Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Does your kid do drugs?

I saw this in my April 1 copy of Rolling Stone and my jaw dropped:

The following was reported in the "stars pick the DVDs" feature of this month's Rolling Stone. It is a quote from Craig Nichols, of the rock band the Vines, who apparently really likes the movie The Doors. It was not followed up with any contrarian analysis from the magazine, just thrown out there for any kid to read and interpret on his/her own.

Quote:

I think anyone encouraging people to take LSD is a great thing. 'cause I'm doing it all the time. It's important to open minds - not kinda destroy them, but open them. But if you keep opening them up, something bad is going to happen. Don't take acid every day of your life and expect everything to fall into place
I haven't seen any uproar in the conservative circles over this quote, it's something I came across myself. I think it has been overlooked most likely because the people who would be offended by it don't read Rolling Stone. Well, I read Rolling Stone, and I'm pretty offended. I think it's absolutely criminal to put this kind of information in front of kids with no opposing viewpoints. If I were a lawyer, I'd be on the phone to every single mother who has a dead kid, who's kid has lost mental functions, or is in rehab because of LSD, and encourage them to sue the shit out of Wenner LLC, Rolling Stone's publisher.

BTW - the article was placed directly next to a full page ad for milk, featuring a pre-teen rocker with a milk mustache ( I don't know her name, and the ad doesn't specify). Apparently, Rolling stone thinks rockers can sell drugs to kids as well as milk.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Rolling Stone reccommends LSD to open your mind

you don't need that kind of stuff to expand your mind, and personally I'm infuriated by the perpetuation of the myth among musicians that you need that kind of stuff to be creative. You want to expand your mind, spin "Bitches Brew" a few times. That's all you need.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Rolling Stone reccommends LSD to open your mind

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
you don't need that kind of stuff to expand your mind, and personally I'm infuriated by the perpetuation of the myth among musicians that you need that kind of stuff to be creative. You want to expand your mind, spin "Bitches Brew" a few times. That's all you need.

Yah, cuz as we all know, none of the musicians involved with creating this album, used, indulged in or endorsed the use of chemical substances. Ever. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In the words of Bill Maher

" I've never used heroin, I would never recommend heroin to my friends, but it hasn't exactly hurt my record collection."

Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rolling Stone reccommends LSD to open your mind

wow. that is very unfortunate.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Hmmm....anything might help Mad....let's not rush to judgment on our old friend.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:59 AM   #6
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I saw this in my April 1 copy of Rolling Stone and my jaw dropped:

The following was reported in the "stars pick the DVDs" feature of this month's Rolling Stone. It is a quote from Craig Nichols, of the rock band the Vines, who apparently really likes the movie The Doors. It was not followed up with any contrarian analysis from the magazine, just thrown out there for any kid to read and interpret on his/her own.

Quote:

I think anyone encouraging people to take LSD is a great thing. 'cause I'm doing it all the time. It's important to open minds - not kinda destroy them, but open them. But if you keep opening them up, something bad is going to happen. Don't take acid every day of your life and expect everything to fall into place
I haven't seen any uproar in the conservative circles over this quote, it's something I came across myself. I think it has been overlooked most likely because the people who would be offended by it don't read Rolling Stone. Well, I read Rolling Stone, and I'm pretty offended. I think it's absolutely criminal to put this kind of information in front of kids with no opposing viewpoints. If I were a lawyer, I'd be on the phone to every single mother who has a dead kid, who's kid has lost mental functions, or is in rehab because of LSD, and encourage them to sue the shit out of Wenner LLC, Rolling Stone's publisher.

BTW - the article was placed directly next to a full page ad for milk, featuring a pre-teen rocker with a milk mustache ( I don't know her name, and the ad doesn't specify). Apparently, Rolling stone thinks rockers can sell drugs to kids as well as milk.

I'm no advocate of even recreational drug use (personal decisions for each person) But Rolling Stone is hardly endorsing it. The most you could do is get parents riled up to keep their kids from buying a record by a band that supports LSD use. If this sort of thing offends you, maybe you shouldn't be reading rolling stone either. I recommend college republicans monthly.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote