Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-26-2004, 12:54 AM   #1
mikeinrowlett

mikeinrowlett is on a distinguished road
Default MAV BASHING

George Karl on ESPN, and apparently Stephen A. Smith believe that Erick Dampier was the worst off season move in the NBA. Whatever.
mikeinrowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:MAV BASHING

re-signing Stephen A. Smith has my vote as the worst move ESPN has made in recent history.

Apparently Dennis Hans of Hoopshype agrees. He voted him: Most annoying studio performer, Most rude, and Least insightful. Three awards he very much earns.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Last time I saw Benga he had the worst haircut of any Mav since the Detlef Schrempf chili bowl

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=Detlef+Schrempf/v=2/SID=e/l=IVI/SIG=11qptu5kv/*-http%3A//www.ledi-0209.com/scan/neo/schrempf87fleer.JPG[/img]

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:07 AM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: MAV BASHING

I saw that. All I could think to myself was that the national media coverage of the NBA is AGAIN going to make it a very...long...season. It wasn't just their irrational dismissal of the Dampier signing (why is it that we're the only team that gets the "they made to many changes", tag?). They just have no chemistry together. It was painful to watch that segment before they even made it to their annual Maverick bashing extravaganza.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:10 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

oop
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 AM   #6
mikeinrowlett

mikeinrowlett is on a distinguished road

Found it interesting that the question was asked about Erick Dampier and it turned into the entire Mav offseason. Pretty short sighted view of losing Steve Nash I believe. Losing Nash hurts, obviously, but to deem the team a failure while not looking at the overall picture is ridiculous. Come back in two years when Nash is playing 18 minutes a game due to being played-out and make that same statement. I wanted to keep Nash, but NOT at that expense and for that many years. That would have been the worst off season move the MAVS could have made.

And are we not to make changes? Should the Mavericks be satisfied with being bumped out in the first round. I hope not.
mikeinrowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:24 AM   #7
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Pure idiocy. I bet they said multiple times last year that the Mavs couldn't win because they didn't have a guy like Eric Dampier. Wouldn't surprise me if they named him specifically once or twice. Being in the sports commentary business means never having to say you're sorry.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:27 AM   #8
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
re-signing Stephen A. Smith has my vote as the worst move ESPN has made in recent history.

Apparently Dennis Hans of Hoopshype agrees. He voted him: Most annoying studio performer, Most rude, and Least insightful. Three awards he very much earns.
Rude? Yes, that very much fits Eric. I only hope that his contributions to the team make it worth tolerating his presence.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

huh? I was saying that about Stephen A Smith. I havent heard any reports of Dampier being rude. Aloof maybe, but not rude.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Two things get to me perennially.

1) Players (Mavs) never develop. Either they already have, or they are a risk for the future. It's an element of sports writing that it is evanescent. Reporters rarely have to stand behind anything. They said bad things about Nash when he first came to Dallas. We were in some deep trouble then. Nash developed, and got old and now he is the cornerstone of our franchise. I guess the same pattern that has happened for every good team in the NBA (minus the Kidd teams), isnt evidence enough that especially with point guards, teams need to develop.
2) Analysts seems to be stuck with a world-view that is completely missing a temporal element. If you listened to Stephen A. Smith long enough, you'd start to doubt that time even exists as a medium for change. Hogan's Heroes never got old, We could have kept our same Mavs team for 20 years, and reality tv will never die.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:55 AM   #11
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Stephen A. Smith said something about he was "the moderator and no one could disagree with him" before they started arguing. When Kenny Smith decided to voice his OWN opinion Stephen A. Smith proceeded to belittle him and act like an immature ass (more than normal). I wish Kenny went Chris Everett/Jim Rome or Antonio Davis/Brendon Haywood on that loudmouth ass. I like that Kenny likes us, specifically Stack. I think Stack gets a bad rap, and is really a badass.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:58 AM   #12
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

But it's almost a good thing if these pundits are picking against the Mavs, isn't it? Let these guys think what they may --- they have 30 teams to cover, so they can't possibly pay as much attention to the Mavs as true fans. Let them throw Damp under the bus all they want for now --- maybe it will make Damp work that much harder.

And, the espn pro basketball studio teams have been disasters from the get go --- anyone remember Tim Hardaway's stint? Who actually put that guy in front of a live camera? Kevin Frazier isn't terribly solid, and Mr. Smith just yells a lot. Sometimes it's funny --- I particularly like it when he calls out teams that are playing poorly, but other than that he's relatively worthless. And, how did George Karl fool someone again --- first, he dupes the Bucks into giving him a huge contract, now he convinced someone he should be on television.

On a related note, does anyone have any idea what happened to David Aldridge?
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:02 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

dropped by ESPN, and picked up by TNT I think.

Unfortunately I think he'll be doing the reporting and Ernie, Charles and Kenny will be doing the majority of the talking.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #14
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

They didn't renew his contract! they picked SAS over DA!! AHAHAH they are going down the crapper. They let go of Mel Kiper as well, who actually knew alot about the draft so some retard in an outlandish suit can come up with some nickname for Andrew Walter and Derrick Johnson.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #15
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
Kevin Frazier isn't terribly solid
I think Kevin Frazier is doing celebrity gossip these days, a job to which he's much better suited.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:39 AM   #16
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

man, Mel Kiper made the NFL draft into the extravegansa it is today, that was dumb, and David was the only basketball guy they had i even remotely cared for. At least they didn't sign Walton.........yet rofl
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Frazier is a Lakers homer........ he's not that aggravating, which is more than what can be said about Steve A B***h. He has ruined my old home theater speakers' tweeters, I had to buy new ones.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Of course, anyone who has a negative opinion of any of the Mavs players must be a fool, idiot, moron, etc... That's the way it goes on Dallas-Mavs.com these days. Everything is wonderful and it's the rest of the world who's crazy.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Of course, anyone who has a negative opinion of any of the Mavs players must be a fool, idiot, moron, etc... That's the way it goes on Dallas-Mavs.com these days. Everything is wonderful and it's the rest of the world who's crazy.
bradley sucks.
not trading him was the worse [non]move of the off-season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I concur to an extent. I hate always reading how this writer is an idiot or that on air personality is an idiot. Sure, Stephen A. Smith sucks....Sure, I can't stand George Karl, but is everyone that says something negative about the Mavs an idiot?

Like it or not, the Mavs have alot of new cogs to work in. Can they? Sure. If they do, they have a chance to make a serious run at a title. But will it all work this year? That's why they play the games, and it's definitely possible that this exact combination is the right one. But what I like is the youth on this Mavs team. Even if this isn't the year, I like the chances that it could be next year or the year after.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #21
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
Quote:
bradley sucks.
not trading him was the worse [non]move of the off-season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Now that's MAV BASHING. You get the idea...

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you've just described about every sports message board I've ever been to.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:
I think you've just described about every sports message board I've ever been to.
Unfortunately, D-M.com used to be better than that. Hopefully it will once again when the season starts.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #24
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

No one deserves to be called an idiot however, I would highly contest any individual who made the assertion that Dallas filling a need through acquiring Erick Dampier was the worst move of any team this offseason.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #25
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
ape get over it, Bradley is gonna ride the bench all year. I love ya man but come on and snap outa it, its gonna be alright.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:05 PM   #26
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

The thing i dont get is why we let a proven commodity like Nash walk because of money, and give a 1 year wonder tons of it. Age shouldn't factor in because they are roughly the same age and they are both injury prone. I guess size and D enter into the picture(which im not complaining about 4 sure), but Damp's contract is ridiculous no doubt. I only hope we can get rid of it in 3-4 years.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
The thing i dont get is why we let a proven commodity like Nash walk because of money, and give a 1 year wonder tons of it. Age shouldn't factor in because they are roughly the same age and they are both injury prone. I guess size and D enter into the picture(which im not complaining about 4 sure), but Damp's contract is ridiculous no doubt. I only hope we can get rid of it in 3-4 years.

I think most of it has to do with their respective positions and trying to have a more balanced team.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
No one deserves to be called an idiot however, I would highly contest any individual who made the assertion that Dallas filling a need through acquiring Erick Dampier was the worst move of any team this offseason.
That's what Mavericks fans said to critics after the Montross deal, and we didn't give Montross an $80 million contract and he only cost us ONE first round draft pick, and NO solid rotation players like Laettner and Najera.

It can be argued, I suppose, that the Dampier deal was good for the Mavs because it helped us fill a need. Of course, that can only be proven true if the Mavs acheive more playoff success with him than they did without him. But I think you would be hard pressed to find a single NBA executive who didn't think that Dampier's seven year contract is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS. You would find quite a few very well respected men that share that opinion. I am not a well respected man, but I would agree that this contract is a joke.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #29
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

its true its ridiculous, but so was Juwan Howards ect. ect. and in all fairness Eric the great white hype Montross never averaged 12 and 12.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Stephen A. Smith is a butt dumpling. I can't believe anyone gets upset over the crap that retard spews. reeds is more credible.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW...don't think for a second that if NY had signed Dampier that Stephen Ahole Smith wouldn't be gushing all over him like the second coming of Shaq.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
solid rotation players like Laettner and Najera
thanks for the larfs, Madape.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #33
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous contracts were the norm this year. I just find it absurd that someone would pick out the ridiculous contract (that will probably end up being only 6 years, btw) we gave out that FILLED A GLARING NEED over all the other ridiculous contracts given out.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Yes, it was a ridiculous contract, but throw that out the window. That's a non-issue now that the season is starting. It comes down to this, will he or will he not help this team win games? If he can help the team win games and plays near the level he played at last year, then his contract is just a little more luxury tax that Cuban has to eat. And I'm sure that Cuban will happily take that hit if Dampier can provide similar production to last year.

Sure, if he's a bust and the team sucks, the contract becomes an albatross. And yes, 5 years down the road it could be an albatross even if he plays well for the first 4 years or so. But, Cuban thought that it was worth a shot to overpay a center to try and win a title over the next few years.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #35
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Its all good. Let us be underdogs, we have nothing to lose.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:42 PM   #36
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
BTW...don't think for a second that if NY had signed Dampier that Stephen Ahole Smith wouldn't be gushing all over him like the second coming of Shaq.

That's so true, lol.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #37
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

and if Dampier ended up on the Knicks.....

what do you guys think they would all say about that? what would stephen a. say??

probably involve some NYC dick-riding.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:16 AM   #38
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing I didn't call him an idiot........ although I think he is one. But my problem with him is not his idiocy. It's his annoying, assinine ways. Why must he be so loud and ghetto? Does he have to "keep it real?" He sounds like something straight from Dave Chappelle Show's "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong" skit.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 PM   #39
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

um yeah, stephen a. is the furthest thing from "keeping it real"
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #40
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

stirring up controversy, creating resentment between fans of their respective teams, boosting tv ratings because of his outrageous remarks.. hes doing his job. =p

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote