Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all
Default Jamal Crawford

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5504907

Quote:
Frustrated the Atlanta Hawks have not offered him a contract extension, Jamal Crawford will ask the club to trade him, according sources with knowledge of the situation.

Crawford, who is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $10 million this season, approached the Hawks the first week of July about an extension. Hawks general manager Rick Sund has not made Crawford an offer, a source with the organization told ESPN.

Crawford

The sides are scheduled to meet next week and if the Hawks do not make Crawford an offer he considers reasonable, he will ask to be traded, according to sources. Crawford is looking for a three- or four-year extension worth about the same annual amount he will make this season, sources said.

Crawford, the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year, told the Hawks that if they don't want to extend his contract, they should trade him, sources said.

The Hawks offered Joe Johnson an extension last year, but Sund does not typically give extensions, preferring instead to let players complete their contracts. Crawford is expecting Sund to take that approach in their meeting, sources said.

But with a potential lockout looming and the next Collective Bargaining Agreement expected to be less favorable to the players, the 30-year-old Crawford, who averaged 18 points last season, wants security.

Crawford is the latest in a growing chorus of top players this summer to express a desire to be traded. In July, Chris Paul was looking to leave New Orleans, and more recently, Carmelo Anthony has reportedly told the Denver Nuggets that he wants out.

Some of Crawford's frustration, according to sources, is that the Hawks gave All-Star Johnson a six-year, $119 million contract, but have yet to offer Crawford anything.

Though Johnson led the team in scoring during the regular season, he struggled during the Hawks' second-round sweep at the hands of the Orlando Magic. Johnson averaged 12 points a game against the Magic; Crawford led the team with a 17-point average.
I'm not too familiar with his game, but I do know that he is exactly what the Mavs need in terms of shooting.

I am not sure what Atlanta would be looking for in return that I would be willing to give up. I kind of toyed around and came up with this trade:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2c8rg4y

I think Bibby is on the decline and Atlanta is looking to develop their young point guards. We can give them Terry, who can fill in their point guard slot when needed, but otherwise replace Jamal Crawford. Also, Barea can be a good guard off the bench for them. They may or may not use Stevenson, but perhaps Cuban can offer to pay for his buyout which would give Atlanta some financial relief. Otherwise, I think with Terry's partially guaranteed contract next year (not sure what the stipulations are), this trade is pretty even financially. Mostly, it's just a lateral trade for Atlanta to satisfy Jamal Crawford, but Dallas really hits home in getting a player who can produce offensively, especially in terms of shooting.

Kidd/Roddy/Bibby
Crawford/Roddy/DoJo
Butler/Marion
Dirk/Thomas
Haywood/Chandler

Essentially Bibby would take Barea's minutes. Kidd overall gets less minutes. Roddy gets time at the point and at the two which was probably the original plan regardless.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote