Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
xmark4ux

xmark4ux is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs should go after Paul and Christie

The mavs we be a much better defensive team, which Avery loves DEFENSE. This could be our lineup

PG:Harris
SG:Christie
SF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]aul pierce/Josh Howard
PF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]irk/Josh Powell
C[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]ampier/Hunter

If the mavsdo these moves and also go after Hunter that would be the most valuable thing that Mark Cuban ever did to this team. I say they would make it all the way to the Finals and win
Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
xmark4ux

xmark4ux is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs should go after Paul and Christie

The mavs we be a much better defensive team, which Avery loves DEFENSE. This could be our lineup

PG:Harris
SG:Christie
SF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]aul pierce/Josh Howard
PF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]irk/Josh Powell
C[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]ampier/Hunter

If the mavsdo these moves and also go after Hunter that would be the most valuable thing that Mark Cuban ever did to this team. I say they would make it all the way to the Finals and win
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs should go after Paul and Christie

That would make a better defensive team, that Avery would definitely love. But your comments were not worth making a new thread; post in an existing one next time.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

That would make a better defensive team, that Avery would definitely love. But your comments were not worth making a new thread; post in an existing one next time.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Mavs should go after Paul and Christie

"The mavs we be a much better defensive team, which Avery loves DEFENSE."

Is this English?
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

"The mavs we be a much better defensive team, which Avery loves DEFENSE."

Is this English?
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking, instead, that the Mavs should go after Shaquille and LeBron.

Then we would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking, instead, that the Mavs should go after Shaquille and LeBron.

Then we would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
worry about how the mavs are going to have good 4/5 back up. don't be trippin about who starts a theard or what its about that s why its a message board no matter how unimformative the theard is.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
worry about how the mavs are going to have good 4/5 back up. don't be trippin about who starts a theard or what its about that s why its a message board no matter how unimformative the theard is.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I've got to say that I really like the idea of starting Christie and brining Jho off the bench...ER NOT!

I'm not convinced that you'll get PP for Daniels, KvH, Terry and whoever else you threw in on that deal.
The Mavs are only getting PP if Devin Harris is in the mix.... and it might be worth considering.

Welcome to the boards...a friend of the mavs is a friend of mine
Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I've got to say that I really like the idea of starting Christie and brining Jho off the bench...ER NOT!

I'm not convinced that you'll get PP for Daniels, KvH, Terry and whoever else you threw in on that deal.
The Mavs are only getting PP if Devin Harris is in the mix.... and it might be worth considering.

Welcome to the boards...a friend of the mavs is a friend of mine
Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Why do some think so highly of Devin Harris? Just wondering.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Blinding speed. Cat-like quickness. Turbo-spring hops. All of which combine for some spectacular finishes, and promise the ability to defend PGs like Mavs fans haven't seen since Derek Harper.

Add to that a jumper that could turn out to be decent, and playmaking ability that is already about as good as JT's, and should get better with time.

Not so much the Devin Harris of today that people like, but the PG that he projects to be that has people interested.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Blinding speed. Cat-like quickness. Turbo-spring hops. All of which combine for some spectacular finishes, and promise the ability to defend PGs like Mavs fans haven't seen since Derek Harper.

Add to that a jumper that could turn out to be decent, and playmaking ability that is already about as good as JT's, and should get better with time.

Not so much the Devin Harris of today that people like, but the PG that he projects to be that has people interested.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #17
alby
Guru

I understand the fascination on his athletic ability, but wasnt Tony Dumas considered a superior athlete with blazing speed and great hops as well?

In the NFL, a quarterback can sit a year or two to learn the speed of the game and the complexity of the NFL game.

But in the NBA, more often than not, you see the legitimate rookies who pan out to become stars in the league have average to great 1st years. I hope I am wrong about Devin Harris, yes I believe he has the God given gifts and the potential to be a star, but potential means nothing in the NBA.

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #18
alby
Guru

I understand the fascination on his athletic ability, but wasnt Tony Dumas considered a superior athlete with blazing speed and great hops as well?

In the NFL, a quarterback can sit a year or two to learn the speed of the game and the complexity of the NFL game.

But in the NBA, more often than not, you see the legitimate rookies who pan out to become stars in the league have average to great 1st years. I hope I am wrong about Devin Harris, yes I believe he has the God given gifts and the potential to be a star, but potential means nothing in the NBA.

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #19
alby
Guru

In Devin's draft class the top 10 picks were:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Emeka Okafor
3. Ben Gordon
4. Shaun Livingston
5. Devin Harris
6. Josh Childress
7. Luol Deng
8. Rafael Araujo
9. Andre Igoudala
10. Luke Jackson

Now out of his class, only Howard, Okafor, Gordon, Deng (before his injury), and Igoudala had seasons that can be considered "stellar". 5 out of 10. All 10 possess great potential, but you dont expect all 10 to pan out to be stars, right? Only two are point guards, the hardest position to learn, the "quarterback" of a team.

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #20
alby
Guru

In Devin's draft class the top 10 picks were:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Emeka Okafor
3. Ben Gordon
4. Shaun Livingston
5. Devin Harris
6. Josh Childress
7. Luol Deng
8. Rafael Araujo
9. Andre Igoudala
10. Luke Jackson

Now out of his class, only Howard, Okafor, Gordon, Deng (before his injury), and Igoudala had seasons that can be considered "stellar". 5 out of 10. All 10 possess great potential, but you dont expect all 10 to pan out to be stars, right? Only two are point guards, the hardest position to learn, the "quarterback" of a team.

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #21
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

My recollection is that Dumas looked like a very good athlete who could make spectacular plays--he had the component skills, but showed less ability to apply them to sustained production.

It's still a projection, but Harris looks like he will have the ability to perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

Fair question though.

My stated reservations about Harris have been that he does not appear to be a NATURAL playmaker. You're right that the great ones like Kidd, Magic, or Stockton seemed to have the ability to come in as rookies and ring up big assist totals. Hell, even a player like Steve Nash eventually developed that ability.

Not sure about Stockton, actually.....don't remember his rookie season right offhand. I think he actually split time with Ricky Green for a year or so. But he always seemed to be a much more natural passer than Harris showed last year.

While Terry is a nice player who can definitely contribute, I personally don't see him as the long-term answer at PG
I think I'd feel comfortable letting Harris log as much time as possible, and just see how much better he can be than Terry.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #22
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

My recollection is that Dumas looked like a very good athlete who could make spectacular plays--he had the component skills, but showed less ability to apply them to sustained production.

It's still a projection, but Harris looks like he will have the ability to perform at a high level on a consistent basis.

Fair question though.

My stated reservations about Harris have been that he does not appear to be a NATURAL playmaker. You're right that the great ones like Kidd, Magic, or Stockton seemed to have the ability to come in as rookies and ring up big assist totals. Hell, even a player like Steve Nash eventually developed that ability.

Not sure about Stockton, actually.....don't remember his rookie season right offhand. I think he actually split time with Ricky Green for a year or so. But he always seemed to be a much more natural passer than Harris showed last year.

While Terry is a nice player who can definitely contribute, I personally don't see him as the long-term answer at PG
I think I'd feel comfortable letting Harris log as much time as possible, and just see how much better he can be than Terry.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's a lot of question that Harris can be better than Terry. The question is: how long can you wait?

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's a lot of question that Harris can be better than Terry. The question is: how long can you wait?

It's a delicate balance, that's for sure.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #25
Dirkfanatic

Dirkfanatic is on a distinguished road

whts i would do different with that line up is i would put J-Ho the SF position and put pierce in the sg position, then i would make Doug our 6th man. OH and ill also make Terry our PG.
Dirkfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #26
Dirkfanatic

Dirkfanatic is on a distinguished road

whts i would do different with that line up is i would put J-Ho the SF position and put pierce in the sg position, then i would make Doug our 6th man. OH and ill also make Terry our PG.
Dirkfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #27
snoop

Devin Harris rookie year
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
04-05 DAL 76 19 15.4 .429 .336 .757 .4 1.0 1.3 2.2 1.01 .25 1.08 1.80 5.7

Steve Nash rookie year
96-97 PHO 65 2 10.5 .423 .418 .824 .2 .7 1.0 2.1 .31 .00 .97 1.40 3.3

Gary Payton rookie year
90-91 SEA 82 82 27.4 .450 .077 .711 1.3 1.6 3.0 6.4 2.01 .18 2.20 3.00 7.2

Jason Terry rookie year
99-00 ATL 81 27 23.3 .415 .293 .807 .3 1.8 2.0 4.3 1.11 .12 1.93 1.60 8.1

Sam Cassell rookie year
93-94 HOU 66 6 17.0 .418 .295 .841 .4 1.7 2.0 2.9 .89 .11 1.42 2.10 6.7

point: some very goog pgs have not had stellar rookie campagins. its a very hard position. give harris time

Old 08-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #28
snoop

Devin Harris rookie year
04-05 DAL 76 19 15.4 .429 .336 .757 .4 1.0 1.3 2.2 1.01 .25 1.08 1.80 5.7

Steve Nash rookie year
96-97 PHO 65 2 10.5 .423 .418 .824 .2 .7 1.0 2.1 .31 .00 .97 1.40 3.3

Gary Payton rookie year
90-91 SEA 82 82 27.4 .450 .077 .711 1.3 1.6 3.0 6.4 2.01 .18 2.20 3.00 7.2

Jason Terry rookie year
99-00 ATL 81 27 23.3 .415 .293 .807 .3 1.8 2.0 4.3 1.11 .12 1.93 1.60 8.1

Sam Cassell rookie year
93-94 HOU 66 6 17.0 .418 .295 .841 .4 1.7 2.0 2.9 .89 .11 1.42 2.10 6.7

point: some very goog pgs have not had stellar rookie campagins. its a very hard position. give harris time

Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 AM   #29
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Add in Ridnour, Derek Harper, Baron Davis, etc...

The similiarties between Harp and Devin's rookie years are pretty unbelievable.

And I still think Josh Childress got jobbed for that 1st team selection. He was damn good for the Hawks, any rookie that can shoot 47% for the season on a team like Atlanta with no PG or C is pretty good in my book. I just like the way he plays and he did well for my fantasy team so I am bias towards him.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 AM   #30
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Add in Ridnour, Derek Harper, Baron Davis, etc...

The similiarties between Harp and Devin's rookie years are pretty unbelievable.

And I still think Josh Childress got jobbed for that 1st team selection. He was damn good for the Hawks, any rookie that can shoot 47% for the season on a team like Atlanta with no PG or C is pretty good in my book. I just like the way he plays and he did well for my fantasy team so I am bias towards him.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #31
alby
Guru

I'm not saying Devin will not pan out to be a great player. But looking at the big picture of NBA point guards, the list is longer for those who don't reach their full potential.

Contact Me
Old 08-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #32
alby
Guru

I'm not saying Devin will not pan out to be a great player. But looking at the big picture of NBA point guards, the list is longer for those who don't reach their full potential.

Contact Me