Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about
Default Knicks fire Larry Brown, Isaih Thomas takes over.

Official Press Release - Larry Brown has been relieved of his responsibilities as head coach of the New York Knicks it was announced today. Isiah Thomas, who serves as the team's president and general manager, will also assume the role of head coach, effective immediately.

"Larry has had a long and storied career. We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don't. After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season," MSG Chairman James L. Dolan said. "I have great personal admiration for Larry, but have concluded that it is best for our franchise if we make this change. We understand that fans were not happy with the performance of the team last season and neither were we. We are committed to making major improvements next season towards our goal of producing a winning basketball team."

"No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance," Thomas said. "This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans. Today begins the 2006-07 season for the Knicks, and I strongly believe we are on the right track to take major steps in our rebuilding process to achieve our goal of being one of the premier teams in the NBA. Larry Brown is a great coach, but for various reasons, bringing him to the Knicks did not turn out the way we had hoped and we wish him the best in the future."

Thomas, who joined the Knicks as president and general manager on Dec. 22, 2003, previously served as a head coach with the Indiana Pacers for three seasons from 2000-01 through 2002-03. Coaching a youthful Pacers team, he compiled a record of 131-115 record, making the playoffs in each of his three seasons. [READ]
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

A 131-115 record with that Indianna team is not what you call impressive.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Isaiah becomes the coach. Anybody didn't see this coming?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

What is the status of Brown's asssistants, specifically Mark Aguire? I would expect Aguire to stay with Pistons-pal Thomas, but with Isaiah, you never know. If he is let go, he needs to come back here, which is what should have happened last year.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<activate: boycott.exe>
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
According to sources, the Knicks have told Brown they are not going to pay him the full $40 million he is owed over the last four years of his deal. Sources indicate that the Knicks are going to allow NBA commissioner David Stern to arbitrate what compensation is owed to the Hall of Fame coach.
<activate: lawsuit.exe>
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Dolan and Thomas are absolute lying slime.

Zeke is in so way over his peanut head.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 06-22-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wow, so where's he going to go?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Wow, so where's he going to go?
I would imagine that he wouldn't go to any team this year to coach. Maybe take a year or so off a la Phil Jacskon and if his health is fine maybe give it one more go, but his coaching days are all but over IMO.

Last edited by some-dude; 06-22-2006 at 10:37 AM.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Seriously, given the way Dolan and Thomas have dealt with Brown (and Wilkens, and Chaney...and let's not even start naming players)....

does anyone doubt that they treated Anucha Browne-Sanders even worse?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so sorry for the Knicks. Can you imagine having to root for that team? I like some of the players but can you really root for that team from top to bottom?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck Larry Brown. Good riddance; I don't know if a JV high school coach could have done a worse job with the Knicks than you did.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Shouldn't this thread be titled: Knicks Back to the Lottery thread part II or something. It looks like Thomas has set this franchise back at least 8 - 10 years. If they would have kept Layden or got a real GM they'd be just about complete with their rebuilding process. Now............................................... ..what do they have to look forward to a 30-52 record, no draft picks and the highest and most inflexible payroll in the history of the league. This is one of the most poorly constructed teams in the history of sports.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Fuck Larry Brown. Good riddance; I don't know if a JV high school coach could have done a worse job with the Knicks than you did.
There area a lot of coaches who could have done worse. That team was built to fail. Isiah is going to find that out this year when he has to coach this mess. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win less than 20 games this year. The team is just that bad.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to see Thomas try and coach that team, he's in for a bumpy ride.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

No excuses now for Isiah. He build this abortion. Now he has to coach it.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #17
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I am no fan of Larry Brown. He can be utterly ridiculous at times. However, if he can't win with a team then nobody can. The Knicks were going to be terrible whoever coached them. On the bright side for Larry Brown though. How much money is he getting from both the Pistons and the Knicks not to coach. 60 or 70 million? This guy must be one of the smartest guys in the world.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
On the bright side for Larry Brown though. How much money is he getting from both the Pistons and the Knicks not to coach. 60 or 70 million? This guy must be one of the smartest guys in the world.
Dolan and the NYKs are not agreeing to pay him off. That is, they're saying that they don't intend to pay him the remaining years of his contract--that they fired him "for cause".

Brown's contract stipulates that Stern will arbitrate the amount of any payoff. Should be interesting.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
GP

I think Dolan's argument is monumentally weak. Brown has a guaranteed contract and he can easily go to court with all the damning information that was leaked to the press. Just because the NBA has a collective bargaining agreement with the players and a federal antitrust exemption doesn't mean they can do an end around New York law which heavily favors the workers. I can see Stern ruling in favor of Dolan; however, that certainly wouldn't be the end of it. If he does then I am sure Brown can take it to court. Probably should in the first place.

Last edited by GP; 06-22-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I hope he's not trying to pull a riley and expect a ring this year.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Wow. Larry Brown got fired for not turning around a horrible team into a championship contender in less than a season. MJ in his prime couldn't do a damn thing for that Knicks team. I was willing to give Isiah the benefit of hte doubt but he's been horrible and this just put the finishing touches on a long overdue firing.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:57 AM   #22
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Am i the only one that's sick to death of hearing about the Knicks? What have they ever done to deserve the media attention they've been getting the past 2 years? When they were in the playoffs a few years ago, no one mentioned them. And when they suck hard, everybody want to talk about them. I'd rather listen to how the Heat deserved to win the finals than listen about the New York Knicks.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #23
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Its the East Coast bias which is why I pray the Knicks never get a young star like a Wade or a Lebron. Imagine if Wade played for the Knicks? Damn.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Its the East Coast bias which is why I pray the Knicks never get a young star like a Wade or a Lebron. Imagine if Wade played for the Knicks? Damn.
Oh, I am sure they think they are going to trade Stve Francis for Wade or LeBron straight up.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Am i the only one that's sick to death of hearing about the Knicks? What have they ever done to deserve the media attention they've been getting the past 2 years? When they were in the playoffs a few years ago, no one mentioned them. And when they suck hard, everybody want to talk about them. I'd rather listen to how the Heat deserved to win the finals than listen about the New York Knicks.
You're sick of hearing about it? Imagine if you were the New Jersey Nets.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Larry Brown can suck it. He's (again) managed to get a 5 year contract and only play 1.

He's never been anyone who someone can stand to have around more than a few seasons, the guy has to have some serious, serious issues.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #27
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I wonder if Stern can decide to increase the amount that Brown is owed.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #28
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god everyone finally can see that brown is such a ridiculously overrated coach. Sadly isiah is a terrible coach so we wont get to see the extreme improvement that we would have if dantoni or nellie would have went there. Oh well even as bad as isiah is i GUARANTEE they win more games this year than last year. If there was a reverse coach of the year award for the worst coaching job last year brown would have been the consensus worst COTY.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #29
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Thank god everyone finally can see that brown is such a ridiculously overrated coach. Sadly isiah is a terrible coach so we wont get to see the extreme improvement that we would have if dantoni or nellie would have went there. Oh well even as bad as isiah is i GUARANTEE they win more games this year than last year. If there was a reverse coach of the year award for the worst coaching job last year brown would have been the consensus worst COTY.
I think you may be one of the few seeing that Brown is a "...ridiculously overrated coach."

What far, far more people are becoming aware of is what terrible ownership the NYKs have. J-Do's daddy felt the need to write a "He's-a-good-boy!-Really-he-is!" letter to the editor to try to deflect some of the searing criticism being heaped on his dullard son. Surprisingly (or not) he left out any mention whatsoever of J-Do's protracted substance-abuse problems.

Quote:
To the Sports Editor:

Selena Roberts asks ("A Bad Seed Is to Blame for the Mess at the Garden," June 23): "Does Charles F. Dolan lie awake at night counting his black sheep son?" The answer is I really sleep very well.
After all, why shouldn't I?

We are fortunate to have three sons and three daughters. We are very proud of them, none more than Jim.

Jim began with Cablevision more than 30 years ago loading freight on a dock. After college, he undertook one after the other of the most difficult and challenging tasks involved in our growth. He came to know our business the only way you can: by experiencing firsthand all of its operations.

I don't know of anyone with broader or more rigorous training or who has worked harder and accomplished more for the company. As chief executive for the past 10 years, he has led the company to a strategic focus on the New York area while offering the nation's best-selling cable, phone and Internet services. Thus, he has created an organization that is widely recognized as one of the most competitive in the telecom industry, rewarding both its customers and its owners.

Jim has five devoted sons. As Ms. Roberts pointed out, he has overcome addiction. However, she did not mention that he now gives unsparingly of his time helping others with similar difficulties. Jim is unafraid in facing unpopular problems whether investing unhesitatingly in support of the Knicks, sitting in the front row for nearly every game or revising some of his father's favorite business plans.

What does startle me, I'll admit, is reading in The New York Times, of all places, such a rancorous column about the dynamics of a family-owned media company.

Charles F. Dolan
New York
As for Chuck-Daddy's surprise at seeing a "rancorous" column about his son in the NYT, the pin-headed SOB ought to hop on a subway wearing a NYKs cap.

One can only hope for a crash of the helicopter ferrying the moron son from the Hamptons to Manhattan, and pray that there are not too many on-the-ground casualties.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 06-26-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Knicks say Brown violated MSG policy by talking
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Knicks contend Larry Brown broke Madison Square Garden policy with his roadside interviews, a decision the team believes could wind up saving them millions.

The Knicks fired Brown on Thursday after one season as their coach and replaced him with team president and general manager Isiah Thomas. Brown has four years and a reported $40 million left on his contract, but the Knicks say the Hall of Fame coach is not entitled to all of it because of his disregard for team policy.

Since James Dolan became owner of the Knicks and Rangers, Madison Square Garden policy specifies that any interviews must be done with a public relations official present -- with no exceptions, according to a person familiar with the policy, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because this matter has not been resolved.

After reports surfaced in May that Dolan was considering buying out Brown's contract, the Knicks made neither Brown nor Thomas available after they worked out potential draft prospects.

Reporters soon began waiting near the entrance to the Knicks' training facility in Greenburgh, N.Y. On a few occasions, Brown pulled his car over to speak, saying during one interview he felt like a "dead man walking."

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, would not address the contention that the Hall of Fame coach was violating company rules.

"I'm not going to comment on any alleged misconduct," he said Friday. "It will be taken care of in the proper format at the proper time."

Told the Knicks are citing a specific infraction, Glass said, "We will answer all of the alleged allegations at the appropriate time at the appropriate format."

Glass, in any event, expects his client to be properly taken care of.

"I'm sure he will be," he said.

The Knicks went 23-59 -- matching the franchise record for losses in a year -- despite carrying the highest payroll in the league. Brown's criticism of Stephon Marbury and other players through the media clearly rankled Dolan. Now the coaching job belongs to Thomas, the Knicks' fifth coach in the last three years.

"I'm disappointed, I love this franchise, but I didn't do what I was paid to do," Brown said in Friday's New York Post. "I didn't do the job. I wish them well and I move on.

"I had a great opportunity. ... They feel I didn't do what I came to do. I mean, I won 23 games."

Last edited by MFFL; 06-26-2006 at 01:58 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Will you admit that brown is ridiculously overrated when isiah(a bad coach) takes essentially the same players and wins more games?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #32
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Will you admit that brown is ridiculously overrated when isiah(a bad coach) takes essentially the same players and wins more games?
No.

Look, there is plenty to criticize about the job Brown did THIS year with the NYKs, although the whole season was complicated by management mistakes past and present. . And plenty not to like about the way Brown has left teams hanging in previous jobs. But to call him overrated---he's coached in 3 NBA Finals, winning one of them. (If you're gonna call Brown overrated, how do you describe Flip Saunders? ) And he has a record of making winning teams out of losing teams at every stop before NY. He also has a very strong record in the NCAA, where he also won a championship.

You may not admire him personally. But to say he's overrated as a coach just goes against a very established body of evidence.

I'd go so far as to say that Brown brought more to the NYKs as a coach, could have made MORE positive difference as a coach, than any three players currently on the roster will make as players. Further, you could dump the whole roster, fire Isiah, give Brown control of personnel decisions and he'd have them back in the playoffs within 3 years, STARTING FROM SCRATCH.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 06-26-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Brown is a good coach there is no arguing that and im not arguing that. I am arguing he is overrated which he without question is. He was widely considered the best coach in the nba going into this season which is an absolute joke because the best coach in nba history happens to be coaching now. I think him and nellie are roughly equivalents as coaches. Since i think alot of nellie that means that i think he is a good coach but he is a top 10 coach and not the best coach. There is a huge difference. Its like nash. i think he is an amazing player. I also think he is overrated. You can be both.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #34
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Dolan and Thomas held a "press conference" with only selected reporters and news outlets allowed to attend.

Reportedly, Dolan said that Thomas had one year to turn things around, or he'd be gone too.

Would be good news, but who trusts Dolan to live up to his word anymore?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:47 AM   #35
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a joke? Would any coach make a request like that?

Brown Wanted Knicks To Waive Marbury, Francis, James, Rose and Taylor

27th June, 2006 - 12:54 am

New York Times - After finally addressing the press, Knicks owner James Dolan revealed that working with Brown in the future would be unachievable after Brown made questionable demands.

The most questionable had Brown request that the team waive Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Jerome James, Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor - a move that would have cost the Knicks roughly $150 million in salary.

Late last season, Brown admitted that he had lost the faith of many of his players.

Dolan claimed that Brown focused too much on trying to be the GM of the team and not enough on coaching them.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
Wow, maybe Brown isnt so stupid after all.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That would have been BAD ASS!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #38
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley
Is this a joke? Would any coach make a request like that?

27th June, 2006 - 12:54 am

New York Times - After finally addressing the press, Knicks owner James Dolan revealed that working with Brown in the future would be unachievable after Brown made questionable demands.

The most questionable had Brown request that the team waive Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Jerome James, Jalen Rose and Maurice Taylor - a move that would have cost the Knicks roughly $150 million in salary.

Late last season, Brown admitted that he had lost the faith of many of his players.

Dolan claimed that Brown focused too much on trying to be the GM of the team and not enough on coaching them.
If waiving them all was a "questionable demand", what the hell was the decision to sign them all?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

I still say the knicks are in the top half of the nba in terms of talent.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
If waiving them all was a "questionable demand", what the hell was the decision to sign them all?
You can "question" the intelligence of Brown, but there is no "question" gathering the Knick roster was pure stupidity.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote