Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #161
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn
Quote:
The gangsters of Chicago chose to not mug me because of the deterrent nature of my weapon.

Criminals pick on easy targets.

Doc Zoidberg: "My opinion: You had luck!"

When was the last time you saw a picture in the news of a man built like Arnold Schwarzenegger who was mugged?
Any stories of a gun store getting robbed?
Any stories of the police station getting robbed?

Criminals prefer easy targets.
As I am not an American, I pass this question to our well informed members with US citizenship...

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 07-02-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #162
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
As I am not an American, I pass this question to our well informed members with US citizenship...
What??! Do massive men and well armed police get assaulted by street riff raff in Germany?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #163
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
What??! Do massive men and well armed police get assaulted by street riff raff in Germany?
You are not allowed to bear arms in Germany, so we have no problems with getting robbed on the streets by force of arms (guns). And of course, if you don´t have weapons, you don´t assault massive men and well armed police...

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 07-02-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #164
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
You are not allowed to bear arms in Germany, so we have no problems with getting robbed on the streets by force of arms (guns). And of course, if you don´t have weapons, you don´t assault massive men and well armed police...
Doesn't change the question: Do massive men and law enforcement suffer from violent crime aimed at them? Or is it the woman and weak man and empty house that gets targeted?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #165
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Doesn't change the question: Do massive men and law enforcement suffer from violent crime aimed at them? Or is it the woman and weak man and empty house that gets targeted?
If there is something to get from a weak man, woman or something valuable to get out of an empty house, you prefer that. You mostly take a line of the least resistance.

But for a criminal who has taken into his head to rob someone, because he conjectured rich booty, it doesn´t matter. If you have the gun, you have the power and blow away whoever you want to achieve your goal.

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #166
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

It shouldn't be so hard to get a person to admit that this point:

"Criminals prefer easy targets"

is true. Thanks for finally allowing the point.

Is not true that Hitler avoided a clash with Switzerland? His reasoning was that the cost was higher than the benefit. And, why did he reason that? Because every man has a military rifle and knows how to use it there. Every man serves in the military there for a brief tour and every man has to re-check back in with his rifle in good repair from time to time and demonstrate he can still use it well.

Maintaining a deterrence is not an original American ideal. Maintaining a defense is not just American.

There are some Europeans who feel the same way. Hope the unification of Europe doesn't result in German/Brit style gun laws applying to all of Europe.

But, come to America, Doc. We could use some more reasonable men that are well educated and can understand the value of having a weapon.

Last edited by wmbwinn; 07-02-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #167
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Since I don't live in Germany, I can't refute your statement. However, just because the law doesn't allow anyone to bear arms, doesn't mean the criminals who want to use them can't get them. That's true in any country.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #168
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dr Zoidberg:

I agree with your ideals 100%... I think guns only harm humans and zero good can come from their existence, but unfortunately you can't un-invent the gun - it's here to stay...

Q: Who has guns?
A: People who intend to use them...

Sometimes you need to protect yourself from those people and the best way to do it is with a gun - quite the paradox, no?

The US military has a lot of guns, but our citizens actually out-arm them... For all the despicable crap our government has done, they've rarely turned their guns on the People... Why? Because for every Kent State they've given us, we've given them a Whiskey Rebellion - open war against a well-armed populace is a waste of time & resources in a Democracy...

To Americanize/modernize a poem that originated in your country:

When they came for the immigrants
I remained silent;
I was not an immigrant.

When they came for the homosexuals
I remained silent;
I was not a homosexual.

When they came for the rednecks..... they stopped coming.

-UD

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-02-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #169
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Underdog again.

I agree with your post. The three of us are not far apart (Doc Zoidberg, Underdog, Wmbwinn).

My only departure is that the firearm is a deterrent and a defense.

The song quoted illustrates the defense and deterrence.

Here's a fun one liner (one liners are silly as they do not convey 100% truth and are inadequate on their own legs):

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians forget about the other amendments.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #170
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Here's a fun one liner (one liners are silly as they do not convey 100% truth and are inadequate on their own legs):

The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians forget about the other amendments.
Illustrated by the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
The US military has a lot of guns, but our citizens actually out-arm them... For all the despicable crap our government has done, they've rarely turned their guns on the People... Why? Because for every Kent State they've given us, we've given them a Whiskey Rebellion - open war against a well-armed populace is a waste of time & resources in a Democracy...

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #171
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
you point is of course correct in general (everyone seeks easy targets)

but this guy didn't seem like a lilting lilly to me

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...7112701710.jpg
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #172
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Why are you discussing your family being at risk at all? No one was at risk in this situation.
I don't have an opinion on this case, but your statement has been made a few times and doesn't seem to match the story.

He wasn't at risk before he left his house, but he also didn't shoot before he left the house.
At some point, there was a risk, and after that he shot.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #173
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes ! Me ! Not armed but 200 lbs. and 2 meters nearly got beaten up by turkish "fellow citizens"...

The wimps preferred to bring me down by kicking in my knee-hollow instead of facing me. 6 weeks ago.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #174
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe we should try this method.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstor...9520-20629459/

Quote:
Boris Johnson: "If you see trouble walk away"
3/07/2008

Boris Johnson urged people to walk away if they see a crime committed rather than risk their own lives.

The London mayor admitted he would tell his own children to "look after themselves" rather than play Good Samaritan to a victim.

Just last year, he called on people to "take a risk" and tackle thugs, saying the chance of being stabbed was "microscopic".

But Mr Johnson revealed a "very nice ex-jailbird" recently warned him: "If you see a fight in the street, don't risk it, someone might have a knife."

He said: "I'm afraid that may sound like a lack of public spirit if someone is being badly attacked.

"But if I was giving advice to my kids and there was a bar brawl it would be to look after themselves.

"Everybody is shocked by the level of violence we are seeing, particularly towards young people, and we must all work as hard as we can to reverse this dreadful trend."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #175
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Bad trend, but I am sure that guns are not the solution for this problem...

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #176
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bad trend, but I am sure that guns are not the solution for this problem...
Guns should be the LAST solution to any problem (but sometimes you exercise your options quickly...)

Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #177
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Guns will never be a solution to the problem if you run away.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #178
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
"Peace is its own reward" -Gandhi

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #179
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, it´s called civil courage, and you can also exercise it without a gun.

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #180
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, it´s called civil courage, and you can also exercise it without a gun.
And then you get slashed. I´d rather call a taxi than beeing slain.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #181
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk
And then you get slashed. I´d rather call a taxi than beeing slain.
Civil courage doesn´t necessarily mean to help the victim directly. This depends on the situation. For example, if there are more people around and you get loud and try to stop the aggressor, mostly other people will join you to help. Someone has to do the first step.

If you are alone and someone is threatened, maybe it´s better to bring help or call the police.

Civil courage means, not to look the other way and run off...

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #182
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Most killers are pissed. You´re right, but i only call the cops.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #183
Underdog

Quote:
For example, if there are more people around and you get loud and try to stop the aggressor, mostly other people will join you to help..
I think that applies more in Berlin than New York (an' we're talkin' 'bout Texas!)

You have to remember that the Gun is older than the New World...

Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #184
dude1394
Guru

So in other words, help 'em out if there's no chance of getting yourself hurt, otherwise, f'em.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #185
Underdog

Quote:
So in other words, help 'em out if there's no chance of getting yourself hurt, otherwise, f'em.
Unfortunately...

Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #186
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think I'd be more than willing to sacrifice my personal safety to help another person.

However, there's not a chance in hell I'm risking my life for someone's 32" Toshiba.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't want anyone else risking their lives for MY 32" Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Nope, its really not a hard decision.

So here's a notice to all my future and potential neighbors. If ever you are being robbed, I will be more than happy to turn on the neighborhood bat signal, but I'm not risking my ass to save you from having to buy another freakin XBOX, or Wii, or 5-Disc CD changer, or any other crap you've managed to shove on your department store credit card. Nobody's crap is really that important.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 07-03-2008 at 07:14 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #187
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The gangsters of Chicago chose to not mug me because of the deterrent nature of my weapon.

Criminals pick on easy targets.
There's more than one way to not be an easy target. I'm sure that whipping out that revolver and spinning the chamber, then brandishing a knife and scratching your cheek with it, after which you watched the scary gang of bad guys disperse at the sight of your macho act of bravado probably felt very good to you, like you were playing the lead role in a Hollywood script...but maybe there was another way...

Maybe the guy with twenty-five years of education has learned something along the way, and he's aware enough of his surroundings that he won't stop his fancy rental car and walk into a ghetto convenience store in the middle of the night so that he can ask directions, wearing his "easy target" white shirt and tie, while a gang of eight thugs are standing on the corner.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of guy who owns close to a hundred guns and doesn't mind using them, and after all, why shouldn't the bad part of Chicago still be part of the personal universe that you own? You are ARMED after all, damnit! That makes any space you want YOURS!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #188
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
There's more than one way to not be an easy target. I'm sure that whipping out that revolver and spinning the chamber, then brandishing a knife and scratching your cheek with it, after which you watched the scary gang of bad guys disperse at the sight of your macho act of bravado probably felt very good to you, like you were playing the lead role in a Hollywood script...but maybe there was another way...

Maybe the guy with twenty-five years of education has learned something along the way, and he's aware enough of his surroundings that he won't stop his fancy rental car and walk into a ghetto convenience store in the middle of the night so that he can ask directions, wearing his "easy target" white shirt and tie, while a gang of eight thugs are standing on the corner.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of guy who owns close to a hundred guns and doesn't mind using them, and after all, why shouldn't the bad part of Chicago still be part of the personal universe that you own? You are ARMED after all, damnit! That makes any space you want YOURS!
Honestly, I never thought about it at the time. I was naieve. I just needed to ask for directions. Never thought I would be a target of mugging. I definitely don't plan on stopping there again...
Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #189
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

WORSHIP ME!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #190
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I'd like to think I'd be more than willing to sacrifice my personal safety to help another person.

However, there's not a chance in hell I'm risking my life for someone's 32" Toshiba.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't want anyone else risking their lives for MY 32" Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

So here's a notice to all my future and potential neighbors. If ever you are being robbed, I will be more than happy to turn on the neighborhood bat signal, but I'm not risking my ass to save you from having to buy another freakin XBOX, or Wii, or 5-Disc CD changer, or any other crap you've managed to shove on your department store credit card. Nobody's crap is really that important.
Easy to be logical on a chatboard. Don't know how you will really respond in the "heat" of the moment. As I said earlier, my actions in various times and places is not logical. But, I do know that that is how I have reacted in the past. And... I would not expect a woman to brandish a shotgun and come to my rescue. [I'd think she was really 'something' if she did]
Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #191
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog

WORSHIP ME!
His cartridges are too small
Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #192
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk
Yes ! Me ! Not armed but 200 lbs. and 2 meters nearly got beaten up by turkish "fellow citizens"...

The wimps preferred to bring me down by kicking in my knee-hollow instead of facing me. 6 weeks ago.
So, in hindsight, how are you going to save your knees (and ass) in the future? Want at least a Taser stun gun?
Old 07-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #193
Underdog

Quote:
His cartridges are too small
that's what she said

Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #194
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

give me two Browning Automatic Rifles (30 06 chambering)...

or two Gatling guns (.308 Cartridge).

Then I'll be impressed.

Better yet, the WartHog's 20 mm nose cannon is pretty darn impressive... Ask the Afghannies who had success shooting down our helicopters early but had their arse kicked when the WartHogs made it to town in the second wave...
Old 07-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #195
Underdog

Quote:
give me two Browning Automatic Rifles (30 06 chambering)...

or two Gatling guns (.308 Cartridge).

Then I'll be impressed.

Better yet, the WartHog's 20 mm nose cannon is pretty darn impressive... Ask the Afghannies who had success shooting down our helicopters early but had their arse kicked when the WartHogs made it to town in the second wave...
"My, what a big GUN you have grandma... Can I touch it?"

(at least she's impressed...)

Old 07-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #196
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

gunroomcompressed.jpeg

Which one, little lady?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #197
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Life...Toshiba.

Just remember that, the next time you read or hear about someone getting murdered...then up further investigation they find a rap sheet on the perp, who happened to start his/her life of crime as a burglar.

Mary could have stopped the senseless murder rampage, if bag when they where walking out of your house with your Wii, Mary was in position to shoot the criminal, but felt that the criminals life was worth more than the future lives that criminal would destroy...including your Wii with that target practice game...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #198
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Quote:
So, in hindsight, how are you going to save your knees (and ass) in the future? Want at least a Taser stun gun?
In America he probably would have been shot, as everyone has a gun.

And to the statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump
However, just because the law doesn't allow anyone to bear arms, doesn't mean the criminals who want to use them can't get them. That's true in any country.
That´s definitely true, but I can´t remember any case in Germany, in which a person has been shot during a robbery in the open street...

I also know, and already wrote this in another thread, that in the USA are already too much weapons in circulation to come to grips with this "weapon problem", which you apparently don´t notice as a problem. But I understand that, as you always had the right to bear arms by constitution.

Last but not least, it´s also a question of tenor of the inhabitants of a country. And in Europe the tenor of people regarding this topic is totally different from America, as here we never had the rights to bear arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
Just remember that, the next time you read or hear about someone getting murdered...then up further investigation they find a rap sheet on the perp, who happened to start his/her life of crime as a burglar.

Mary could have stopped the senseless murder rampage, if bag when they where walking out of your house with your Wii, Mary was in position to shoot the criminal, but felt that the criminals life was worth more than the future lives that criminal would destroy...including your Wii with that target practice game...
Here we go again...

So I mentioned it several times. Why don´t adopt the death penalty for burglars, as it´s obvious in your thinking that those criminals will be murderers sooner or later...

"Talk to the claw."

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 07-04-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #199
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad

Don't think much of the Boys in Blue, huh?

Them and their sissy handcuffs!

Honestly, this is just dumb.

And I know you're not a dumb person.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 07-04-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #200
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Easy to be logical on a chatboard. Don't know how you will really respond in the "heat" of the moment. As I said earlier, my actions in various times and places is not logical. But, I do know that that is how I have reacted in the past. And... I would not expect a woman to brandish a shotgun and come to my rescue. [I'd think she was really 'something' if she did]
You've kind of missed the point. I said in cases where actual PEOPLE in danger, I agree with you. But choosing PROPERTY over LIFE is not only illogical, but immoral....not matter how heroic people make it out to be.

Tags
fluffy banter