Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stack will miss opener.

Dalles news reports Stack will miss season opener and get another MRI.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Stack will miss opener.

oh well.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

This situation with our swingman injuries are getting pretty bad. Quis, Fin, and stack! We will have no depth to begin our season.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
This situation with our swingman injuries are getting pretty bad. Quis, Fin, and stack! We will have no depth to begin our season.
Being deep in the first month of the 6 month season is like having gloves in Fall. You don't need them until winter, but they are kinda nice to have.

It's the final 20 games and the playoffs that it matters. Getting both point guards, Finley and Howard on the floor will be enough for me.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stack will miss opener.

It will be at least a month before our swingmen are back in form. damn.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Damn, so when will he be back?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:54 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'm not worried.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:13 PM   #8
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Get ready for small ball with pgs at the 2 and Dickau is a must keep now.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Will it never end? Well, hopefully the MRI will come back negative and it'll heal up with just rest. It's frustrating but I'm on board with caution at this point.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:17 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
unless of course Finley comes back and Daniels feels good enough to play after 7 days of practice.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Will it never end? Well, hopefully the MRI will come back negative and it'll heal up with just rest. It's frustrating but I'm on board with caution at this point.
Im a little confused on what happened. He told the media that it wasn't anything serious and that if it had been in the regular season that he would have fought through it. I looked up what a contusion was and I got
Quote:
"A bruise; an injury attended with more or less disorganization of the subcutaneous tissue and effusion of blood beneath the skin, but without apparent wound."
and
Quote:
an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
so he bruised his inner thigh and he's going in for a second MRI? He can't play because he has a bruise? I want him to heal and I dont want it to be a chronic ailment, but its just a bruise. Anyone medically trained to analyze this? Can the contusion be that serious or are we being fooled here. IS the MRI for something else?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:31 PM   #12
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I have a bad feeling about Stackhouse. Injuries kept him out most of last season. He only played a couple of preseason games this year and he is already missing regular season games. I just hope the team doesn't come to rely on him. He is too old with a history of injuries.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Unless the "thigh contusion" is actually an ankle or knee injury, then it is not a chronic condition, but rather a freak accident.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #14
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
unless of course Finley comes back and Daniels feels good enough to play after 7 days of practice.

No we will still probably see the two pg set. Unless of course Nellie gets the flu again.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:38 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dalles news reports Stack will miss season opener and get another MRI.
crap...
all these injuries had to eventually cost them something...

Jives' new sig is pure genius...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

is that a street fighter reference?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:59 PM   #17
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Yes, I am a geek.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:14 AM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavericks' Stackhouse will miss opener
Veteran guard says thigh contusion will keep him out

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks hoped a seemingly endless series of nicks and injuries would run their course before the start of the regular season.

Sixth man Jerry Stackhouse declared that he wouldn't be ready for next week's opener against Sacramento. The veteran guard has missed the last five games with a right thigh contusion and won't take the court when the Mavericks close the preseason against the Kings tonight at American Airlines Center."I'm going to be cautious with it because I don't want it to be something dragging on for the whole season," said Stackhouse, who missed 54 games last season because of surgery on his right knee. "I'd rather get it taken care of, let it heal up, while it's still early in the season."

Stackhouse sustained the injury Oct. 17 when he went in for a layup and collided with Orlando's Grant Hill. Stackhouse can run straight ahead, which helps with his conditioning, but is uncomfortable with lateral movement and cuts.

Mavericks coach Don Nelson said he was encouraged after watching Stackhouse move in Wednesday's practice. But Stackhouse said he intends to have another MRI taken early next week, and hopes then to have a better idea of when he can play.

The team's depth at shooting guard and small forward was considered a strength entering camp. But Marquis Daniels hasn't practiced because of a left ankle sprain. Michael Finley has missed the last three games with a sore hamstring and said Wednesday he's day-to-day.

"I don't know who is going to be able to play on opening night," Nelson said. "I thought Marquis was the most important guy on the team as far as blending the team together, and he hasn't been out there."

Josh Howard appeared to be the odd swingman out in the team's rotation at shooting guard and small forward. Nelson planned to bring him off the bench. But he's had a good camp, averaging 11.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists, and may have earned a starting spot to open the season.

"Josh has played great in the preseason," Stackhouse said. "If we all had been healthy, then maybe he doesn't get the experience of playing like he is now and getting that confidence. Maybe that helps us in the long run."

Defensive emphasis:

Avery Johnson called a timeout during Tuesday's loss to San Antonio to challenge center Erick Dampier in front of the team.

"We're not going to be good defensively if Erick Dampier doesn't get blocked shots," said Johnson, who coached the game for an ailing Don Nelson. "That's what I wanted to clearly explain to him. Man-to-man, face-to-face."

Dampier has played 48 minutes over the last two preseason games without a block. Johnson also included Calvin Booth and D.J. Mbenga in the challenge. The three centers combined for just two blocks – both my Mbenga – in a total of 56 minutes in the Spurs game.

Briefly:

Avery Johnson also challenged the team's conditioning, saying, "some of our key guys have to get in better shape."...The Mavericks are offering a special $25 ticket for the first three home games. The terrace ticket, normally $39, can be purchased online at mavs.com or by calling 214-747-Mavs. ... TNT analyst Charles Barkley said his pick for Rookie of the Year is Mavericks point guard Devin Harris. "I just want to play good enough to get Coach Nelson to stop yelling at me in practice," Harris said.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:18 AM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
no more than me, but I stopped playing fighters at the same time NBA Jam was losing its appeal, so I didn't catch on to any characters beyond Vega and Baraka.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Sixth man Jerry Stackhouse declared that he wouldn't be ready for next week's opener against Sacramento
Quote:
Don Nelson said he was encouraged after watching Stackhouse move in Wednesday's practice. But Stackhouse said he intends to have another MRI taken early next week, and hopes then to have a better idea of when he can play.
Shouldn't the doctors decide? If he looks good in practice, shouldn't he go on the MRI instead of declaring that he won't be able to play in 6 days?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:21 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
no more than me, but I stopped playing fighters at the same time NBA Jam was losing its appeal, so I didn't catch on to any characters beyond Vega and Baraka.
chicks playing video games, Sad or Sexy?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The team's depth at shooting guard and small forward was considered a strength entering camp. But Marquis Daniels hasn't practiced because of a left ankle sprain. Michael Finley has missed the last three games with a sore hamstring and said Wednesday he's day-to-day.
Our dept is still a strength. Not many teams could lose they're first and second team two-guards and not see a drastic fall off. Devin and Terry are more than adequate replacements at the two and playing a little three won't kill Dirk. Our huge front line will offset the small backcourt when Terry and Harris are playing together.

In other news, I didn't realize how much Nellie thought of Daniels.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:24 AM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I would have been 10 or 11 at the time.....not that I don't still....
Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #24
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
I put it up there with chicks working on cars, chicks playing sports, and chicks drinking dark beer. All of them are sexy in my book.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 AM   #25
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
Im a little confused on what happened. He told the media that it wasn't anything serious and that if it had been in the regular season that he would have fought through it. I looked up what a contusion was and I got
Quote:
"A bruise; an injury attended with more or less disorganization of the subcutaneous tissue and effusion of blood beneath the skin, but without apparent wound."
and
Quote:
an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration
so he bruised his inner thigh and he's going in for a second MRI? He can't play because he has a bruise? I want him to heal and I dont want it to be a chronic ailment, but its just a bruise. Anyone medically trained to analyze this? Can the contusion be that serious or are we being fooled here. IS the MRI for something else?
You get use MRI to cause tissues in the body to take on different appearances. This is very helpful to the radiologist (who reads the MRI) in determining if something seen is normal or not.

As for how an MRI could be associated with a bruise? Lot of reasons ... in Stack's case the original MRI caould have indicated a bone bruise (trabecular microfracture) ... but those are usually around the knee.... and they're sometimes associated with ACL or MCL trouble. It's difficult to know since it's simply reported as a "bruise." But it's unlikely that Stack's bruise is the same sort of playground buise we're all used to seeing.

The bad news is the finding of bone bruises might also be an indicator of the presence of other injuries... Or in Stack's case they can occur following an injury to the knee and cause continued pain.

the good news is bone bruises eventually heal themselves and require no treatment except limitation of activity. The condition generally resolves within 6 months.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:43 AM   #26
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

We are soft.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Phil Helmuth
We are soft.
*sigh*

Old 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #28
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
I put it up there with chicks working on cars, chicks playing sports, and chicks drinking dark beer. All of them are sexy in my book.
never seen hot chick working on car...some playing sports....beer(whatever floats the boat) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2004, 01:07 AM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
the good news...the condition generally resolves within 6 months.
so.....he'll be ready just before or during the playoffs....

in other words, the whole season.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:12 AM   #30
sike
The Preacha

how is that "good news"? Unless one thinks solely of the playoffs.....

Old 10-28-2004, 01:21 AM   #31
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Who knows...

... if the MRI looks good he could be back next week. If it's serious he could be out all year. We never get decent reporting on injuries so it's imposisble to know what's up based on "Stack has a bruise" ...

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 AM   #32
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Blessing in disguise about Stackhouse. Josh Howard is officially going to get his chance with this team in a meaningful role. Jason Terry can get some minutes at the two spot and gives Devin some serious time along the way.

All is good.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #33
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

I agee, only negative is Stack looses trade value if he is out for an extended period.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Stack will be missed, no matter what. Even if Howard does get more playing time that in the long run will be better for the Mavs...if Stack is out, his offensive prowess will not be matched by the likes of Daniels or Howard or Finley at this point in their careers most nights.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #35
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
never seen hot chick working on car...some playing sports....beer(whatever floats the boat) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
There's that chick from this movie.

Franch Fries
Old 10-28-2004, 03:16 PM   #36
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I am a geek.
There's that chick from this movie.

Franch Fries
Great movie. "I want my two dollars!"

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote