Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2001, 11:43 AM   #1
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Mavs make it to NBC tripleheader.. on saturday starting at 2:00 CST. Whenever we are in the spotlight ...we seem to put out a piece of sh*t performance.....We better be over that stage & come out an take game #1.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:46 AM   #2
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

YES!!!!!! 2pm on Saturday... I dont have to work, so I can see the game!!!
GO MAVS!
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 11:52 AM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

So we don't get to listen to all of Bob's catchy cliches during the Mavs' first playoff game?! Oh no! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 11:55 AM   #4
Jordan23TX

Well hoping for Doug Collins & Bob Costas might be too much ....Im almost certain we will get the ignoramus himself "Bill"Pass the weed" Walton.....So I may have to mute it.....listen to the radio broadcast over the net ....
Old 04-19-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to be very pleased if Walton is doing the color commentary... I got sick enough having to him work the tournament games this year (every damn Arizona game?)... Did y'all know that Walton started out his somewhat inexplicably successful career as a commentator by doing the color commentary for the Mavs telecasts in the early eighties? That was his first gig...
Old 04-19-2001, 12:18 PM   #6
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Yes, Dallas has seemed to laid an egg in each high profile game this year with the exception of the Dallas-Toronto game (in which Carter sat out). In all the bad games, it seemed that the players (particularly Dirk and Nash) were overwhelmed by the attention. It took about 2 quarters for them to get their butterflies out. The most important thing about playing in the playoffs and against upper echelon teams, you can't get behind 15 to 20 points and then make a comeback. I think that the Mavs goal is not to be behind by more than 10 pts at the end of the third quarter because any number higher than that takes them out of their game plan causing them to rely on emotion (which can be crushed easily by Utah's ability to score when needed) and high risk plays and shots.

Regardless, I think Utah will try to set the tone on the first game and win easily. If the Mavs have any chance of winning the series, they have to win game 2.....

Utah wins 3 games to 1.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:40 PM   #7
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Leave Walton alone, man. He's just a hippie, like me.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:40 PM   #8
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I think game one will really set the tone for the series. We need to come out and refuse to back down from Utah's dirty and physical play. If stand up to them and stay right in their face, even if we lose, I think the series will go 5 games.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 12:49 PM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

dirk played poorly in the big games? he was huge in each laker game... he was huge in the portland games... him and finley have been huge all year. get a clue Maringa.
your opinions aren't very good. you need to work on them a bit before you post your thoughts.

i suppose all of dirk's and steve's offensive numbers come against teams that were below .500 and not going to make the playoffs....
it amazes me how ignorant some people are. it also amazes me when people select two or three games out of an 82 game season to formulate an opinion about someone. being in the western conference, the mavs were playing top competition almost night in and night out. to say that anyone that has numbers as good as nash and dirk didn't perform well in the big games is ludicrous. to single out a couple of national televised games as the big games and say that someone that happened to have had a bad game or two as people that are overwhelmed is stupid.
get a clue.
yes, the nationally televised games were big...but the mavs have been playing huge games all year..particularly in the past 15-20 games.
you cannot make a valid statistical point by using 2 or 3 games. it isn't possible.

LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 01:00 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Bill Walton is the only commentator with the balls to tell it like it is. He is by far my favorite color guy. I think it will be an honor to have him work the Mavs games.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 01:01 PM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Walton's anti-Indiana Pacer commentary in the playoffs over the last few years, and his inane criticism of American Hero Bob Knight has soured me on the smoked out red headed big man... I was very happy when he had to watch his beloved Arizona team get taken out by Duke in the tournament. I would have loved it if he had started crying...

Also, Bob Costas used to be the most honest color commentator, and also probably the most intelligent...
Old 04-19-2001, 01:02 PM   #12
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Lam, I agree that the Mavs have played many games against great teams and have won. The nationally televised games that I saw in which they lost, they played very poorly. It is just an observation of watching the games. Dirk started off cold in many of the games and Nash had a lot of turnovers. They weren't the only reason the Mavs lost those games, but they seemed to me to be very nervous about the exposure. The good thing is that those games were early in the season and the Mavs have improved since then.

I think the playoffs take this to a different level. It will be interesting to see how Dirk and Nash respond. Based on past history, not very well, however they are quick learners and we'll know how they do in game 2. I think that game 2 is the one that will dictate who wins the series.

Most of all, I hope and pray that I am wrong and that the Mav's mop up the Jazz 3-0. But reading info from another board, teams that play in the playoff for the first time after an extended period away from the playoffs (5 years or more) are 1 and 7 advancing to the second round (since the 16 team playoff format began in the early 80's). That is a poor record and I attribute it to nerves, confidence, and most of all lack of playoff experience. Let's hope that the Mavs make it 2 and 9....
Old 04-19-2001, 01:16 PM   #13
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with Dallaker, we can't back down from this team. They are damn dirty, and play with their own set of rules. We dont want to get into a game like the last one (here in Dallas), when we came out with tons of emotion and got a lead, It seemed like Utah had us where they wanted us... wore out by the end of the game. If we can keep it close through the first half, I think the Mavs can take their emotion and youthfullness and do some good things in the second half. Game one is going to be big.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:17 PM   #14
Jordan23TX

Evil ...Walton permanently has his lips attached to Larry Bird's ass... IMO, he was a Pacer fan .... because he wanted Bird to be able to succeed as a coach. Which Bird was a good coach....actually above average.....I like Walton for his stupid cliches & ramblings.... but when I watch the Mavs..... I dont need the distractions..... Evil if your still in IU next year .....I might drive up for Mavs vs Pacers... I was the biggest Pacer fan from 1994-2000. They just could never get the job done......Plus in the 80's I was strictly Mavs & Celtics....

~~J~~
Old 04-19-2001, 02:41 PM   #15
LAM0015
Banned

statistically speaking, if you wish to formulate an opinion that can be backed up, you need to come up with alot more than 2 or maybe 3 games. it is impossible to back up your point with none or very little evidence.
if you would like to get back to us with some evidence, then go ahead.

but i do agree that it is harder for a team making it's first appearence in the post season after an extended drought of not making it to actually get past the opening round
Old 04-19-2001, 03:43 PM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Evil - why do you hate on Walton? Did he critisize Isiah Thomas or something? God forbid that! I don't know how anyone can pick on the best coach in the NBA. I love it when Walton spews disgust at terrible teams/players/coaches. By the way - he is a big time Mavs backer. If you read his column, you'll see that he is completely infatuated with Dirk. Lets hope he aims some of his hatred towards the Malone in this game. I'll be rolling on the floor.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 03:49 PM   #17
LAM0015
Banned

we could do much worse than having to listen to bill walton.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:41 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Ape, he may change my easily swayed mind if his commentary is pro-Mavs (assuming he works those games), but the memory of his Arizona lovefest a few weeks ago is still to fresh in my mind for me to relish the thought of listening to him in this series... Also, Jordan, you should have seen the production some of my buddies put on last December for the Mavs/Pacers home game. In the middle of a blizzard (by far the worst of the year) we painted ourselves and drove to Indy going about 15-20 mph. When we got there (seats courtesy of Mr. Cuban) we agitated three full sections of Pacer fans by standing up for the full game and almost permanently occupying the attention of the sections' beer vendor. I am thinking about finishing my degree at UTD next year (it would save a semester), so I am not sure if I will still be here next year. But if I am, I would be all in favor of raising some hell in Indy next year... The bar scene at Broadripple (in Indy) is good stuff, but also, female trouble abounds in Bloomington...
Old 04-20-2001, 08:03 PM   #19
Mav_on_the_Move

Mav_on_the_Move is on a distinguished road

Worse than Walton, perish the thought. He always has to make everything the best or the worse out there when the truth is it probably falls somewhere in the middle. I sometimes wish he and Snapper Jones would take each other out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2001, 08:05 PM   #20
Mav_on_the_Move

Oh yeah, does anyone know where Walton was at 4:20 today?
Old 04-20-2001, 08:43 PM   #21
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Every time I hear Walton interviewed he rants and raves about the Mavs. He loves the Mavs are far as I can tell. I think he was a little embarrassed by the Phoenix blowout on National TV. He was talking the Mavs up before the game. I wouldn't mind having him doing our games.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 09:30 PM   #22
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Mav_on_the_Move...was that a joke that I just didn't get?
Old 04-20-2001, 11:03 PM   #23
Mav_on_the_Move

I'm a high school teacher. We were warned that today was national smoke out day (and I'm not talking about cigs either). Apparently in the drug sub-culture 4:20 is a code word for smoking out.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:08 PM   #24
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

hahaha...ok, now that's funny![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2001, 12:08 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Who usually teams with Doug Collins? He's part of the crew that's gonna call the Mavs game.

Thank God we don't have to listen to Walton. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 12:14 PM   #26
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

"The Mavericks..the Jazz..the Playoffs continue NEXT on NBC!"

Damn it feels good to hear that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 12:22 PM   #27
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

The Mavs are going to SMASH today! I am not a safe man to be around right at present. The combination of little 500 week boozing, the NFL draft and the glory of the first day of the NBA playoffs has me getting a little worked up...