Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #41
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Should the Political Arena and politics in general be banned from d-m.com?

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Thank you, Max, for taking time out of what I'm sure is a busy day to do the research.

However, based on the examples cited, while at least one is clearly out of context, and ambiguous at best, it does not appear that there is any evidence of an elevated coefficient of snippiness in the other forums.
Did you even look at the two Kobe threads in the NBA section?

Quote:
On the contrary, it these offerings are typical of the roughest exchanges to be found, it would appear far more plausible to posit that the Policital Arena is having a benign effect on the other forums in that it provides the fiestier participants of the site a safety valve from which to vent their aggressive posting tendencies before wandering off into the far-less trafficked forums of the site.
Again the Kobe threads are pretty bad. There were so many nasty posts in it that I didn't bother to go through them. There are also bad threads in the Mavs section but I didn't have time to look for them. Honestly I picked the two easiest sections to look through and were still a lot more nasty posts than I expected.

Quote:
You should certainly not allow the rejection of your thesis to dampen your enthusiasm and passion for research endeavors of this nature. In any case, from what I understand, it would appear to be a moot issue, since the decision appears to have been made to reserve the Political Arena for the fiestier intellects of Dallas-mavs.com.
It's not really their decision. The decision is in the hands of one man - dj (you know, the actual owner of the site). The moderators are consulted I'm sure but the decision is dj's because he bears the financial obligation of maintaining the site.

Now there could be a case made that the people who have made financial contributions to the site should have some say in the matter but that would leave you out, wouldn't it?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Should the Political Arena and politics in general be banned from d-m.com?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I haven't heard one compelling reason for the removal of the Political Arena. If people do not enjoy that part of the board, just don't go to it. It's not carrying over to the rest of the board in any obvious manner. If there's some snippiness going on here at d-m.com in other sections, it's more likely due to it being the slow days of the off-season.
Here are a few examples from THIS month. I haven't checked the Lounge or the Mavs section.

Quote:
TRADE FOLDER
Thursday September 02, 2004 8:09 PM
That was easier than saying anything constructive! Thanks (name withheld)!

Thursday September 09, 2004 8:45 PM
Yawn... Whatever (name withheld)... Of course, this all goes back to the reading thing, huh??? Yawn...

Thursday September 09, 2004 4:01 PM
Wow... You must feel pretty silly right now huh???

Thursday September 09, 2004 10:05 AM
See... This is what I mean... You guys dont read carefully enough before you post...

Thursday September 09, 2004 8:35 AM
it WAS one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

Thursday September 09, 2004 0:52 AM
Is that why I can tell you I think you're wrong, only for you to repeat the same bullshit over and over and over again?
KEEP TO THE TOPIC AND LAY OFF THE PERSONAL INSULTS - Dallas-Mavs.com Mod

Wednesday September 08, 2004 7:44 PM
I don't get what makes (name withheld)'s post "one of the stupidest things YOU'VE ever heard." For that matter, your post has its fair share of stupid comments that should be pointed out...

Friday September 17, 2004 2:08 PM
have you ever considered knitting as a pasttime?

AROUND THE NBA
Almost every other post in the "SI article misleading if not outright false. Entire police interview is out in text." thread

Almost every other post in the "Judge dismisses the case against Kobe." thread.

Thursday September 23, 2004 7:11 PM
Lame, but what would you expect.

Saturday September 25, 2004 5:50 PM
what idiot took the time to write that

Friday September 24, 2004 12:14 PM
This thread is gay.

Monday September 13, 2004 8:14 AM
(name withheld) Your signature is the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time. I feel pretty sorry for you, if that is your way of looking at politics...
MaxPower, I agree that some of the things said in that forum are unacceptable. However, is not the fault of the forum or the idea of the forum. It is the fault of the posters.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #43
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Now there could be a case made that the people who have made financial contributions to the site should have some say in the matter but that would leave you out, wouldn't it?
Incorrect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
On the contrary, it these offerings are typical of the roughest exchanges to be found, it would appear far more plausible to posit that the Policital Arena is having a benign effect on the other forums in that it provides the fiestier participants of the site a safety valve from which to vent their aggressive posting tendencies before wandering off into the far-less trafficked forums of the site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again the Kobe threads are pretty bad. There were so many nasty posts in it that I didn't bother to go through them. There are also bad threads in the Mavs section but I didn't have time to look for them. Honestly I picked the two easiest sections to look through and were still a lot more nasty posts than I expected.
No evidence is presented that posts in the alluded-to Kobe threads are any worse post-Political Arena (hereinafter 'PA2') than discusssions of Mr. Bryant pre-Political Arena (hereinafter 'PA1'). In order to support such a thesis, a comparison of discussions from both PÁ1 and PA2 epochs would have to be proffered, with a mechanism for assessing nastiness. Nonesuch is offered.

A cursory preliminary analysis offers no evidence that such a line of inquiry would prove fruitful. Indeed, substantial anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the issue of Mr. Bryant's extra-marital conduct has long been a divisive, nay polarizing, issue, pre-dating the creation of a forum dedicated to political discussion.

In addition, this researcher has further substantial anecdotal recolletions of numerous other issues which illicited a series of rather rancorous exchanges, some of which he himself may have participated in.

Conclusion: Based on the examples cited, there is insufficient evidence to support a difference in civility PA1 v. PA2.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #44
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Incorrect.
Ahh - an anonymous donor. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it since there is is insufficient evidence to support the theory that you've donated a dime.

Quote:

Quote:
No evidence is presented that posts in the alluded-to Kobe threads are any worse post-Political Arena (hereinafter 'PA2') than discusssions of Mr. Bryant pre-Political Arena (hereinafter 'PA1'). In order to support such a thesis, a comparison of discussions from both PÁ1 and PA2 epochs would have to be proffered, with a mechanism for assessing nastiness. Nonesuch is offered.

A cursory preliminary analysis offers no evidence that such a line of inquiry would prove fruitful. Indeed, substantial anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the issue of Mr. Bryant's extra-marital conduct has long been a divisive, nay polarizing, issue, pre-dating the creation of a forum dedicated to political discussion.

In addition, this researcher has further substantial anecdotal recolletions of numerous other issues which illicited a series of rather rancorous exchanges, some of which he himself may have participated in.

Conclusion: Based on the examples cited, there is insufficient evidence to support a difference in civility PA1 v. PA2.
I've done research that shows the board is not being civil in other areas. I see no reason to do further research just to satisfy you. I can't imagine that anything would change your mind.

But obviously there are quite a few people who believe politics aren't appropriate on this board. Why don't you explain that?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually believe that the rest of the board is more civil than usual since the inception of the Political Arena. Perhaps it's just coincidence....maybe so..maybe no. But, I don't think that anyone could argue that the 'other sports' forum is anything other than less verbally abusive over the past couple of months...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #46
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Incorrect.

Ahh - an anonymous donor. I guess I'll just have to take your word for it since there is is insufficient evidence to support the theory that you've donated a dime.[b]

I say this as civilly as I can, but if I were to produce a PayPal receipt verifying a donation, would you permanently adjourn to Mavstalk?

<u>Better yet, would you care to match the donation, dollar-for-dollar?</u>

I offer you this dare as an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is, not just so you won't look like a jackass, but just as a civil, sporting gesture; half of a gentlemen's bet, if you will.

You have made a rather radical, some might even contend 'hysterical', proposition; namely the elimination of a forum that generates an immense amount of traffic to the site.

It is therefore incumbent upon you to produce conclusive evidence that such a move is warranted. So far, you have not, and it is my opinion, that you will be unable to.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #47
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Fellas.... chill a little.

The political forum is not going away, if for no other reason than to serve as a black hole for negativity that would otherwise end up in the Lounge.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #48
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
I say this as civilly as I can, but if I were to produce a PayPal receipt verifying a donation, would you permanently adjourn to Mavstalk?

Better yet, would you care to match the donation, dollar-for-dollar?
I've been here awhile - I'm not leaving.

I will match any reasonable donation (up to $50 or so). I'd go higher but I do have a sick wife and we've had a run of extremely high medical bills recently. Not making excuses, just reality.

Quote:
You have made a rather radical, some might even contend 'hysterical', proposition; namely the elimination of a forum that generates an immense amount of traffic to the site.

It is therefore incumbent upon you to produce conclusive evidence that such a move is warranted. So far, you have not, and it is my opinion, that you will be unable to.
It isn't that radical of a proposition. The board lived for a number of years without the section and in a couple of months it will be dead anyway. It is hardly vital to the well being of dallas-MAVS.com

There aren't more than 10 to 12 people who post in the Political section with any degree of regularity. It isn't THAT busy. Mostly it is the same people posting the same opinions over and over again.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #49
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Should the Political Arena and politics in general be banned from d-m.com?

Total Votes: 34

Yes
17 (votes) 50.00 (%)
No
17 (votes) 50.00 (%)
Deuce.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 PM   #50
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Max, we can settle up via PMs.

A $50 donation will be fine.