republican. That's all Republicans care about. Money, Jesus, and War.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Madape is starting to sound like a spittle-spewing Al Gore.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he liked The Fountainhead then there's no way he's any sort of progressive.
Hell Ayn Rand maybe the major influence on my politics AND life. And I'm damn sure not some sort of progressive. What a crock of crapola, probably from someone who's never read it or understands it.

You wanna talk politics you are in the wrong forum (and way over your head) budda'. (Sly that is).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-22-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Well they are the ones that have to fix the economy that Republicans break so he's probably a Democrat.

However, he is very rich so he could be a Republican. That's all Republicans care about. Money, Jesus, and War.
And all sly cares about is shtupping his momma.