Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-29-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Injury updates from D. Lord

If this has already been posted, then please delete.

Quote:
'Writin' A Book?'
Friday's Workout: Good Health News

By David Lord -- DallasBasketball.com
Friday’s practice report, complete with some insight regarding the Mavs’ opening-night lineup:

DB.com pushed for answers from Nellie on what the starting lineup might look like for Tuesday against Sacramento. The coach playfully wondered if we were “writing a book. … How many questions do you have? Pretty soon, you’re going to have the starting lineup, aren’t you?
Of course, we’re not writing a book; just a look at who might be ready for Tuesday and how Nellie might use them. So. … look for a starting lineup with Finley at the 2 and Howard at the 3 against the Kings.

Speaking of injuries. … The aforementioned lineup decisions are, of course, determined in part by Dallas’ injury issues. Here’s the latest: Jason Terry's mouth is still sore, but he is ready to play. Michael Finley is close to ready, and said there is no question in his mind he will be healed and ready by the season opener on Tuesday. Josh Howard said the soreness in his knee comes and goes, but the doctors he saw this week (as reported by DB.com) assured him there is nothing to worry about, and he pointed out he played 44 minutes Thursday without being bothered by it. Marquis Daniels practiced a bit, but was mostly limited to defensive walkthroughs and free throws, and he is still uncertain when he will be ready.
Nellie said, "I'm hoping Marquis can play a little bit [in the opener], but I'm not sure."
Jerry Stackhouse put in a full practice and according to Nellie he looked good but not 100 percent, but Nellie added he didn't know if he would have him for the opener. Alan Henderson laughed when I asked him if he wanted to talk about his back, then said (while rapping me on the head), "My back has been great -- knock on wood."

Roster moves: Hood, Sasser, and Lopez were all released today, getting the team down to the in-season limit of 15 players

Nellie's general comments on practice: Nellie said the club did survive Friday’s workout without further injury, and that the practice “was good. The offense was clicking, the defense was sharp, and I was very pleased with the practice today."
What is the plan for practice between now and the opener? "Same thing,’’ Nellie said. “Play together, make sure everybody is on the floor, even if they aren't 100%, so we start learning each other's moves. I don't know if 4 days is enough, but it's better than no days!
Will there be any time off between now and Tuesday? "There will be no days off,’’ the coach said. “Normally, if I had had everybody in training camp, I would have given them a day off. But, not now. Can't afford it.
Did the game on Thursday give you any insight into what will happen in the opener against the same team (Sacramento)? "No not really,’’ Nellie said. “We've played them so many times that we know what they run. It's just guarding them - that's the hard thing. And we'll have different people than played in that game, more healthy bodies.
"I'm not sure the win [last night] was that important. If we had lost, I sure wouldn't count it in their favor. They didn't play their starters in the 4th quarter. But we did play very well - that was one of our better performances." Back

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Injury updates from D. Lord

Quote:
Josh Howard said the soreness in his knee comes and goes, but the doctors he saw this week (as reported by DB.com) assured him there is nothing to worry about
good news, lets hope they are right.

I really like Lord's stuff...he is one of the very few high quality basketball writers (all D-M.com posters excluded...except doc) in town.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

And you called me a brownoser the other night.

But yeah, Lord is a good guy, he is pretty funny when you get him into the chat room. Good humored guy.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Injury updates from D. Lord

Great news!!!

Most encouraging part is that Daniels might play a bit in the opener.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
And you called me a brownoser the other night.

But yeah, Lord is a good guy, he is pretty funny when you get him into the chat room. Good humored guy.
you read my compliment as brown nosing? Perhaps you should go compare the two... I said I like Lord's writing, you said murph is the reason you come to this forum....I detect a difference. But whatever. I do like Lord's writing and the fact that he is one of a very small group of basketball (local or national) writers I like was my point.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering how Nellie would handle Quis' return. It's my hope that as long as Josh is playing well starting that Nellie will bring Quis off the bench unless/until he shows that he's really into things and playing well with the other starters, ie., Nellie will make Quis win a starting spot. From this article it sounds as if that's how things will work out.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I was wondering how Nellie would handle Quis' return. It's my hope that as long as Josh is playing well starting that Nellie will bring Quis off the bench unless/until he shows that he's really into things and playing well with the other starters, ie., Nellie will make Quis win a starting spot. From this article it sounds as if that's how things will work out.
Grndmstr_c...I was thinking the same thing. I think Howard should start at the 3 with Finley starting at the 2. Bring Daniels off the bench initially and make him win a starting spot. Here's David Moore's article from the DMN:
------------------------------------
Mavericks nearly full strength

Everyone expected to make roster works together for first time

09:04 PM CDT on Friday, October 29, 2004

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

It took 24 days and a lot of time in the training room, but it finally happened.

The Mavericks conducted their first practice with everyone they expect to be on the active roster this season.

"I just went nuts and kept them here for about 3 ½ hours," Mavericks coach Don Nelson said after Friday's session.

"The offense was clicking. The defense was sharp. I was very pleased with the practice."

Not everyone went full speed. Michael Finley and Jerry Stackhouse, who has said he won't be ready to play in Tuesday night's opener, worked cautiously.

Marquis Daniels sat out when the team began to scrimmage full court.

But Nelson wants everyone to practice the next three days so they can get a feel for each other.

"I want to ensure everybody is on the floor, even if they're not 100 percent, so we can start learning each other's moves," Nelson said. "I don't know if four days is enough, but it's better than no days."

Briefly: Don Nelson said even if Marquis Daniels is able to play against Sacramento on Tuesday night, he won't start him until he's able to play his way into shape. Nelson said Josh Howard will start at small forward against the Kings. ... The club cut three players – Derek Hood, Jason Sasser and Felipe Lopez – to get its roster down to 15 players.

akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote