Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to be a watershed moment in the NBA, maybe American pro sports. I hope the Mavs don't lose their pick over this (BTW hasn't been rumored whatsoever, purely speculation on my part).
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
This is going to be a watershed moment in the NBA, maybe American pro sports. I hope the Mavs don't lose their pick over this (BTW hasn't been rumored whatsoever, purely speculation on my part).
I get why the Pats lost a pick when Brady deflated those footballs -- it was a player who broke the rules, so the squad (in addition to the franchise) was punished in the form of a lost draft pick. Although the Pats had 9 picks in that draft, so taking one away wasn't exactly going to kill them... But you take away the Mavs pick, and you're pretty much going to cripple the careers of guys like Harrison Barnes and Dennis Smith Jr, who had absolutely nothing to do with this scandal.

Even if the league took a second-rounder, that inadvertently punishes a draft prospect, as it reduces the number of drafted players from 60 to 59. It's a lot trickier to punish teams via picks in the NBA than in the NFL, where there's 224 players getting drafted (not including compensatory picks and whatnot).

Nah, I could see fines levied, but taking a pick seems like overkill in this case... Especially since players weren't involved.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote