Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all
Post Should Deaven Be On This List???

Free-agent duds: Thankfully for league, not a 'strong' class
Aug. 11, 2006
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer
Tell Tony your opinion!

Maybe general managers are getting smarter these days, but there were no really bad contracts handed out this offseason. Erick Dampier isn't getting a gazillion dollars. Perhaps it's the Adonal Foyle factor. Front offices have seen the high level of stupidity their bidding wars are capable of breeding.

With Peja's numbers on the decline, isn't five years, $64 million a little generous for the swingman? (Getty Images)
That said, there are always transactions worth first-guessing, and I've come up with 10, as was required by the theme established earlier this week. Ten breakouts. Ten bargains. Ten bonehead moves. Step forward and claim your duds.

1. Peja Stojakovic, New Orleans/Oklahoma City: He's not entirely a free-agent acquisition, but that's only because the Hornets were very kind to Indiana, sending over a $7.5 million trade exception after the fact in what was perceived as an effort to keep Al Harrington out of the Western Conference. Whatever.

The bottom line is Stojakovic signed a five-year deal worth $64 million. That's a lot of money. That's excessive money for a swingman who has consistently missed at least 10 games in four of the past five seasons and had a scoring average that was plummeting until a late resurgence with the Pacers.

I can understand the Hornets' desire to grab a top-tier scoring wing to complement Chris Paul and David West, but for the money they spent on Stojakovic, they could've grabbed either Harrington or Bonzi Wells. I'd rather have either, considering both could help undersized David West on the boards. Neither is the perimeter threat Stojakovic is, but both are more likely to stay healthy.

I can't imagine Stojakovic midway through this deal, at 31 going on 50, being a healthy contributor earning this immense salary. I wish both Stojakovic and the Hornets luck, but recent history points to a salary they'll ultimately be stuck trying to unload. Worst case scenario, he's Allan Houston. Best case? It might be cynical, but I see him as a Toni Kukoc type.

2. Matt Harpring, Utah: He called his four-year, $25 million re-signing "a dream come true," and I can imagine why. There's nobody in the league who deserves more respect than Harpring, who has overcome a severe ankle injury and blowing out his knee to be a steady contributor, but this new deal is extremely generous.

His contract will take him up through the age of 34, and although he's invaluable to the Jazz from a leadership standpoint, the return of Carlos Boozer and presence of Andrei Kirilenko diminishes his role. His scoring average has dipped in each of the four years he has been in Utah. While I admire loyalty, Harpring will be making an average of over $6 million per season, which in the latter half of the deal will become a financial drain.

3. Reggie Evans, TBD: He wants the mid-level of exception of $5.2 million to return to Denver or head elsewhere. Anyone who gives that amount of money to him will look foolish. This is another player I admire. He works with what he's got, not allowing being undersized to keep him off the boards. He's a steady defender. Whatever his team needs, be it a timely pick or an unnoticed box out, Evans is willing to do it. But is that worth the amount of money he's asking for? Absolutely not.

He serves his purpose and is an asset, but that's what is wrong with the NBA pay scale. Role players should not be earning over $5 million per season. Give him three seasons at $10 million, a sum no one would scoff at, and call it a day. If Evans holds out for more, and if someone is willing to pay him, more power to him. Don't let it be you, though.

4. John Salmons, Sacramento: Coming off his best season, the versatile wing was a hot commodity this offseason. Toronto thought it had him, only to see him back out and head out west. Personally, I think the Raptors would've been a better fit. I just don't see the Kings getting back enough for their investment of five years, $25 million.

Why, you ask? Oh, I don't know. Maybe the presence of Ron Artest, Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia? I know what you're thinking. Bonzi Wells rounded out this rotation last year and look what he did. First off, Salmons is no Bonzi. He's nowhere near as aggressive. He's a much better passer, but that's about it. Wells turned down a little more than what Salmons is getting -- burning his bridge with the Kings -- but I feel the organization jumped the gun to replace him, signing Salmons to a longer deal than he merited given the arsenal of wings already on the roster.

5. Keith Van Horn, TBD: At last check, he was fishing in Alaska -- it's his vacation, he can do what he wants -- and planned on meeting with agent David Falk to discuss his future next week. The Nuggets have done some flirting, and there has even been talk of Van Horn hanging it up altogether, although given the interest surrounding him, that seems unlikely.

Call this preventive maintenance in calling him a dud signing, but Van Horn shouldn't get anything but a one-year deal, and I'd be offering the veteran's minimum. He'll barely have turned 31 when the season starts, but he's obviously lost more than just a step over the past couple of seasons, missing 20 or more games. Maybe the climate in Alaska will toughen him up, but I wouldn't be shelling out bucks to find out.

Advertisement

6. Bobby Jackson, New Orleans/Oklahoma City: It's a shame I'm putting another of the good guys on this list, but then again, it's a shame so many of the good guys have been struck by injuries in recent years. Jackson played in over 70 games for the first time since 2001-02 last season but shot a career low 38 percent from the field for the Grizzlies.

He signed a three-year, $17 million deal with the Hornets, stepping in for Speedy Claxton as Chris Paul's backup and occasional backcourt partner. Age plays just as great a role as his apparent diminishing skills in why I don't like the move, as Jackson will be 36 when this deal expires. I'd be surprised if this isn't his final contract, and though I'm rooting for him to make the Hornets look smart, I think they'll need recent signee Jannero Pargo more than they envision.

7. Michael Olowokandi, TBD: Can he fool someone else into giving him more money? He's still out there dangling in the wind, but you know someone will bite. You just know it. If Kwame Brown continues improving, Olowokandi is going to end up as the worst No. 1 pick of the past 15-20 years.

8. Devean George, Dallas: Mark Cuban isn't shy about spending, but handing George a two-year deal worth $4.2 million strikes me as giving money away. The Mavericks already signed one defensive-minded small forward in Greg Buckner, and also have Austin Croshere available to play behind Josh Howard. George does bring championship experience to the table, but little else. Keep in mind, this guy has a career shooting percentage of under 40 percent.

9. Tim Thomas, L.A. Clippers: Thomas was spectacular in last year's playoffs, enjoying a memorable run with the Suns through the Western Conference finals. Over his nine seasons, he has gone from can't-miss superstar to problem child to underachiever to reclamation case.

The Clippers are hoping, as a few other teams have before them, that he has finally turned the corner. Maybe at 29, he's finally mature enough to showcase his vast skills. The deal L.A. handed him (four years, $24 million) isn't overly gaudy, but it's a risk. Will he see enough minutes to maintain a happy demeanor, or will sharing time with Corey Maggette and Quentin Ross lessen his enthusiasm? An apathetic Thomas won't be productive. Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy has to walk a fine line with his latest acquisition.

10. Sean Marks, Phoenix: How many times did we see Pat Burke on the court for any substantial minutes? He was the Suns backup center last year, and remains on the roster. While Amare Stoudemire's health is a concern, he was out all last year, and Phoenix decided to use Boris Diaw at center rather than turn to Burke. Now they add Marks, expecting him to receive at least some token playing time. It's a good thing they signed him for just a year at the veteran's minimum of $932,000, but it still seems like money for very little.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I read as far as "Tony Mejia", laughed, jumped down to bolded section of text, read "defensive-minded small forward in Greg Buckner, and also have Austing Croshere available to play behind Josh Howard", laughed even harder.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Lol, yeah, this guy can't be taken seriously. He's awful.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Well i dont like george or anything but buckner isnt a sf and Croshere isnt either. They could both play there in a pinch but that doesnt mean they are a sf and they eliminate the need for another one.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

George is a perfect pickup but we did pay him a little much. He's a true SF, a vet, a champion, and a guy that won't need minutes to be happy.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

How is $2.1M too much for a player like George? He's all hustle, a pretty good defender, and he can hit shots from downtown.. what's wrong with that? He'll probably be our 8th man or so.. last year we were paying guys like KVH ($15.7) and Quis ($6) to make about the same contribution.. If George is healthy, he's an absolute steal for us.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

1.8 is more like it for a guy that i estimate will play 6mpg, 55games played
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Are we really complaining about 300k???
Old 08-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

not really...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

We might have overpaid a little, but it's still a nice pickup.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

6mpg, 3.5ppg, 1.2rpg, 1.0apg, 0.45spg, 43% FG, 33.4% 3pt, 72% FT

thats my guess...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

we are paying fin like 18 mil this season so there are beigger waste than goerge
Old 08-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I don't think George was a waste. He'll be a solid backup for Jho, can play tough D, has good experience, and can hit the three decently. He was a fine pickup.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

he's a great addition, especially when jho sprains another ankle again

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Not for the price the Mavs paid for him...!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I think Phil wanted DG to end up in Dallas as part of his plan to sabotage the Mavs upcoming season. LOL Naw DG's a good boy, just not consistent enough. But hey, would all this matter if by the end of the season the Mavs win the Championship? Lets all hope that this pays off.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 08-14-2006 at 08:24 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Buckner is a SF?

Anyway this guy is an idiot... george is worth the money even if he plays 5 minutes a game.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

no buck isnt a sf
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #19
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

In spite of this writer's ignorance, Josh Howard was the only experienced Mav tall enough to defend the 3 spot. A Tall 3 like Peja or Detroit's Price would lob shots over Buck or anyone but Josh or Dirk. George fills 2 needs. The other being what Mia had and the Mavs didn't in the Finals. Guys who had gone deep in the playoffs for many years. If they overpaid a little to get him so what. How much would some maturity have been worth in the locker room back in June?

Last edited by G-Man; 08-14-2006 at 11:46 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote