Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-27-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Katz's pre-draft buzz

ESPN INSIDER
Latest draft buzz
posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry

NEW YORK -- The spin continues among the lottery teams Tuesday morning, but after sifting through the smoke, there are some new revelations that could certainly shake up one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory.

There are two players who didn't have any medical concerns among the proposed top seven: Connecticut's Rudy Gay and Italy's Andrea Bargnani. And, at least at this late stage, there is a chance -- albeit an outside one -- that they could be the top two players selected.

League sources confirmed to ESPN.com that Toronto is considering Gay at No. 1. This would certainly shock the draft, since Gay has been considered a lock to drop over the past few weeks.

Sources close to the situation said Gay worked out exceptionally well in Toronto, had a clean medical report, has the prototype NBA body for a small forward, is an "outstanding individual" and is considered a "safe pick.''

Gay was the projected No. 1 pick in the preseason, but the perception is that Gay had a down year for the Huskies. However, Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun told ESPN.com last week he disagrees with that perception, especially when one considers the fact that Gay scored 15.2 points per game to lead a team that was loaded with scorers at similar positions.

According to league sources early Tuesday morning, Gay is considered now to be a top-five pick, with the two likely destinations being Toronto at No. 1 and Charlotte at No. 3.

The perception that Toronto must trade down to draft Bargnani also is taking a hit. League sources said the Raptors are now worried that they couldn't get a guarantee that Bargnani would be available for them below No. 2. League sources told ESPN.com that Chicago is seriously considering taking Bargnani -- or at least is putting that out there -- so if the Raptors want Bargnani, they may have to take him at No. 1.

Historically, the No. 1 pick is extremely hard to move. The two notable times it did move were in 1993, when Orlando and Golden State swapped Chris Webber and Anfernee Hardaway, and the notorious 1980 deal involving Boston and Golden State, when the Celtics got Kevin McHale (the No. 3 pick) and the Warriors' Robert Parish for No. 1 overall pick Joe Barry Carroll.

Toronto isn't ruling out Texas sophomore LaMarcus Aldridge or Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, either. A decision could be made sometime late Tuesday.

League sources said the Bulls are considering a host of options at No. 2, with Bargnani among those at the top. Aldridge is also in the mix, along with LSU freshman Tyrus Thomas. There are other scenarios whereby the Bulls could move the pick, but league sources say Chicago also is listening to offers for Tyson Chandler (but not necessarily trying to push him out).

Meanwhile, Boston and Portland are talking about a deal that would send second-year point guard Sebastian Telfair to Boston for the No. 7 pick and injured point Dan Dickau (Achilles tendon).

The decision for general manager Danny Ainge is whether or not Telfair is a better fit for Boston over whomever the Celtics could land at No. 7. After Monday's workout, the top choice appears to be Villanova senior guard Randy Foye, but Foye could easily be gone at No. 6 to Minnesota. The Timberwolves were supposed to watch Foye on Monday in Boston but general manager McHale decided to go see England's Joel Freeland -- a possible Wolves second-round pick -- in a workout in Houston, instead.

Telfair, the controversial pick out of Lincoln High (N.Y.) who went at No. 13 in 2004, played in just 68 games last season because of an injured thumb. He started off the season well but never recovered his role after returning. Telfair is now behind Steve Blake and Jarrett Jack on the team's depth chart, making it obvious why the Blazers are willing to move him.

Still, Ainge is reviewing how Telfair performed prior to the injury to see if he fits in Boston. This trade, if it happens, might not occur until after the draft, once Boston sees who falls to No. 7.

Deals that are apparently dead, don't have life or never did include Houston and Atlanta swapping picks No. 5 and No. 8; Utah and Boston doing a Carlos Boozer trade that was a part of a larger package with Philadelphia, with Allen Iverson going to the Celtics; and Chicago shipping Chandler to Phoenix in a Shawn Marion deal.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

LOL, Dickau back in Portland for Telfair?.... Oh how the world turns...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Portland must be one of the dumber teams in the league. Telfair will be better than all but 3 or 4 players in this draft. Hell, he might be better than all of them. That kid can play some ball.

I remember Nellie drafting one of those super athletes who was a prototypical small forward and only played 1 year at Florida. He went on to such a storied and distinguished career that I can't remember his name.

I do think Gay is going to be a terrific player. I wish the Mavs could draft him, but I am certainly 100% thrilled that they aren't in that position.

I am souring somewhat on the prospects of the Mavs even finding a role player in this draft. Maybe one of the points will fall? This draft seems to be loaded with undersized "athletes". I think anytime the draft experts use the term "athlete" it is code that they can't really play basketball yet. When they describe someone who can play they usually use the term "terrific basketball player" or some derivative.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
I remember Nellie drafting one of those super athletes who was a prototypical small forward and only played 1 year at Florida. He went on to such a storied and distinguished career that I can't remember his name.
Donnell Harvey.

His last shot at the NBA was Feb 05 when he had a 10 day contract with NJ.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair rudy gay is a HELL of alot more skilled than donnell harvey. Harvey was never a 3 in college. He played center basically along with udonis haslem.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Donnell Harvey.

His last shot at the NBA was Feb 05 when he had a 10 day contract with NJ.
Yep. But I really don't think it was Nelson that pulled the trigger on that one. If you remember, that was Cuban's first year of the draft and it had Cuban's fingerprints all over it.

First, the Mavs picked a very un-Nelson like big man in the form of Etan Thomas. Nelson never played him.

Then the Mavs traded $3M and a future first round pick for Courtney Alexander. Nelson never played him.

Then the Mavs picked Harvey, another very un-Nelson like big man late in the first round. Nelson never played him

Finally, the Mavericks traded up to get local hero Eduardo Najera. Najera was the one player Nelson actually liked.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Cuban ran that draft from beginning to end. He may have consulted Nelson, but he consulted the espn mock drafts just as much. It was a fantasy draft run by a guy who just months before had forced Dennis Rodman down Nelson's throat. No wonder why it can be considered one of the worst drafts in the Mavericks long history of bad drafts.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I wasn't referring specifically to Rudy Gay or comparing Harvey to Gay. I was comparing Harvey to just about all of the other "athletes" in this draft. We all know Gay is going to be a terrific player. How good we don't know. I was making the point that just because someone is a terrific athlete doesn't make them a terrific basketball player. There is a plethora of 6'1 to 6'3" shooting guards/small forwards in this draft labelled as great 'athletes'. Honestly, guys who are 6'1" won't make it in the NBA if they can't play the point or have overwhelming quickness and shooting ability like Jason Terry. I am thinking that not one player in this draft is quicker than Terry or shoots as well under the NBA lights. That is why I said Telfair would be better than most if not all players in this draft. That kid has some unbelievable skills. But you know what, that really isn't enough to be a terrific NBA player. Lots of guys have terrific skills and suck.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Yep. But I really don't think it was Nelson that pulled the trigger on that one. If you remember, that was Cuban's first year of the draft and it had Cuban's fingerprints all over it.

First, the Mavs picked a very un-Nelson like big man in the form of Etan Thomas. Nelson never played him.

Then the Mavs traded $3M and a future first round pick for Courtney Alexander. Nelson never played him.

Then the Mavs picked Harvey, another very un-Nelson like big man late in the first round. Nelson never played him

Finally, the Mavericks traded up to get local hero Eduardo Najera. Najera was the one player Nelson actually liked.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. Cuban ran that draft from beginning to end. He may have consulted Nelson, but he consulted the espn mock drafts just as much. It was a fantasy draft run by a guy who just months before had forced Dennis Rodman down Nelson's throat. No wonder why it can be considered one of the worst drafts in the Mavericks long history of bad drafts.
Etan Thomas never played because he was injured with a foot injury he sustained in summer league the year he was drafted. Courtney Alexander actually played in 38 games, starting 6, his rookie year, and averaged 13 minutes/game. Actually, that is more than pretty much every rookie that Nelson had in his tenure as coach besides Josh Howard and Devin Harris. Donnell Harvey was not very good, and was only 19. But he was the national HS player of the year just two years earlier and I believe most thought it was a good pick in the 20s at the time. I think it's understandable that he didn't get much time that year. Of course, both Etan and Courtney were dealt to Washington to get Juwan Howard, so to say Nelson never played them and to come to the conclusion that he had nothing to do with that draft is a bit much, don't you think? Of course, your goal here is to rip up cuban, so I guess we all should just play along...don't let facts get in the way.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The 2000 draft was one of the worst ever, period, semicolon, comma, exclamation point.

I agree Cuban was more involved in the picks than he has been since, but everybody struck out that year.

I think Thomas was a sincere attempt to get some size on a team that had none, had no rebounding, and had just seen the great Hot Rod Williams head to retirement. That 2000 roster was a mess, guys.

I think people actually thought Alexander would be good. Nellie played him, especially early that year, but it didn't take long to figure out he sucked.

Harvey was a typical too-young bust. How many dozen of those have there been? But man, that dude ran just like Dennis Rodman. If only.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote