Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
He was not good, come on. I understand that it's hard for him to be the focal point on this team, but it is getting clearer and clearer that he is not a first option. His efficiency is tanking hard right now, it is what it is, no need to bash him, but same goes for praise.
You base an entire player on a few missed shots, but choose to ignore what Barnes did to help win the game.

Did you watch this game?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #42
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You base an entire player on a few missed shots, but choose to ignore what Barnes did to help win the game.

Did you watch this game?
Yeah, I did, and no, I did not base his entire performance on a few missed shots. I'm not saying he was bad btw, but crowning him as the sole reason - I'm exaggerating - for our win, is a bit too much, especially when Matthews was arguably better, and the primary reason why we won was team defense.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #43
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

You're doing it wrong.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Did you watch this game?
You must spread rep. Barnes was one of only three guys last night that actually looked like NBA-caliber players (Matthews and Anderson were the other two).
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Yeah, I did, and no, I did not base his entire performance on a few missed shots. I'm not saying he was bad btw, but crowning him as the sole reason - I'm exaggerating - for our win, is a bit too much, especially when Matthews was arguably better, and the primary reason why we won was team defense.
I agree that Matthews was better, and I give a lot of credit to him for actually giving a sh** on this team.

If I had a gun to my head, my scapegoat the last two seasons would Deron Williams. He just doesn't give a crap and just turns it over willy nilly. I think he is a team cancer that should be rid of as soon as possible.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #46
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If I had a gun to my head, my scapegoat the last two seasons would Deron Williams. He just doesn't give a crap and just turns it over willy nilly. I think he is a team cancer that should be rid of as soon as possible.
It is truly a shame. I thought that this offseason D-Will wanted to be in Dallas, as he supposedly gave up better offers, but it looks like Deron just wants to keep getting checks and Mavericks ended up Brooklyn's version of Williams who spends more time warming the bench.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that Matthews was better, and I give a lot of credit to him for actually giving a sh** on this team.

Deron's biggest problem is that he's a rental and he knows it. He also wasn't our first choice and he'd be stupid not to be aware of that fact. He's a vet that has slid by on his talent, but he knows he isn't our long-term solution so he's just going through the motions and playing out his last few years in the league. If he was on a competitive team, it might be different, but he's just not playing hard for multiple reasons.

He's also overweight and plagued by nagging injuries, which make his effort look even lower. Then again, he has no reason to play through. Why would he?

I totally agree that he's part of the problem. He's the most skilled PG we have and Rick prefers vets, but his laziness hurts. When he's out there, the energy and chemistry falls apart. Guys see the vet setting a bad example and react appropriately. When Seth comes out and busts buns, the rest of the guys respond by playing harder. Curry just isn't as talented at running an offense. We really have to choose between NBa-level talent who sets a bad example or a borderline starter who brings sparkplug-level intensity.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-28-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #48
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
If the choices are (A) Young guys watch the veterans limp through the season and we get 15 wins or (B) Young guys play a lot more than the old players and we maybe manage an extra 8-10 wins because of their on-the-job training, I'll take B every time. I'd rather have the #5 pick being added to a roster full of young guys that have had time to develop together than the #3 pick being added to a roster full of these young guys when they haven't been given a chance.
Although I agree with you 100% on choice B, I'm not sure we have much to develop on the current roster. DFS, Anderson and maybe Hammons have a chance to be long term Mavs along with Barnes but I think Powell hit his peak about a year ago and some of the others (Curry, Mejri, Gibson, etc..) are just too old to be factors when we will be relevant again.

I say dump as many of the vets 26 and older as possible for youth and draft picks. We'll probably have to take on some horrible contracts in the process but who cares since we won't be very active in the FA market next season....at least not for top 1 and 2 tier FAs in their prime who will demand max or near max deals.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #49
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Deron's biggest problem is that he's a rental and he knows it. He also wasn't our first choice and he'd be stupid not to be aware of that fact. He's a vet that has slid by on his talent, but he knows he isn't our long-term solution so he's just going through the motions and playing out his last few years in the league. If he was on a competitive team, it might be different, but he's just not playing hard for multiple reasons.

He's also overweight and plagued by nagging injuries, which make his effort look even lower. Then again, he has no reason to play through. Why would he?

I totally agree that he's part of the problem. He's the most skilled PG we have and Rick prefers vets, but his laziness hurts. When he's out there, the energy and chemistry falls apart. Guys see the vet setting a bad example and react appropriately. When Seth comes out and busts buns, the rest of the guys respond by playing harder. Curry just isn't as talented at running an offense. We really have to choose between NBa-level talent who sets a bad example or a borderline starter who brings sparkplug-level intensity.
Nailed it. I dont hate Deron, I just put myself in his shoes. He's always seemed to have a motivation problem, and I dont blame a 12 year vet for not being completely motivated on a 3-13 team. He definitely needs to set a better example though, no excuse.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #50
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

We should have kept Felton over Williams.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #51
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
We should have kept Felton over Williams.
But then we might be winning more games
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #52
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
But then we might be winning more games
That dreaded .400 is awful. By the 10-20 spot in the draft the chances of getting a superstar are about 20% historically.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #53
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lrLh7pIJCo
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #54
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I'll take the blame for this win. My wife and I flew in for Thanksgiving and attended the game in hopes of seeing Dirk back - for the last time live for us, perhaps. Though he didn't get to play, we did get to eat downstairs at the buffet below Old Number 7 and watch him work up a sweat shooting for 30+ minutes or so before the game. :-) He's still got the touch. He hardly missed shooting around with Brad Davis feeding him the ball. The energy in the arena sucked pretty much all game, but the 4th quarter was fun. Barnes was steady, Williams was an out-of-shape-turnover-waiting-to-happen, Wes found some miracle juice and was the surprise of the game. I think he made more 3's this game than all the other previous ones combined! Anderson actually looked like an NBA player, and the Mavs closed it out when it mattered. Fun game at the end, but I would've preferred another loss. :-O

Last edited by turin; 11-29-2016 at 08:05 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #55
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I'll take the blame for this win. My wife and I flew in for Thanksgiving and attended the game in hopes of seeing Dirk back - for the last time live for us, perhaps. Though he didn't get to play, we did get to eat downstairs at the buffet below Old Number 7 and watch him work up a sweat shooting for 30+ minutes or so before the game. :-) He's still got the touch. He hardly missed shooting around with Brad Davis feeding him the ball. The energy in the arena sucked pretty much all game, but the 4th quarter was fun. Barnes was steady, Williams was an out-of-shape-turnover-waiting-to-happen, Wes found some miracle juice and was the surprise of the game. I think he made more 3's this game than all the other previous ones combined! Anderson actually looked like an NBA player, and the Mavs closed it out when it mattered. Fun game at the end, but I would've preferred another loss. :-O
Nah, it seems like it was better for you to catch a win under the circumstances... Just don't make a habit of it!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
The pels are terrible. This was as guaranteed of a win as there will be this season. Don't fret.

And for all the bad contracts in the league, Solomon Hill's is probably the worst. 4 year 50 mil for a guy averaging 5 points on 34% shooting.

AND they just beat the Lakers last night, so that means less competition for a top pick.