Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Im a noob to DVDR (DVD+r)

I got a cheap burner (the iLo) and I'm getting Dishnetwork with League Pass on Saturday. I plan on recording all the Mavs games on DVD standard, instead of the old VHS that I have that have deteriorated significantly.

My question is, if Im going to just put the DVD disc in the recorder and record (although maybe pause over commercials), I can just buy DVDR, right? And more importantly, what is the deal with speed? I'm thinking about just buying a 100 pack so that I can get all 82 regular season games, any preseason games and all playoff games, so 100 should do. Im reading reviews on my favorite website and supposedly Ridata makes decent DVDs for cheap and their 100 pack is only 40$. For Five dollars more I can get 8x DVDs, and for 70$ I can get Fuji discs (all DVD+r 4.7gig)

What would you reccomend? Will I see the difference in speed from a tv-top DVD burner? Any reccomendations on media? Don't DVDRs that record straight from TV just burn single speed?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Im a noob to DVDR (DVD+r)

I'm not too experienced when it comes to all that DVR stuff. Although, I do have dish so if you get this to work be sure and let us know what you did.

Anyway, as far as media goes. In my experience SLOW BURNS give me the best results. If I have 8x dvds and I burn them at 8x there is always some problems. BUT - if I use 8x media and burn it at 4x, never a problem. I always burn everything at half the speed it's rated for. Even if that means waiting til I get ready to go to sleep to start it.

For your purposes, I'd probably recommend www.shop4tech.com. I just received my first order from them. I got 100 DVDs and 100 DVD cases for @$50. So far I've "tested" 4 movies with their cheapo media and it seems to just work AWESOME.

Here's a good place to read up on that cheap shop4tech media...this is where I found out about it anyway: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...keyword1=sonic
Good LUCK!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Im a noob to DVDR (DVD+r)

Not a bad deal, Ocelot. I actually would like the cases so I can print out information like date, game, quarter-by-quarter score, significant stats (Dirk's first consecutive 50 point games, etc),etc

You thought my old avatar was a school teacher! It was a librarian. I love organization...something about being a Virgo. I just want to have a copy of every Mav game, sorted by date, with data listed on each one so I can look up all the gamewinners, all the games of dominance, etc.

Do you burn from your computer or do you have a DVDr device hooked up to your TV?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I use my computer. What DVR are you getting for Dish? I'm going to be getting League Pass and now that you're talking about this...I really want to do it too!!!

Yeah, I'm a neat freak too. That's why I bought the cases. I have a LOT of "backed up" movies and they were just becoming an eyesore.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I guess it's officially a "DVR" as in "digital video recorder" but it's just a 150$ DVD+r/RW burner I got at Walmart. I can't really program it to record stuff, (unless I set the channel on the Satellite receiver before I go out) because it doesnt have a satellite receiver built in- just a tv tuner, so it's like having a VCR hooked up to a cable box or digital cable receiver- it has programming to record for a year but it can't even see the channels without the satellite box, so I can set it to record a program one year from now, but it won't be able to access the content without me manually turning it on.

but it works and for 200$ I'm getting the burner and 100 DVD+r discs, so I can't complain.

It has an S-Video in/out on it though so you can input directly from your TiVo or whatever to record material that you saved that way.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:56 AM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Oh...I see now. I guess I could have just clicked your link in the first post. Good luck
Old 10-07-2004, 02:48 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

so, anyone able to asnwer my question? What speed does a TV-based DVDR burn at and can I save money by buying 4x instead of 8x DVDs?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So a DVDR is only a replacement for a VCR recorder, right? It cannot time-shift like TiVO can. I haven't purchased TiVo becuase I cannot stand the thought of paying a subscription for a channel guide for goodness sakes. If I could have the TiVo functions, pause live TV for example I would just as soon do it with a one-time purchased device.

Anyhope there or do I have to get a channel guide and pay ransoms?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
So a DVDR is only a replacement for a VCR recorder, right? It cannot time-shift like TiVO can. I haven't purchased TiVo becuase I cannot stand the thought of paying a subscription for a channel guide for goodness sakes. If I could have the TiVo functions, pause live TV for example I would just as soon do it with a one-time purchased device.

Anyhope there or do I have to get a channel guide and pay ransoms?
If you have DishNetwork there is one receiver that doesn't require the monthly rental. The Dish 508 (there may be more) does NOT require a monthly charge. Alternatively, the 501 and 510 do. Go figure.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can invest in the greatness of a Media Center PC.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Or you can invest in the greatness of a Media Center PC.
Yea I'm sort of thinking that route.. I'm wondering if I could build one??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Yea I'm sort of thinking that route.. I'm wondering if I could build one??
I guess if you are a reseller. You can't buy XP Media Edition in a shrink wrap version. Only bundled on a PC. I know that if you build your own XP machine you can take it to a Microsoft registered reseller and they will install the new OS for you.

That is one drawback to XP Media Edition...... Microsoft thinks the common consumer can't figure it out.... maybe that's true in some cases, but I doubt that is the case for the majority... and certainly not so for someone like myself and others that spend 60+ hours a week using the OS'es they spit out.

You could just wait for Linux Media Edition. They may even already have one.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #13
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
so, anyone able to asnwer my question? What speed does a TV-based DVDR burn at and can I save money by buying 4x instead of 8x DVDs?
I use Ridata DVD-R 4x on my Toshiba DVR, and it works fine. I am pretty sure it should work on yours too, though I suggest you get a 5-pack or single disk to test it out before you buy in bulk.

Ridata is pretty good, I have DVDs going back two years, and not one of them has lost data.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I remember last year when we had Dish Network. It came with a DVR. No worry about a monthly fee or anything. Never missed a Mavs game. We switched over to Comcast to purchase a cable modem along with the cable television and man do I miss pausing live TV lol. Never missed a show or anything.

Quote:
I haven't purchased TiVo becuase I cannot stand the thought of paying a subscription for a channel guide for goodness sakes.
I'm with you on this. It just pains me to think about paying for a device monthly that I was using for free with Dish Network.

Quote:
If I could have the TiVo functions, pause live TV for example I would just as soon do it with a one-time purchased device.
Are there any out there other than the one Dish Network gives for free?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Dish Network is not free, it's like 3.99/month DVR fee, unless there's some offer I don't know about with a different receiver. I have Dish and their DVR receiver and it's quite excellent really. I wouldn't worry too much about media speed as you'll be recording it in real time (1x ) so it doesn't matter much.

About the HTPC: I'm currently thinking of building one as I have an Athlon 64 3500+ and a 6800GT with VIVO capabilities sitting around and about a gig of ram, now I just need one of those 300GB HDD's..... or two. Often cases which are tailored for the HTPC market come with remotes controls and even software that does some things that the Windows Media Center does.

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-17-2005 at 02:59 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote