Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-21-2004, 02:49 PM   #41
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:F*** the NBA

I think people are missing the most important fact here. The guy in the blue shirt threw the cup of beer at Artest. He should be arrested for assault.

Artest entered the stands and punched an innocent guy who was sitting near the moron in the blue shirt. Artest should have to pay that guy millions.

Jackson punched this poor kid as soon as he could get there. Again...he was just sitting next to the moron who threw the beer in the first place. Jackson should pay HUGE to that poor kid.

An old lady got run over by Detroit players as a couple of them entered the first couple rows of the stands. That woman should be rich by the end of the day.

O'neal is a coward. So is Artest and Jackson.

Artest should be banned for a period no less than the rest of the year.

Jackson should get at least 30 games.

O'Neal should get at least 30 games.

The Pacers should be made to play with those holes in their roster the rest of the year.

Ben Wallace should get at least 5 games.

Artest should get an additional 5 games after his major suspension for the flagrant foul.

All of the players in volved should be fined heavily.

All fans involved should be arrested, banned from any sports venue and fined.

All players involved who struck fans should be arrested, fined and made to provide restitution.

Whichever fan threw that chair, he should be arrested for aggravated assault.

It was pathetic.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #42
Linde

Linde is on a distinguished road
Default RE: F*** the NBA

what's going on here ? have you all turned into some whiny liberals ? you know pre-emptive and collateral damage and this stuff
i want my republicans back
Dying Fetus, Skinless / Neurotic DF / Devourment / FTC / Undergrind Freakfest ? / Deathfeast / Misery Index / Obscene Extreme / Dong / Mountains Of Death / NRW DF / Luha DF / Bloodshed / Grind Gütiger
Linde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #43
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I am very happy with the penalties handed down by the NBA today. I'm still not happy with what happened, but at least I can rest assured that Stern and the other NBA execs were just as appalled as I was. I really was considering taking some time off from the NBA because of this. Now I'm willing to give it another chance. The league may be broken, but at least those in charge can recognize that it's broken.

Good job Stern.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #44
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I agree, Ape.

And as for the individuals, I hope that Artest's employers will compel him to undergo psychiatric help as a condition of returning, because he is clearly mentally ill.

If he can apply the time toward addressing what is clearly a mental problem, perhaps he can salvage his career.

Good luck, Artest.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #45
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too 'ape, although I would have liked to have seen jackson/oneal given more to be honest.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #46
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problems with the penalties that the NBA put out today.

I just hope the police in Detroit do the same thing, and get all the fans as well.
I really hope they don't let this become a civil issue where Fans feel empowered to "make some money" by acting irresponsibility.

Yes, the players were at fault- as well - but the fans who started this, and acted this way should not "increase their net worth" because they are a@@#$%$#. Now the people who didn't throw anything, and didn't mouth, and didn't come on the court......if they got hit/hurt then they might have a case in my opinion, but not the ones who also acted WRONG. And no, fans do not have the "right" to verbally assault players either, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you think the criminal penalty should be for throwing a drink in someone's face?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #48
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Overall I was pleased with the suspensions handed out today except I wish the punishment on Jackson would have been a little tougher.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:44 AM   #49
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Linde
what's going on here ? have you all turned into some whiny liberals ? you know pre-emptive and collateral damage and this stuff
i want my republicans back
This kind of post quality is what happens when cousins have sex.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #50
Drbio
Banned

Hey dalm- I have no problem with the Detroit PD coming down on those fans, but if they do, criminal charges must be filed against those players as well. Period.

I think Artest and Jackson should have to pay that poor kid that they punched several times, a boatload of money. All the kid did was buy a ticket that ended up being next to an idiot who threw the beer.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

soooooooo, do any new security measures come from this little brouhaha?
I agree that fans who came onto the court should be in jail...as should players who went into the stands.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #52
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I disagree with the "that kid deserves money" statement. That kid doesn't deserve a dime. All he did was stand there. He did nothing to "earn" any money. He did nothing productive.

That's not to say that he's not a victim of a crime, because he is. But I dislike intensely the idea in America that just being a victime entitles you to a financial windfall. Artest committed a crime, and therefore deserves punishment. That punishment should come in many forms. First, Artest should be criminaly charged with assault or battery and should go to jail. He should be suspended from the NBA for a long, long, long time without pay. And finally, he should pay some fines. However, I disagree that this kid should be the recipient of those fines. He has done nothing, he should get nothing. He is perfectly capable of living his life the way he always has. One crazy ass night doesn't entitle him to a lifetime of financial security.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #53
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Hey dalm- I have no problem with the Detroit PD coming down on those fans, but if they do, criminal charges must be filed against those players as well. Period.

I think Artest and Jackson should have to pay that poor kid that they punched several times, a boatload of money. All the kid did was buy a ticket that ended up being next to an idiot who threw the beer.
I agree with the criminal charges against the players. That melee should have never happened.

Paying any poor kid, who wasn't inciting a riot (no verbal assault) , or throwing things; and still got pummelled -- yes, pay the actual medical bills --- pay his salary for 2 months (or something) and buy his season tickets. No, he doesn't deserve M$ though.

The players are losing M$ for doing this in salary from the suspensions. Hopefully they can spend a few, say 15-60 days in jail, and community service, and hopefully the judge will fine them according to their salary to help "victims of crime". I think that would be fair.

Right message sent that way for all involved.

Fans <u>guilty of inciting a riot and assault and/or battery</u> should be fined with a probated sentence of 15-60 days, banned from the arena for the rest of the year, and the fine money going to the "victims of crime" fund.

Judges, IMO, should throw out all civil suits involved with this where the fan was found guilty of assault/battery or inciting a riot.

IMO --- they should get all of them that are involved, and send the right message that this is not acceptable behavior by the players, or the fans.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 11-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #54
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dreaded double post

Old 11-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #55
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wait, did the guy that artest grab even get punched? I've watched that video over and over. Artest went into the stands, grabbed the guy (who didn't even throw anything, but was jumping around excited, which is why artest singled him out) around the neck and put him to the groud. Then he stood up. He threw no punches. Then jackson came in and punched another guy, the one that I believe actually threw the cup. It looked to me that the onlt punch artest threw was on the guy that came onto the court.

o'neal's punch was an act of cowardice and uncalled for. the guy was already on the ground.

As for the suspensions, I think they're ok. personally, i think just a tad to severe, but with artest, it's not like you could suspend him 60 games. might as well just do the rest of the season at that point. he'll have plenty of time to promote his album now.

Will we have appeals on the part of the player's association?

Old 11-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #56
Drbio
Banned

Artest punched the kid who he grabbed after he fell. It is clear in the video from the upper deck of the arena, but no so clear from the courtside video. Jackson kicked this kid and gave him a small punch as the other guy threw a second cup of beer at Artest (the first beer was clearly thrown by the moron in the blue). Then Jackson punched the second kid.

Artest and jackson should both compensate that kid who was just sitting there. All medical bills, cost of his broken glasses, etc. Even for the beer he was drinking. And then btoh should pay that kid for punitive damages. Then Artest and Jackson should spend time in jail, pay additional fines and lose their salary for the suspension.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #57
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i haven't seen the angle you are talking about... is that online anywhere?

but i do agree that that guy was not the one that threw the cup.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #58
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

The guy in the blue - John Green

Old 11-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #59
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
murphy, I am not defending him neither I said it is tolerable, All I am saying is it is understandable. It can happen to anyone.
I'm with you on this one MFF... I agree 100%.. Now with that said, Artest reacted and should be punished BUT he is NOT the sole reason this happened. For all of those people who say Artest swung on an innocent person, WRONG.. He was WITH the guy who threw the beer and cheered him on it was thrown and thought it was quite comical, THAT'S the reason Artest went after him because he thought he threw it. He made a mistake which he's OBVIOUSLY going to pay for.. However as you said MFF, I understand where he was coming from. Can't say I would have reacted the same way, can't say that was the best way to act NOR will I say it was the right thing to do, but I understand.

Lastly, someone said in this thread why didn't he go after Wallace? Well we know why he didn't go after Wallace, because Wallace would have drilled him into the ground, however, I'd be willing to bet after sitting there (rather laying there) he just kept thinking about how he was completely punked by Wallace and he blood pressure was rasing and low and behold someone throws a cup at him, we all know what happened after that.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #60
TheKid
Diamond Member

Quote:
murphy, I am not defending him neither I said it is tolerable, All I am saying is it is understandable. It can happen to anyone.
I'm with you on this one MFF... I agree 100%.. Now with that said, Artest reacted and should be punished BUT he is NOT the sole reason this happened. For all of those people who say Artest swung on an innocent person, WRONG.. He was WITH the guy who threw the beer and cheered him on it was thrown and thought it was quite comical, THAT'S the reason Artest went after him because he thought he threw it. He made a mistake which he's OBVIOUSLY going to pay for.. However as you said MFF, I understand where he was coming from. Can't say I would have reacted the same way, can't say that was the best way to act NOR will I say it was the right thing to do, but I understand.

Lastly, someone said in this thread why didn't he go after Wallace? Well we know why he didn't go after Wallace, because Wallace would have drilled him into the ground, however, I'd be willing to bet after sitting there (rather laying there) he just kept thinking about how he was completely punked by Wallace and he blood pressure was rasing and low and behold someone throws a cup at him, we all know what happened after that.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #61
TheKid
Diamond Member

Quote:

Old 11-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #62
TheKid
Diamond Member

Quote:

Old 11-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #63
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i think the kid got his point across. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #64
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha. so did i. double-posts galore!
Old 11-22-2004, 07:15 PM   #65
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Artest punched the kid who he grabbed after he fell. It is clear in the video from the upper deck of the arena, but no so clear from the courtside video. Jackson kicked this kid and gave him a small punch as the other guy threw a second cup of beer at Artest (the first beer was clearly thrown by the moron in the blue). Then Jackson punched the second kid.

Artest and jackson should both compensate that kid who was just sitting there. All medical bills, cost of his broken glasses, etc. Even for the beer he was drinking. And then btoh should pay that kid for punitive damages. Then Artest and Jackson should spend time in jail, pay additional fines and lose their salary for the suspension.
I only saw this upper deck view once (on sportcenter, Sunday, I think), and I agree it gives a significantly different perspective. It also makes it look like Artest had to cover a greater distance to get to those fans. I wish I could find this view online.

I have a feeling that the fan who threw the cup was not about to cover that distance and attack Artest further.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #66
Drbio
Banned

Can't find an online clip....sorry, but like smiles stated....Artest went way into the stands.

Kid- I am not wrong. That kid did nothing wrong. He did not throw anything at all and even if he was laughing, the last time I checked, laughing was not cause for being assaulted. Neither is coming to an NBA game with someone. Even if he was with that guy in blue, it is not his responsibility to babysit the guy. He was an innocent bystander and Artest and Jackson visciously assaulted him based on their ignorant assumptions. Period. Artest and Jackson should be jailed for assault, fined, suspended without pay and made to pay compensatory damages. Their actions were pathetic and completely unjustified.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #67
Drbio
Banned

Kid- according to Detroit news sources, that kid was not with John Green....the man in the blue shirt and white hat. I'd be interested to see where you came up with that.

Man Accused Of Throwing First Cup Speaks To Police

POSTED: 7:50 am EST November 22, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Police continue to identify all of the fans involved in Friday night's brawl at The Palace of Auburn Hills, while the man accused of throwing the cup that sparked the incident speaks to Local 4.
John Green, of West Bloomfield, was caught on tape throwing his cup of beer onto Indiana Pacers player Ron Artest, Local 4 reported. The act sent Artest into a rage in the stands, where players and fans then fought during the game between the Pistons and the Pacers.

Local 4 learned that Green has a criminal history, which includes the following offenses:

2003 -- Operating under the influence of liquor/operating while visibly impaired (second offense)

1989 -- Assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder

1989 -- Escape from prison

1986 -- Carrying concealed weapons

1986 -- Uttering and publishing, which is using a false, forged, altered or counterfeit record, deed or instrument to injure or defraud.

Green initially said he had no comment to Local 4, but eventually talked with the station Monday morning outside his West Bloomfield home, saying, "I'm not going anywhere. The police know where I live. I've talked to them already."

(Hear What John Green Has To Say)

Green was identified over the weekend as "the fan in the white hat" who apparently threw the plastic cup of beer while Artest was sprawled on his back on a scorer's table, away from a scuffle on the court. Artest then jumped up and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Green stepped aside and another person took the initial blow. The tape of Friday's fight then shows Green attacking Artest from behind.

Green was expected to speak with Auburn Hills police Sunday night, but did not appear, the station reported.

"I think that's what escalated the whole situation. We're certainly wanting to interview that individual. That individual knows who he is. I suggest he should turn himself in to be questioned by the Auburn Hills Police Department," said Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca. "If he doesn't, I can assure you we will locate him."

Authorities were able to locate Green and have questioned him regarding the incident, Local 4 learned Monday. Green could face charges and lose his season tickets at The Palace, the station reported.

Gorcyca said the investigation will begin with Green, but the prosecutor's office is expected to announce charges against 25 to 50 other fans who participated in the fight at The Palace.

Gorcyca said anyone who threw a cup or a punch -- including players and fans -- could face criminal charges.

"The throwing of an object and striking someone constitutes an assault," said Gorcyca.

One fan in particular that police want to identify is the person who threw a chair into the crowd. Police are reviewing video from a fan who snuck a camera into the game, Local 4 reported.

Police have interviewed nine witnesses who claimed that they were assaulted by one of the Pacers, Local 4 reported Monday. Investigators continue to review video to identify others involved in the brawl.

Witness Joe Hampton said he is a season-ticket holder and was about 10 rows away from the incident Friday.

"I didn't have the instinct necessarily to take off. It's just so shocking. You just kind of freeze," said Hampton. "This happened fast and it was just kind of surreal."

Authorities are trying to confirm witness information with video of the incident.

NBA security is also reviewing the tapes and plan to speak with officials at The Palace about security measures.