Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up C.J.Miles

I think we should really try hard to get this guy, I've seen him play a couple of times in limited minuted and this kid has really shown some potential. I think this guy can be good, and by good I mean really good. Miles was drafted straight from High school here in Dallas and there are even rumors that he would like to play here in his hometown. I think we could at least give him a chance, but anyway here is a short clip of C.J throwing one down on Amare Stoudewhiner: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b0rE-Wsemq0, you can bash me if you want but I can see this guy becoming the Sg we have needed since Fin left.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Do you have a video of him shooting, because that's kinda what we need from our Shooting Guard. Plus, what could we possibly give to Utah that they would want, without giving too much?
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Heres a pretty good clip of him (#34): http://youtube.com/watch?v=D4SdS6MPle0&feature=related

Also, Miles is a RFA so the Mavs only have to make an offer that the Jazz won't match. I don't know how much that is, but we only have the MLE to work with.

From what I've seen, he would easily be the most athletic person on our team, outside of maybe Wright. Also, when he played against us this season he slashed and got putbacks on us GS style.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The greatest positive attribute about CJ is that he's left handed. Don't underestimate that.

I would take Reyshawn and CJ over Gerald Green and James White anyday of the week.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Let's focus on free agency. The Mavs have the midlevel exception ($5.4 million or so) to spend and will probably try to sign more than one player with it. That means they'll have to do some discount shopping.

Beyond trade scenarios, the remaining free agents who might intrigue the Mavericks include Chicago's Chris Duhon, Denver's Eduardo Najera, Golden State's Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, Miami's Earl Barron and Utah's C.J. Miles.

Any of those names intrigue you folks?

Everbody loves Eduardo Najera, but this team already has too many unathletic old guys. Barnes is a more athletic, heavily tattooed version of Devean George. Pietrus would give the Mavs a major boost of athleticism and can shoot the 3, but does this team want a guy whose toughness has been questioned?

My favorite name on the list: C.J. Miles. He's been pretty much buried on the Jazz's bench since being a second-round pick straight outta Skyline High. But the 6-6, 220-pound 21-year-old would be the Mavs' most athletic shooting guard and showed signs of significant development in his limited playing time this season. He'd be a lottery pick in this draft. He could be another Brandon Bass or Gana Diop -- a talented kid who didn't pan out for his first team and blossoms after the Mavs get him on the cheap.

Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about Miles making Josh Howard-like off-court decisions. C.J. is a goody-goody whose idea of a good time is playing upbeat songs on the piano.
Link
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Do you have a video of him shooting, because that's kinda what we need from our Shooting Guard. Plus, what could we possibly give to Utah that they would want, without giving too much?
Yes he can shoot very well, he has a jumpshot that can be trusted imho, and he also has major ups also. I hope we get this kid
Old 05-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Miles can lay them down he would be a great pick up for the Mavs.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

C.J. to stay?

After three seasons with the Jazz, C.J. Miles describes himself as almost like brothers with Williams. Miles, Ronnie Brewer and Paul Millsap are the "Three Amigos," so described because if you see one of them, you'll likely see all three.
His first preference would be to stay with the Jazz, but Miles is expected to go through a second summer as a restricted free agent. The Jazz are expected to tender him a $1.2 million qualifying offer that would enable them to match any deal Miles would sign.
"Of course, I feel like right now the best thing for me is to be able to play consistently and more minutes to help myself and my game to be able to grow even more," Miles said. "I think I've shown as far as the coaches and especially to myself that I can play in this league."
Miles, 21, averaged 5.0 points in 11.3 minutes this season, often bouncing from the starting lineup as an injury replacement to the 11th man on the bench.
With his free-agent future uncertain, Miles opted not to play in the Rocky Mountain Revue last summer. Miles said he didn't think the Jazz would ask him to play in this year's summer league.
The Jazz have a surplus of young shooting guards with Brewer, Kyle Korver and Morris Almond, which could leave Miles expendable. "You could look at that that way," Sloan said, "but you can't throw away your future just because of numbers."
Counting Miles, the Jazz would have 14 players under contract. O'Connor prefers not to fill the 15th spot on the roster in case he has to take back an extra player in a two-for-one trade. The Jazz also own the No. 23 pick in the June 26 draft.

That's from the SLC Tribune.
I say go after him as hard as you can. He's worth it.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
That's from the SLC Tribune.
I say go after him as hard as you can. He's worth it.
I totally agree. Use as much of the MLE as you need to get him, and hopefully you'll have enough left to re-acquire Diop.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
LSMF
Diamond Member

Damn it sucks he might stay in Utah, I really hope we find some way to get him in Dallas, I can easily see him becoming a stud and I'm sure Dirk, Jet, Carlisie and Kidd will all have a positive influence on him and help him.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

With Deron/Brewer/Korver, Miles won't be getting much PT at either guard positions IMHO. Come home to Dallas young man, come home to Dallas.

Contact Me
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
LSMF
Diamond Member

Hey good News Guys!

C.J. Miles plans to test market
2:38 PM Mon, May 19, 2008 |
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

A regular emailer sent me this link from the Salt Lake Tribune because of the news that The Colony's Deron Williams expects to sign a five-year extension with the Jazz. He figured MFFLs should know that the elite point guard wouldn't be suiting up for his hometown team anytime soon, but I was more interested in the second note about another local kid.

The Mavs acquiring Williams would be a pipe dream at best, but Skyline alum C.J. Miles coming to Dallas could be realistic.

His first preference would be to stay with the Jazz, but Miles is expected to go through a second summer as a restricted free agent. The Jazz are expected to tender him a $1.2 million qualifying offer that would enable them to match any deal Miles would sign. "Of course, I feel like right now the best thing for me is to be able to play consistently and more minutes to help myself and my game to be able to grow even more," Miles said. "I think I've shown as far as the coaches and especially to myself that I can play in this league."

Miles, 21, averaged 5.0 points in 11.3 minutes this season, often bouncing from the starting lineup as an injury replacement to the 11th man on the bench.

I've already lobbied for Miles, who would immediately be the Mavs' most athletic shooting guard. If Mark Cuban and Co. split the midlevel exception between Miles and Gana Diop, they'll get great reviews from this here blog.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan
Hey good News Guys!

A regular emailer sent me this link from the Salt Lake Tribune because of the news that The Colony's Deron Williams expects to sign a five-year extension with the Jazz. He figured MFFLs should know that the elite point guard wouldn't be suiting up for his hometown team anytime soon, but I was more interested in the second note about another local kid.

The Mavs acquiring Williams would be a pipe dream at best, but Skyline alum C.J. Miles coming to Dallas could be realistic.

His first preference would be to stay with the Jazz, but Miles is expected to go through a second summer as a restricted free agent. The Jazz are expected to tender him a $1.2 million qualifying offer that would enable them to match any deal Miles would sign. "Of course, I feel like right now the best thing for me is to be able to play consistently and more minutes to help myself and my game to be able to grow even more," Miles said. "I think I've shown as far as the coaches and especially to myself that I can play in this league."

I've already lobbied for Miles, who would immediately be the Mavs' most athletic shooting guard. If Mark Cuban and Co. split the midlevel exception between Miles and Gana Diop, they'll get great reviews from this here blog.

I feel a tingle in my off-season pants...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I feel a tingle in my off-season pants...
You're just too funny Underdog lol
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're just too funny Underdog lol
Nah - just "funny enough!"

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-19-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey good News Guys!

My eyes just about had an orgasm reading this. As Skyline graduate I have only one thing to say let's find a way to bring my fellow alumni home.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect Dallas to make him an offer, they just better not low-ball and hope that "home cooking" will give a discount.

What Miles has said isn't shocking to me. He, himself, didn't say his first option is to stay in Utah, the SLC Tribune said that. No quotes around that first option: Utah.
He wants to do what is the best for him to get time to play, he's shown the potential to grow into something.

A platoon of G/Fs in Utah where it'll be harder for him to find time or...
An open starting spot, or top tier bench minutes in your old stomping grounds.

Hmmm...

Please, just don't low ball him.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #18
peruna11

peruna11 is on a distinguished road

I've heard of CJ Miles, but have not really watched him play. How is his defensive game? I read that a lot of people are wanting all of these scorers, such as maggette and miller, but can any of them be a lock down defender?
peruna11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

He obviously isn't known for his defense, but he is long and quick, he stays active. The important thing is the same positives with his offensive ability, he is still young. He can be taught defensive mechanics and etc.

He can still do so many more things, the template is there.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-19-2008 at 08:49 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

He hit 390 from 3 point range last year............He's 21............ He had one game where he played 30 minutes. Here is the line:

29 points 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 12-17 from the field, 4-6 from 3!!!!!!!!!

and he's only 21!

We have needed a two for so long, what can we offer him that Utah won't match?
4 mill? 5 mill? the whole MLE? What will it take? We might be able to still sign Diop with the LLE and find others for minimum or trades.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

These two players came into the league the same year. They are both 6'6" and play some SG. Which guy would you prefer? Why?

G Min FGM-A FTM-A 3PTM-A REB AS ST BK PTS
#1CAREER 159 2744 275-661 101-162 52-184 353 147 62 34 703
#2CAREER 126 1295 186-442 73-99 44-137 156 94 52 14 489

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman
He hit 390 from 3 point range last year............He's 21............ He had one game where he played 30 minutes. Here is the line:

29 points 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 12-17 from the field, 4-6 from 3!!!!!!!!!

and he's only 21!

We have needed a two for so long, what can we offer him that Utah won't match?
4 mill? 5 mill? the whole MLE? What will it take? We might be able to still sign Diop with the LLE and find others for minimum or trades.
I'm pretty sure we don't have the LLE this year.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #23
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

#2, much better per minute averages
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #24
peruna11

peruna11 is on a distinguished road

Even if we got CJ Miles and were somehow going trade and get Maggette or Miller we would still be very suspect on defense. I agree with many of you in the sense that we need some more youth and scorers but our defense would not improve very much. I hope we can get Diop back, but who is going to guard our opponents top scorers? Howard, Kidd, Stack, Terry, and George couldn't do it. Miles would help, but it still seems like we need more defensive help. I hope we can manage to get Quinton Ross some how so he can be our defensive stopper. He's not an excellent 3 point shooter, but has a pretty good midrange shot, is unselfish, and is a very physical defender. He only made 800K this past season so he could come to us very cheap, and it also helps he is from Dallas too.
peruna11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peruna11
Even if we got CJ Miles and were somehow going trade and get Maggette or Miller we would still be very suspect on defense. I agree with many of you in the sense that we need some more youth and scorers but our defense would not improve very much. I hope we can get Diop back, but who is going to guard our opponents top scorers? Howard, Kidd, Stack, Terry, and George couldn't do it. Miles would help, but it still seems like we need more defensive help. I hope we can manage to get Quinton Ross some how so he can be our defensive stopper. He's not an excellent 3 point shooter, but has a pretty good midrange shot, is unselfish, and is a very physical defender. He only made 800K this past season so he could come to us very cheap, and it also helps he is from Dallas too.
A lineup of

Kidd
Maggette/Miller
Howard
Dirk
Damp

wouldn't be the best defensive team but they certainly wouldn't be bad either. No worse than say, the 07 Mavs. Carlisle will have this team playing great defense either way. But make no mistake about it, we desperately need another scorer.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
These two players came into the league the same year. They are both 6'6" and play some SG. Which guy would you prefer? Why?

G Min FGM-A FTM-A 3PTM-A REB AS ST BK PTS
#1CAREER 159 2744 275-661 101-162 52-184 353 147 62 34 703
#2CAREER 126 1295 186-442 73-99 44-137 156 94 52 14 489
I think I go with #2 because of the 3pt shooting. However, he is a bit of a risk because of the relatively low mpg. BTW, I am pretty sure I know who these guys are and it does raise an interesting question or two.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #27
BGMaverick9
Guru

#2 definitely gives you more bang for you buck. If he gets more minutes or more game-time he'll hopefully give you more than 1, if it's a level playing field.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
#2 definitely gives you more bang for you buck. If he gets more minutes or more game-time he'll hopefully give you more than 1, if it's a level playing field.
I don't agree here, IMO, it begs to question WHY he wasn't getting more minutes.

Answer:
#1: Antoine Wright
#2: CJ Miles

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #29
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't agree here, IMO, it begs to question WHY he wasn't getting more minutes.

Answer:
#1: Antoine Wright
#2: CJ Miles
Yep that's what I guessed, and now the questions are:
1) Do you really need both of these guys?
2) If not, then do you look to secure Wright or let him go and fish for Miles. Not an easy decision imo. Wright has a bit of history with JKidd and looked pretty good in limited minutes with the Mavs (more mpg with the Nets). Miles has a lot of potential but is still very questionable as a starting or major minutes SG. Also, you have got to ask the question why did the Jazz go out and trade for Korver when they had Miles sitting on their bench? Do you really want to go fishing for a RFA when you've got a comparable guy who is likely to be a whole lot easier to sign?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog
Yep that's what I guessed, and now the questions are:
1) Do you really need both of these guys?
2) If not, then do you look to secure Wright or let him go and fish for Miles. Not an easy decision imo. Wright has a bit of history with JKidd and looked pretty good in limited minutes with the Mavs (more mpg with the Nets). Miles has a lot of potential but is still very questionable as a starting or major minutes SG. Also, you have got to ask the question why did the Jazz go out and trade for Korver when they had Miles sitting on their bench? Do you really want to go fishing for a RFA when you've got a comparable guy who is likely to be a whole lot easier to sign?
exactly

and question #3:

Does CJ Miles fit the need for a SG that can win NOW with Dirk in his prime? I am not saying he won't be a great one, but will he be great within the next 2-3 years when Dirk/Kidd are here?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
exactly

and question #3:

Does CJ Miles fit the need for a SG that can win NOW with Dirk in his prime? I am not saying he won't be a great one, but will he be great within the next 2-3 years when Dirk/Kidd are here?
Dalm, I don't think anyone here expects him to start next year if we signed him. We just want more youth on the team. For the starting spot I think we're all hoping to trade for a big name player.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
Eman

Quote:
I expect Dallas to make him an offer, they just better not low-ball and hope that "home cooking" will give a discount.

What Miles has said isn't shocking to me. He, himself, didn't say his first option is to stay in Utah, the SLC Tribune said that. No quotes around that first option: Utah.
He wants to do what is the best for him to get time to play, he's shown the potential to grow into something.

A platoon of G/Fs in Utah where it'll be harder for him to find time or...
An open starting spot, or top tier bench minutes in your old stomping grounds.

Hmmm...

Please, just don't low ball him.
He is a restricted free agent. He can't just choose to come to Dallas, if we low-ball, Utah can match and he has to stay with the Jazz.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
BGMaverick9
Guru

That's why I said don't just low-ball and hope Utah doesn't have any plans for him. If it's low, they'll be like it's low-risk, just go ahead and match it.

That's why Cuban and Donnie need to go big.

He might not fit in the 2-3 year prime window for Dirk but he has the potential to be a bigger part of the picture way past that prime. The kid is still learning and showing very strong potential.

And why would you want both Wright and Miles? B/c you can never have a enough good young guards. How many of those do we have on our roster now?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #34
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Pistons Seek a Swingman: The Pistons are in the process of finding a new swingman and are believed to be close to offer C.J. Miles of the Utah Jazz an offer sheet. Miles is yet another young, athletic player with a nice perimeter offensive game. He's still only 21 years old and has shown flashes of potential in his limited playing time. He could fit in nicely with a Pistons squad hoping to increase their overall athleticism. The Pistons are also said to be interested in bringing back Carlos Delfino (restricted free agent in Toronto) and Walter Herrmann.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 AM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

dammit
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #36
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'd rather him be in Detroit than Utah.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #37
alby
Guru

True, send the talent to the east!

Contact Me
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If Utah lets Miles go for teh MLE or less and he blossoms like I think he will, I will be forced to beat this board down with a very Chum-like obcession.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #39
alby
Guru

Good, we need more posters like Chum on this board IMHO.

Here's to CJ =]

Contact Me
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #40
bao_down1

bao_down1 is on a distinguished road

We need a SHOOTING guard that can SHOOT!

CJ MIles is a great looking player but can he shoot is the question
bao_down1 is offline   Reply With Quote