Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #41
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm not at all convinced that Booby isn't currently the Mavs' best late-game option at point. He handled the offensive responsibility very well against Utah, he's got defensive chops that neither DC or James can match, and though his shooting has been atrocious, he's at least been careful with the ball.

I'm not sure what Rick's intentions are with Mike yet. Last night could easily have been nothing more than an outlier case where nothing was working and things sort of stabilized when James was out there so Rick stuck with him; that is, as opposed to last night being a reliable indicator of how James, Booby and Darren will be used going forward. One thing that has occurred to me Re: this latest instance of the Mavs' mining for aged veteran point guards is that it could be motivated almost entirely by a realization that if Dallas does end up finding an advantageous trade this season, it's all but certain to cost them DC or Booby, in which case they'd need another point guard for the season's stretch run.

Can't go that route because his offense/lack of aggression on offense would make him a prime target of the defense down the stretch. Just like defenses target Mayo/Collison with traps, teams would leave Roddy open for a shot.

He really has made a lot of inroads with regards to running the team but it looks to have come at the expense of his own offense. He doesn't know when to look for his own offense. Last night was a perfect example. He was content to making the pass to open shooters even though no one was connecting. After the 3rd/4th miss shot, a light has to go off that says' "I'm being guarded by someone who is 6in shorter than me and I am playing one of the worst defenses in the league". His one shot attempt in 7 minutes was very half-hearted even though he made great move to escape a a high trap.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #42
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
Can't go that route because his offense/lack of aggression on offense would make him a prime target of the defense down the stretch. Just like defenses target Mayo/Collison with traps, teams would leave Roddy open for a shot.
Not discounting the likelihood that defenses will adopt the strategy of daring Booby to score...I just don't see how that's any worse than Collison repeatedly $#!tting the bed with his turnovers (as SMC so aptly put it), creating fast break opportunities and trips to the line for the other team. And at any rate, with Booby moving better than he has in the last two years, I'd be willing to take the chance that with a slightly longer leash he'd start to rediscover a more aggressive offensive groove.

None of which is to say that I'm opposed to Collison getting more closing opportunities. In the long run it's probably in the Mavs' best interest if he can work his way through those late-game hiccups.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #43
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

The mavs still have a team? Thought they all left. Oh well, they suck.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

They both are benchwarmers at best.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This team is going nowhere, and Collison is unquestionably the most talented PG on this roster. I just don't understand why you don't let him close every game and see if he can work through his issues. He's still a youngish PG with room to improve.

I swear if Mike James starts playing meaningful minutes regularly I will absolutely lose my mind. Derek Fisher a few weeks ago was justifiable; the Mavs were still in the playoff hunt at that point. That's simply not the case anymore, and the rotation needs to be adjusted accordingly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #46
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I just don't understand why you don't let him close every game and see if he can work through his issues. He's still a youngish PG with room to improve.
That basically has been my argument for every young player over the years. Given the history it wouldn't be a surprise to see James out there in crunch time going forward, although I think it's not the most probable scenario. Here's hoping they realize that the season is lost rather sooner than later and start to play the young guys no matter what.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
That basically has been my argument for every young player over the years. Given the history it wouldn't be a surprise to see James out there in crunch time going forward, although I think it's not the most probable scenario. Here's hoping they realize that the season is lost rather sooner than later and start to play the young guys no matter what.
Well, over the years we haven't been in this situation. When you have a contending team, young players have to contribute at a higher level to justify their playing time.

It's interesting to me that Jae Crowder continues to be force fed minutes despite being relatively terrible while we continue to find retirees to take minutes from your young PG's.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, over the years we haven't been in this situation. When you have a contending team, young players have to contribute at a higher level to justify their playing time.

It's interesting to me that Jae Crowder continues to be force fed minutes despite being relatively terrible while we continue to find retirees to take minutes from your young PG's.
Carlisle seems to rave about Crowder's work ethic and how he continues to bring the right kind of attitude to work every day.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Carlisle seems to rave about Crowder's work ethic and how he continues to bring the right kind of attitude to work every day.
So are we to assume that Collison doesn't do those things?

It just seems very arbitrary.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #50
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
Love the coach but sometimes his authoritarian (at least it seems that way) approach is puzzling. I accept that you reward "attitude" to a certain degree, but absolutely no way you put it over actual performance and/or upside.

And then the Mavs are high on Cousins? That's going to be a lot of fun...

But in my eyes the biggest difference is that the Mavs still assume they can make the playoffs where others (include me here) realize they should think the other direction as soon as possible. The decision between playing 'attitude/veterans' and 'upside/potential' really isn't one once you're a lottery team.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #51
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sad, isn't it.

Reminds me of Stack & Avery...
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So are we to assume that Collison doesn't do those things?

It just seems very arbitrary.
You can assume whatever you want, lol. I just made a reply to what you said. Even when things were starting to go south, Carlisle made it a note to say Collison was an important piece to what was going on for the rest of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Sad, isn't it.

Reminds me of Stack & Avery...
Actually, Vince and Carlisle seems like a better example to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #53
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

For me, the biggest disappointment is the Kaman/Brand center combo. As much as I miss Jet, I can see a future in Mayo and Collison, but the center trade is not working out at all.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #54
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

replace 'trade' with 'deal'
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #55
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbill View Post
For me, the biggest disappointment is the Kaman/Brand center combo. As much as I miss Jet, I can see a future in Mayo and Collison, but the center trade is not working out at all.
They're still a step up from Haywood and Ian.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #56
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He just throws darts a dart board for minutes outside of dirk
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bench everybody!