Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'The Scream' stolen in broad daylight!!

Armed robbers steal 'The Scream'
Sunday, August 22, 2004 Posted: 1240 GMT (2040 HKT)

OSLO, Norway (CNN) -- Masked robbers stormed into an art museum in Norway and stole Edvard Munch's famous paintings "The Scream" and "Madonna" at gunpoint before the eyes of stunned museum-goers.

Sunday's raid happened in broad daylight at the the Oslo museum named after the Norwegian artist.

"They knew exactly where the paintings were and took them down from the wall," Jorunn Christophersen, head of information for the Munch Museum, told CNN.

The thieves also stole Munch's "Madonna."

"They are our most valuable paintings," Christophersen said.

She disputed a report that the paintings were unguarded, saying an alarm sounded after they pulled the paintings off the wall.

"There is an alarm system and [the paintings] are stuck to the wall with solid screws but they have just used force in taking the Munch [paintings] away," she said.

Christopherson also said the robbers threatened the guards with guns, as they headed out to their getaway car.

Eyewitness Marketa Cajova told NTB public radio: "He was wearing a black face mask and something that looked like a gun to force a female security guard down on the floor."

Police Spokesman Kjell Moerk told radio network NRK: "We don't have all the details on the situation, but we are searching for the suspects in the air and on land."

It is the second time in 10 years that "The Scream" has been stolen.

In February 1994, the work was taken and remained missing for nearly three months.

Police ultimately recovered the work undamaged in a hotel in Asgardstrand, about 40 miles south of the capital, Oslo. Three Norwegians were arrested.

At the time, investigators said the trio tried to ransom the painting, demanding $1 million from the government. It was never paid.

As yet there has been no ransom demand from the robbers behind Sunday's raid, Christophersen said.

Munch, a Norwegian painter and graphic artist who worked in Germany as well as his home country, developed an emotionally charged style that was of great importance in the birth of the 20th century Expressionist movement.

He painted "The Scream" in 1893, as part of his "Frieze of Life" series, in which sickness, death, anxiety, and love are central themes. He died in 1944 at the age of 81.

The National Art Museum owns 58 paintings by Munch

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road
Default RE:'The Scream' stolen in broad daylight!!

I saw this. Very disturbing. The security at the Norwegian museum is too lax. They ought to have bars come down once the alarm is triggered, ect. like at many other museums.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the "The Scream" was one of the most popular prints..but according to artprints.com, these are the best selling prints in the United States right now. I only recognize the last two.

Title: Master Bedroom Artist: Andrew Wyeth

Title: The Singing Butler Artist: Jack Vettriano

Title: Phares dans la tempete la jument Artist: Jean Guichard

Title: The Starry Night Artist: Van Gogh

Title: Son of Man Artist: Rene Magritte

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Norway is one of the safest countries in the world; crime is ridiculously, ridiculously low there. Police officers there don't carry guns, and I assume museum guards don't either. That said, I can't believe they've let their national artistic masterpiece, Den Skrike, be stolen again.

I was teaching Norwegian to American kids at a camp in Minnesota when it was stolen last. We had riotous fun with a "Find The Scream!" game we invented, which involved hiding those ubiquitous Scream inflatable dolls around camp. I hanged one from a tree, noose-style, and inadvertantly traumatized a little camper.

Ah, this brings back such fond memories for me...
Old 08-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Sinn Fein

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
Norway is one of the safest countries in the world; crime is ridiculously, ridiculously low there. Police officers there don't carry guns, and I assume museum guards don't either. That said, I can't believe they've let their national artistic masterpiece, Den Skrike, be stolen again.

I was teaching Norwegian to American kids at a camp in Minnesota when it was stolen last. We had riotous fun with a "Find The Scream!" game we invented, which involved hiding those ubiquitous Scream inflatable dolls around camp. I hanged one from a tree, noose-style, and inadvertantly traumatized a little camper.

Ah, this brings back such fond memories for me...

Last time I was in Oslo the officers had guns. Regardless, most museums with high priced art still have things like a alarm trigger system. Once the painting is removed, if even able to be removed, gates will close off the exits, things like this are common at museums with high priced work, regardless of "safety" of the locations. The piece has been stolen from Norway several times, crime obviously isn't THAT low, especially when it comes to pieces which would rake in some 50 mill.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I wasn't justifying Munch Museet's ineptitude in guarding a national treasure that has already been stolen once. I was simply saying that, unfortunately, Norwegians aren't very good at dealing with such crime – and unfortunately aren't very good at it. Obviously.

When were you in Oslo? This gun-toting thing must be new. I wonder if they're carrying them throughout the country or just in the capital?
Old 08-22-2004, 05:43 PM   #7
Sinn Fein

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
I wasn't justifying Munch Museet's ineptitude in guarding a national treasure that has already been stolen once. I was simply saying that, unfortunately, Norwegians aren't very good at dealing with such crime – and unfortunately aren't very good at it. Obviously.

When were you in Oslo? This gun-toting thing must be new. I wonder if they're carrying them throughout the country or just in the capital?
Oh by no means was I asserting that you were defending the laxness of the museum. Last time I was in Oslo was November of 2003. I don't know if it was just for Oslo, mabye there was a particular reason, but the cops I saw had guns.

I am guessing you are Norwegian sturm und drang [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Where do ye hail from in Norway? I love the country personally, great people, beautiful scenery.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of
Default RE: 'The Scream' stolen in broad daylight!!

I bet Dirk77 has a new picture hanging in his pool room.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

did they ever recover this thing?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:59 PM   #10
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Where is Sinn Fein?

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote