Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2023, 12:18 AM   #1
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
One thing I will add is that I am not convinced that Luka will be better than SGA next season.
Luka is better when he's fully engaged

But I will say in late game situations I like the mentality of SGA and D.Fox much better than Luka

Those two dudes don't settle for as many 3's as Luka does latein Games

They always looking to attack the rim 1st keeping pressure on the defense

Luka imo tends to let the defense off the hook so often with step back 3's late I. Games

There were plenty of games and situations this year where I felt Luka could have gotten and taken smarter shots but way too often he would be too quick to just launch a 3

For the life of me I'm not sure why the mavs haven't primarily used Luka out of the post more to close out games. Dude is bigger and stringer than most defenders that he should be dominating late in Games inside especially with kyrie here.

It would stop the mavs from having wasted possessions down the stretch because they wouldn't be jacking up so many bad 3's in the 4th qtr if they played inside out with Luka as the post man
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:48 AM   #2
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

But I will say in late game situations I like the mentality of SGA and D.Fox much better than Luka

Luka imo tends to let the defense off the hook so often with step back 3's late I. Games

There were plenty of games and situations this year where I felt Luka could have gotten and taken smarter shots but way too often he would be too quick to just launch a 3

For the life of me I'm not sure why the mavs haven't primarily used Luka out of the post more to close out games. Dude is bigger and stringer than most defenders that he should be dominating late in Games inside especially with kyrie here.

It would stop the mavs from having wasted possessions down the stretch because they wouldn't be jacking up so many bad 3's in the 4th qtr if they played inside out with Luka as the post man
There is a little Recency bias based on the 2nd half of this year. Before this year Luka was perceived league wide as a clutch shot killer. On the glass half full side there is the thought the Mavs will be better next year with just a reversion to the mean in clutch time.

Definition
Recency bias is the tendency to overemphasize the importance of recent experiences or the latest information we possess when estimating future events. Recency bias often misleads us to believe that recent events can give us an indication of how the future will unfold.

Last edited by Zeus; 04-14-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm sayin.

Luka on the block with Kyrie ball handling should be late game option #1. The Kyrie on the corner and Luka ball handling up top is a bad scheme.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'm sayin.

Luka on the block with Kyrie ball handling should be late game option #1. The Kyrie on the corner and Luka ball handling up top is a bad scheme.
This.

4th quarter stats
Kyrie - 1st in league in 4th quarter points, 1st on the team in FG% (after guys like Powell who just do oops), 53% from the field and 40% from three
Luka - 46% and 33% from three, 8th on the team in efficiency

The ball should absolutely be in Kyrie's hands

post scoring
Luka - 45th in eFG% when posting. 55% eFG when posting (was 69% before Luka got so rundown)
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:55 PM   #5
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This.

4th quarter stats
Kyrie - 1st in league in 4th quarter points, 1st on the team in FG% (after guys like Powell who just do oops), 53% from the field and 40% from three

post scoring
Luka - 45th in eFG% when posting. 55% eFG when posting (was 69% before Luka got so rundown)
I think these are all skewed by the fact that Luka both got worn down and somehow simultaneously fat. Go back and watch Bubble Luka. It is a startling contrast
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I think these are all skewed by the fact that Luka both got worn down and somehow simultaneously fat. Go back and watch Bubble Luka. It is a startling contrast
Even prime fitness Luka needs to on the block. It's a massive weapon. He is big AF, can see over guys, can pass out of dbls, has great footwork and can score at will vs single defender. Its incredibly hard to defend. It also takes the hero 3 off the table more often. Kyrie still remains a 3pt threat in that set. They're still spaced well for either Luka to work or Kyrie to iso if they sag or dbl. It's literally the easiest and most simple and effective set we could run.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-14-2023 at 07:20 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:04 PM   #7
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This.

4th quarter stats

post scoring
You left out Decision making

Kyrie seems more willing to move the ball late in games and also attack the rim.

Luka tends to allow the ball to stick which often ends up leading to him taking poor shots to close out qtrs or games.

Hopefully as SMC pointed out they reevaluate the situation next season and put the ball in Kyrie's hands more and let him run the late game offense

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-14-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:05 AM   #8
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I want Nurse if available, someone I would trust to get the best out of players and put them in the position to be successful. Whoever FA the mavs get in the offseason will have to overcome the lack of coaching to go anywhere in the western conference.