Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default Congrats for stellar series

While the series technically isn't over--for all practical purposes--its over.

I hate to be the one to say I told you so to be my fellow Spurs fans.

But this is exactly what I feared.

This stems from the last day of the season. Finley shot that last shot against the Hornets. Earlier that night the Mavs had defeated the Rockets.

Spurs fans were more than a little estatic. They had secured home court for the first round. They were spared of having to travel to the Rose Garden to watch the series against the Blazers.

But lost somewhere admid all of the euphoria...

"Are you guys nuts or something?!"

To be honest, I didn't call anyone nuts. Rather, I simply repeated the time-worn adage: Be careful what you wish for.

Spurs fans wished for a rematch against the Mavs--who have an incredible home record--incredible fans--Dirk and company, who were playing stellar basketball and was the hottest team in the league according to our own Pop.

As much as I hate to admit this-many Spurs fans were looking past the Mavs at round two. Many people I know did not buy tickets to round one games because they were saving their money for better seats in round two.

I recall one such conversation with a friend. He was saving his money for round two.

I told him there may not be a round two with the Mavs as our round one opponent. He looked at me with an expression of disbelief.

So as a consequence, people in SA right now are dazed. This may not hurt as much as the 2006 series--but it sure does sting like hell.

As for me...

When the series is over, I turn my shirt inside out and bring out a Dirk jersey. It would be great for a Texas team to be in the middle of this thing in June.

And it would be great to see Dirk win a ring after all of his berating at the hands of Avery Johnson.

I know this series ain't technically over.

I will be watching on Monday and root like hell for my Spurs.

But I have already accepted the fate that awaits.

And in doing so, I say to my Mav friends worldwide.

Congrats for your team--job well done.

Go Spurs...

But afterwards...

Go Mavs...

Last edited by Big Shot Rob; 04-26-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Last ditch jinx attempt?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-26-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

There's still work to do, BSR. There's still work to do.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

No matter the outcome this has been a great series. I have to say it is nice to see a Spurs fan no scratch that an NBA fan in general with some real class I salute you sir.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in San Antonio on the last day of the regular season, about 9 out of 10 callers that made it onto air during their sports talk radio show wanted to play Dallas in the first round. Be careful what you wish for.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

to be honest - the spurs probably would have lost to portland or NO as well - in fact I think of the three they match up best with Dallas. without ginobili they are just not really a 3 seed - more like a 9 or 10 seed....
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

What happened the last time we were up two games in a playoff series?

Yeah, you remember.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Do Spurs fans really not realize/believe that their team lost the last time these two met in the playoffs?

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-26-2009 at 11:24 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
What happened the last time we were up two games in a playoff series?

Yeah, you remember.
Jerk. Why would you do that?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
Jerk. Why would you do that?
Because this series is not over...
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It ain't over until it's over.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

I hope it'll be over on Tuesday night
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs were never in the over race to begin with.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Mavs were up 3-1 on the Spurs in '06 and that series went to OT in game 7. This series may be very far from over.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
When I was in San Antonio on the last day of the regular season, about 9 out of 10 callers that made it onto air during their sports talk radio show wanted to play Dallas in the first round. Be careful what you wish for.
Of course Mavs fans, like myself, were asking for the Spurs. Game(s) are still to be played.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I will give you some Rep for this post Spurs fan- after this series is over...
Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

BSR has long been one of my favorites. I just wish there were a few more Mavs fans on this board that were as intelligent as he....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
rscowboys

rscowboys is on a distinguished road

Its 3-1 but its not over. Suns came back and beat the Lakers in 06 after they were in a 3-1 hole. I really want to see the mavs close this series out in S.A and take care of business on the road. That would be huge for their confidence and give them some rest for the second round. We haven't been out of the first round since 2006...3 years.We need this...
rscowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

The Spurs season was over when Manu went down. Even with a healthy manu we weren't going to beat the lakers so this has been a lost season. I agree with poster who stated that we would have lost to Port or NO. We just haven't played very well this year. This season is over next week. Good. In hindsight we should have missed the playoffs all together so we had the possibility of landing a lottery pick...... No offense to any other teams but no one is going to beat LA this year..
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin View Post
The Spurs season was over when Manu went down. Even with a healthy manu we weren't going to beat the lakers so this has been a lost season. I agree with poster who stated that we would have lost to Port or NO. We just haven't played very well this year. This season is over next week. Good. In hindsight we should have missed the playoffs all together so we had the possibility of landing a lottery pick...... No offense to any other teams but no one is going to beat LA this year..
hmmmm, where have I heard that before...?

And I think Cleveland would disagree with your prediction
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
to be honest - the spurs probably would have lost to portland or NO as well - in fact I think of the three they match up best with Dallas. without ginobili they are just not really a 3 seed - more like a 9 or 10 seed....
The spurs were without Ginobili for 41 games and was on a pace of winning 50 games. They are about as good as we are but we are on a hot streak. We are playing more like a 3 seed right now.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 04-28-2009 at 09:51 AM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

IF we beat the spurs, who would we play in round 2 ?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Wouldn't it be Denver?
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
IF we beat the spurs, who would we play in round 2 ?
Winner of the New Orleans vs. Denver series.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
Winner of the New Orleans vs. Denver series.
Are you trying to imply that New Orleans is gonna pull out the win?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

BSR is a class act, he's been gone for a while but he's a quality post. Let's hope you're right, BSR.....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #27
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

This thread needs to die!!! If San Antonio wallops Dallas tonight, I will begin to get that queasy feeling again....

Tags
premature ejaculation