Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #1
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Webber faces the same kind of pressure in Sactown that KG faces in the twin cities. They want him to take over the game in the fourth quarter. No average quarter will do. They both must dominate inside in the fourth or their fans will be continually dissappointed if they lose. Expectations are huge!

Then I think of the Mavericks and how we have so many options in the fourth. What a luxury to have! No inordinate amount of pressure on any one guy. The defense is not able to double on anyone down the stretch knowing that someone else will step up. Its nice being a Mavs fan!!

Sacbee has had some great coverage during this series. Here is a nice article on this subject for your pleasure:

funny article

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Webber folds like a deck of cards in most big games.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 PM   #3
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Poor Webber. He can't even use KG's excuse of "I don't have a strong supporting cast".

BTW, Sac Bee's website is great. I really like the layout, and there are usually some pretty good stories.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
walker727

walker727 is on a distinguished road

1 guy can only do so much in my opinion.
walker727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

I agree DTL...good site!

walker - he is a part of a team with a pretty damn good supporting cast. Webber just chokes in big games. That old no help excuse doesn't hold water imo.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:09 PM   #6
DTL
Diamond Member

<< 1 guy can only do so much in my opinion. >>

indeed. indeed. your opinion is noted.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:13 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

pathetic.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
walker727

walker727 is on a distinguished road

No need to get all feisty, that's my opinion. He is on a team with some damn good players, so why is it always on his shoulders if the team fails or suceeds. This is not like KG, with his contract he is supposed to dominate but I think it's different with Webber. I know Webber is getting paid alot, but Finley is a 100 million dollar man, and so is Allan Houston and a few more but it is not always on their shoulders. I just don't get it, maybe I will 1 day but right now I don't. What do they expect from 1 guy?
walker727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:15 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

pathetic.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:36 PM   #10
DTL
Diamond Member

<< What do they expect from 1 guy? >>

Hmm. Lemme think for a second. Maybe they expect what some people expect from Duncan, that is, leading his team to a bunch of championship rings?
Old 05-08-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Not an unfair assumption when you pay a guy like he gets paid. But what do we all know....walker says we are all wrong.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:42 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if webber would just play mediocre ball in the clutch, that would be ok.. it would get people off of his back.

however, he too often chokes in the clutch
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:11 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Webber and Adelman are getting hammered on the radio here.

Adelman for only playing 7 players in game 2. People want to know why Pollard or Funderburke didn't see some action?

Webber for not showing up. In his defense, some say that their legs aren't there cause Adelman refusing to go deeper in his bench.

The thing is, they don't think Webber should be the go-to guy in Sacramento, they want the ball in Peja's hands late in the game.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:21 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< The thing is, they don't think Webber should be the go-to guy in Sacramento, they want the ball in Peja's hands late in the game. >>

When a player is heartless and ball-less then most people wouldn't want it in his hands at the end of the game.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:34 PM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can see Adelman getting hammered for the short rotation in game 2, but I'm pretty shocked by all the hate going on here for the Kings. Webber is definitely taking the brunt of it.

Most the comments seem knee-jerking to me right now.

Then you have those over-confident ones that think the Kings are going to go to Dallas and wipe the floor with us.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:44 PM   #16
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Not an unfair assumption when you pay a guy like he gets paid. >>

Its not just the money. Its also the pub and the actual talent. Webber was a #1 pick for a reason. And he *has* the talent. A good point I saw several Sacramento fans make was that if Webber had Iverson's heart, he would be an MVP candidate every year. And its true. Webber is as gifted as any player in the league. People look at that and expect him to lead his team--especially when he has a better supporting cast than Garnett or Duncan or any of the other &quot;marquee&quot; players.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Then you have those over-confident ones that think the Kings are going to go to Dallas and wipe the floor with us. >>

And here's the reason I have never been really worried about this series.

When I looked on Kings boards, even before this series started, Kings fans were debating whether they HAD a go-to, clutch guy in Peja or Webber or Hedo.

On Mavs boards, fans argue about who is the most go-to guy: Dirk or Nash or Finley or even Van Exel.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:47 PM   #18
DTL
Diamond Member

<< And here's the reason I have never been really worried about this series.

When I looked on Kings boards, even before this series started, Kings fans were debating whether they HAD a go-to, clutch guy in Peja or Webber or Hedo.
>>

Hedo?? Wow.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #19
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Hedo?? Wow. >>

Well, with Hedo, its an issue of potential. That he could become that player for them.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:00 PM   #20
DTL
Diamond Member

<< Well, with Hedo, its an issue of potential. That he could become that player for them. >>

Is he better than Peja? Or, better -- does he have more potential than Peja? That's hard to imagine. Maybe he can create better?
Old 05-08-2002, 10:32 PM   #21
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I don't know if Hedo can be as good as Peja, but it will be damn close.

I've seen a lot of Kings games and I would love to have him on the Mavs team for sure.

He's much better around the basket, can create his own shot better, has better defense and is a pretty impressive shooter in his own right.

I like the guy, but I don't see how he's the go-to guy on that team with Webber and Peja.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:43 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Hedo's so goofy looking...but damn can he play ball. But no he isn't the go-to guy IMO.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:57 PM   #23
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I don't really think Peja is a go to guy either. I think he's more of a second option type of guy. His game isn't versatile enough to be a #1.

Hedo can straight up ball. I really think that he has the potential to be a future starting forward for another team. Better handles than Peja, Better defense more athleticism. Solid player.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:01 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Hedo - he will be a star in this league very soon. Maybe not an All-Star but close.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #25
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<<

<< Well, with Hedo, its an issue of potential. That he could become that player for them. >>

Is he better than Peja? Or, better -- does he have more potential than Peja? That's hard to imagine. Maybe he can create better?
>>

He's not as good a shooter as Peja (who is?). But Peja is only a shooter. Hedo has the potential to be the kind of all-around threat that McGrady is--before anyone freaks, I'm not saying as good as McGrady, I'm just referring to the *type* of player. He already has more options on how to score than Peja does and that's why at least some Kings fans think he may be the go-to guy they need.
Old 05-09-2002, 08:45 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hedo has more potential to be a very good all around player.
i can see him being better than peja...but, potential only counts for so much.
from what i've heard, neither peja or turko have dirk-like work ethics
Old 05-09-2002, 09:14 AM   #27
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

&lt;&lt;No need to get all feisty, that's my opinion. He is on a team with some damn good players, so why is it always on his shoulders if the team fails or suceeds. This is not like KG, with his contract he is supposed to dominate but I think it's different with Webber. I know Webber is getting paid alot, but Finley is a 100 million dollar man, and so is Allan Houston and a few more but it is not always on their shoulders. I just don't get it, maybe I will 1 day but right now I don't. What do they expect from 1 guy? &gt;&gt;

Walker, it's because they built this team around Webber, that's why he gets the burden of it being on his shoulders. The same way they built a team around KG. Fin has never been the type of player that you can build a team around. For instance, Nellie was trying to find players to fit his brand of basketball, remember Fin came into Dallas with a BUNCH of players. Remember when he was traded he wasn't a NUMBER one option, he was a third option on a Phoenix team. Very few teams build a team around a shooting guard! So that's an unfair comparison.

However, sometimes when players show major flaws in their game, alot of the blame falls back on them. That was how it was with Pippen and the Bulls. Whenever the Bulls did well, it was because of Jordan. Whenever they didn't, it was because Pippen didn't step up.

Basically it's what Murph said, if Webber stepped up and had a dominating game JUST ONE in the big one, maybe he could lose some of the stigma that seems to stick with him. However, you see him crying to the refs, you see him sulking, telling his coach, &quot;you have to get a tech for me coach, they're not letting me play my game.&quot; Even KG, you see KG get pissed, but he goes out there and just plays!
Old 05-09-2002, 09:28 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

i like KG
he plays hard but i don't think he has the offensive game to really take over late on a regular basis

i don't like webber
he has the offensive game but doesn't have the heart
Old 05-09-2002, 10:50 AM   #29
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

<< i don't like webber
he has the offensive game but doesn't have the heart
>>

I agree. But I have a bad feeling that because there are just too much pressure on him this year, almost do or die situation (in an interview he said that he might lose faith on everything if they lose badly this playoff. Whatever he meant, that was a strong statement), and these pressure might push him to perform above his normal mental and basketball abilities. Hope that not happens, definitely.
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:16 AM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

hopefully he won't develop heart and balls anytime soon
Old 05-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #31
DTL
Diamond Member

I love Webber. He'll be the key to the Mavs winning this series.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:52 AM   #32
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

i think it´s a pretty decent comparison between some max-out guys like houston, webber, garnett, duncan, finley and (to come) dirk and vince

there´s one group of clear finishers in the fourth, guys who just ARE THERE and go for the kill ... and there are guys who keep their team in games and in the lead, but if it comes to the edge they disappear. the one group is perfect for maxing out, the other isnt.

how would you devide them?

Duncan, Finley, Dirk, Vince in one (Finley CAN finish games great, he just don´t have to all the time)
Webber, Garnett in the other

Houston is overpaid, but I would add him in between those groups

Old 05-09-2002, 11:56 AM   #33
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

<< Houston is overpaid, but I would add him in between those groups >>

Having watched some of Knicks' games, my immediately response will be to put Houston in the second group. He often did great most of the time (keeping the team in the game and leading a come back), only to fail to score the last needed four or five points.
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote