Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default How to use the Buckshot--In Honor of D. Lord

Since our own D. Lord of the Salary Cap has been doing the most creative thinking about how to put deals together under the NBA salary cap these days, I'd like to start a thread in his honor that explores just what the Mavs may be able to do with the Buckshot.

(BTW: If the Mavs actually worked all this out beforehand in anticipation of the current financial situation, then all I've got to say is Donnie and Mark already deserve the Executives of the Year award).

In any event, I've been thinking about how you can use the Buckshot to get a serious player and I think you can do it before September 9, when you can trade Greg Buckner with another player by doing a three-way deal. Like this:

Dallas:

Gives: Buckner to Utah
Receives: Tyrus Thomas from Chicago

Utah:

Gives: Boozer to Chicago
Receives: Buckner from Dallas
Salmons from Chicago
Linton Johnson from Chicago

Chicago:

Gives: Tyrus Thomas to Dallas
Salmons to Utah
Linton Johnson to Utah
Receives: Boozer from Utah

This works under the salary cap, although I'm not sure it works for all the teams--Chicago may be a little short on value, although a draft choice might fix it.

The point, however, is that you don't have to wait until September to do a big deal if it's a three team deal and Dallas takes back a player equal in salary to Buckner and only facilitates a deal with a team looking to dump salary.

It's the same thing as being under the salary cap--as Memphis was in facilitating the Marion deal.

Boozer is the big prize, since Utah wants to dump salary and he has value as a player, but there are probably other trade possibilities for this type of deal as well.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffshot, green drool