Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice
Question Mav's 61st pick

Posted on: Friday, June 27, 2008
Low invited to play on Mavs' summer teams
Read comments (2)Recommend
Print this page
E-mail this article
By Wes Nakama
Advertiser Staff Writer

As expected, former three-time Advertiser State Player of the Year Derrick Low was not among the 60 players selected in yesterday's NBA Draft, but his dream of becoming the first Hawai'i-grown player to make an NBA roster since the 1950s is still alive.

Low — a 2004 'Iolani School graduate from Honolulu and standout at Washington State University — has been invited to play for the Dallas Mavericks' summer league teams in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City next month. Low's agent, Sam Goldfeder, notified him shortly after the draft ended last night and Donnie Nelson, Dallas' president of basketball operations, called Low at about 8:15 p.m. to personally extend the invitation.

The summer league teams generally consist of drafted and undrafted rookies, players who just completed their first year in the NBA, plus free agents and players from the NBA's Developmental League.

Low, a 6-foot-1 point guard who had a personal workout with the Mavericks on Tuesday before returning to Honolulu that night for the first time in 10 months, said he expects to leave Hawai'i next week to prepare for the leagues.

"For sure I would have loved to be drafted, but sometimes it works out better to be a free agent rather than being drafted in the second round," Low said. "There was some disappointment, but I didn't get too down. Now I have an opportunity to make the NBA through the back door, so I have to make the most of it."

Low had personal workouts with five NBA teams prior to the draft: the Mavericks, New Jersey Nets, Golden State Warriors, Phoenix Suns and Seattle SuperSonics.

"Donnie Nelson said, 'We selected you with the 61st pick,' " Low said. "He said they're looking forward to having me join them and he likes the kind of player I am, he said I know how to play basketball. He said he has me (labeled) as an NBA player, so I'm glad he has that trust and faith in me."

Goldfeder, a Beverly Hills, Calif.-based agent whose Excel Sports Management firm already has several NBA clients, said the Mavericks "are very excited to have" Low.

"With Derrick's talent and perseverance, especially his doggedness, he's always got a shot," Goldfeder said.

"He'll be playing in both the Las Vegas and Rocky Mountain Review leagues, so he'll have a long summer to show his wares. Derrick will always play hard, so that will always result in good things."

Low said he will trust in what has gotten him to this point, on the doorstep of realizing a childhood dream.

"I'm just going to play my game and do what I did in the (Dallas) workout, because I had to have left an impression with them," Low said. "I know I'm getting close (to the NBA), it's right in front of me now.

"It should be fun. I can't wait."
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

good luck to him...maybe hes a hidden gem
Old 06-28-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

seems like a nice kid, if nothing else. Anyone have some stats or opinions on him?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey
seems like a nice kid, if nothing else. Anyone have some stats or opinions on him?
http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/m-...derrick00.html

and also check

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Derrick-Low-1166/

Against Vanderbilt, Low displayed the ability to create his own shot, and hit difficult shots on the move. He knocked down both three pointers and floaters from mid-range over bigger defenders. Off the dribble, Low can change directions quickly, and his shifty nature is very hard for opposing defenses to cover. He hit many key shots for Washington State against Vanderbilt, many coming when it seemed like momentum was shifting away from the Cougars In addition to scoring and handling the ball well, he also plays tough defense, and gives a great all-around effort on the court.

Irony is that he and Shaun Foster should be very familiar with one another.

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 06-28-2008 at 01:34 AM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
DIRKNOWITZKI

DIRKNOWITZKI is on a distinguished road

my boy JaJuan Smith is on the summer league squad too
DIRKNOWITZKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Low, a 6-foot-1 point guard who had a personal workout with the Mavericks on Tuesday before returning to Honolulu that night for the first time in 10 months, said he expects to leave Hawai'i next week to prepare for the leagues.
And expects to return to Hawaii shortly after.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

^^hahaha

He can shoot tho..
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

His game will absolutely not translate to the NBA.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Shan Foster is pretty good~

Last edited by horse900703; 07-13-2008 at 08:00 PM.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Who?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

"Donnie Nelson said, 'We selected you with the 61st pick,"

He tries to sound like the Maverick's are making good decisions, but really it's just a cool phrase to cover up the fact that the Mavs did not make any movies for any of the decent free agents this year, and didn't try to get a higher draft pick.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote