Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default Fantasy Question: Which Center Would You Pick?

The Mavs have great players on all positions, except at center. We probably have to live with the three-headed center for a while. So let's dream a bit. Who would you pick if you could could choose any center in the league in exchange for Fortson, Bradley or Williams. Money, contracts put aside of course. Who would fit in best with the mavs?

Shaq
G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
31 31 35.1 .561 .000 .527 3.20 7.90 11.20 3.1 .35 2.29 2.87 2.90 20.7

Jermaine
48 48 36.3 .436 .091 .757 2.70 7.60 10.30 2.0 .81 2.69 2.52 3.40 20.4

Ben Wallace
49 49 39.5 .408 .250 .509 4.30 8.90 13.20 2.0 1.84 3.12 1.35 2.20 9.4

Brad Miller
46 46 38.3 .517 .421 .788 2.80 8.00 10.80 4.7 .87 1.30 2.04 3.30 14.8

Yao Ming
48 48 32.4 .532 .000 .769 2.60 6.50 9.10 1.4 .27 1.77 2.42 3.20 16.1

any one else?

I would pick Ben. He's tough. Not too old. Doesn't demand the ball on the offensive end.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Fantasy Question: Which Center Would You Pick?

I take Duncan. Young, tough on both ends, great inside player. Great long term choice to add to this group. All he needs is outside shooters and a PG, and the Mavs have a great set of those. His defense would instantly change the way teams could attack the Mavs.

2nd choice has to be Shaq, in spite of age. You have to think he would bring at least a couple titles before he calls it quits. Others are younger, but other than Duncan he would be the only "sure thing" title-wise, if added.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
NastyNash13

NastyNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Fantasy Question: Which Center Would You Pick?

Big Ben can grab boards and play D, but i gotta go with jermaine oneal because hes young can score and run and thats what dallas loves, but always gets 11 rebounds and 2.5 blocks a game so that's a step up from anyone we have now in all catagories
NastyNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

This team with wouldn't be the team everyone thinks it'd be with Shaq. His inside game will leave our shooters cold a lot of the time. Nobody but Dirk and Jamison would be very good with him on this team.

Give me Dampier or Wallace.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

the reason why I would take ben instead of duncan, shaq or o'neal is that I wouldn't want someone to come in and take over the team. that would mess up the chemistry. ben would probably slow down the game a bit, but look at those rebounds and blocks... btw I couldn't stand to watch shaq throwing those pitiful attempts from the line (he just made 3 for 15 in Philly)

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

My first choice would be Duncan, no question. This team could benefit from a low-post presence on offense (JO doesn't really provide that, and Ben definitely doesn't, though I'd still take either), and those don't come much better than TD. Also, TD, unlike Shaq, doesn't have to be within 3 feet of the rim to make a shot, so he wouldn't just clog up the middle like the big purple dinosaur.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #7
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

Who would I choose? Shaq of course. He is the most dominating player in the league. He wouldn't make the other shooters cold, he would leave them wide open to nail jumpers all day long.

Who fits in best with the mav's? I would say Brad Miller, or Yao Ming. Both of them have the size to guard the centers in the West, and can play most of the game. Miller is the best passing big man in the league and would not bog down the offense and would allow the mavs to trade A. Walker. Ming can also pass well for a center, is 7-5 which Nelson would love to keep using for the zone defense, and can actually finish on the offensive end.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Didn't see Duncan on the list, but he would definitely be my choice. For my money, he's simply the best player in the game.
Shaq would be 2, and probably 1 if it weren't for my own dislike for him and questions about his work ethic, injuries, and age. When healthy and motivated, he's easily the most dominant player in the league.
I would take Jermaine next. He'll do nothing but get better.
Yao would be next. He's got a good shot to pass Jermaine, but I worry that he doesn't have the type of personality to reach his potential. I keep thinking a better, more talented Rik Smits.
Finally, Brad Miller. He's been better than I thought he would be. He can do a little bit of everything and would really help this team. I still think he's out of his league with these guys though.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:18 AM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yao would fit in like a dream for the Mavs. His burgeoning shot-blocking, rebounding, and versatile scoring ability, and most of all, his commitment to passing the ball within a set offense, would fit in perfectly on a Don Nelson team.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

My choice: Duncan (best post player in the league)

Who would fit the mavs best: Duncan (would add offense in the post and pass to 3-pt shooters from the post)

Shaq is dominant, but Duncan has more years. Ben has almost no offense (and Dallas will need some post-up offense at times). The rest are just inferior to Duncan (period).

My second choice: Kevin Garnett (best all-around bigman in the league)

Second best to fit the mavs: Garnett (same reason as Duncan)
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

1. Duncan - Better than Shaq right now IMO and much younger
2. Garnet - Super athelte, still you, teamed with Dirk would be a nightmare
3. Yao - While not completely dominating now, has lots of potential and has youth
4. Jermaine - Youth, nice skills

All 4 of my top choices could easily fit in our offense and have youth

5. Shaq - Still dominates, but doesn't have too much left in the tank with the attitude and work ethics he has. Also we would need major changes to our offense.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

1) Duncan- Best low post player in theleague.
2)KG - Most talented all around player in the NBA. Tremendous heart
3) Shaq- Still the most dominating force in basketball.
4) Yao - Not as dominant as you'd like but is good as of now and still possesses tons of potential.
5) J O'neal- tremendous low post player both offensively and defensively. Has good size to compete in the West
6) B Wallace- Extremely tough and physical player with tremendous abilty on the defensive end. Size is an issue.
7) B Miller- Good size, good passing skills, physical.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

1. Big Ben
2. Theo
3. Dampier
4. Miller

All of the other centers need to score to be happy as well. Shaq cries if he doesnt get the ball. Duncan and Yao wouldnt work with the offense that we run cuz there to slow, and J.O. left Portland to become a star, why would he want to come with the Dirty One. Any center that is comitted to defense I'll take. We Dont need any more offense.
Quote:
Dallas v. Detroit NBA Finals