Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-28-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baylor Hoopster Missing

Dennehy missing since June 11; foul play suspected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

WACO, Texas -- Some of Patrick Dennehy's teammates might be suspects in the disappearance of the Baylor basketball player, police said Friday.

Dennehy, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound center, has not been seen or heard from in more than two weeks.

While police have not found a body, department spokesman Steven Anderson said they "have received information from several sources that would lead investigators to believe that foul play was involved."

In a written statement, Anderson said police were looking into whether Dennehy might have been killed in the Waco area. A sport utility vehicle belonging to Dennehy was found this week in Virginia Beach, Va.

"From that lead and others, potential suspects in the disappearance of Dennehy potentially include fellow Baylor basketball players,'' Anderson said. "Information about possible crime scenes are currently being investigated.''

The statement did not elaborate on the possible connection of Baylor players to Dennehy's disappearance.

Police records supervisor Tommy Tull said Friday night that he could not release any additional information and that Anderson was out of the office. Anderson plans a news briefing Monday on the case.

Virginia Beach police spokesman Jimmy Barnes said at least one Waco detective flew in Thursday to examine an SUV found without license plates in a strip mall. The mall's owner had it towed as an abandoned vehicle.

The towing company reported the vehicle's identification number to Virginia Beach police, Barnes said. Police then checked the number on a national law enforcement database and found it was wanted by Waco police in connection with a missing person.

Baylor coach Dave Bliss could not be reached for comment Friday night. Earlier this week, Bliss said the team remained hopeful that Dennehy would eventually turn up unharmed.

"Obviously, we've got tremendous concerns," Bliss said. "We are prayerful, we're concerned, we're anxious, we're apprehensive. We just pray for this to be resolved, and we look forward to him returning to our team.''

Dennehy, who played high school basketball in Santa Clara, Calif., sat out last season after transferring from New Mexico and was expected to vie for playing time this fall. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Dennehy had an impressive but controversial two-year stint at New Mexico under former Lobos coach Fran Fraschilla.

Midway through his freshman season at New Mexico, Dennehy said he might transfer at year's end because of a lack of playing time. Dennehy eventually saw more action and became the third-leading freshman rebounder in school history.

As a sophomore in the 2001-2002 season, Dennehy averaged 10.6 points and 7.5 rebounds, but his season was clouded by a number of problems. During a game against Air Force in February 2002, Dennehy argued on court with teammates, shoved a one of them, kicked over a chair and stalked off to the locker room. He didn't return to the game.

Fraschilla declined to discipline Dennehy, and the team physician said the player was being treated for "a confidential medical condition."

Fraschilla resigned under pressure in March 2002, and Ritchie McKay was hired later that month. Less than two weeks later, Dennehy had another flare-up during practice. McKay dismissed him from the team.

A month later, Dennehy announced he had accepted a scholarship to play for former New Mexico coach Bliss.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

This is a very unfortunate story. I know this kid. All we can do is pray for his safe return but it looks pretty bad at this point. This is going to tear at the heart of the university. I cannot believe that other players here are suspects. I guess it just goes to show you never know what someone is capable of. But I am hoping for a miraculous solution to this unfortunate and troubling story.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 01:46 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Baylor Hoopster Missing

Baylor basketball can't catch a break..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

As a Baylor grad this does not look good. There are rumors right now that some of his teammates may be suspects. Not a good thing at all.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I cannot believe that other players here are suspects. I guess it just goes to show you never know what someone is capable of.
This is the thing that gets to me, and I hope it proves to be incorrect. It's almost unfathomable to me that players recruited into a college program would be involved; especially a small program like a basketball program would be, and especially in a small close-knit environment like Baylor athletics has always seemed to be. How can players be involved? How can teammates be involved? What kind of people are being recruited?

I hope this turns out NOT to be the case.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Coach Bliss' Statement:

Baylor Head Men's Basketball Coach Dave Bliss released the following statement to the media this afternoon regarding the disappearance of Patrick Dennehy:

I have just a brief statement about the difficult and disturbing developments regarding the disappearance of Patrick Dennehy.
Right now the team, the university, all the members of the Baylor family and myself are just in disbelief about these latest reports. In fact, no part of it seems real. To everyone listening, I would like to ask you to help us -- help us pray, and help us understand. Our thoughts and prayers are with Patrick's family and loved ones.
Patrick has been a true gem since coming into our program. He's hard-working, with a solid grade point average, a young man we respect. His disappearance is terribly unsettling.
This morning, I have been calling the members of the team to reassure them that we are doing everything we can to find Patrick. I also called Patrick's mother, and I have to tell you it's the hardest call I have ever had to make. She is a brave woman and these are some awful moments for her.
Our players and coaches have talked to the investigators in order to provide information and assistance to them. As we all understand, the unknown or the lack of answers can produce a lot of anxiety, and our players certainly feel that. We hope for a miracle. They do happen. And, we certainly hope for some answers very soon for Patrick's family and also for our players and program.
I hope you understand that we have been asked not to take questions right now. Please know that we are working diligently to help authorities come up with answers. But at this point, there's just not anything more we can say.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Tom Stanton's Statement:

Baylor University Athletic Director Tom Stanton released the following statement June 27:

“Baylor University has just learned about these new developments involving the disappearance of Patrick Dennehy. The nature of the developments is certainly disturbing. It’s impossible to respond at this moment until we learn more about the investigation. Our thoughts and prayers right now remain with the Patrick’s family and everyone in the Baylor University family. Of course, we continue to offer our full assistance to the Waco law enforcement authorities. All we know now is there are more questions than answers. It’s important at this moment that we not speculate. However, we understand the interest of the public, and we will do our best to be as available as we can, be given the circumstances.”

Old 06-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Waco Police Department Statement:

The Waco Police Department released the following statement June 27:

The Waco Police Department continues to investigate the previous missing persons report regarding Baylor Basketball player, Patrick Dennehy. Waco Police have received information from several sources that would lead investigators to believe that foul play was involved in the disappearance of Mr. Dennehy. One of the potential leads that investigators have been following is that Dennehy was the victim of a homicide in the Waco area.
After authorities in Virginia Beach, VA located Dennehy's 1996 Chevy Tahoe in their jurisdiction they contacted the Waco Police and Waco investigators went to Virginia to follow up. From that lead and others, potential suspects in the disappearance of Dennehy potentially include fellow Baylor Basketball players. Information about possible crime scenes in the Waco are currently being investigated.

Old 06-29-2003, 12:10 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

oh god, i hope this isn't as bad as it looks. i really hope that we get a miracle here.

i used to live just outsdie of Virginia Beach - gives me the shivers that his car was found out there. what sense does that make?

Old 06-29-2003, 01:25 AM   #10
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I hope the culprits get caught.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:44 AM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

FBI now involved in case, spokesman says

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

WACO, Texas -- The FBI is lending its assistance into the disappearance of Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy, who authorities now fear might be a victim of homicide.

Meanwhile, police have questioned the teammates of Dennehy, who hasn't been heard from in more than two weeks.

FBI spokesman Rene Salinas of San Antonio confirmed to The Dallas Morning News on Saturday that there is federal involvement in the case. Dennehy's sport utility vehicle turned up abandoned in a parking lot last week in Virginia with its license plates missing, but investigators say the 21-year-old may have been killed in the Waco area.

"We were asked by the Waco police to assist in the case, and we are assisting," Special Agent Salinas told the Morning News.

Meanwhile, Waco police spokesman Steven Anderson told the Morning News on Friday that information has been received that might reclassify the search from missing person to homicide.

"It escalated from a missing person's case because of information coming in," Officer Anderson told the newspaper. "It's not classified as a homicide at this moment, but because of the information we're getting it's going that direction."

On Saturday, Dennehy's stepfather, Brian Brabazon, criticized Baylor officials, saying they seemed aloof and brushed off any foul-play theories when he first contacted them.

"Nobody did anything," Brabazon told the Waco Tribune-Herald. "I was doing all the calling. Nobody at that school did anything until the police department was involved.

"I think they should have at least called us or called somebody after Patrick went missing for three or four days.''

A school spokesman said coaches have kept in constant touch with Dennehy's mother.

"The coaching staff was very diligent in contacting the proper authorities when Pat first disappeared,'' Baylor spokesman Scott Stricklin said.

Coach Dave Bliss read a brief statement Saturday afternoon.

"Right now, the team, the university and all the members of the Baylor family and myself are in tremendous disbelief about the recent events,'' Bliss said. "If fact, no part really seems real.''

Investigators believe the 6-foot-10, 230-pound center might have been killed in the Waco area, though authorities wouldn't say what led them to that conclusion.

Officer Anderson said police have interviewed Baylor players, as well as other people, in the case.

"Several sources have mentioned names of players,'' Anderson said. Waco police spokeswoman Joy Mauer said Saturday that authorities had no additional information to release.

Brabazon said someone had recently stolen money from his stepson and that Dennehy had told Baylor coaches he was scared. The stepfather declined to discuss specifics.

"I don't see why anybody would threaten the guy,'' Brabazon said. "He's a great kid. He's never done anything wrong to people that I know of."

According to the Morning News, authorities found nothing unusual after searching a computer inside Dennehy's apartment.

"I heard that was a dead end," McLennan County District Attorney John Segrest told the Morning News. "It didn't give any indication of his whereabouts or his condition. It was just college stuff."

Several team members did not immediately return messages left by The Associated Press on Saturday.

Baylor player Ellis Kidd Jr. told the Morning News that police talked to a group of team members who hadn't already left for summer vacation.

"They just wanted our help,'' he said. "We just started having meetings with them. We don't know nothing. Everybody's shook up. We don't know what's going on. It's unknown.''

Investigators have searched Dennehy's apartment at least twice in recent days, the Tribune-Herald reported Saturday. They also sent at least one detective to Virginia Beach, Va., to examine Dennehy's Chevrolet Tahoe.

Dennehy grew up in the San Francisco Bay area and played for Wilcox High School in Santa Clara and St. Francis High School in Mountain View.

Dennehy played two years at the University of New Mexico under coach Fran Fraschilla before transferring to Baylor. His sophomore season there was clouded by problems, including an argument during a game in 2002 when Dennehy shoved a teammate, kicked over a chair and stalked off to the locker room. He didn't return to the game.

Fraschilla declined to discipline Dennehy, and the team doctor said Dennehy was being treated for "a confidential medical condition."

Dennehy sat out last season after transferring to Baylor.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Old 06-29-2003, 09:34 PM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

this is really weird and scary.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:05 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

The police have called a news conference for tomorrow afternoon.

This is wierd/difficult, etc for me because I know Patrick (casually) and it's wierd for me because I know Steve Anderson (who is a family friend). Anderson is the police spokesman. I know a lot fo the people being quoted in the national reports and it seems so surreal. But mostly, it is very numbing and troublesome. I am quite saddened by this entire situation.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:09 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

it seems all signs are pointing to the killer being dennehy's roommate.

just tragic. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:21 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

and really scary.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:46 PM   #16
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Informant says ex-teammate shot Dennehy in head

Associated Press

WACO, Texas -- A police informant told authorities that missing Baylor University basketball player Patrick Dennehy was shot in the head with a 9 mm handgun by a former teammate after the two had an argument, according to court documents released Monday.

Dennehy starred at New Mexico but never played a game for Baylor.

The teammate and former roommate, Carlton Dotson, told a cousin that he got in an argument with Dennehy while they were shooting guns in the Waco area and that Dennehy pointed a gun at Dotson as if to shoot him, the informant said.

But Dotson instead shot Dennehy in the head with the pistol, the informant said. Dotson said he then drove home to Hurlock, Md., and got rid of the guns along the way, the informant said.

The search warrant affidavit released Monday was filed June 23 in McLennan County by Waco police detective Bob Fuller.

District Attorney John Segrest declined to comment Monday, referring questions to Waco police. Fuller did not return a phone call to The Associated Press on Monday.

A message seeking comment was left Monday on an answering machine at Dotson's home in Maryland.

Waco Police Chief Alberto Melis said no body had been found and no arrests have been made, and he would not elaborate on any evidence. Waco police spokesman Steven Anderson has said authorities believe "potential suspects" include fellow Baylor basketball players.

Dennehy was reported missing by his family on June 19, and his sport utility vehicle, its license plates missing, was found last week in a mall parking lot in Virginia Beach, Va.

Melis said officers were treating the disappearance like a homicide because his department got a call "from an outside source" that said a homicide had occurred in the Waco area and the victim could be associated with a local university.

Dennehy transferred to Baylor in hopes of making what he called a fresh start after getting kicked off the team at New Mexico because of his temper.

The 6-foot-10, 230-pound center accepted a scholarship to play basketball at the Baptist school and told friends he had become a born-again Christian. He was a B student and rarely missed a class.

"It's a fresh start," he said when accepting a scholarship in May 2002. "I feel great. It's a new coach, a new team, a new set of personalities."

Over the weekend, Baylor coach Dave Bliss called Dennehy "a gem" and said: "The team, the university and all the members of the Baylor family and myself are in tremendous disbelief. ... No part really seems real."

Before he disappeared, Dennehy was attending summer school at Baylor, the world's largest Baptist university with more than 14,000 students.

At Baylor, he was not eligible to play basketball for a year, but he practiced with the team and sat on the bench during games.

The junior from Santa Clara, Calif., majored in speech communication and dreamed of playing in the NBA, then working in public relations for his favorite team, the Sacramento Kings, said John Cunningham, a speech communications professor at Baylor.

When Dennehy did not call home on Father's Day, June 15, his mother, Valorie Brabazon, and his stepfather, Brian Brabazon, got worried. When Dennehy's girlfriend called his parents looking for him, they started calling his friends.

What the stepfather found out -- he will not give details -- upset him so much that he decided to call the university.

Brabazon also said that someone had recently broken into Dennehy's SUV and stolen money from him, and that Dennehy had told Baylor coaches he was scared.

Dennehy played two seasons at New Mexico, where he averaged 10.6 points and 7.5 rebounds as a sophomore and was named honorable mention All-Mountain West Conference in 2001-02.

He was removed from the team after losing his temper during practice, less than two weeks after he argued with a teammate during a game, kicked a chair and stormed out.

Team doctors said a medical condition may have contributed to the outburst, but would not say what it was.

Dotson, a 6-foot-7 forward, averaged 4.6 points and 2.5 rebounds in a reserve role with Baylor last season. Dotson was released from his basketball scholarship after the 2002-'03 season and he was not expected to return next season.

He came to Baylor after spending two seasons at Paris Junior College, where he attended after originally signing with the University of Buffalo out of high school. He never went to Buffalo.

Old 06-30-2003, 07:56 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

that's horrible.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I am speechless and greatly saddened. We have lost a friend, a brother, a son and a nice young man. It would be easy for me to want vengeance on Dotson, but I pray for him as well.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #19
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Doh, forgot to check this forum. I knew this story would be posted, but idiot here posted about it in around the nba section.

Truly sad.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #20
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

forgot to ask drbio, do u know anything about that dotson dude?
Old 07-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

He's a former player here and it is my understanding that he left school last semester. I'm not sure of the relationship between he and Patrick right now though. The school is making an officail statement today at 3:30. I'll post it later.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:56 PM   #22
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

ok, thanks, doc.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 PM   #23
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not sure of the relationship between he and Patrick
I thought I read somewhere that they were roommates???
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #24
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

in the above story it says that they were former roommates.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:08 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

I meant what level of friendship etc......

This is from a CNN report...
Dotson came to Baylor a year ago from Paris Junior College, averaging 4.4 points a game last season. Several of Dennehy's neighbors said Dotson was one of the teammates closest to Dennehy.

CNN's attempts to reach Dotson have failed.

Sources said Dotson's basketball scholarship was not renewed and that he had plans to transfer to another school this fall. Dotson was supposed to have attended summer school in June but never showed up for classes, sources said.

Old 07-01-2003, 04:40 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

The 3:30 press conference revealed no new info.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:22 AM   #27
Chicago JK

drbio,
It seems like there are still a lot more questions than answers. I hear that there maybe someone named "harvey" that could be involved in this. What are you hearing?
Old 07-02-2003, 09:29 AM   #28
Chicago JK

Missing Player May Have Had Guns
Friend Says Dennehy Felt 'Threatened'
_____ From The Post _____

• Shortly before his disappearance, Patrick Dennehy, pictured, obtained firearms with the help of Carlton Dotson after being threatened by someone on the team, a friend told police.
• An informant tells police that Dennehy was shot in the head by a former Baylor teammate.

_____

By Greg Sandoval
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 2, 2003; Page D01

HURLOCK, Md., July 1 -- Shortly before his disappearance, Patrick Dennehy, the Baylor basketball player missing for almost three weeks, obtained firearms with the help of former roommate Carlton Dotson after being threatened by someone on the team, a friend of Dennehy's has told police.

Daniel Okopnyi, who met Dennehy six years ago while the two were freshmen at San Francisco area high schools, said today that he told Waco, Tex., police that Dennehy told him during a phone conversation on June 14 that "someone is out to get me."

Okopnyi declined to name the person who Dennehy said threatened him but Okopnyi told The Washington Post that it was not Dotson, a former star player at North Dorchester High in this town of 1,800 on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

"Patrick told me that he and Dotson got the guns to keep themselves safe," said Okopnyi, who lives in the Fort Worth area. "They had a gun, a rifle or shotgun, that they might have exchanged for another one. They were supposed to be helping each other. Now I don't know what to think."

Dotson spoke briefly tonight, saying only: "I have hired a lawyer and from now on everyone is going to have to go through him. I want everyone associated with this to know my prayers are with them."

Dotson's lawyer, Grady Irvin, said it was "too early in the case" to comment on Okopnyi's statement to police.

"I've only had a brief opportunity to spend with the family," Irvin said. "We're not going to give specifics or take a position. . . . My next step is to spend time with authorities to see if we can be of assistance."

Dotson spoke with police Friday and has not been charged or arrested.

Dennehy, 21, has not been seen since June 12, although Okopnyi said he talked with him on the phone two days later. Police in Delaware said an informant told them that Dotson told a cousin that he shot Dennehy in the head with a 9-millimeter handgun while the two were "shooting guns" in McLennan County, Tex., according to a court document released Monday. The informant said Dotson shot Dennehy after an argument during which Dennehy first pointed a gun at Dotson, according to the document, an affidavit used by Waco police to obtain a search warrant for Dennehy's computer.

Dotson's family members criticized the media this morning for reporting the informant's allegation.

"He hasn't been to court yet and the media has already tried and convicted him," Patricia Waters, a cousin of Dotson's, said in an interview in the family's home. "He's a good kid. Never been in any trouble."

Okopnyi was identified in the affidavit as a friend of Dennehy's. Dotson's family could not be reached late today to comment on Okopnyi's assertion that Dotson helped Dennehy obtain firearms.

According to Okopnyi, he called Dennehy on June 14 to invite him over the next day to celebrate his birthday, June 15.

Dennehy was "nervous and sounded paranoid," Okopnyi said. Okopnyi said that after telling him about the guns and the threats, Dennehy said he had discussed the threats with the Baylor coaching staff. Okopnyi said Dennehy then told him he had much more to say but that it could wait until he arrived at Okopnyi's home in Fort Worth the next day.

That was the last time Okopnyi spoke to Dennehy.

"I told him he was going too fast and not to think about it anymore," Okopnyi said. "I tried to reassure him that it was going to be okay."

Baylor spokesman Scott Stricklin said he did not know whether Dotson and Dennehy had obtained firearms and would not comment about Dennehy possibly being threatened. Stricklin defended the school's actions during the investigation.

"Anything we have learned about we have turned over to the police and chosen not to talk publicly about it at this time," Stricklin said. "Let's say the coaching staff was aware of the threat. We would have turned it over to investigators."

Okopnyi said he received a phone call a day or two later from Dennehy's girlfriend, Jessica De La Rosa, who was crying. She told him that she was afraid because of the threats Dennehy had received. De La Rosa asked Okopnyi to pick up and care for Dennehy's dogs, who hadn't been fed in days.

"He had never done anything like that, leave without calling or telling someone," Okopnyi said. "And then we hear about him supposedly being shot in the head and it's made my entire family sick and scared. He was a part of this family."

In the affidavit released Monday, De La Rosa told police that Dennehy had been threatened by someone named Harvey. She met Dennehy at the University of New Mexico, before he transferred to Baylor after walking off the court during a game and being dismissed from the team.

Dennehy's vehicle, a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe, was found stripped of its license plates in the parking lot of a Virginia Beach shopping center last week, more than 1,400 miles from Waco and 150 miles from Dotson's home in Hurlock. Dennehy is not believed to have any ties to the Virginia Beach area.

Officials from the Waco Police Department say they continue to treat this case as a missing person's investigation.

"If Dennehy had been threatened, I don't have that information," said Steve Anderson, public information officer for the Waco Police. "That's not to say that it isn't true, but I can't verify it at this moment.

"We're not going to rush this case or leave any stone unturned. Detectives are continuing to interview individuals even as we speak."

Anderson said that the number of tips Waco police officials have received has risen sharply because of the intense media coverage.

Waco police, with the help of the FBI, searched a 50-acre tract of land near Leroy, Tex., last Friday, Anderson said. The area was searched with the aid of cadaver dogs, Anderson said.

Irvin represents former Florida State quarterback Adrian McPherson, charged in Leon County, Fla., with grand theft, petty theft and forgery. An earlier charge of gambling against McPherson was tried and resulted in a mistrial.

Irvin arrived in Maryland tonight and met with Dotson and members of his family for the first time.

"My personal prayers go out to the Dennehy family during this period of grief and uncertainty," Irvin said. "We are specifically requesting members of the media respect the privacy."

A slew of reporters descended today on Hurlock, where Dotson was raised by his grandparents, Mildred and Gilbert Waters, who are his legal guardians.

Chris Waters, Patricia's brother and a great-grandson of Mildred and Gilbert Waters, said this morning that Dotson is nearby and "isn't hiding out. He's not running. He doesn't have to. Nobody has charged him with anything."

Dennehy, who transferred last fall, was ineligible to compete last season because of NCAA transfer rules. Friends and family said Dennehy and Dotson, who averaged 4.4 points for the Bears last season, grew close in a short time and were often seen together.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:24 AM   #29
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

any news on who this harvey person is?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:32 PM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

This story is not only confusing but scary in a way. From what I read I hear Dotson shot him in the head and now they are very close and they both got guns because someone was threatening them named Harvey? This is very unfortunate. I hate hearing about things like this it reminds me of the Bison Dele story. It's beyond me how people get rid of guys who are 7 foot tall you would think there would be some clues here. Hearing that Dotson and Dennehy were close friends makes this story even worse.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #31
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

yeah...i need a concise explanation of exactly what happened. is this harvey guy made up or for real or what?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:25 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

The sad thing is that we have created a society in which these kids are ashamed or afraid to ask for help. There was plenty of help here for the asking. This is really a hard thing for all of us here.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:37 PM   #33
Chicago JK

If I understand correctly, Dennehey's car was found in MD. Dotson is from MD and now he is back in MD with his family. Two questions....How did Dotson get to MD and are his fingerprints on the drivers side seat. if so, this will be hard to get out of.

Crazy story....I haven't been back to Baylor since 97 and it is strange seeing the campus on every news station.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

His Tahoe was found in Virginia.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:57 PM   #35
signoftimes

Yeah, the Tahoe was found 150 miles from Dotson's Maryland home. This is very strange.

It's hard not to play into conjecture, but I think doc might be right. This kid was in trouble and was afraid to ask for help.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #36
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't know while I think Dennehy didn't do the righ tthing by getting a gun im not sure on how I would've came about this. Someone threatening me enough to buy a gun? The thing that is crazy fro me is that it is 150 miles from Dotson's house. It makes it look like he just drove it out somewhere and left it and went back home. This seems like something that would happen in the movies.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 PM   #37
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

it's very weird. kind of surreal.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:51 AM   #38
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

The police need to be investigating this "informant." Where did he get his information? Will he testify? Where is this roommate? Alibis? This thing is a LONG way from over.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #39
signoftimes

Here's the latest on the Denehy case

Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas -- A missing Baylor basketball player reportedly had complained to a former coach before his disappearance
that he had twice been victimized by thefts.

Patrick Dennehy has been the object of a search for almost four weeks. His summer league coach said the center complained of cash being taken from his apartment and the theft of his car stereo.

Nelson Washington, of Redwood City, Calif., coached the Bay Area AAU team Dennehy played on. He told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that Dennehy told one of his assistants of the thefts.

He said assistant coach Rodney Belcher told him of Dennehy's complaints during a mid-June phone conversation after Dennehy disappeared.

The 6-foot-10-inch junior was reported as missing last month from the Baylor campus. His sport utility vehicle was found abandoned without its license plates in Virginia.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:00 PM   #40
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

still not much information.