Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default Finley to the Suns?

I heard on 103.3 this morning that Phoenix will be VERY interested in adding Finley once he becomes free.
They also said that it came from the Phoenix front office. I thought teams were not suppose to talk about wanting to get certain players from other teams if the player is still under contract. And as far as I know Finley is still the property of the Mavs.

On a side note:

Doesn't is seem odd that a team that has better team than us is dying to get there hands on a player that were dying to get rid of? I understand why the team wants to dump Finley, but I hope they have a solid plan this summer to improve.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default RE: Finley to the Suns?

im sure most teams in the league would love to add a shooter like finley considering its only gonna cost them the vets minimum, i've seen articles about him on chicago, denver and phoenix news sites.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Finley to the Suns?

Will Fin really only take the vet minimum? I have seen several statements to this effect, but I would think he would be offered the MLE.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Filth

Filth is on a distinguished road

It would be better if the mavs could trade him so they know where hes goin. I sure dont want to see him on phoenix next year especially after they gave up Q. he should go play for chicago. hed like that and he wouldnt be in the western conference. Phoenix just pisses me off. They annoy me to no end cuz of their arrogance. they were sure uppety for a team that didnt even make the finals. Id almost not waive fin just so they couldnt have him if I was cuban.
Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #5
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Doesn't is seem odd that a team that has better team than us is dying to get there hands on a player that were dying to get rid of?
Dallas is dying to get rid of him for his contract, not as much for his playing. Phoenix would not touch finley with his present contract, they are dying to get him the MLE. If Dallas could keep Finley at the MLE (instead of his curent price) they would in a heartbeat.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
hed like that and he wouldnt be in the western conference
I think Finley would rather go to Pheonix because it would improve his chances at a title. It's also where his career took off from. He'll retire before Chicago is a contender.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix is also the place where he could stick it to cubes, like his bud nash did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Blonde: if you use google (or scan realgm, hoopshype, insidehoops) and type in Fin's name, you'll see papers from Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, Minnesota, Orlando, Boston, Miami, Houston, Chicago, and Portland along with Phoenix mention that the teams will have interest in Fin once he's waived.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
Quote:
Doesn't is seem odd that a team that has better team than us is dying to get there hands on a player that were dying to get rid of?
Dallas is dying to get rid of him for his contract, not as much for his playing. Phoenix would not touch finley with his present contract, they are dying to get him the MLE. If Dallas could keep Finley at the MLE (instead of his curent price) they would in a heartbeat.

If Dallas kept Fin it's very possible that it might cost them LESS than the MLE versus cutting him. The Mavs are guarranteed no savings whatsoever in cutting Fin.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #10
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

I have a feeling that Fin is going to wind up in Pheonix.

It will REALLY be Dirk's team then.

But Finley is a scary good fit for Phoenix.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
I heard on 103.3 this morning that Phoenix will be VERY interested in adding Finley once he becomes free.
They also said that it came from the Phoenix front office. I thought teams were not suppose to talk about wanting to get certain players from other teams if the player is still under contract. And as far as I know Finley is still the property of the Mavs.

On a side note:

Doesn't is seem odd that a team that has better team than us is dying to get there hands on a player that were dying to get rid of? I understand why the team wants to dump Finley, but I hope they have a solid plan this summer to improve.
Not sure BB, but I think the rule applies to talking about imminent free agents and the desire to sign them.

Finley is NOT a free agent, so I don't think it is against any collective bargaining agreement to say "Hey, if that player is cut we would love to sign him for the vet minimum."

Old 06-30-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

So let's say Finley does go to the Suns. Suns have already added Kurt Thomas and Michael Finley. The Mavs are already behind this offseason.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #13
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
If Dallas kept Fin it's very possible that it might cost them LESS than the MLE versus cutting him. The Mavs are guarranteed no savings whatsoever in cutting Fin.
This is true, at least in some sense. I also might win the lottery (although it would help is I bought a ticket). It seems reasonable to me to believe that, at least when it comes to money matters, Mark Cuban has sought things through. If it wasn't reasonably certain that there would be a tax next year, then Cuban (and other NBA owners) wouldn't be so eager to cut these players.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #14
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Is Cuban planning to buy the Suns?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
So let's say Finley does go to the Suns. Suns have already added Kurt Thomas and Michael Finley. The Mavs are already behind this offseason.

It's not looking good.. The Spurs are the Spurs, Phoenix looks to improve right off the bat, Houston will be in the market for a SPG. Lets hope Devin takes a HUGE step this offseason.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They loss QRich, next year's first round pick, and Joe Johnson have not resigned yet.

Not to mention, the offseason is like a week old.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM   #17
Hitman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Quote:
This is true, at least in some sense. I also might win the lottery (although it would help is I bought a ticket). It seems reasonable to me to believe that, at least when it comes to money matters, Mark Cuban has sought things through. If it wasn't reasonably certain that there would be a tax next year, then Cuban (and other NBA owners) wouldn't be so eager to cut these players.
Yeah, I think Cuban is well versed on matters involving his OWN money.

I know the deal with my own money, and I am sure the same is with Cuban.

He ain't cuting Finley unless it effects his bank account.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

And someone argued that the Suns couldn't improve this offseason. HA!

The truth is that the rest of the conference is adding talent and the Mavs are dumping it. It used to be said that the reason the Mavs would ALWAYS be competitive is because Mark Cuban was willing to spend money to get Dallas a championship. Now after losing Nash, Finley and Bradley purely to line Cuban's pockets, we see the truth.

Cuban is a bad owner in every aspect. He makes poor decisions. He puts his bank account ahead of the goodwill of the team. And he's an annoying loudmouth bastard that gets on everyone's nerves. Everyone knows he was a winner in the internet boom. Everyone will soon see that he's a loser in sports ownership. It's time to ship this has-been out.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs lost Nash because he would have cost Mark (a lot) of extra money.

The Mavs are losing Bradley because of injuries.

And the jury is still out on exactly why the Mavs are losing Fin - it's either to line Cuban's pockets, and/or to redistribute the money in a way that better helps the team. We won't know one way or another at least until the season starts.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take losing 30+ year olds, injury prone, overpaid, past their prime players and developing young players while staying competitive any day.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #21
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
And someone argued that the Suns couldn't improve this offseason. HA!

The truth is that the rest of the conference is adding talent and the Mavs are dumping it. It used to be said that the reason the Mavs would ALWAYS be competitive is because Mark Cuban was willing to spend money to get Dallas a championship. Now after losing Nash, Finley and Bradley purely to line Cuban's pockets, we see the truth.

Cuban is a bad owner in every aspect. He makes poor decisions. He puts his bank account ahead of the goodwill of the team. And he's an annoying loudmouth bastard that gets on everyone's nerves. Everyone knows he was a winner in the internet boom. Everyone will soon see that he's a loser in sports ownership. It's time to ship this has-been out.
I think Bradley's departure has got you in a funk.

Think through this. The Suns didn't improve this offseason until we saw what they got in return. If they don't add Finley, then they didn't improve thier SG spot.

We don't know if this team is improved until we open next season and all transactions are done. Cuban has improved this team every year (except when he added Walker, but he fixed that).
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
I'd take losing 30+ year olds, injury prone, overpaid, past their prime players and developing young players while staying competitive any day.
It remains to be seen if we can stay as competitive without Fin as we were with him. And with a healthy Fin this year, we probably could have been much more competitive. Throwing good talent, even if overpriced, away for no talent in return is never a desireable situation for improving or even maintaining one's competitiveness. In fact it has the smell of rebuilding.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #23
alby
Guru

True we are relying more so than in recent years in our young players to develop and play an important role on our team, but just like any other year, we still have veterans on this team that we know will give you what they've been giving their whole careers.

Dirk is a year older
Jet has a year of playing with a winning team under his belt
Stack
Van Horn
Damp

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

and none of that makes up for the fact that we've decided to give away a big piece of our talent for nothing in return talentwise.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #25
alby
Guru

You have to sacrifice some things for other things. The loss of Finley may push a guy like Marquis to be someone very good.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

Quote:
You have to sacrifice some things for other things. The loss of Finley may push a guy like Marquis to be someone very good.
The likelyhood that Marquis would develop into a good player if and only if Finley goes is extremely small. That's a sucker bet. Who knows Josh Howard might develop into the next Michael Jordan if we cut Dirk, or DJ might become the next Hakeem if we cut Damp, or if we cut Terry and Harris and go get some 3rd string college player who just graduated then maybe he could develop into the next Jason Kidd.

In this case the Mavs don't have to sacrifice Fin for anything except saving Cuban, who's already richer than snot, some money.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
... so you're in favor of cutting Erick Dampier?

Yeah, me too.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
They loss QRich, next year's first round pick, and Joe Johnson have not resigned yet.

Not to mention, the offseason is like a week old.
The loss of Q-Rich isn't nothing. They gained Kurt Thomas and potentially Finley in return. Joe Johnson is respected to resign.

1996-2005
Old 06-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

It's not looking good.. The Spurs are the Spurs, Phoenix looks to improve right off the bat, Houston will be in the market for a SPG. Lets hope Devin takes a HUGE step this offseason.

I honestly think the Rockets are just 1 player away from being something serious. Jason Williams would have so much fun with T-Mac and Yao Ming it would be ridiculous. There should be better options at the point but I expect them to get what they need this offseason.

1996-2005
Old 06-30-2005, 03:55 PM   #30
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

The fun part of White Chocolate playing in Houston would be Jeff Van Gundy's head exploding every night.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:01 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yea, sort of like when Eddie Jones left the Lakers and Kobe showed that he can play in this league. Oh nevermind. Kobe made the All Star team while backing up Eddie Jones. Finley is not the one stopping Marquis' progress. Its Marquis himself. Getting more playing time will not prevent your shot from hitting the front of the rim all game long.

1996-2005
Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #32
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yea, sort of like when Eddie Jones left the Lakers and Kobe showed that he can play in this league. Oh nevermind. Kobe made the All Star team while backing up Eddie Jones. Finley is not the one stopping Marquis' progress. Its Marquis himself. Getting more playing time will not prevent your shot from hitting the front of the rim all game long.

I agree...Finley leaving does not mean Quissy will shake out of it. Also, I agree with you on Houston. If we stay pat then Houston will add the pieces this summer to leap frog us..
Old 06-30-2005, 05:31 PM   #33
alby
Guru

Quote:
Quote:

He made the team as a starter, aka fan base popularity.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #34
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
The likelyhood that Marquis would develop into a good player if and only if Finley goes is extremely small. That's a sucker bet. Who knows Josh Howard might develop into the next Michael Jordan if we cut Dirk, or DJ might become the next Hakeem if we cut Damp, or if we cut Terry and Harris and go get some 3rd string college player who just graduated then maybe he could develop into the next Jason Kidd.

In this case the Mavs don't have to sacrifice Fin for anything except saving Cuban, who's already richer than snot, some money.
the most important thing, real game minutes would be sacrificed.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #35
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

I don't think it is a big loss if we lose Finley. He played like utter shit in the playoffs as he has the last 3 years. Thanks forall your good service but keeping/losing Finley is not the key to us winning a championship.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 PM   #36
madape
Diamond Member

Finley has done more for this team in the playoffs than just about any Maverick ever has. We know he was injured last year. We know he's capable of ripping bitches up at any time.

I don't understand why fans have turned on this guy. I also don't understand the blind loyalty to Erick Dampier who has been to the playoffs exactly once in his life and was utterly embarassed for 13 games. He was a national laughing stock.

How can anyone think that this pile of shit is a "key to winning a championship", and then advocate throwing Michael Finley away like garbage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope that the Suns pick Finley up and he and Nash win their rings. They deserve it.

This franchise.. this owner... deserve nothing but scorn. Fuck Mark Cuban.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #37
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Losing Finley won't be a big deal at all. This guy is a no show in playoff, overpaid whinner. I had a lot of confidence in Marquis and Stack in replacing him. We don't need anything in return for his sorry ass
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I don't understand why fans have turned on this guy. I also don't understand the blind loyalty to Erick Dampier who has been to the playoffs exactly once in his life and was utterly embarassed for 13 games. He was a national laughing stock.

How can anyone think that this pile of shit is a "key to winning a championship", and then advocate throwing Michael Finley away like garbage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hope that the Suns pick Finley up and he and Nash win their rings. They deserve it.

This franchise.. this owner... deserve nothing but scorn. Fuck Mark Cuban.
(sigh)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #39
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

maybe madape needs to move to phoenix. What a bunch of bullshit you just said. Cuban is one of the main reason that the mavs is one of the elite team in the nba. The mavs would be like the Hawks, and Clippers if Ross Perot Jr. and companies still the owners. Stop your whinning or else you could be Finley number 2

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #40
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

I'm glad my views are directly opposite of madapes as most MFFL's are. Go root for the spurs you fair-weathered, clueless bum.