Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
What else could they have done? Word is they offered literally everything short of Dirk several times, including right before they greenlighted the Chandler trade. If the Hornets change their mind now, and they end up trading him to someone else for cap relief, I'm just not sure what else the Mavs could have done?
I don't think it matters. The bottom line is it's up to them to read the market correctly. It may not be completely fair, but if you fold your hand with Damp and then a weak later Paul is traded for cap relief, you deserve to be questioned and criticized.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't think it matters. The bottom line is it's up to them to read the market correctly. It may not be completely fair, but if you fold your hand with Damp and then a weak later Paul is traded for cap relief, you deserve to be questioned and criticized.
But if you hold onto Damp and still don't get Paul, then you deserve to be crucified...

Better to blow your load early than to go to sleep with blue balls...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only thing that's supposedly changed is that Chris Paul has demanded to be traded. How are the Mavericks supposed to know what goes on in Chris Paul's head?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But if you hold onto Damp and still don't get Paul, then you deserve to be crucified...

Better to blow your load early than to go to sleep with blue balls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
The only thing that's supposedly changed is that Chris Paul has demanded to be traded. How are the Mavericks supposed to know what goes on in Chris Paul's head?
Again, not saying it's an easy decision or even completely fair to criticize them.

But the entire focus of the Mavs front office is to stay in position to acquire a superstar if one ever comes available. And if one comes available so quickly, and the difference in not getting him ends up being that they traded Damp a week too soon, I don't really see how it makes sense to let them off the hook for that. Again, it's their job to read the market.

I imagine it's all moot, because I have to believe they talked to New Orleans and were told that either:

A. They're not ever, under any circumstances trading Chris Paul, no matter what he says (most likely).

B. If they do ever trade Paul, they're looking for more young talent than the Mavs have, and aren't that interested in a salary dump (seems plausible)

C. They don't really see much distinction between the instant expiring of Damp and a true expiring like Chandler (possible, I suppose).

I can't believe the Mavs traded Damp before getting concrete proof that one of those three scenarios was true.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't just say it's not completely fair, I'd say it's completely unfair to expect them to do anything more than make repeated efforts to offer everything we have except the one guy who we're keeping.

There's reading the market, and then there's reading minds. When the Hornets tell you "no" over and over and over and you've offered everything you've got, it'd be unreasonable to sit around and insist to yourself that they still might change their mind anytime soon. It's especially unreasonable when you have an asset whose trade value only lasts for so much longer.

You hope (maybe even expect) they change their mind awhile down the road, but it'd be unreasonable under these circumstances to prepare for the contingency that a week or two later they do a complete 180.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-22-2010 at 06:58 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't just say it's not completely fair, I'd say it's completely unfair to expect them to do anything more than make repeated efforts to offer everything we have except the one guy who we're keeping.

There's reading the market, and then there's reading minds. When the Hornets tell you "no" over and over and over and you've offered everything you've got, it'd be unreasonable to sit around and insist to yourself that they still might change their mind anytime soon. It's especially unreasonable when you have an asset whose trade value only lasts for so much longer.

You hope (maybe even expect) they change their mind awhile down the road, but it'd be unreasonable under these circumstances to prepare for the contingency that a week or two later they do a complete 180.
This.

I think the Mavs have done as much homework on the Paul situation as anyone can reasonably expect. The probability that New Orleans would suddenly do an about-face before the season is so low that it's irrational to make your plans based off that.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:

I could add two more things that speak for the front office (if I remember the the chronology of events correctly):

- first the Hornets GM Bower was fired in part because he wouldn't stop entertaining the idea of getting Paul his wish and trade him away (btw, without him being as obviously disgruntled as he is now, NO then would have had much more leverage in trade talks than now)
- then TC was almost included in a three-team trade and shipped to Toronto, so when the Mavs jumped in at this point to acquire him and dump Carroll and Najera in the process (maybe the last chance to do so), vague pledges to finish the deal at some point later in the offseason wouldn't have been enough for Charlotte to walk away from that trade

With the secondary goal on mind of dumping some bad contracts to increase their willingness to acquire new ones in a future trade, and seemingly no way of getting a (Super-)Star player this offseason, the MBT had no longer control over the timing of such a deal, or at least not enough incentive to keep control over it.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What is even more unfair is that even in trading the dampier chip for chandler instead of AlJefferson (who I still like better than chandler) they kept their powder dry on being able to do the deal. I find this criticism unwarranted.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have to agree with you that it is not being fair. It's impossible to be a mind reader. Just like the Orlando deal last year, stuff happens and you are sitting there with damp all over your face. Should they have known Gortat would be matched???

In the same breath should they know that NO is going to do this? If it's better for NO's to wait a year then they wait a year. It's completely their call and arbitrary, I don't see much market read at all for this. The mavs obviously had some inkling that this might happen as they tried the kitchen sink approach earlier but NO's were not buying. Who would know CP3 more than they do and yet they didn't see this coming.

Knowing the market doesn't mean every stock pick is correct.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
masting and striking? wtf, ur mom's fadge stinks, wtf is "fadge"?