Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Just a FYI -- it is your type that is pissing me off. Not because you aren't right, and don't have the right to buy a few more guns and ammo, but because my salary hasn't increased at the speed of the cost of guns -- especially since the first week of Nov. So I can't increase like I would like to.

I thought I'd pick up a few, but good grief the $$$$. I talked with a friend who has a FFL and he told me they sold more guns the first week after the vote, than they had all year previous.

Not that I have a need for another weapon, but I would like a good hunting/military style .223 for my son and they are outrageous right now.
Look at the Century sporter "Golani" Galil clone. Price has actually fallen. They are on backorder at most places right now. But, they can be found. If you want a military style gun, that one is available. Now, if you want a AR15, good luck.

If you want an inexpensive hunting .223, look at Rossi or New England Firearm/Harrington and Richardson.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Alexamenos: If you want one gun for multi-purpose applications with great effectiveness, then that one gun has to be a 12 gauge shotgun.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
Look at the Century sporter "Golani" Galil clone. Price has actually fallen. They are on backorder at most places right now. But, they can be found. If you want a military style gun, that one is available. Now, if you want a AR15, good luck.

If you want an inexpensive hunting .223, look at Rossi or New England Firearm/Harrington and Richardson.
Dalmations, I was going to suggest NEF (New England Firearms) too. I just saw one on gunbroker.com for less than $100. However, it's a break-top action, which means single shot. No semi-auto.

I was just looking also at the Galil/Golani sporters on gunbroker.com, which is what I bought (before the election, I haven't bought any guns since the election), and there are several of those available, ranging from $700-$900. However, I bought mine from a wholesaler, not at auction. Check out www.classicarms.us. They don't have any listed right now, because they sold out, but I'm sure they will have them again.

If you're going to hunt with a .223, double check the gun laws. I don't know if it's an issue or not in TX, but in some states it's illegal to hunt deer with a 22 caliber bullet. Varmints I'm sure are fine anywhere.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefelump View Post
If you're going to hunt with a .223, double check the gun laws. I don't know if it's an issue or not in TX, but in some states it's illegal to hunt deer with a 22 caliber bullet. Varmints I'm sure are fine anywhere.
I try not to take the Hornet with me too often...........LOL

Ideally I'd take a Remmington R-25 in .243 ---- but they are a little pricey right now for me.

I tend to shoot larger calibers, but my son is a little light in the backside right now.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
I try not to take the Hornet with me too often...........LOL

Ideally I'd take a Remmington R-25 in .243 ---- but they are a little pricey right now for me.

I tend to shoot larger calibers, but my son is a little light in the backside right now.
7 mm Mauser and 6.5 Swede Mauser are two other options that would be likely inexpensive and without much of a kick at all.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
Underdog: [we now return you to your regularly scheduled fear-based circle jerk...]

Be Prepared- Scout Motto.

Being prepared is not a function of fear.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbwinn View Post
7 mm Mauser and 6.5 Swede Mauser are two other options that would be likely inexpensive and without much of a kick at all.
I am looking at a Romanian Dragonov Sniper Rifle right now. Just undecided if I want to drop $800 on a sniper rifle for him (when I am the one who wants it). I am also looking at some SKS in 7.62 and a couple of mini 14's in .223.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
I am looking at a Romanian Dragonov Sniper Rifle right now. Just undecided if I want to drop $800 on a sniper rifle for him (when I am the one who wants it). I am also looking at some SKS in 7.62 and a couple of mini 14's in .223.
I have been looking at the Dragonov too. I met a guy at a gun range who had one, and he completely loved it. From what I saw, it was pretty accurate too. But I would have a hard time dropping $800 on a gun for my son too. It would definitely be MINE. My only functional objection to this gun is it has a stamped receiver, and not steel milled. But I'm not sure how much that really matters.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Riots in Greece:

Quote:
"Critics say that the government has lost control over the tactical management of the crisis, with radical anarchists burning shops, cars, banks and even government buildings, including the Hellenic Parliament Foundation and the Foreign Ministry's diplomatic academy. Some 320 stores, 50 banks and a number of civilian buildings have been damaged or destroyed in Athens, with another 100 stores in the northern city of Thessaloniki targeted. There have also been outbreaks of violence in several small cities and on the island of Corfu.

In Athens' Syntagma square, just across from Parliament, protesters set ablaze the large Christmas tree. Today, more clashes took place in the square and the surrounding streets as police used tear gas to break up a large group of protestors throwing rocks at the Parliament building. Later in the afternoon clashes resumed in downtown Athens with youth groups barricaded in the Athens Polytechnic School, near the Exarchia district, setting up roadblocks outside the School, burning cars and bus stops."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2008120...08599186532600

Now, what would happen in Texas if people were throwing rocks and setting fires across the cities and landscape?

Answer: The armed citizens of Texas would prevent the sort of situation Greece is seeing.

Discussion: An armed populace is the best guarantee of peace. A police squad and military system cannot maintain peace and cannot take care of you.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

Quote:
When you say "Romanian Dragunov", are you referring to the 7.62x54 "PSL" weapon? I have considered one as well primarily because it will be available for a short time, sale out, and then climb in value as the supply is gone. The other nice thing about that gun is that it shoots the very cheapest surplus military ammo on the planet right now.... Downside is what Jefelump noted: it has a stamped receiver. The AK47 design originally used stamped receivers. The Russians kept track of how many times they had been shot and scheduled the guns for destruction (or at least schedule to replace the receiver). But, then the various countries with these weapons discovered that the eager US Market would buy these guns that were scheduled for destruction. So, that is always my fear with an original AK47 inspired gun with an original stamped receiver. I very much prefer the guns that have a new US made milled steel receiver with the parts kit coming from Romania or elsewhere... So, I haven't bought one. Eventually, the various US companies that make clone receivers will make a milled steel receiver for that gun. Then, I'll be very interested...

Consider the Yugoslavian M76 "Sniper" 8 mm AK47 type gun. They had the cheap stamped receivers as well. But, Ohio Rapid Firearms makes a milled steel receiver for them. You can get one of those with a receiver that will last hundreds of years if cared for. J&G Sales (jgsales.com) is advertising that gun for 1750 dollars in the Shotgun News. I can't find it online at J&G. But, you can get the complete kit WITH the American receiver at ORF (Ohio Rapid Firearms) much cheaper. You just need someone to put it together.

I am not a fan of the SKS. Just my opinion. They are sloppy, inaccurate guns. The Russians made some that are reportedly more accurate. But, the Yugo I once owned disgusted me and I sold it off.

Ruger has made huge improvements in the mini Ranch and mini 30. They offer the "Target" model now. Basically, Ruger noted how many aftermarket companies were taking their guns and improving them for good money. So, Ruger started making the improvements themselves. However, A Ruger Mini Ranch Target gun will cost you more than the Dragunov you were looking at.

An old standard Ruger Ranch .223 is not a very accurate gun. I'm not a fan of it either. But, that is just my opinion.

If a gun isn't accurate, I don't keep it. Can't stand sloppy, inaccurate guns, or guns that malfunction.

Tags
freaky voodoo > guns, guns