Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs press conference at 5:30

especially not right now...maybe at the end of the season, but why now?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs press conference at 5:30

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
especially not right now...maybe at the end of the season, but why now?
exactly my thoughts. My head isnt spinning because I think the conference will be boring, but things still don't add up. If its just AJ, then AJ has become a premier element of this franchise
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #43
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: hairball02
i thought we were maxed out on coaching spots, and that is why AJ was signed as a player/coach.
I wonder what coach has been shipped out.

Donnie will no longer be coaching - moving to front office only.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:02 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
confirmation?

Its still a weak press conference but it certainly sounds like a better reason.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #45
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Avery Johnson is retiring as a player to focus on his new role as Don Nelson's lead assistant, league sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Mavericks will make the announcement Thursday.

Nelson's son, Donnie, who has been serving as the team's president of basketball operations and as an assistant coach, will leave the bench to focus on his front-office role.

This move brings Johnson one step closer to succeeding the elder Nelson as the Mavericks' next coach. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Nelson have repeatedly identified Johnson as a leading candidate to replace Nelson, who has one season left on his contract after this one.

Donnie Nelson was named president of basketball operations in the summer of 2002 after the Denver Nuggets considered him for their head-coaching opening that eventually went to Jeff Bzdelik. The younger Nelson has since emerged as Cuban's right-hand man and, along with Cuban, spearheads the Mavericks' roster decisions.

Johnson played for six teams in his 16 years in the NBA, averaging 8.4 points and 5.5 assists per game.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #46
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:
i thought we were maxed out on coaching spots, and that is why AJ was signed as a player/coach.

mary may have just hit it.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #47
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:

mary may have just hit it.
Nah...I just read the Stein article. It gave a tad bit more info than Sefko.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

Proving once again, that mary is far too honest. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #49
mary
Troll Hunter

The only weird thing about this is that they appear to be shuffling the organization around for the sake of a roster spot - a roster spot for Dan Dickau??? I like Dickau and everything, but wow....what other reason is there?

Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #50
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Donnie hasnt been a coach since he signed on to be President.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #51
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think there is a max number of coaches. Either way, Ro Blackman is apparently leaving for the broadcast team.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #52
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: PepperTheMavsFan41
Donnie hasnt been a coach since he signed on to be President.

Well then, his clone must've been hanging around the Mavs bench last year...and subbing for Nellie when he got tossed.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #53
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Donnie is listed as a coach so nevermind that.

Maybe we finnally give that spare Larry Riley the boot for good?

bout time.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:19 PM   #54
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't think there is a max number of coaches.
There is when it comes to bench coaches. Even though AJ has been acting as a coach he's been on the bench as a "player", and not officially a coach. Now that Donnie is leaving he can officially become a bench coach.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #55
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Avery Johnson is retiring as a player to focus on his new role as Don Nelson's lead assistant
This explains why Nellie and Del were out of the last game. They wanted to see if AJ could handle the job. Not a bad idea - give him a little game pressure and see if he responds.

If AJ becomes Nellie's lead assistant, does that mean that Del moves down? If/when Nellie gets tossed during a game does AJ become the coach or is it Del?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #56
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If AJ becomes Nellie's lead assistant, does that mean that Del moves down? If/when Nellie gets tossed during a game does AJ become the coach or is it Del?
Doesn't matter because Del always tells the Umps to throw him out as well, so he can go drink beer in the back with Nellie anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #57
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/more...?id=3062&NAV=1 Avery's Dominoes - The Truth Behind Mavs' Latest Shuffle

Per DLord article, Avery's retirement forced the Mavs to remove a bench coach, if they wanted to add Avery.

"5. When Avery retired, if they wanted him to be on the bench during games, he now had to be added to the list of bench coaches. So someone had to be removed from that list, and Donnie went to full-time GM work"
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote